Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-15-2011, 09:31 AM   #2251
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13Kurt View Post
People help me get to a 10.9! I work for and drive for a shop and we tested a new simple setup. This is on stock suspension and 26'' et streets. The best 60' of the day was only a 1.8 because we were playing with the tire pressures. the fastest pass of the day was an 11.6 and 120. The setup is:
Legit jdm 96 s14
stock vtc sr
stock t28
50 ish shot of nitrous (bottle pressure was terrible)
Would only hold 15-17 psi to 7k (needs to hold 20)

Do you guys think with good bottle pressure and it holding 20psi and a 1.6 60ft would net a 10.9?
How much does the car weigh? 50 shot with that turbo at that PSI is only gonna get you in the 350whpish range. 120 traps would dictate a light light light car.

To get into a 10.9 you're gonna need more power, or to get the 60' in the 1.5 range.

FWIW: THat's the exact times my car went with a 1.88 60' in a full weight S14 with 400whp.

Quote:
As long as there is quality oil in the car the turbo should hold that fine. The same reason my s13 made 267/310 on a t25 and is still running fine.
310 ft lbs from a T25? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Is that a new turbo? Cause I am in line for one!!! My CHRA is blown, I wonder if the front and rear housings will work????
These are the new GTX series turbos. They use the standard turbine housings but with a new CHRA and their special compressor houinsgs.

Unsure on ETA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabasco122 View Post
OMFG, do want! i wanted a gtx series, but the smallest they made was the 3071. how much??
Not sure yet on that, it's all VERY new stuff.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2011, 09:47 AM   #2252
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
How much does the car weigh? 50 shot with that turbo at that PSI is only gonna get you in the 350whpish range. 120 traps would dictate a light light light car.

To get into a 10.9 you're gonna need more power, or to get the 60' in the 1.5 range.

FWIW: THat's the exact times my car went with a 1.88 60' in a full weight S14 with 400whp.

310 ft lbs from a T25? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

These are the new GTX series turbos. They use the standard turbine housings but with a new CHRA and their special compressor houinsgs.

Unsure on ETA

Not sure yet on that, it's all VERY new stuff.
ATP Turbo is actually 5 minutes from my house, which is so win for me. So if anyone has it, they will.... Probably March or April...
Old 11-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #2253
s13Kurt
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
s13Kurt is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Cody we haven't weighed the car but the only thing its missing is the upper back seat and the trunk carpet. Full interior, glass, heavy wheels up front, a/c. Everything is still there. I don't think the car is that light compared to any other stock s14.
s13Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:58 AM   #2254
s13Kurt
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Cody we haven't weighed the car but the only thing its missing is the upper back seat and the trunk carpet. Full interior, glass, heavy wheels up front, a/c. Everything is still there. I don't think the car is that light compared to any other stock s14.
Oh and if you look at a couple posts up I posted the dyno graph of my car. I thought it was a t28 but the part number says different
Old 11-16-2011, 02:29 AM   #2255
SR20DETpwr
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
SR20DETpwr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I want to give a big THANK YOU to codyace and everyone else who has posted in this thread with useful information. It really helped me feel extremely comfortable with choosing this size turbo for a responsive street vehicle. I've had my '92 240sx since 2007 and just had the car dyno tuned by Ill Garage with a Precision .86 2871r making 393.4whp at 18.5psi on 91 octane. Most parts were bought from Jorge at TRU Motorsports. He beats competitor pricing, so there really wasn't any reason for me to order through anyone else (tell him Justin sent ya!). I have attached a pic of the dyno graph and some shots of the car.

The setup....
sr20det redtop (built by Stewart Engines LLC.)
Bottom = ARP main studs, Crower billet steel rods, Wiseco pistons (8.5:1), ACL race bearings, Darton sleeves, and S14 oil pickup
Head = HKS stage 2 cams (intake 264 11.5mm lift / exhaust 272 11.5mm lift), HKS adjustable cam gears, Manley springs, Crower titanium retainers, Apexi metal headgasket, Ferrea valves, bowl work and oil galleys enlarged
Air and Fuel = Precision 850cc top feed injectors, Greddy intake manifold, MAP and IAT sensors, Precision 2871r .86
ECU = AEM EMS series II (I went with this because I plan on stepping up in the future)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 240sx - dyno.jpg (16.4 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Side @ Ill Garage.jpg (169.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00615.jpg (510.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00613.jpg (538.1 KB, 109 views)
SR20DETpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #2256
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
I just don't understand how you're trapping 120 mph then with the 350 whp...it just doesn't make sense physics wise. Do you have aactual timeslip? I'd love to see the 1/8th vs 1/4 numbers.

