Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-12-2012, 05:11 AM   #211
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
4x4le is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4x4le Send a message via Yahoo to 4x4le
Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8E180 View Post
recently setup this fuel system for E85

fuel system consist of

POWERTUNE twin pump fuel kit
this is design to mount 2 walbro 500 hp fuel pumps
as u can see the top of the billet mounting bracket is design so that each pump can have its own fuel line

POWERTUNE top feed twin entry rail kit using I.D 2000cc injectors and TURBOSMART fuel reg

all the standard fuel lines are replaced with aeroflow fuel lines
each fuel pump runs its own fuel line into each end of the fuel rail
return line is taken from the center of the rail
2 fuel feed lines
1 fuel return line

I love that rail and washer combo. Did those come with the rail? Or are they custom? Im considering switching mine out to that setup now. Are those tophats for the injectors from powertune or id? I dont like the stupid things i had to do to my greddy rail/ manifold to make it ok with id's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
I know a lot of old tuners saying how fuel injection is crap and how carbs are better. Is it ? Of course not. Old, "respected mechanics" often fail at evolving, they have great knowledge on things that became useless and will just say the techs or tools they dont know are shit. Everyone does that actually. People also tend to reject their faults on something else, and it is way easier to accuse a distant piston maker than question your own abilities, or your friends machining job. That is how you get that kind of nonsense from "experienced people". The less you know, the more you are prone to believing them.

Same goes for most of horror stories... the truth is simple, as long as an item sells a lot, it will also fail a lot more than its competitor in volume, but %failure will still be the same.

Wiseco makes good pistons, same can be told from CP and most piston makers.
Well said
4x4le is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2012, 06:17 AM   #212
s14-365
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
s14-365 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
e85

Evo Im using e85 with rc1000 injectors
s14-365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:03 AM   #213
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
LuckyX2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
I know a lot of old tuners saying how fuel injection is crap and how carbs are better. Is it ? Of course not. Old, "respected mechanics" often fail at evolving, they have great knowledge on things that became useless and will just say the techs or tools they dont know are shit. Everyone does that actually. People also tend to reject their faults on something else, and it is way easier to accuse a distant piston maker than question your own abilities, or your friends machining job. That is how you get that kind of nonsense from "experienced people". The less you know, the more you are prone to believing them.

Same goes for most of horror stories... the truth is simple, as long as an item sells a lot, it will also fail a lot more than its competitor in volume, but %failure will still be the same.

Wiseco makes good pistons, same can be told from CP and most piston makers.
I understand that but I trust this guy and went with his word. Not to mention I was able to get the JE's which are normally $150-$200 more for the same price. That made the decision a lot easier haha. I'm sure Wiseco's are fine or else they wouldn't still be around but I wanted to go with the JE's. I was just explaining to S@nt0s how I wound up with the piston I did; I wasn't trying to start an argument about which piston is better.

Back to E85 now?
LuckyX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #214
JFoxx
BANNED

JFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choices
my race motor is getting converted to E85 with tuned down rci 2000cc injectors..... cant wait to get this beast on the track.......

and for those of you talking about water as a product of E85 vs gas, water is a product of any combustion reaction, chemistry basics.....
JFoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #215
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFoxx View Post
my race motor is getting converted to E85 with tuned down rci 2000cc injectors..... cant wait to get this beast on the track.......

and for those of you talking about water as a product of E85 vs gas, water is a product of any combustion reaction, chemistry basics.....
I think they're talking about water absorption in the fuel, not water as a combustion byproduct.

SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum - View Single Post - Formic acid?

Details on your motor?
Old 06-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #216
JFoxx
BANNED

JFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choices
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyX2 View Post

Details on your motor?
stroker sr22, darton sleeves, je pistons, bc rods, bc crank, pretty much all hks valvetrain, right now hks gtrs turbo, im going to see how much i can make with that, but most likely ill be switching that with my gt35r twinscroll. looking to make 550ish with that turbo on E85.. (just about everything that can be done to the motor has been done, i just dont feel like listing all the mods.....)
Old 06-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #217
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
stroker sr22, darton sleeves, je pistons, bc rods, bc crank, pretty much all hks valvetrain, right now hks gtrs turbo, im going to see how much i can make with that, but most likely ill be switching that with my gt35r twinscroll. looking to make 550ish with that turbo on E85.. (just about everything that can be done to the motor has been done, i just dont feel like listing all the mods.....)
Awesome build. May I make a suggestion though? Why not go for a GTX3071 instead of a GT35? Between your extra .2L and E85, the GTX3071 ought to get you to 550whp just fine but will be a lot more responsive. Even a regular GT3071 should be able to do close to 550whp on a 2.2L with E85.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #218
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

