Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #14701
GL Chrillz
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
GL Chrillz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
AZ or Advance or one of them had them in sets for under $5.

The caliper frame keeps them in place. The clips keep them from chattering. Best case noisy pads. Worst case uneven wear / binding.
yeah, they obviously wont fall out but theres still a bit too much room for them to move for my liking lol. thanks! i'll check it out
GL Chrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #14702
bc.
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
Its most likely your input shaft bearing. On my SR, when sitting at idle not pressing the clutch pedal at all, it would make this loud whinning sound. Once I pressed down on the clutch pedal, it went away. Naturally I thought it was the TOB. So I replaced it with a new TOB, same noise was there. Now that my car is apart I'm having the transmission rebuilt so that should take care of that!
Ha, I have had this for years. I had replaced the throwout bearing too and it didn't change anything, after that I just didn't really care.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #14703
acslater9
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
acslater9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
When coming back home from work today my car started heating up, so I look under the hood and I find coolant everywhere. So I started looking around the hoses, on the floor to see If I have any leaks. And...found nothing.

I don't know what It could be. Any suggestions?
acslater9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #14704
GL Chrillz
Zilvia Junkie

GL Chrillz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater9 View Post
When coming back home from work today my car started heating up, so I look under the hood and I find coolant everywhere. So I started looking around the hoses, on the floor to see If I have any leaks. And...found nothing.

put that purple dye in it or whatever it is and see where its coming from with that? or rent one of those pressure testers from auto zone or something and pressurize the system with the car off and it should start shooting air or coolant out wherever its leaking
GL Chrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #14705
acslater9
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL Chrillz View Post
put that purple dye in it or whatever it is and see where its coming from with that? or rent one of those pressure testers from auto zone or something and pressurize the system with the car off and it should start shooting air or coolant out wherever its leaking
thanks but I just needed some anti freeze. I just put some and rode it for a good 10 min without leaking or overheating.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #14706
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:

Quote:
thanks but I just needed some anti freeze. I just put some and rode it for a good 10 min without leaking or overheating.
That doesn't explain why it was EVERYWHERE...
Old 08-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #14707
PeaceOnesxWai
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (34)
PeaceOnesxWai is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
^If i leaked everywhere when it overheated, then start looking into the pressure relief valve/lines to overflow tank. If not there then its the pressure cap itself.
PeaceOnesxWai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #14708
David48
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
David48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to David48
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengo240 View Post
my chasebays engine harness didnt match any of my trans plugs so i just left them disconected ,when i test drove my car today it wouldnt rev past 3 or maybe 5,000 rpms (tach isnt hooked up either) could this be because i do not have the trans plugs hooked up?
New engine harness and not revving past a certain point sounds like the Mafs isn't hooked up or not hooked up right. Try unplugging it and see if it makes a difference. Does it smell like it's running richer than normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL Chrillz View Post
first time changing my pads on my s13, and i realized whoever did them before i owned it left the pad retainers off on the rear. is there anywhere i can buy just the retainers from? i cant seem to find them alone from anywhere
Nissan 44080-01P27 Genuine OEM 89-94 S13 240SX Rear Brake Hardware Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
So, I have a 1989 240SX with a KA. I've noticed for a while that when I am either idling or moving, when the clutch is out, I hear a weird noise. Kinda sounds like something is spinning. The thing is, it doesn't change the way the car runs or drives at all. Anyone have an idea what that is? Just wondering.
Definitely a throwout bearing. Only buy brand new OEM throwout bearings from the dealer. Pretty much every aftermarket one is shitty and will immediately make noise. Ask me how I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
Its most likely your input shaft bearing. On my SR, when sitting at idle not pressing the clutch pedal at all, it would make this loud whinning sound. Once I pressed down on the clutch pedal, it went away. Naturally I thought it was the TOB. So I replaced it with a new TOB, same noise was there. Now that my car is apart I'm having the transmission rebuilt so that should take care of that!
What brand was the replacement. You more than likely got a shitty one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boleary19 View Post
Any suggestions on a KA24DET build for about 300-350rwhp? And average cost?
As long as your KA is lowish miles (under 120k) and not ragged on, you can do 350 on an unopened motor. A 2871r, at least 550cc injectors, z32 mafs, and a GOOD Rom tune will get you there pretty easily for maybe $2000-2500 depending on how good you are at finding deals and what you decide to buy new or used. Just make sure you get a good tune and not some SAFC bullshit that your ese's amigo tuned for you.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #14709
Magoo1222
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
Magoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Anyone know if/where I can buy new trunk trim panels for a hatch, rather than sourcing used ones?
Magoo1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:51 AM   #14710
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
$3500 for the engine. You can buy this outright from a shop that builds a sweet KA ready for the -T, or rebuild your own. Price is about the same. Add a Isis Turbo, and FMIC from say a place like Enjuku(where it is inexpensive) and you can add another $1700. Adding a tuned ECU and you have just over $5k invested.

