Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:32 PM   #1561
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
want to read it all, check the blog, I'll post play by plays.

Simone : My 1996 240sx

My LXZ's came in, all FR Face none of that flat faced bullshit. If I'm going to spend over 3 grand for wheels you bet your sweet ass I did a shitload of research before finally deciding on the sizes. I'm really glad last minute I changed the rear width to 11s.

I originally wanted to go this route with the GT-U's until they got discontinued. the rear 10's fit up front under the vertex 12mm fenders just fine.

So I had to do a lot of math to figure out backspacing. The rear GT-U's are 18x10 +8, the front LXZ's are 18x10 -3. Originally I was going to go 18x10 +6 for the front but for some reason something told me to change that to -3 last second. I still don't know what WS-Lo vs. S-Lo means on the Kranze LXZ sizing chart. Weds North America - KRANZE LXZ

So I was afraid that they wouldn't clear the brakes with the WS-Lo's.

And there are not a lot of pictures on the net of these wheels where people will share the sizing they got. Even Intec Racing has completely ignored my requests to find out what their wheel sizing was.

Doesn't look so bad from this angle, plenty of lip

clears the brake calipers by a hair, bolted down and spun them freely to make sure ZERO rubbing ensued.

I have more detail about that brake fitment on my blog. I know I've seen cars with bbk's fit these wheels with the flat face but everyone was too afraid to try the concave face with a BBK because it says on the japanese weds sizing chart there is a HUGE chance they wont fit.

Worst case scenario, I run front spacers to clear the calipers, I really think the tophats on the brake rotors for the wilwoods already act as an active spacer. I know I read something about that so they definitely helped out with the clearance.

Now to the reality of the situation.

I'm going to have to run a stretch tire until I can afford to change the aero on the car. I'm not planning on CAMBERING these wheels anymore than they already are, I drive this car daily and handling is 100 percent priority over looks.

I thought about running flares, or even just breaking the worlds heart and mexi flushing these with 265's up front and just letting them be exposed LOL but I think we'll actually run a 245-40-18 Advan AD08.

I refuse to ever put another set of Origin fenders on my car, although if I still had them they'd probably fit these wheels under them no problem.

Here is a side by side comparison as to how much more massive the LXZ is compared to the Volk GT-U

Look how much un-utilized space the spoke design of the GT-U takes up, the lip is barely wider on the LXZ probably a quarter of an inch if not 2. Also the construction of these wheels is amazing, the hardware that holds the lip in is beefy as fuck. The GT-U's are held together by smaller hardware and definitely are not as long as the allen head bolts of the LXZ.

Definitely going to take things to the HNL.

The rear on the other hand was pretty godamned money. FR Face, 18x11 -7 originally went with 18x10 -7 but changed it last minute. I figured whats another inch of wheel on both ends, especially once I ditch my 10mm spacer which had the rear GT-U's at an effective +2 offset we're gaining about 5mm of poke from where the GT-U's sit which I think is perfect. But I also have problems I need to take care of back here.

As you can see the car isn't even at full squat height so I may get away with running 265/35/18 on these with a minimal stretch.

Right now my rear subframe is shot. I just had to replace the clutch in my car a few weeks ago, and the rear brake system of my girlfriends car conveniently a few weeks before my wheels arrived Simone : My 1996 240sx

So you can only imagine the insane amount of stress going through my head. The last thing I'm thinking about is slapping tires on these and showing up to some meet for someone to take pictures of them while the rear fenders of my car proceed to damage yet another set of tires.

The RS-3's are damn near done, my rear subframe is stock, stock bushings are blown and completely falling apart so the whole subframe shifts while driving, I have no toe, or tension rods back there so I'm running toe in which is going to eat the shit out of the next set of 500 dollar tires in 6 months.

So I'm going to build another s14 subframe before these wheels are even on my car. I'm also seriously contemplating going vertex ridge with the vehicle and somehow making the lang front work with it.

I have tons of plans but anyway like I said read the blog if you want to see more. Since I've been gone for a month, to see what I've been up to.

Laters.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #1562
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Please do the Vertex Ridge....Please?
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #1563
1on1
Post Whore!

1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all
I must say, this is one hella nice kouki s14. keep it up om1kron!
Old 10-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #1564
4-20sx
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (50)
4-20sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4-20sx
Love the new wheels. I think they go better with the car than your other wheels.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #1565
slydin240sx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
slydin240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Those wheels are boss! Gahhhhhhh, du want!
slydin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #1566
Kaizen.
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (10)
Kaizen. is not welcome here anymoreKaizen. is not welcome here anymoreKaizen. is not welcome here anymoreKaizen. is not welcome here anymoreKaizen. is not welcome here anymoreKaizen. is not welcome here anymoreKaizen. is not welcome here anymoreKaizen. is not welcome here anymoreKaizen. is not welcome here anymoreKaizen. is not welcome here anymoreKaizen. is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
[My LXZ's came in, all FR Face none of that flat faced bullshit. If I'm going to spend over 3 grand for wheels you bet your sweet ass I did a shitload of research before finally deciding on the sizes. I'm really glad last minute I changed the rear width to 11s.]