3071 is kinda mismatched, its like a flip flop of how the 2871 is mismatched. I like (and wish I would have went with) the 3076
Old 06-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #219
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4le View Post
3071 is kinda mismatched, its like a flip flop of how the 2871 is mismatched. I like (and wish I would have went with) the 3076
Forgot about the 3076, that'd work too. Basically I just think a GT35 is too large for 550whp on a 2.2L and E85 and he'll be sacrificing a good bit of response. Hell, I'll be shooting for 500whp hopefully with a GTX2867 or EFR6758 on a 10:1 2L with E85. If I can do that (and I believe I can) then a GTX30XX should have no problem getting to 550whp on a 2.2L (8.5:1?)
Old 06-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #220
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
S@nt0s is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Nope the 35r on e85 will respond well and will make 550 very easy
Old 06-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #221
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

I wouldnt count on 500 from the 2867 and Im unfamiliar with the 6758 but it sounds like a similar sized turbo with a slightly larger turbine?

I wish I would have started a build thread on zilvia like i did on the other forums. I dont know If I listed any of the specs of the new engine I working on right now. I wish I would have sold off my 2871 and went to the 3076 and I may later on.....
I went with a t3 divided housing for my 2871R with a UNDIVIDED maxworks manifold and a sound performance quick spool valve. Engine is darton sleeved and bored to 90mm and stroked to 92mm with K1 full counterbalanced crank. 10:1 compression custom made weisco pistons (mofos took 3 months to get designed and made). Oil squirters had to go. Cosworth head gasket. Tial mvs wastegate. Greddy intercooler, greddy IM, greddy fuel rail, aem fpr, in tank walbro feeding inline walbro, 4 bar base fuel pressure, ID1000s. Spitfire coils, highport se-r intake cam, gtir exhaust cam.
Wanted to go for crazy spool/tq from a sr to be able to make good low end tq and didnt want to give up any hp from my last engine setup which was just a 9:1 2.0 with t2 2871r on e85. I was happy with the hp and didnt want to give any of that up, but wanted more power down low so didnt want huge cams, didnt want a bigger or smaller turbo, didnt want to budge on hardly anything so I made the engine bigger, higher compression, and quick spool valve
Old 06-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #222
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@nt0s View Post
Yea, I know a guy that was making like 630 on his sr with a 35r at a little over 30lbs on 116. He did however have to tear into the engine too often. Just bad luck, dropped valve, lifted the head ect.

I made 488whp on a rb25 at 22-24 psi with a 35r on pump. The customer only allowed me to rev to 7k due to the block being stock, stock oil pump and no oiling mods. Its hp was climbing strait up till the limiter and I know at the same boost level it probably could have made 550 on pump easy, that just isnt what I was paid to do though... That turbo had decent low end response (I know rb and sr is apples to oranges). Even though it didnt "kick in" until later on in the rpms, the power was still stronger that some of the smaller turbo combos I have seen people run.

He was still making 240whp at 4k I would have loved to seen this thing with a built block on e85 on about 30lbs

edit:
On the street, this car felt like its acceleration was very lenier, it didnt get "faster" when the power came on because it just blew the 275s off at all speeds I felt comfortable being a passenger (100mph)

Which brings me to a question for yall doing well over 600, are you running drag radials at all times? My car is a drift car so 600 isnt necessary to me, but it seems that it would be difficult to put down much more than that in our cars without some healthy tires.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #223
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@nt0s View Post
I agree that it will make 550whp and respond well but my point is that a GTX30xx could get to 550whp also and do it with much better response. A GT3071 would come up a little short but the GTX ought to do it and a GTX3076 for sure. It would be more work, but it's not impossible to squeeze 550whp out of a 2.2L on E85 with a GTX30XX.

Quote:
I wouldnt count on 500 from the 2867 and Im unfamiliar with the 6758 but it sounds like a similar sized turbo with a slightly larger turbine?

