Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:56 AM   #151
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
What do the Admins of Zilvia think of starting fresh with a rebrand?

Part of owning a successful business is being able to adapting to ever changing variables. Its pretty apparent at this point the game has changed. Add the fact that the number of 240sx owners will only continue to decline just based on it being an out of production car, and its pretty easy to predict the fate of Zilvia in the next few years.

Zilvia can just maintain where it is as more of a collection of S chassis knowledge rather than a large community discussing new topics everyday like it was a few years ago.
OR
Start something new and fresh to recapture value. I've got several cool ideas where the culture shifts to the focus to managing in-person community and using online as a communication medium, rather than just an online discussion (online communication is a dime in a dozen), but then again it depends what Zilvia's end goal is.
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2015, 09:12 AM   #152
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviasandbeer View Post
Well dorki, until then can we get some dedicated spam mods. Me and Falkon are down!
The spam after midnight is embarrassing
i know the spam thing is getting under the skin of a lot of people and the admins are really starting to bug the site owners about it.

literally its like for every 15 threads i delete, 20 more pop up within 15 minutes. same goes for all the other mods/admins as well. its really frustrating.

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:35 PM   #153
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
I don't see the harm in allowing a few senior members help crack down on the spam. You guys are clearly outnumbered. As others have said, captcha and a required post count before making any thread would work wonders.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:31 AM   #154
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
^None of that is our Decision. RJF and/or West have to make those changes.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:47 AM   #155
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
Yep, all moderators agree that the spam is a bit out of control.

Admins are aware and should be taking care of the issue soon.

On a personal note, I'd love to see a properly structured How-to's section.

Other car makes/forums have it. I'm sure we could do the same to help each other out.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 03:13 AM   #156
Gold Coast S14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
Gold Coast S14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Afted reading all 6 pages of this... and actually learning a lot about the history of the forum. I gotta say i love this place. Haha and it's not dying, its a bit dated at times as there is only a few select threads that are constantly being updated and actually have active discussions happening. But as a newer member who is actually mechanically inclined with a love for these car's and enough respect to not destroy my Kouki... I gotta say me and my friends do spend a lot of free time here. Half of it is spent window shopping the for sale threads and the other half is going thru the sections for something to read.

This is where I see an issue. It's all dated or the threads have only 3 or 4 posts and none of it is on topic. The point of a forum, I thought was to talk about these cars, all the mental ideas that come out of Japan and how shitty our NASCAR version of the D1 series is, maybe discuss which shop is cooler, MCR or Kid's Heart? How bad ass the Nardo Bensopra 380SX is? Or if running no rear bumper is cool... let's talk Final Bout II and expectations. And how do I get my air bag light to stop blinking at me? After two years of being here I would just like to come by, mix a drink and bullshit about these cars. I have questions, I use the search function... but only 3 out of the 200 threads have any actually useful information and I either have to skim 50 pages and sort thru the arguing or, I get only 2 posts with skiddish ideas at best. Granted there's a lot of useful information. But... you have to filter thru so many pages and at the end of the day a simple google search will probably be faster and more to the point.

A little more organization would be rad, the 'small questions' thread is helpful but sorting thru that is like trying to find a wife at a music festival... sure it'll pass time and you never really know. But at the end of the day your burnt out and didn't really get anywhere.

Also the absolute hate on modern 240's is getting pretty ridiculous. Chaka Flaka's S14 got put in the "your doing it wrong" thread and then was absolutely torn apart. This dude pushed limits, a fresh take on an old played chassis, stood out in a sea of low bodykits and wide wheels, and there's 10 pages of what he did wrong and why his car is a piece of shit... what kinda community is that? Personally I think that car is absolutely maad, the rim specs alone are mental.

Anyways I'll keep building my car and window shopping the for sale threads. Still rocking my First Contact aero and a BCL wang because I do what I want. It's now 4am and I have a Dynamics mid term in the morning. So I guess end rant, I hate calling it a rant but... it is what it is.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:17 AM   #157
Gold Coast S14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
Gold Coast S14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Also yes the search function has helped me a lot, and I do find answers to my problems. And my air bag light issue was fixed thank to zilvia. So respect.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:47 PM   #158
InstantBoost
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
InstantBoost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I blame drift tax
InstantBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:18 PM   #159
Fred Allen Burge
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Fred Allen Burge is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Who owns this site? And is it making you so little money that you really don't care about these problems?

