Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #181
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
futures14drift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Small update.. Just ordered some plastic filler, my and my spray gun. Slowly gathering parts for painting the car as i am doing it myself. Also practiced my welding today in school, let me know what you think of it. Criticism is always welcome.

Just using the material as much as i could practice always helps.

Here is my locker at school, I thought i would share it because it involves paint work. I had to sand down the old paint job and sandblast it all to bare metal, then fill dents with plastic filler, sand sand sand sand for ever, prime, sand, prime, base, sand, clear, sand ..so much sanding in the paint industry, its crazy.
Its the blue one, i mixed the color its winning blue from mazda.
I think its pretty nice
futures14drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #182
240sxSliderr
Leaky Injector

240sxSliderr is an unknown quantity at this point
You are one lucky kid man! I wish I could work on my car like you can. Make me jealous that you got it for 1600$ Im from NY and as a busboy making 4$ an hour and working 6-7 hours a week for like 1-2 days only . Its preety cool what your doing and you must have alot of $$$. I just threw out 350$ on a new exhaust for my slammed s10 I got. I also 2 have a miata. Everyone on here is like you wont get a 240 blah blah and other cars. but hey look what happend I got a 91 Miata that im turning into a drift missile myself and im in the working of painting it also. My car is like a 45 Min drive from me and I got no cash to spend on it. Like you 2 I was gonna go for racelands aswell but, im like I need a roll bar and a new top more than I need coils right now. Man good Luck with the build as Im dying to get a 240 but as time keeps going on no one wants to trade 240's. most of them have work done and mines just basically stock. Like I said man good luck with the build because its looking great!
240sxSliderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #183
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Update!
Today i got to work with sanding down my car and prepping it for paint. I will be painting it myself, and i know how important prep work is. Took off my front fenders because im getting brand new ones. Also got my spray gun and plastic filler.
Pics!
80 grit goes a long way.

Will update with more sanding and body filler tomorrow.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #184
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
.....you're not even taking the window/trim or the door window lip/handle off to paint?

why not it right.... take every thing that you can off or out of the thing, THEN repair and mask, and paint....

If you're doing that carpet stuff still, it would make a lot of sense to do the interior and exterior all at once, so you get a clean color change to everythin0g.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #185
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
.....you're not even taking the window/trim or the door window lip/handle off to paint?

why not it right.... take every thing that you can off or out of the thing, THEN repair and mask, and paint....

If you're doing that carpet stuff still, it would make a lot of sense to do the interior and exterior all at once, so you get a clean color change to everythin0g.
Did i say i was painting it just then right there? all i did was sand.. the car will be fully broken down when the time comes.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #186
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by futures14drift View Post
Did i say i was painting it just then right there? all i did was sand.. the car will be fully broken down when the time comes.
Well, you started masking it off.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #187
Lt Shinysides
Leaky Injector

Lt Shinysides is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Ever think that was to block off the trim while sanding the paint? Smart move on his part.
Lt Shinysides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #188
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
You're a fucking idiot.

I did the same thing on my car to paint it, tape the seals off while sanding/priming so I could still drive the car/keep dust out of it, then pull windows, etc etc out when it was ready for paint. And id love for you to find a single imperfection in my paintjob.
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #189
Big Zee
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
Big Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Big Zee
for 1250 dollars for a 2860, why not just order a Tomei 7960 kit from Enjuku ?

I don't agree with your power before braking and suspension plans, but a lot of local people have the same mindset, " you don't need brakes to drift" I'm constantly told.

they sure come in handy on the road though.

if you do a brake upgrade, I strongly suggest a full 300zx brake swap, fronts and rears with ebrakes. I did it to my car and it's crazy the amount of stopping power the car has
Two-Tone owner#011509-Lightly Modded
Big Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #190
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Can someone ban this fuckface or something?
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #191
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxide View Post
You're a fucking idiot.

I did the same thing on my car to paint it, tape the seals off while sanding/priming so I could still drive the car/keep dust out of it, then pull windows, etc etc out when it was ready for paint. And id love for you to find a single imperfection in my paintjob.
I'm sure your paintjob is fine.

Still, when someone says they're starting paint, on a car that they DO NOT DRIVE, mightn't you expect masking to be for paint?
Old 10-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #192
xoxide
Post Whore!

It completly depends on the conditions and style of the painted. Some want everything pulled, some dont. He might not want bondo dust to fill his interior.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #193
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxide View Post
It completly depends on the conditions and style of the painted. Some want everything pulled, some dont. He might not want bondo dust to fill his interior.
Thank you. that guy is a fucking jackass and has no idea what hes talking about. The masking tape is there to protect all the trim from being sanded by accident.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #194
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Zee View Post
for 1250 dollars for a 2860, why not just order a Tomei 7960 kit from Enjuku ?

