Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #211
crzsteveo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
crzsteveo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
it doesn't even look like a 240 anymore!

I wish there were more pictures of the S&W cages in 240s. I really could use some reference pics of the interior
crzsteveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2013, 12:53 AM   #212
ehhhregartless
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
ehhhregartless is making a name for him/her selfehhhregartless is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow40sx View Post
SR Z33? More info please
build
http://zilvia.net/f/builds-builds-on...car-build.html
Old 12-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #213
sviellvoicae
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
sviellvoicae will become famous soon enoughsviellvoicae will become famous soon enoughsviellvoicae will become famous soon enoughsviellvoicae will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzsteveo View Post
it doesn't even look like a 240 anymore!

I wish there were more pictures of the S&W cages in 240s. I really could use some reference pics of the interior
S&W "10 point" did a cross harness bar instead of the v downward bars they offer. Cage fit really well.

sviellvoicae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #214
sviellvoicae
Zilvia Member

sviellvoicae will become famous soon enoughsviellvoicae will become famous soon enoughsviellvoicae will become famous soon enoughsviellvoicae will become famous soon enough
Sorry forgot front shot

Old 12-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #215
crzsteveo
Zilvia Addict

awesome stuff man. im going to be getting there half cage. its going to be a challenge to run a full interior
Old 12-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #216
702s13
Leaky Injector

702s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Super nice cage I think I'm getting the same one. Did it come notched? Also your rear down tubes go to the cross bar instead of the rear strut towers. Is that legal?
Old 12-22-2013, 03:06 AM   #217
sviellvoicae
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 702s13 View Post
Super nice cage I think I'm getting the same one. Did it come notched? Also your rear down tubes go to the cross bar instead of the rear strut towers. Is that legal?
Was legal for our local events. Nothing I'm doing or was planning on doing required them going to rear towers. It came pre notched but the fitment wasn't the best so we notched a few. Car is now scrapped and cage was sold. Planning on having a custom cage built now. Usually the price of a custom cage is the way to go over something like this as long as you can count on the fabricator.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #218
702s13
Leaky Injector

702s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool thank you sir!
Old 12-23-2013, 11:06 PM   #219
joshchewuhh
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (56)
joshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 56 reviews
Send a message via AIM to joshchewuhh
Cusco 7pt. Full Interior. Nothing Special

joshchewuhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #220
crzsteveo
Zilvia Addict

oh man that is some hot stuff
Old 12-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #221
tauntdevil
Zilvia Junkie

tauntdevil is a well-known jackass
Hello again.
I was wondering before i finish all my measurements for my car, about the door bars.
I am working on building the cage once and under formula D specs but I either over think or dont understand one part which I would like to do.

The setup is Nascar style door bars but they go further out into and near/against the door skin like this miata:

Now reading the rules (updated 2014 version) I dont seem to fully get if it is saying we can do this or cannot do this and also if there is a bar bending limit. Of course, my goal would be two bends only but seems tricky with a S14 chassis and how far back my seat needs to be for myself to be comfortable.

The section for the door bars relating to my area:
"Teams may also choose to install a second row of double horizontal door bars that run
parallel to the inner bars and extend into the outer door skin, these are also known as
“NASCAR-STYLE” bars. In this configuration, the outer bars must also have a minimum of two (2) vertical tube sections connecting the upper and lower bars. The inner door panel and door internals may be removed. Side protection must not pass through the B-pillar."

Does anyone know if I can acheive this with a S14 with two bends and if it would be legal for FD?

On a relative note:
Before calling me an idiot and everything for this, do know this.
I do not NEED this style of door bars, it is not something where its my only option, but I want it as to me, I like this style of door bars that go out a bit.
Also, I am not going into formula D next season or even next year, etc. BUT, doesnt mean I dont want the car to be able to pass their tech with flying colors if it presented itself.

Thank you in advance for answering my noobish questions.

S14 KA NA two cylinders, 75whp limper
tauntdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:02 AM   #222
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Imarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tauntdevil View Post
Hello again.
I was wondering before i finish all my measurements for my car, about the door bars.
I am working on building the cage once and under formula D specs but I either over think or dont understand one part which I would like to do.

The setup is Nascar style door bars but they go further out into and near/against the door skin like this miata:

Now reading the rules (updated 2014 version) I dont seem to fully get if it is saying we can do this or cannot do this and also if there is a bar bending limit. Of course, my goal would be two bends only but seems tricky with a S14 chassis and how far back my seat needs to be for myself to be comfortable.

The section for the door bars relating to my area:
"Teams may also choose to install a second row of double horizontal door bars that run
parallel to the inner bars and extend into the outer door skin, these are also known as
“NASCAR-STYLE” bars. In this configuration, the outer bars must also have a minimum of two (2) vertical tube sections connecting the upper and lower bars. The inner door panel and door internals may be removed. Side protection must not pass through the B-pillar."

Does anyone know if I can acheive this with a S14 with two bends and if it would be legal for FD?

On a relative note:
Before calling me an idiot and everything for this, do know this.
I do not NEED this style of door bars, it is not something where its my only option, but I want it as to me, I like this style of door bars that go out a bit.
Also, I am not going into formula D next season or even next year, etc. BUT, doesnt mean I dont want the car to be able to pass their tech with flying colors if it presented itself.

Thank you in advance for answering my noobish questions.
I don't see anything about a bend limit.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #223
Nissansota240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (21)
Nissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
s14

S14

Cage done by Patience Metal Fab

Old 12-29-2013, 10:36 PM   #224
crzsteveo
Zilvia Addict

^do you have full rear interior?
Old 12-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #225
Nissansota240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (21)
Nissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzsteveo View Post
^do you have full rear interior?
Was going to but then decided to just sell some of it. Would have had to modify the top part of the back seat due to the cage.