Marshall engine long blocks for Nissan from RPM Machine

or DIY

KA24DE Rebuild Kit, Performance Parts Turbo Rated

If you know what you are doing and can rebuild your own engine, go with the part6s. If not, give them a call and see what they can build for you

If you have the 'lowish miles' engine, AND it can hold between 8# - 10# of boost, you will see a nominal 340hp - 375hp running an air to air FMIC. Water to Air FMIC allows lower boost pressures(9# at 375hp)

The big thing on turbocharging an older KA is at higher boost, you WILL blow out the rings and cause other damage if you do not do it right.

The Isis turbo kit runs ~$1400 shipped, a good Water to Air FMIC will run another ~$700. A GOOD ECU from RS Enthalpy, Enjuku, JWT, for the set up, will run $500 - $800. Turbo tuner, and other small tech, well son, how fast you wanna go? Speed costs.

The key is setting the engine up right. Sure, you can go low boost numbers with cheap add ons and see 300hp...until you blow out your rings. OR, you can rebuild your engine the right way, get good parts, and if your parts can handle it, run max pressures and see 450hp and higher(max pressures net about 450hp on a built engine). Add meth and a stand alone AEM Infinity system, and you can get 500hp - 600hp.

The question you have never answered here, is HOW MUCH CAN YOU SPEND?
How far are you willing to go?
How much work do YOU want to do to get to your goal point?

The above are important questions that will get you to a solid, reliable 350hp or higher. BTW, a little coupe that put 346hp to the wheels was FAF to drive...although it probably was not built safe enough to do so for very long. I am certain Gentlemen Drift can tell you more about that particular car. All I know, is I watched it disappear into the sunset, stalling out at every stop when a wee little Mexican bought it and took it down to Alabama. I watched that car kick his ass for the two miles to get off base, and there is no tellin how bad it kicked his ass all the way to Alabama!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #14711
tengo240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
tengo240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
[QUOTE=David48;5398008]New engine harness and not revving past a certain point sounds like the Mafs isn't hooked up or not hooked up right. Try unplugging it and see if it makes a difference. Does it smell like it's running richer than normal?

the maf was wired wrong , i had to switch the ground with another wire then the car idled fine ,i went to drive it the other day and thats when it wouldnt rev out right ,or at all . was it in limp mode? so i had to swap the power wire and the ground wire pins cause they were in each others place , but when i started the car with it wired wrong the first time couldn't that have grounded out my maf or burnt it out?

ive been over my chassis harness dozens of times , my engine harness is hooked up right ,i put in new plugs,im gonna replace the cts when i got to my garage today and also pull codes .im about to just tear out the chassis harness and use a painless setup , then i guess have this chasebays harness looked at again.
tengo240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #14712
mau5trap
Zilvia FREAK!

mau5trap is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to mau5trap
After you hydro/petro lock your your engine and fix it. Should you change the spark plugs?
Old 08-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #14713
HipHopHippo
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
HipHopHippo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
is there a trick to removing the rear main seal housing
Old 08-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #14714
PeaceOnesxWai
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (34)
PeaceOnesxWai is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipHopHippo View Post
is there a trick to removing the rear main seal housing
What motor?

If its a SR then you have to drop the Lower & upper oil pan to get to the housing. If its the seal.. drop the tranny, remove clutch & flywheel, pop off the seal and replace.
PeaceOnesxWai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #14715
HipHopHippo
Zilvia Junkie

HipHopHippo is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOnesxWai View Post
What motor?