I don't agree with your power before braking and suspension plans, but a lot of local people have the same mindset, " you don't need brakes to drift" I'm constantly told.

they sure come in handy on the road though.

if you do a brake upgrade, I strongly suggest a full 300zx brake swap, fronts and rears with ebrakes. I did it to my car and it's crazy the amount of stopping power the car has
I just wanted my car to run healthy as soon as possible. Soon i will be doing a huge brake upgrade, as im going to be saving a lot for the car over the winter.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #195
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
I love my z32's :-) I only lit them on fire once lol. And that was when I was chasing an RB s14 with my old single cam in the Malibu canyons
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #196
Big Zee
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
Big Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Big Zee
^ I've yet to light mine up haha, but I think I fucked my pads, or didn't break them in proper. will be switching to some EBC pads or Project Mu's

Hawks are to dusty and fade sets in really quick. I like mine with hard bite everytime and enough to install face to dash for people not using seatbelts with little pedal pressure haha
Two-Tone owner#011509-Lightly Modded
Big Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #197
Magoo1222
Zilvia Junkie

Magoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura about
well this went from interesting update to butthurt flaming in zero seconds flat.
Magoo1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #198
zenkiset
Zilvia Member

zenkiset is an unknown quantity at this point
smart move with the masking during sanding. I don't work with body stuff at all and I knew exactly what you were doing without even reading anything yet. (yes I just ratted on myself that I like to look at the pictures before I read ) I would've done the same thing. good work!
zenkiset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #199
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

any tips on how i should relocate my battery? any kits or specific things i should buy? thanks.

-- Got the radiator installed tonight, wiring should be done this weekend.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #200
xoxide
Post Whore!

Kits are expensive. Just buy your wire off line. I used 2 gauge but if youre running a lot of accessorries, 0 gauge would probably be best.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #201
Dany
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Dany is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:

Will update with more sanding and body filler tomorrow.
Hey bro about that lightweight filler once u open it u have to use it pretty fast because the edges will dry up and u start getting chunks in ur filler in time so try to use it within a month or less! its a good filler but it doesnt last long cuz it drys up. and that gun u bought wat will u be using for?? because it probably has a 1.0 mm needle or less and if anything its only good for small not thick primer jobs. primers tend to be thick u gotta at least use a 1.5mm tip or if u can thin down ur prime go for it but its always good to keep it thick cuz bondo sucks up the paint
Dany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:07 PM   #202
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany View Post
Hey bro about that lightweight filler once u open it u have to use it pretty fast because the edges will dry up and u start getting chunks in ur filler in time so try to use it within a month or less! its a good filler but it doesnt last long cuz it drys up. and that gun u bought wat will u be using for?? because it probably has a 1.0 mm needle or less and if anything its only good for small not thick primer jobs. primers tend to be thick u gotta at least use a 1.5mm tip or if u can thin down ur prime go for it but its always good to keep it thick cuz bondo sucks up the paint
Thanks for helping me out. It is 1.0 and i actually returned it and i got a 1.4 and i think a 1.8 too. That gun was my mistake. Yeah the body filler dries up i beat the top in with a hammer to ensure its tight but yea im gonna do all the body work i can. Thanks for ur help i love when people share there knowledge in a benefitial way!
Old 10-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #203
Dany
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Dany is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Thanks for helping me out. It is 1.0 and i actually returned it and i got a 1.4 and i think a 1.8 too. That gun was my mistake. Yeah the body filler dries up i beat the top in with a hammer to ensure its tight but yea im gonna do all the body work i can. Thanks for ur help i love when people share there knowledge in a benefitial way!
hahaha i know right thats just how zilvia is bro idk why? but theirs nice kool ppl out here lol but umm either way if u close it tightly you have already opened its original seal so its gonna dry up either way all im saying is use it up as much as u can go all out on it or it will go to waste eastwood just made that one so it has its flaws. and okay kool i would use 1.8 for prime if u have any questions with body work let me know primers paints tips guns sanding etc. i know i had tons of questions wen i was ur age haha God bless you!
Dany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #204
poundit
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
poundit is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
sorry if it has already been answered, to much cluter . but what color are you going with
poundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #205
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poundit View Post
sorry if it has already been answered, to much cluter . but what color are you going with
I am 95% it will be white.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #206
Magoo1222
Zilvia Junkie

Magoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura about
on the subject of supplies, do you have a good selection of sanding blocks? If not, I would look into getting a set. Crucial for a nice, straight body
Old 10-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #207
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Update..Put a ton of work in this weekend.
Turbo will be here 10/23 and ill install it thursday. Wiring is almost done just figuring out how to delete the alarm that was on the harness. Relocate battery then start the car!
Did a ton of body work too, car is 100% ready for paint and so is the aero kit.
Enough of me talking, Pics!

DIY Paint Booth..Scattered around a few things in the shop, came up with plastic sheeting and 2 of those tents people use for tailgating and shit.

Should be done this week with paint.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #208
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Thedriftbadger is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you just say you were going to get rid of the alarm? Do you know how many 240s have been stolen in the past month? Check the forums, the honda thieves are targeting us now. Get an alarm on there before you even drive it.
Thedriftbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #209
Magoo1222
Zilvia Junkie

How is this booth setup for light transmission? looks like it would be a bit hard to see in there
Old 10-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #210
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo1222 View Post
How is this booth setup for light transmission? looks like it would be a bit hard to see in there
Cars gonna be painted during the day..but even if at night that pic was taken pitch dark. I can see fine?