Quote:
Oh and if you look at a couple posts up I posted the dyno graph of my car. I thought it was a t28 but the part number says different
That graph looks like a 28 more than anything to me, the torque is still very very good though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR20DETpwr View Post
I want to give a big THANK YOU to codyace and everyone else who has posted in this thread with useful information. It really helped me feel extremely comfortable with choosing this size turbo for a responsive street vehicle. I've had my '92 240sx since 2007 and just had the car dyno tuned by Ill Garage with a Precision .86 2871r making 393.4whp at 18.5psi on 91 octane. Most parts were bought from Jorge at TRU Motorsports. He beats competitor pricing, so there really wasn't any reason for me to order through anyone else (tell him Justin sent ya!). I have attached a pic of the dyno graph and some shots of the car.
Looks like a good running car man! Nice sold graph...just furhter proof what a good cam choice and a good tune can do

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 11-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #2257
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLiDe_WaYz View Post
Lmfao.... You posted a for sale add in the 2871 thread, fail much?
you fail
much in not knowing that I was an active poster in this thread untill I upgraded. so I feel passing on savings to fellow 2871 r turbo owners
ia doing them a favor.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #2258
s13Kurt
Zilvia Member

[QUOTE=codyace;4358590]I just don't understand how you're trapping 120 mph then with the 350 whp...it just doesn't make sense physics wise. Do you have aactual timeslip? I'd love to see the 1/8th vs 1/4 numbers.

That graph looks like a 28 more than anything to me, the torque is still very very good though.

Cody check out the pics. I have a vid also but I dont think I'll be able to get it to post. I think I'm just driving the crap of the car lol. Just learning how to drive the car went from a 12.4-11.6 in the same day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321499481.528033.jpg (141.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321499532.481941.jpg (48.4 KB, 66 views)
Old 11-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #2259
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeS14 View Post
you fail
much in not knowing that I was an active poster in this thread untill I upgraded. so I feel passing on savings to fellow 2871 r turbo owners
ia doing them a favor.
Yup, while not normally accepted, I think it fits here....it's a proven setup!

Quote:
Cody check out the pics. I have a vid also but I dont think I'll be able to get it to post. I think I'm just driving the crap of the car lol. Just learning how to drive the car went from a 12.4-11.6 in the same day
That car runs good though man no doubt. I'd put it's actual power more than what it dyno'd so awesome stuff Still kinda confused on the turbo you have that trapped 120 though...that was the 2871 correct? A 28R won't push it fast enough to get there.

Either way, good driving!

Old 11-18-2011, 11:55 AM   #2260
codyace
Post Whore!

Oh and guys teeter tottering on this idea, FRSPORT has an AWESOME deal right now on HKS Step II 264 Intake and Exhaust Cams with black fridday deals

....as in, they are 380 bucks for the pair....that's a super duper deal. While I prefer the JWT S3's, the HKS 264 Step II's would be a close second:

Frsport.com ->Home

You'll need to put the cams in your 'shopping cart' to see the upgraded pricing. Excellent deal.

Last edited by codyace; 11-18-2011 at 12:41 PM..
Old 11-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #2261
s13Kurt
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Yup, while not normally accepted, I think it fits here....it's a proven setup!

That car runs good though man no doubt. I'd put it's actual power more than what it dyno'd so awesome stuff Still kinda confused on the turbo you have that trapped 120 though...that was the 2871 correct? A 28R won't push it fast enough to get there.

Either way, good driving!
Yea its the t28 that came with the car when it was built. I guess we just got a factory freak.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #2262
TFD
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
TFD is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Got it on the rollers today on a Nissanmeeting:

350 whp & 326 Tq @ 20 psi

2871 .86
740's
Z32
Toda 264/10.5
Isis Intake manifold
JWT chip

Only problem was that my turbo had a blown oilseal and took a complete piss during the run..... oil level dropped hard and with a slight ping costed me a rodbearing....

.. back to the drawing board or completely leave the tuning game.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #2263
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFD View Post
Got it on the rollers today on a Nissanmeeting:

350 whp & 326 Tq @ 20 psi

2871 .86
740's
Z32
Toda 264/10.5
Isis Intake manifold
JWT chip

Only problem was that my turbo had a blown oilseal and took a complete piss during the run..... oil level dropped hard and with a slight ping costed me a rodbearing....

.. back to the drawing board or completely leave the tuning game.

LOL your not reading it right!
And your hp and tq don't cross at 5250 even though the graph is equal on both sides!?
The missing numbers on the right side may explain that though, IDK

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #2264
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
EsChassisLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Yea you read that wrong lol. Convert PS and NM to HP and TQ
Old 11-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #2265
TFD
Leaky Injector

Maybe I got you a bit confused I guess.
[img]

Wheel horsepower and torque on the axles. 1645 devided by diff ratio 3.72 is 422 wheel Nm. Thats 326 wTq.

Sorry I put up the wrong sheet (...got a dozen from the guy..).
Old 11-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #2266
cotbu
Post Whore!

cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
339hp and 311tq?? Didn't you blow oil on the your last turbo? Try a smaller restictor if possible.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #2267
TFD
Leaky Injector

Yep, had oil issues before but never realy figgered out were it came from.