If its a SR then you have to drop the Lower & upper oil pan to get to the housing. If its the seal.. drop the tranny, remove clutch & flywheel, pop off the seal and replace.
where can you buy a rear main seal housing for an sr20
Old 08-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #14716
acslater9
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOnesxWai View Post
^If i leaked everywhere when it overheated, then start looking into the pressure relief valve/lines to overflow tank. If not there then its the pressure cap itself.
That's where it came out from. And I kind of exaggerated when I said "everywhere" It was more like where the pressure cap was. Apparently It wasn't tightened which was weird. But It's all good now.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #14717
unlegendary
Zilvia Addict

unlegendary is a well-known jackass
Firestone's lifetime alignment for $199, is it worth it? i understand that they'll only align it to factory specs. my future car mods will include a name brand steering angle kit and modded rear lower control arm.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #14718
whyteboi
Leaky Injector

whyteboi is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlegendary View Post
Firestone's lifetime alignment for $199, is it worth it? i understand that they'll only align it to factory specs. my future car mods will include a name brand steering angle kit and modded rear lower control arm.
I don't know how shops are where you live but around here lowered/slammed cars and cars with so much suspension modification usually breaks the shops "Alignment Warranty" and you have to forfeit a warranty on the work. I'd make sure and have in writing that they would honor the lifetime part.

If you get a cool tech, you can get him to align it to whatever you want. Within reason.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:21 AM   #14719
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by mau5trap View Post
After you hydro/petro lock your your engine and fix it. Should you change the spark plugs?
Do you mean,'vapor lock', as when the engine gets hot, heats up the fuel lines they there is no liquid fuel in them, then 'locks' the engine due to starvation?

Let it cool, and allow the fuel lines to cool down, fire it up, and 'speed on'
Old 08-30-2013, 07:06 AM   #14720
bc.
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
is there a trick to removing the rear main seal housing(4:59pm)
Quote:
where can you buy a rear main seal housing for an sr20(5:41pm)
Did you break your rear main seal housing 40 min after you asked how to remove it?
Old 08-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #14721
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:

Steam clean it off, and then keep attention to it. You may have simply overheated, had the system burp, and had the fan spray fluid everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlegendary View Post
Not a good deal at all if you're going to change to parts that require a 'performance' related alignment. Unless somehow you know the techs there and they acn hook you up, however at most places like that, techs don't stick around too long.

Quote:
Do you mean,'vapor lock', as when the engine gets hot, heats up the fuel lines they there is no liquid fuel in them, then 'locks' the engine due to starvation?

That or he flooded/fouled the plugs out of it.

O/P, take plugs out and see how they look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc. View Post
Did you break your rear main seal housing 40 min after you asked how to remove it?
Willing to bet OP didn't take the lower 2 nuts off the studs that go into the upper pan

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #14722
qwerth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (25)
qwerth is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
hi guys so my car wont start right away all the time it. it takes like 20-50 times for it to start, this is a problem i've been having for a year i have since replaced my

lower harness including the battery cable
starter
ignition switch

and I'm still fairly new to these cars
what other things should i take a look at or replace?
Old 08-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #14723
mau5trap
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:

Nah. Actually, one of my injectors was leaking and I kept cranking the engine to make it start. I ended up flooding my engine. Now would it be ideal to change my spark plugs after fixing this
Old 08-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #14724
mau5trap
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:

Nah. Actually, one of my injectors was leaking and I kept cranking the engine to make it start. I ended up flooding my engine. Now would it be ideal to change my spark plugs after fixing this
Old 08-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #14725
soundboy
Zilvia Junkie

soundboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Spark plugs and engine oil. Some gas might get down into the engine

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 4
soundboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #14726
bc.
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundboy View Post
Spark plugs and engine oil. Some gas might get down into the engine

He didn't finish saying it, but change your oil too.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #14727
s1333

s1333 is an unknown quantity at this point
On bride seats. Can the plastic grommets that surround the harness holes be removed?
s1333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #14728
tengo240
Zilvia Junkie

if i started my car with the maf ground going to the wrong pin would that have fried my maf? my car will not rev past what im guessing is 3000 rpm's . i did since put the wires in the right order but chasebays had them wrong so i wanna know if it would have ruined my maf or anything else cause since i put this harness on nothing really works it seems.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #14729
soundboy
Zilvia Junkie

soundboy is an unknown quantity at this point

soundboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #14730
tengo240
Zilvia Junkie

^^^ is the s13 sr the same as the s14 sr?

Last edited by tengo240; 08-30-2013 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: bbbbbbbbbbb