Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #1561
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
While my 240 has not had the issue (not nearly as low) I can say that some of my s2000 buddies hae had this issue and most of them solved their axles with the spacers that are available to them (much like those purple spacers in the S/S picture uptop).

With that said, I can 100% understand about devoting some money into a custom part that isn't compatable (or at least a part that encompasses the majority about) with other cars.

The 350z option is nice....what do there rears go for pricewise from the wreckers? Do R200 R+P gear choice fit them too?

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #1562
Johny5
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Johny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Johny5
the rears are cheap! i got my differential for $175 and my axles for $40 ea. They're readily available and even my drivetrain shop is saying i could keep the output shaft and pinion bearings bearings, they're all 100%! the diffs are still so new everythings in great shape still, its truly magical compared to rusted 240 diffs. the conventional R200 gears don't work with them and the pinions are very very large on them. However the 350z guys have figured out the 3.3/3.5/3.7/3.9 and 4.08 and probably even higher (.3 and .5 are oem of course) so there are lots of options out there
Old 12-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #1563
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
You've definitely done a lot of incredible leg work on this! I would have just ran spacers to make the wheels fit, LOL.

That is assuming I'm understanding you correctly and that you've extended your LCA and other arms out a shit ton.

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #1564
Johny5
Post Whore!

Johny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfection
Lca lengths s15 Oem, just a couple of my Bolton pieces subsequently spaced my hubs which pulled axles
Old 12-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #1565
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
cool shit stew

the dedication to your cars over the last 5 years amazes me
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:30 AM   #1566
irritatedmax
Zilvia FREAK!

irritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enough
About the new diff not being legal, if subframes can be modded for a quick change rear end, why can't they bE modded for an upgraded OEM replacement (as long as you don't add any fancy suspension tweaks)?
Old 12-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #1567
smellslikecurry
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (33)
smellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Have you considered running CV spacers?

-_-
Old 12-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #1568
Johny5
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0apgun View Post
cool shit stew

the dedication to your cars over the last 5 years amazes me
thanks man thats seriously cool to hear!

the diff mod didn't make it even remotely illegal but the rest did
Old 12-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #1569
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny5 View Post
i've stripped a R&P clean flat and broken many many axles so this is something i'm looking very forward to hopefully getting rid of! there's lots of ratios available of course since nissan is so proud of that signature r200 design i bet there's tons of combos, just, since i needed it so last minute i had to pay new nissan prices. wish it was like GM where i could just grab G2 parts and skip the manufacturer for 20% of the dealer price. i didn't weight the difference nor have i had R&P side by side unfortunately as they were both assembled in my posession. i can, however, note how much bigger the pinion is than a 240sx pinion. its pretty substantial from going off memory
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellslikecurry View Post
Have you considered running CV spacers?

-_-
Doesn't change the fact that he was sheering the pinion inside the diff.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:20 AM   #1570
irritatedmax
Zilvia FREAK!

irritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enough
Oh cool, I must have read that wrong thinking the diff was the cause of it being illegal. Since it's not, this should open the door to a lot of people who compete and want to upgrade their setup. Props on sorting this stuff out dude.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:03 AM   #1571
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
just thought id let you know,... ur cars been my calendar for the past 2 months
<3
Old 01-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #1572
aaronlosey
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
aaronlosey will become famous soon enoughaaronlosey will become famous soon enoughaaronlosey will become famous soon enoughaaronlosey will become famous soon enoughaaronlosey will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Come out and see what a huge build thread gets you in real life! Johny5's car will be running over or into the competition out in Houston in a couple months, always a good time!

http://zilvia.net/f/south-central-st...ml#post4480124

aaronlosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #1573
Johny5
Post Whore!

Thanks Aaron!

Also yeah not much to update, this thread is sort of an encyclopedia of all the things I do car related. To make it easier on myself and everyone else who doesn't want to read through my babbling I decided to finally setup my website the right way, its in my sig or here Stewart Leask - The Life and Times of My Skid Chariot and I Feel free to shoot me any feedback on it! I'm gonna move most of my blog over there from now on and try to keep the threads up to date with it.