I'm gonna take the engine apart and gonna do it ONE! more time before I buy a decent 350z and call it a day.

ACL bearings
Manley Rods
JE 87mm 8.5:1 pistons
Cosworth HG (reuse this one, just 500 miles old)
ARP studs
New valve seals (to make sure)
Nistune
Turbo.... thinkin about PTE 5857...

Other thing is: How can I hold a better Tq after 5500 rpm.?.. drops like a rock..

BTW, full boost 21 psi @ 4300 rpm on a 2871 .86.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:48 AM   #2268
cotbu
Post Whore!

Quote:
Other thing is: How can I hold a better Tq after 5500 rpm.?.. drops like a rock..
Looks like your timing to me, That big dip that's really deep on the torque line. (curious) because it's not the same on the power line.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #2269
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotbu View Post
Looks like your timing to me, That big dip that's really deep on the torque line. (curious) because it's not the same on the power line.
It's even down on power as well. I'd recheck the tune forsure.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #2270
gotta240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
gotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Sorry to jump in the middle here..... But...I'm looking for a gt2871r turbo and know this would be the place to ask....

Would you guys buy a gt2871r with only 5k miles on it for 700 bucks, knowing it came off TWO BLOWN motors? Is the risk of metal circulating in the oil/turbo worth the risk? Is there much damage that could have happened to the turbo even though it feels/looks perfect now? It has NO shaft play.

Or should I cough up the extra money for a new one? Or one NOT from two blown motors? Or am I over reacting...
gotta240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #2271
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Don't do it.... pay 300 more or so for a new one.... Wayyy better and safer. Don't skimp.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:51 PM   #2272
tabasco122
Zilvia Junkie

tabasco122 is an unknown quantity at this point
any news on that gtx2867r?

Last edited by tabasco122; 12-27-2011 at 12:54 AM..
tabasco122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #2273
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

FINALLY found this thread again.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:46 PM   #2274
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Just got my external WG flange put on. Now all I want to do is dremel it out and have it extrude honed to smoothen out the flaws on the insides by the flange.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #2275
gotta240
Post Whore!

gotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfection
What do you guys think about this turbo compared to the 2871r (.64)? It is priced very similar, but comes with more stuff. Currently, best deal I can get on a NEW 2871r is 1200 shipped, so this isn't far off. What do you guys think from performance perspective?
Tomei 173019 M7960 ARMS Turbo Kit SR20DET S13 S14 S15
Old 01-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #2276
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotta240 View Post
What do you guys think about this turbo compared to the 2871r (.64)? It is priced very similar, but comes with more stuff. Currently, best deal I can get on a NEW 2871r is 1200 shipped, so this isn't far off. What do you guys think from performance perspective?
Tomei 173019 M7960 ARMS Turbo Kit SR20DET S13 S14 S15
They don't make the power the GT2871r does, nor the torque. It's close though. In the grand scheme of things you're saving roughly 150-200 dollars by going with the Tomei setup vs the Garrett. How about low milage used?

Old 01-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #2277
gotta240
Post Whore!

I'm all for low-mileage used....but have been striking out left and right.

First two ended up being off blown motors(with metal in the oil).
Last one I paid for and the scumbag ended up selling it for more after dicking me around for over a week. I'd love to find a GOOD used one, but thats proving to be difficult.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #2278
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

inopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant future
Quote:
They don't make the power the GT2871r does, nor the torque. It's close though. In the grand scheme of things you're saving roughly 150-200 dollars by going with the Tomei setup vs the Garrett. How about low milage used?
not sure about that. the mates down under who actually run them say they are superior for response and power output vs a gt2871
Garrett GT2871R Vs Tomei M7960 - Hardtuned.net
inopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:04 AM   #2279
gotta240
Post Whore!

Ok, I've read nearly every page of this thread, literraly spent hours reading. I just have one more question....

If you were buying a brand new Gt2871R (.64 model ONLY), which version would you go with? The 472560-15 which is the direct replacement for the s15, or would you go with one with a 4inch, non-bolt inlet? Or are there any other options you would or wouldn't do?

I had one seller tell me the version with the bolt style housing model will make LESS power. Is it enough to matter? Which would you buy if buying new?
Old 01-03-2012, 02:32 AM   #2280
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
idahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to idahotuner Send a message via MSN to idahotuner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotta240 View Post
Ok, I've read nearly every page of this thread, literraly spent hours reading. I just have one more question....

If you were buying a brand new Gt2871R (.64 model ONLY), which version would you go with? The 472560-15 which is the direct replacement for the s15, or would you go with one with a 4inch, non-bolt inlet? Or are there any other options you would or wouldn't do?

I had one seller tell me the version with the bolt style housing model will make LESS power. Is it enough to matter? Which would you buy if buying new?
get the 56 trim meaning the 4 inch inlet, then if you have an s13 sr you dont have to fuck around with turbo outlet adapters
idahotuner is offline   Reply With Quote