Shit, I wish I would have did my research instead of trust Weds, they told me FR face would not fit bbks, SOB wants me to shoot them 1300 for another set, wtf?!

Kaizen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:27 PM   #1567
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoKidd View Post
[My LXZ's came in, all FR Face none of that flat faced bullshit. If I'm going to spend over 3 grand for wheels you bet your sweet ass I did a shitload of research before finally deciding on the sizes. I'm really glad last minute I changed the rear width to 11s.]

Shit, I wish I would have did my research instead of trust Weds, they told me FR face would not fit bbks, SOB wants me to shoot them 1300 for another set, wtf?!
Yeah dude sucks to hear about that, I don't think they look bad at all from your for sale post but definitely don't look as aggressive as the offsets say.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:28 AM   #1568
Kaizen.
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (10)
Kaizen. is not welcome here anymoreKaizen. is not welcome here anymoreKaizen. is not welcome here anymoreKaizen. is not welcome here anymoreKaizen. is not welcome here anymoreKaizen. is not welcome here anymoreKaizen. is not welcome here anymoreKaizen. is not welcome here anymoreKaizen. is not welcome here anymoreKaizen. is not welcome here anymoreKaizen. is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
thats exactly how i felt! i thought 18x9.5-14 sounded pretty beefy, but like i said, lil too flat. im just gonna run them if i dont sell, and hopefully someone will by a pair lol lookin at all your pics makes me want to go test fit everything now! Cant wait till their both complete!

Kaizen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #1569
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Welp the volks are sold and will soon be shipped off to chicago to member GTR_240SX. I'm a little bummed but the car must continue to evolve.

Simone : My 1996 240sx

I wrote a little shot out for the wheels, and have been actively updating the blog. I don't really feel like this build thread serves much of any purpose anymore since I haven't been doing any building.

Going to rebuild the subframe soon, I'll post that in the coming weeks or so. Not going to be mind blowing like every other subframe build thread posted on zilvia and maybe I'll post me replacing my t25 which I also had rebuilt sometime last year and still haven't picked up due to LIFE.

All sr20 related stuff has just been put on hold as I am going to join the lsx bandwagon, I'm kinda over the 200 dollar smogs, the ref tickets, and yada yada so that really is going to command some coin from me to accomplish. Again all ricer dreams at this point so I really just post on my blog since I give people shit about the rules all of the time. I'll make sure to post some pictures of the car after the lxz's are installed.

AAAALSO I need to change the shit out of my front brake pads, so maybe I'll document that as well since I've yet to see one fucking post on the internet of a 240sx owner with a bbk changing the pads out of a cartridge insert type of caliper like the wilwoods.

and P.S.S Avante is parting out or selling his s14 and it's one hell of a machine. I'm going to head down to san diego to scavenge shit off of his car and keep the jeep rolling on my car!!!

anyway.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #1570
Om1kron
Post Whore!

yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Simone : My 1996 240sx: That shit Kranze
Old 03-27-2012, 12:50 AM   #1571
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Sorry, not official until they are Candy Apple Red.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #1572
Om1kron
Post Whore!

I'm actually keeping these like this, only volk racing wheels will be candy apple red and next time it will be by anodizing and not paint.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:03 AM   #1573
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:12 AM   #1574
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
I'm actually keeping these like this, only volk racing wheels will be candy apple red and next time it will be by anodizing and not paint.
I thought you hated polished lips? Would you consider painting the lips the same color as the wheel faces?
Old 03-27-2012, 01:52 AM   #1575
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
I thought you hated polished lips? Would you consider painting the lips the same color as the wheel faces?
the faces are machined, the lips are polished, this is acceptable. polished lips and (insert other color faces) look like shit. No I would not paint the lips to look like cloudy metal semen.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:12 AM   #1576
DallasTXjdm
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (41)
DallasTXjdm is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Thumbs up

Kick ass rims! Can't wait to see them mounted!
DallasTXjdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #1577
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasTXjdm View Post
Kick ass rims! Can't wait to see them mounted!
click the link under the picture =P
Old 03-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #1578
dtfdanyo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
dtfdanyo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Car looks phenomenal. Keep up the good work dude!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #1579
SRS BZNS
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
SRS BZNS is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SRS BZNS
Good to see things moving along Wayne. hopefully all those silly little problems that kept popping up are done and over with
SRS BZNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #1580
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
waitaminute

Quote:
handling is 100 percent priority over looks.

Quote:
"I'm going to have to run a stretch tire"

The wheels look good though. They look much better on a black car than I was expecting

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #1581
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Seriously, 225 on a 10 inch rim is in the realm of hipster tire stretch. Those poor exposed lips doesn't deserve this.