I've looked into forum advertising for my business and it wasn't inexpensive so I know the site must be making pretty decent monthly cash flow.

I read through most all of the 6 previous pages and I never saw the owner(s) jump in with any comments at all which I though was really odd. If I owned this site I'd be upgrading the forum software and.....

REMOVING SPAM AT ALL COSTS.

I think it's pretty clear that whoever runs the show here really just doesn't care that much about the place any more.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:58 PM   #160
240Shwag
Zilvia Member

240Shwag is an unknown quantity at this point
I've been cruising these forums for 10+ years.

From what I gather, they've always sucked. A bunch of people telling others that their car isn't "stanced" right or whatever. No topics of real value. No knowledge being spread like other forums offer. Nobody ever was or is doing anything cool here. The forum seems dedicated to the west coast where things operate a little differently than the rest of the country.

The classified section has a lot of offer, sometimes. That's about it.
240Shwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:35 PM   #161
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
sidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I have been out of the "car scene" for awhile but perodically come back here and check out whats new and exciting in the S-Chassis world. There in lies the problem...

It seems no envelopes are being pushed and sadly, the quality of builds featuring this chassis are few and far between. Combine the lack of quality builds and progression with the rampant amount of spam and it seems this forum is on its last breathe. The older folks who really appreciated the chassis and were doing good things seem to have vanished and been replaced with a younger crowd looking to spend the least amount of money possible.

People have speculated and called it for awhile; 240's will be the next "Honda". After gaining some neutrality and getting out of the hobby it seems those predictions came true...

As I review this site it seems there are only three types of threads or topics when I click "new posts":
-Spam
-People selling stuff
-Vendors spamming their respective sections
sidewaysil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:27 PM   #162
silviasandbeer
Zilvia Addict

silviasandbeer is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.reddit.com/r/240sx/commen.../zilvia_sucks/

So basically we shouldn't be asswholes and we shouldnt self hate.
I don't get why the owners don't care enough to comment on the spam. There's a lot of potential here and it's not just the for sale section. I really enjoy the layout of the forum and how easy it is to browse. There is plenty of info here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
I'm not kingtalon crazy, but I have standards
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
What age is appropriate to give your kids the sex talk? Is 3 too soon?
silviasandbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:40 PM   #163
Cjkouki2010
Zilvia Junkie

Cjkouki2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Drifting will never die! As well as the 240 game... It's probably just these dumbass kids that hop on the band wagon... Sometimes I get on here and it seems no better than craigslist Lol. This still is one of the bestforums iI know though.. Just not as og as I used to hear
Old 03-15-2015, 10:27 PM   #164
dbeiler
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
This forum should be renamed "240sx Asshole Association"

Do you see why I feel that way?

dbeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:45 PM   #165
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
Lately my browsers have been listing this site as an attack site possibly spreading malware. That type of warning alone can cause people not to visit this site.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:50 PM   #166
Bushido
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I'm getting the same attack warning from multiple computers.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:22 PM   #167
ZX88
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
ZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
might have to do with the ton of spam posts that are added to the site each morning...its time to up the new user authentication guys.
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:30 PM   #168
silviasandbeer
Zilvia Addict

silviasandbeer is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX88 View Post
might have to do with the ton of spam posts that are added to the site each morning...its time to up the new user authentication guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
I'm not kingtalon crazy, but I have standards
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
What age is appropriate to give your kids the sex talk? Is 3 too soon?
silviasandbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:32 PM   #169
Fred Allen Burge
Zilvia Junkie

Fred Allen Burge is an unknown quantity at this point
Got a nice big red malware warning from Chrome when trying to get here just now, nice. I hate to see it happen but zilvia appears to be on it's last leg.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:54 PM   #170
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Allen Burge View Post
zilvia appears to be on it's last leg.
I hope not. Where else am I gonna spend time goofing off at work? You might be right though. That would be sad.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #171
NISSeAN

NISSeAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumslapper View Post
Probably because of all the spam and threads like "your doing it wrong.'' Its pretty sad that the most popular thread on here is people talking shit and making fun of other peoples builds.