I just wanted to make sure that everything from the back of the front seats forward or pretty much everything you can see while driving had interior.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #226
crzsteveo
Zilvia Addict

awesome. good stuff man. love seeing cars with interior with cages
Old 01-04-2014, 03:36 AM   #227
SpazzyS13

Trader Rating: (0)
SpazzyS13 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cage was done by a local buddy, recently painted thought I'd share. I'm putting the interior back together now.

SpazzyS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:44 PM   #228
tauntdevil
Zilvia Junkie

tauntdevil is a well-known jackass
How are you guys welding the flat plates to the floors? Are you cutting out the floor where the flat plate will be going and welding it in or?
The floor in my s14 is so jumbled from friends letting the car down onto jack stands way too hard and denting it all. Flattened it out best I could but still no where close for a flat piece of plate. Just wondering how you guys do it.

S14 KA NA two cylinders, 75whp limper
tauntdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:54 PM   #229
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Racetech, Portland. 8-pt.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #230
sonomadrifter
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
sonomadrifter is a jewel in the roughsonomadrifter is a jewel in the roughsonomadrifter is a jewel in the roughsonomadrifter is a jewel in the roughsonomadrifter is a jewel in the roughsonomadrifter is a jewel in the roughsonomadrifter is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by di-devol View Post
Racetech, Portland. 8-pt.
Solid design and fitment. Curious to see a close up on the front A-pillar boxes and how they are reinforced.
sonomadrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:44 AM   #231
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonomadrifter View Post
Solid design and fitment. Curious to see a close up on the front A-pillar boxes and how they are reinforced.
Best pic I got of it at the moment, I can get better ones this weekend.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #232
bbliss126

bbliss126 is an unknown quantity at this point
Heres some pics of after i got the cage back from the fab shop, after i had the cage properly rewelded and a bar added, hated the dull silver and faded gutted wheel wells and floor so truck liner'd that also.

before

& After

bbliss126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #233
mr.fixit

Trader Rating: (1)
mr.fixit is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ok so im finally getting around to building my cage. I ordered 1.5 x .120 wall DOM and thats in spec to fd rules if i recall. Now DOM is measured on the OD opposed to sch. 40 which would be ID. It arrived at my work today but it looks a little small. It is 1.5 on the OD with a wall thickness of about 1/8th inch. What is everybody else using because alot of ppls cages look to be out of 2 inch or bigger.
mr.fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:07 PM   #234
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

1.5in x .095 passes tech for FD.

1.5 x .120 is fine, I have 1.75" x .095. I just liked the thicker look and he had that in stock.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:41 PM   #235
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fixit View Post
Ok so im finally getting around to building my cage. I ordered 1.5 x .120 wall DOM and thats in spec to fd rules if i recall. Now DOM is measured on the OD opposed to sch. 40 which would be ID. It arrived at my work today but it looks a little small. It is 1.5 on the OD with a wall thickness of about 1/8th inch. What is everybody else using because alot of ppls cages look to be out of 2 inch or bigger.
Pipe is measured ID, Tube is measured OD. .120 is almost 1/8 of an inch. Not to sound like a jackass but, if you are going to be building an FD legal cage you might need to know these things. Cage building is not something to be taken lightly. Do it right and you could save someone's life...do it wrong and you may kill someone.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:56 AM   #236
stephens14sr
Zilvia Junkie

stephens14sr is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbliss126 View Post
Heres some pics of after i got the cage back from the fab shop, after i had the cage properly rewelded and a bar added, hated the dull silver and faded gutted wheel wells and floor so truck liner'd that also.

[/URL]
rear down bars arent legal
Old 01-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #237
Chamb-O
Leaky Injector

Chamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephens14sr View Post
rear down bars arent legal
Ya I was thinking the same thing for like 4 or 5 of the cages in this thread...
I'm pretty sure that Formula D, NASA, and SCCA specify that the rear braces need to connect to the chassis not another bar...in this case a strut tower reinforcement.
Chamb-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:06 PM   #238
foreverdark
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (13)
foreverdark is close to perfectionforeverdark is close to perfectionforeverdark is close to perfectionforeverdark is close to perfectionforeverdark is close to perfectionforeverdark is close to perfectionforeverdark is close to perfectionforeverdark is close to perfectionforeverdark is close to perfectionforeverdark is close to perfectionforeverdark is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Done by Garage Life.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:43 PM   #239
stephens14sr
Zilvia Junkie

stephens14sr is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamb-O View Post
Ya I was thinking the same thing for like 4 or 5 of the cages in this thread...
I'm pretty sure that Formula D, NASA, and SCCA specify that the rear braces need to connect to the chassis not another bar...in this case a strut tower reinforcement.
yeah, i bought my new chassis with an older cage already in it. so i have to redo/add some to mine. because this is how most were made for a while. but is no longer legal.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:45 PM   #240
mr.fixit

mr.fixit is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnie Fraz View Post
Pipe is measured ID, Tube is measured OD. .120 is almost 1/8 of an inch. Not to sound like a jackass but, if you are going to be building an FD legal cage you might need to know these things. Cage building is not something to be taken lightly. Do it right and you could save someone's life...do it wrong and you may kill someone.
Well I'm putting thought into and understand how to make a cage strong and how the load is absorbed and dispersed. I was just curious on the tube because we only deal with pipe at my work. And I have an experienced tube bender/ rollcage builder lending a hand, which actually I welded the cages for him on his crawler.
mr.fixit is offline   Reply With Quote