I wish I would have started a build thread on zilvia like i did on the other forums. I dont know If I listed any of the specs of the new engine I working on right now. I wish I would have sold off my 2871 and went to the 3076 and I may later on.....
I went with a t3 divided housing for my 2871R with a UNDIVIDED maxworks manifold and a sound performance quick spool valve. Engine is darton sleeved and bored to 90mm and stroked to 92mm with K1 full counterbalanced crank. 10:1 compression custom made weisco pistons (mofos took 3 months to get designed and made). Oil squirters had to go. Cosworth head gasket. Tial mvs wastegate. Greddy intercooler, greddy IM, greddy fuel rail, aem fpr, in tank walbro feeding inline walbro, 4 bar base fuel pressure, ID1000s. Spitfire coils, highport se-r intake cam, gtir exhaust cam.
Wanted to go for crazy spool/tq from a sr to be able to make good low end tq and didnt want to give up any hp from my last engine setup which was just a 9:1 2.0 with t2 2871r on e85. I was happy with the hp and didnt want to give any of that up, but wanted more power down low so didnt want huge cams, didnt want a bigger or smaller turbo, didnt want to budge on hardly anything so I made the engine bigger, higher compression, and quick spool valve

My example build would be Enjuku Racing's 480whp 11:1 E85 SR20 with a GT2871. A GTX2867 with it's extra flow should do better.

Nice build by the way and I believe I've seen your build on another forum (forget which). My biggest curiosity is that spool valve. Did you see any benefit from it? And why do you want to go to a larger turbo after you built your engine trying to keep as much power down low as possible?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #224
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Yea, I know a guy that was making like 630 on his sr with a 35r at a little over 30lbs on 116.
This is my point exactly. If there are people making 630hp with the GT35 on an SR (2L?) then he should probably downsize the turbo if he's going for almost 100hp less on a 2.2L.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #225
JFoxx
BANNED

my only thoughts were that i would rather have my setup tuned modestly to make 550 then have my setup maxed out to make it. and im talking RWHP if that makes a difference....

plus i would like to have some +/- play because im trying to match my cars handling with power, and how i like it. because yes there is such a thing as too much power....
Old 06-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #226
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
my only thoughts were that i would rather have my setup tuned modestly to make 550 then have my setup maxed out to make it. and im talking RWHP if that makes a difference....

plus i would like to have some +/- play because im trying to match my cars handling with power, and how i like it. because yes there is such a thing as too much power....
Makes sense. In that case, perhaps the GT35 is good for you. You wouldn't have to struggle to get to 550whp as much as you would with a GTX30. You'll reach the same power with less psi and ignition advance making it more reliable but as the expense of losing some power down low.

Not the way I'd build my engine but I totally understand where you're coming from in terms of reliability. Personal preference really.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #227
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Which brings me to a question for yall doing well over 600, are you running drag radials at all times? My car is a drift car so 600 isnt necessary to me, but it seems that it would be difficult to put down much more than that in our cars without some healthy tires.
cars with power will need to run tires with the grip otherwise they are asking for trouble, not saying it has to be a drag radial as the soft sidewall isnt nice in the turns but there are others that arent as bad and even in drifting you need traction in the rear as hard as it may be to believe

i personalyl want a little more low end which is why im going 4.6 Gear ratio LOL. then soon ill be building another motor for whenever mine gives up but it will be a 11:1 motor

sure the 30xx can do it but it will work harder, and put more wear on the turbo as well as the motor. plus depending on what you want too much low end will hurt you as your traction will be down to 3rd and up etc
Old 06-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #228
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

Oh, i know traction is indeed good for drifting and my car has good traction and stability in corners however it is easy to overcome the traction limits with the right foot.

As far as why i wish i would have went with a larger turbo, i hardly dout there would be much if any low end performance difference on my setup and i would have a higher top end potential. The turbine housing was 500 for me to put on my used 2871 too. Could have sold the 2871 and took that money and the housing money and got a new 3076. My new engine is not yet running still.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #229
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
inopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
do you have a dyno graph of this setup? how much power did it put down?
inopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #230
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by inopsey View Post
Quote:
My new engine is not yet running still.
I don't think he does...
Old 06-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #231
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inopsey View Post

My new engine is not going yet. The last one I deleted my file of the graph because shortly after tuning it we found that the new dyno needed some calabration and its readings were possibly wrong. The numbers were exaggerated by up to 10% and I made 437rwhp. It was a dyno dynamics. I had the oil pickup go bad and spun a bearing. I never redynoed.