I don't think 240's are dying at all. If anything, they are at an all time high price-wise and people are paying it.
I have to agree with this. I've seen quite a few cars in that thread and finding them popular on FB, IG, whatever. I sure as shit wouldn't be on here if I saw people talking shit.
NISSeAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:24 PM   #172
Skidward

Skidward is an unknown quantity at this point
I like Silverbullet's comment on community. Yes, spam is annoying but, not a deal breaker for me. That Malware thing sucked but, my Eset took care of it...

I am an older Zilvian, getting my 240 hatch at 48 years old. I love these cars. I took my time and money to build a clean 1990 Khouki Type X with a built SR and couldn't be happier. I've met some great people and made good friends along the way.

I come from a Honda (turbocharged 2000 EM1) background over 10 years and enjoy taking cars to the track.

My biggest gripe is the trash talking and haters on the forums. It seems so immature. It is what it is, I guess and I've learned to ignore it.

Ultimately, the car is greater than anything that I can bitch about and will continue to be a hobby that I am passionate about with or without community.
Skidward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:19 PM   #173
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Here's my problem with Zilvia: the vast majority of new members are kids. A lot of the newbies don't start learning, they just hack and slash their way into the 240SX world, and then, after they've drained the blood from their S-chassis, leave for another world- say the E36 world or the e30 world or the E28 world or they get a better job and move on to the FR-S/BRZ world or whatever.

They aren't the people who stay, they're the people who get into the scene because their friend has an (insert car here) and they tag along.

The people who stay aren't really making a ton of posts because we know a lot of the answers, and because we're getting to be the age where time isn't terribly easy to come by. I have two project cars in addition to a track car and a daily, and I'm part-owner in a small business while trying to figure out what to do on the side.

TL;DR: I don't really make any posts in any forums now. I know a lot about a lot in my little world, and don't need everyone to know it or tell me how great my toys are.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:42 AM   #174
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidward View Post
My biggest gripe is the trash talking and haters on the forums. It seems so immature. It is what it is, I guess and I've learned to ignore it.
I don't think there is ever going be a solution for that. Liking cars is inherently a material-centric frame of mind. With that comes attaching one's ego and self worth to a peice of metal on wheels. A few people can be level headed, but its too easy for most knuckle heads to get out of hand with it, espeically if the majority of the crowd is 18-25.
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:28 PM   #175
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjkouki2010 View Post
Drifting will never die! As well as the 240 game... It's probably just these dumbass kids that hop on the band wagon... Sometimes I get on here and it seems no better than craigslist Lol. This still is one of the bestforums iI know though.. Just not as og as I used to hear
We are here, to certain extant we just don't post all that much. A lot of the OG also have moved along. Look at like this you own a car for 10-15? No matter how much you love it, unless it's your first sports car you get the itch to move on to something else. Possibly newer or different. Fact is I have been here damn near from the beginning and recently sold my last 240sx. It was not my first Sports car though. That belongs to the much beloved S30 240Z. I do want and I am going to get another one of those, Nostalgia and love.

Now I have a friend who is another well known OG who still posts here from time to time and his 240sx was his first car and sports car (S13).Its been completely redone and it's in his garage.
I am currently playing with a non Nissan platform because it's fun and a pretty cool car.
I am not abandoning the Nissan world though. More like taking a breather. Hell if I came across a clean uber stock 240sx I would probably buy it. Not holding my breath though those are rarer than hens teeth these days.
Otherwise my time with 240sx's is finished 10+ years of ownership was enough. Though I still support them and relate to enthusiaism for them.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:43 PM   #176
Corbic
Post Whore!

Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
To Caveat off of what Matej said...

Its a lot easier to justify spending $20k on a car vice spending $5k on a car and $15k on parts.
Not even that. I can buy a high mileage 350Z for $7k. I can buy a clean daily SC300 for $3k.

What the hell does $7k buy me in a 240sx?

The cars are so old now and the market is so upside down.

I'll pick on Damon for 1 second (I love the guy btw).

What would an average person pay for this? He openly admitted he had "over $30k" into it by the time he parted it out the first time. $30k and two years of work.