You'll find it there but for now I'll just drop this..

my babies are going in for surgery and updates. I've seriously LOVED working with my Tein's so much (on both cars) that I'm opting to revalve/respring them to meet my needs and stick with them since they've worked so flawlessly. I'll be updating lots of various suspension items before the season starts and hopefully some ported heads very soon!
Old 01-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #1574
Royal_T
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Royal_T is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
big things poppn for Stew in 2012...
Old 01-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #1575
mattatat

Trader Rating: (0)
mattatat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Your site looks great now man, very informative.
mattatat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #1576
InfraRed407
Leaky Injector

InfraRed407 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to InfraRed407
For instant updates on new posts, everyone should go like his fan page

Stewart Leask | Facebook
InfraRed407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #1577
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Stew,
Just so I am following you on this. You are suggesting 350z rear with axles. Do you have to mix match axles like the 300zx or Q45 with two "short" axles to fit the pumpkin? Also what about the hubs and the driveshaft? Will those need to be replaced as well? Just trying to wrap my head around the swap and why it will solve your issues over the 300zx tt diff and axles guys (including me) are going with.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:41 AM   #1578
Johny5
Post Whore!

Hey Scottie, sorry I missed your reply. So I finally did my full post on the diff and what I went with and why but to more directly answer your question. If my car was stock width suspension out back I'd do the 1 Q45 axle/1 Z32 tt axle technique and it'd work since all Nissan 6x1 patterns are the same. However on my car I needed a longer axle solution so I run 350z axles which are ~3/16"-1/4" longer than stock and perfect for my application. 350z axles utilize 29 spline hubs which is fine...i can keep my new arp ben hurr spikes. z32tt/q45 requires 31 spline hub upgrade which i purchased ben hurr's for as well jic i ended up going that route haha

350z Differential and Axle Upgrade with OS Giken LSD - Stewart Leask

There's more posted there and its much more in depth. Hope that helps man Your car looks GREAT btw! love the white

Got a couple more presents in the mail this weekend

so excited!!! <3 bn vents <3
Old 02-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #1579
InfraRed407
Leaky Injector

InfraRed407 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to InfraRed407
awesome read on the axles / diff
InfraRed407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #1580
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Awesome thanks Stew! The seat is sooooooo nice.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #1581
smellslikecurry
Post Whore!

smellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfection
stew, i had a dream i got stuck in that seat last night. i swear.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #1582
Johny5
Post Whore!

thanks guys what were you doing in my seat you hussy!
Old 02-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #1583
smellslikecurry
Post Whore!

i left you a present on it.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #1584
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

The only confusion I have is what constitutes a "wide rear" setup? It isn't the dropped driftwerks rear knuckles is it? Hopefully not because I ave the pdm dual caliper knuckles ordered and hope they don't push the hubs out further.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #1585
Johny5
Post Whore!

All guesstimations of mine so far put my susp. at 15mm wider than oem on each side. I know that george's plates were a harmless 8mm, leaving about 7-8mm in the spindles is the best I could tell. Both are miniscule apart from eachother, but combined can create issues similar to mine.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #1586
speedfreak90
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
speedfreak90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
do you think the 350z diff with the 350 axles will work with just the dual caliper kit??? i like the fact that you used 2 of the same style axle instead of having 2 different axles from 2 different cars. this looks like a straight forward install. that obviously you have perfected. kudos to you sir...
speedfreak90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #1587
niscur29
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (14)
niscur29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny5 View Post
Got a couple more presents in the mail this weekend

Chargespeed? Got mine a few weeks ago how do your holes line up? Fit is good on mine but the holes are all off.
niscur29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #1588
nathanong87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
nathanong87 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
looks like bn?! well ...i want them to be bn in my mind.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #1589
Royal_T
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Royal_T is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Going to look so sexy on that beast
Old 02-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #1590
Pinggg
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Pinggg is an unknown quantity at this point