My suggestions:

-Matching lips with wheel face, whatever color it may be.
-255 tires up front
-285 tires in the rear

Boss status achieved.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #1582
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
wayne, let me save you the trouble by letting you know that anodizing fades. unless you want red to turn into pink... dunno, you seem like the type.

s-drives with wilwood. interesting, most people chose more tire than brake, you went the opposite. why not go with a better tire?

by the way, does anyone actually visit your blog? be real son, show us the web trends. :-)
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #1583
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
wayne, let me save you the trouble by letting you know that anodizing fades. unless you want red to turn into pink... dunno, you seem like the type.

s-drives with wilwood. interesting, most people chose more tire than brake, you went the opposite. why not go with a better tire?

by the way, does anyone actually visit your blog? be real son, show us the web trends. :-)
haha you know if I posted that you'd be jealous. secondly the yokohama sdrives I think are a great middle ground tire coming from hankook rs-3's and falken 615k's, nexens (giggle, because ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN NEXEN), and Federals.

I would run RS-3's on my car all day if they weren't so expensive and 180 treadwear. I've heard stories that these tires suck ass when cold, but I drive my car mostly at night and NEVER had a problem with them. The only time they even hydroplaned is when I had one block of tread left on them and it wasn't even that bad.

The 615Ks you can't flip so camber wear will eventually kill them. They last a decent amount of time, but once the tread even shows signs of camber wear the tire will start grabbing every road imperfection you drive over and it's fucking annoying. And you can forget hard braking in the rain, they will veer off.

The S-Drives have a pretty aggressive tread pattern and ridiculously beefy sidewalls almost harder than the rs3's. the treadwear rating is 300 so they should last a ridiculously long time I hope.

I don't plan on "tucking" the front at all much less maybe lowering it a tooth or 3 since it's pretty much locked in for daily driving without too much damage to the vertex bumper (which also needs a re-glassing due to driveway scraping)

I do need to change the brakepads up front and possibly the rotors too, these pads last an unusually LONG ASS TIME. It's been 4 years now on the same front pad and they still have meat on them.

As far as the stretch up front, it's experimental. The tire wasn't all that expensive and again I don't plan on running demon camber, the car actually handles pretty well with that size. I am very reluctant about not having sidewall poking past the lip myself but this actually works out pretty well for the fenders clearance while maintaining my 1.75 degree negative camber up front. I could move up to maybe 2.2 or something but really I don't think it's necessary at this time.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #1584
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
unless you want red to turn into pink... dunno, you seem like the type.
I sent him some pink Ace Trucking stickers, never got notice if he recieved them tho

Quote:
I do need to change the brakepads up front and possibly the rotors too, these pads last an unusually LONG ASS TIME. It's been 4 years now on the same front pad and they still have meat on them.
Well, I do mean this in a nice way, but you are only street driving on a (assumedly) soft compound...with how thick they are, they should last a while ya know?

Quote:
I could move up to maybe 2.2 or something but really I don't think it's necessary at this time.
Mo Camba = Mo Betta

I'm at -3* on my NT05's and they are just starting to love them. Issue is the backs wear faster than the front (tire spin). Then again you drive your car (presumedly) more miles than I do...I only live 3 miles from the shop, so it doesn't translate to a ton of wear, so you may be better off with less camber and no toe.

Obviously I'm giving you a hard time. Interesting news on the S-Drives though...I've always been a 912 Falken Fan for the 'middle of the road' stuff, but it's good to know you liked the S Drives. I may get them next for my Maxima (or whateve rreplaces this hoopty, but at 270k the Maxima can't die)

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 03-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #1585
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
om1kron crank dat or wank dat
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #1586
Enna
Zilvia FREAK!

Enna will become famous soon enoughEnna will become famous soon enoughEnna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Enna Send a message via MSN to Enna
I had nothing but good experiences with the S-Drives. Only had one incident in the rain, but it wasn't enough to give me issues. Tire wear was great, and once warmed up they handled quite well.
Enna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #1587
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enna View Post
I had nothing but good experiences with the S-Drives. Only had one incident in the rain, but it wasn't enough to give me issues. Tire wear was great, and once warmed up they handled quite well.
Wayne does track days with his bald NT05's. Sup.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #1588
Om1kron
Post Whore!

I'm afraid this sr will blow up if I track it. when the e-fan went out and the temp got up to 100c the other day just idling coolant started to spew directly from the upper coolant elbow. I now know where the fucking coolant leak is on my engine and will have to take that off and re-seal it. I've had to add coolant like every other month because it's been leaking from somewhere and this whole time I thought it was oil from my fucking turbo.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #1589
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
well coolant is usually easier to fix then oil leaks

i swear by water wetter,. maybe give that a shot if you havent already
Old 03-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #1590
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad_s13.5 View Post
well coolant is usually easier to fix then oil leaks

i swear by water wetter,. maybe give that a shot if you havent already
I have amsoil water treatment in my coolant.

<--- amsoil whore, when your best buddy is Jeff Jordan you're only going to get some of the best shit in your engine or done to it.