Honestly, $30k and I'm buying a MKIV Supra or something. But that is what it takes to build an awesome 240x like he had. It just adds up that quickly.

In 2004 you could buy a mint 80k mile 240SX for $2,500, a front clip for $3k and for ~$10k have a car that would run with stock WRXs, Evos, STi's. 350Zs, RX8s, Mustang GTs and S2Ks. It would spank the EP03 and RSX. All of these cars cost $25-$35k .

Today, all of those cars are now $7-10k and a 240sx still costs $10k to build if not more. SR engines are also all in need of rebuilds, chassis in need of repaints.

This is the same issue the DSM community is facing. Why waste $6-8k on GSX when you can get a 10 year newer, more capable WRX for the same price?
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:52 PM   #177
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA24DESOneThree View Post

TL;DR: I don't really make any posts in any forums now. I know a lot about a lot in my little world, and don't need everyone to know it or tell me how great my toys are.
Or it's just "Been there done that".

I don't care to read some kids average "build thread" swapping a stock SR and getting some Megans and battles on it.

I'm no longer shocked by a LS1 swap or a 800hp 2JZ.

Even Japan is over it as we're no longer following the D1 Gods and latest trends over there. Seems their drift scene has embraced the Chasers/Aristos and larger disposable sedans. Tuner Shops are solely focused on the GT86 and R35.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:19 PM   #178
Kuma
Zilvia Addict

Kuma is an unknown quantity at this point
With r32s starting to be legal, 350z's so cheap, and 240sx's getting wrecked and parted so often, its only a matter of time.
Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:21 PM   #179
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Not even that. I can buy a high mileage 350Z for $7k. I can buy a clean daily SC300 for $3k.

What the hell does $7k buy me in a 240sx?

The cars are so old now and the market is so upside down.

I'll pick on Damon for 1 second (I love the guy btw).

What would an average person pay for this? He openly admitted he had "over $30k" into it by the time he parted it out the first time. $30k and two years of work.

Honestly, $30k and I'm buying a MKIV Supra or something. But that is what it takes to build an awesome 240x like he had. It just adds up that quickly.

In 2004 you could buy a mint 80k mile 240SX for $2,500, a front clip for $3k and for ~$10k have a car that would run with stock WRXs, Evos, STi's. 350Zs, RX8s, Mustang GTs and S2Ks. It would spank the EP03 and RSX. All of these cars cost $25-$35k .

Today, all of those cars are now $7-10k and a 240sx still costs $10k to build if not more. SR engines are also all in need of rebuilds, chassis in need of repaints.

This is the same issue the DSM community is facing. Why waste $6-8k on GSX when you can get a 10 year newer, more capable WRX for the same price?
That is the delimma right there. The 240 isn't the bang for your buck performance king anymore. I think the turbo Z31 & Z32 are a better performance bargain than the S-Chassis now because they can make good power/torque without needing a crazy engine swap. But with all these turbo Beemers on the used market, they're nicely positioned to dominate the used performance market pretty soon. Shit, I can't think a reason NOT to go BMW. 600hp capable N54 powered cars are selling for like $12k almost now.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:53 PM   #180
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
That is the delimma right there. The 240 isn't the bang for your buck performance king anymore. I think the turbo Z31 & Z32 are a better performance bargain than the S-Chassis now because they can make good power/torque without needing a crazy engine swap. But with all these turbo Beemers on the used market, they're nicely positioned to dominate the used performance market pretty soon. Shit, I can't think a reason NOT to go BMW. 600hp capable N54 powered cars are selling for like $12k almost now.
Reliability.

Just look at the B5 S4. You can get one for $5-7k and they will smash a Bug-Eye WRX all day long in power potential, transmission strength and build quality. Nobody wants them because of reliability concerns.

I wouldn't touch a N54 because I already know what a PITA a N/A BMW can be. But you are right, so many other options have come down in price all the while the 240x has aged.

It's no longer a bargain-issue. You need to own a 240x because you want to own one, not because you can't afford a brand new 350Z or a Supra TT. You have to love the car for what it is, just like the guys rebuilding old muscle cars even though they could buy better performing modern versions for less.