Im sure I have the graph somewhere still but I know I dont have the scan of it and I dont have it hosted anymore
Old 06-14-2012, 04:02 AM   #232
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
STR8E180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
I love that rail and washer combo. Did those come with the rail? Or are they custom? Im considering switching mine out to that setup now. Are those tophats for the injectors from powertune or id? I dont like the stupid things i had to do to my greddy rail/ manifold to make it ok with id's

Well said
this is what comes in the rail kit

if you buy the injector and rail kit u will get this

STR8E180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:09 AM   #233
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

STR8E180 is an unknown quantity at this point
for those people wondering how much power u can make with a standard sr20 bottom end on E85

modifications

Brain Crower 272 intake and exhaust cams
Brain Crower valve spring and retainers
Brain Crower Adjustable cam gear ( exhaust side only )
ARP head studs
Tomei head gasket

completely STANDARD BOTTOM END!!!!!

POWERTUNE steam pipe manifold
Precision 5557 ( .63 exhaust housing )
Tial MVS external gate

fuel system consist of
powertune twin pump kit
powertune top feed rail ( standard inlet manifold )

head bolts starts stretching at 510hp at the rear wheels which is why we upgraded to the ARP items

after upgrading the head bolts and head gasket
The result was 525hp at the wheels with a 35psi spike which fell down to a stable 33psi.
STR8E180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #234
JDM SPUG
Zilvia Junkie

JDM SPUG is an unknown quantity at this point
Just ordered all my Teflon coated lines.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #235
nickgbmx
Zilvia Junkie

nickgbmx is an unknown quantity at this point
i have a 1991 sentra with a Avenir SR20DET current has 550CC injector and with a GT28RS did 311WHP at 15PSI. looking to hit the 360WHP mark what injectors would everyone reccommend, JWT said use factory R35 injector which i have seen to be flow tested at roughly 560cc not being much of an upgrade. i already have top feed fuel rail walbro 255 etc so only upgrade needed is injectors and a tune. im looking at 750cc low impedance top feed RC does that sound right?
Old 07-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #236
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgbmx View Post
i have a 1991 sentra with a Avenir SR20DET current has 550CC injector and with a GT28RS did 311WHP at 15PSI. looking to hit the 360WHP mark what injectors would everyone reccommend, JWT said use factory R35 injector which i have seen to be flow tested at roughly 560cc not being much of an upgrade. i already have top feed fuel rail walbro 255 etc so only upgrade needed is injectors and a tune. im looking at 750cc low impedance top feed RC does that sound right?
550's should support 360 on E85.
i have some 850's for sell if interested only ran on C16.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #237
turbociv910
Zilvia Member

turbociv910 is an unknown quantity at this point
i had 750s in there and was at 90% at 350 on E
Old 07-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #238
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbociv910 View Post
i had 750s in there and was at 90% at 350 on E
at what base pressure?
with 1000's on 38psi base pressure with 410awhp i was at like 60%
Old 10-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #239
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
turbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to turbo2nr
need opinion on re-doing my fuel setup,

motor built ka-t
turbo gt3582r 1.06 divided t3
power goal : 600whp e85

plans for fuel setup:
id1000cc
ams top feed rail
aeromotive fpr
-8feed/-6 return
255 intank
surge/swirl pot
(2) 044 external
(1) fuel filter external
-6 to surge and external pumps
-8 to fuel rail.

think i can get away with only one 044 and id1000cc and make 600whp on that setup?

s14 kouki ka-t
turbo2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #240
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2nr View Post
need opinion on re-doing my fuel setup,

motor built ka-t
turbo gt3582r 1.06 divided t3
power goal : 600whp e85

plans for fuel setup:
id1000cc
ams top feed rail
aeromotive fpr
-8feed/-6 return
255 intank
surge/swirl pot
(2) 044 external
(1) fuel filter external
-6 to surge and external pumps
-8 to fuel rail.

think i can get away with only one 044 and id1000cc and make 600whp on that setup?
you might wanna go bigger on the injectors, I'd say 1200cc or so.

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote