Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #1411
bshotts
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
bshotts is making a name for him/her selfbshotts is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bshotts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
I would love to recirc too, but I for one never had any idle problems not recirculating..... maybe cause i am MAP based? no idea...
As far as a MAP-based setup, it's been discussed a few different times that it does not masure air flow from the intake and therefore will not be affected the same as a MAF-based setup vented to atmosphere where you will see enrichment spikes in AFR on shifts and stumbling on decels in neutral. Of course you can bandaid the problem like some of us do and I have done in the past with an SAFC to account for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
The only thing that would now concern me, is the long length of recirculation pipe/tube required if running it on the cold side, and recirculating it to the intake tract.
I've been itching to rework my IC setup to recirculate back to the intake, but have the same concerns about pipe length/arrangement from the BOV back to the intake. Can anyone chime in who has a recirculation setup with the BOV on the cold pipe and how it affects drivability compared to venting to atmosphere?
Zoom in a little more, it's not blurry enough.
bshotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2010, 02:13 PM   #1412
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
I would love to recirc too, but I for one never had any idle problems not recirculating..... maybe cause i am MAP based? no idea...

Correct. MAP systems read pressure, so non reciruyclation won't effect anyhting in regard to driveability. It only measures the total Manifold pressure, so any sort of measured flow makes no difference...where in a MAF it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshotts View Post
I've been itching to rework my IC setup to recirculate back to the intake, but have the same concerns about pipe length/arrangement from the BOV back to the intake. Can anyone chime in who has a recirculation setup with the BOV on the cold pipe and how it affects drivability compared to venting to atmosphere?

On a Turbo VR6 car, we actually ran a recirculation tube darn near across the engine bay, and had no issues with how it drove, idled, or worked.

I don't think there is much difference, just so long as you do recirculate the air. I've done plenty of hot pipe reciculations as well, and they obviousdly work as well...plus plumbing for them is super easy.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #1413
juggernaut1
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
juggernaut1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Guys are running it on 4 bar base setups with 20 psi (60ish+20=80) so I'd assume it could probably handle 100 psi of fuel. Don't quote me on it though.

Hehe I re read my corkey bell book and he said the exact same thing. I've read maximum boost countless times, but seemingly forget such basic stuff haha. Good to know!

The only thing that would now concern me, is the long length of recirculation pipe/tube required if running it on the cold side, and recirculating it to the intake tract.
Re the length of pipe...a std s15 recirculates it from one side to the other. I've seen aftermarket turbo S2000's done this way as well - with polished ali pipe (for bling) and silicon joiners at each end to recirc from one side of the engine bay to the other.

I guess you would need to size the diameter according to the expected flow having regard to the length so as not to cause a restriction.
juggernaut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:28 PM   #1414
HPballer76
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
HPballer76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
hey guys just wondering what clutch you guys are running with your setups?

i will be running

2871r
264/272 cams
740cc injectors

shooting for 350-375

i've been reading a lot and can't decide what clutch i should go with. i've been looking at either the exedy stage 2 or the spec stage 3 or stage 4. the car is mainly a track car that gets driven on the street every now and then. so it will get abused a lot. with that said what would you recommend?
Old 01-07-2010, 12:28 AM   #1415
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
I run a Jim Wolf Z33 Clutch and Flywheel. Works really well, nice easy fully sprung disc to boot!

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 01-07-2010, 07:15 AM   #1416
2fast4y0u
Zilvia FREAK!

2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore
exedy street disc

on another note...recirc is OVER rated! i have never recirc-d my BOV and never had an issue. my wrx has a recirc on it stock but i removed it and dot have any issues there either.
i wouldnt be to worried about recirculating the BOV
2fast4y0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:34 AM   #1417
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4y0u View Post
exedy street disc

on another note...recirc is OVER rated! i have never recirc-d my BOV and never had an issue. my wrx has a recirc on it stock but i removed it and dot have any issues there either.
i wouldnt be to worried about recirculating the BOV
What's your base idle at? 1500 rpm? LOL

This is not the thread for recirculation discussion, bottom line is on a MAF car it's the proper and only way to fly. Will 1 out of 100 work? Yup. That doesn'tmean it's right. If it really wasn't needed, than the OEM's wouldn't do it...

Old 01-07-2010, 10:34 AM   #1418
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Don't Run SPEC, rull of thumb around here... Exedy Stage 2 doesn't last long at all... Go with Jim Wolf or the best one probably RPS Max Turbo with a Street Face.... Awesome cluth
Old 01-07-2010, 10:39 AM   #1419
penco
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
penco is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I dont think anything would be wrong with running spec. I've ran a stage 2 for awhile now, no problems.
penco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:33 AM   #1420
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by penco View Post
I dont think anything would be wrong with running spec. I've ran a stage 2 for awhile now, no problems.
What sort of torque are you making?

Old 01-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #1421
S13 curtis
Zilvia Addict

S13 curtis is an unknown quantity at this point
ok guys i finished putting my turbo togeather and i will make a thread. i will also give all details of my new set up and there will be pics.
S13 curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:17 AM   #1422
2fast4y0u
Zilvia FREAK!

2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
What's your base idle at? 1500 rpm? LOL

This is not the thread for recirculation discussion, bottom line is on a MAF car it's the proper and only way to fly. Will 1 out of 100 work? Yup. That doesn'tmean it's right. If it really wasn't needed, than the OEM's wouldn't do it...
1000 rpm idle. never had stalling issues ever.
2fast4y0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:39 AM   #1423
longfellow
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
longfellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Don't Run SPEC, rull of thumb around here... Exedy Stage 2 doesn't last long at all... Go with Jim Wolf or the best one probably RPS Max Turbo with a Street Face.... Awesome cluth
You know RPS clutchs are rebranded/painted Exedy units? They're the exact same thing.
longfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #1424
bui
Leaky Injector

bui is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to bui
Im no expert but I think it'll be VERY hard to achieve 400hp on a GT2871r. With all supporting mods, i'd say youd see around 380ish IMO but im no expert like I said
bui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:27 AM   #1425
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4y0u View Post
1000 rpm idle. never had stalling issues ever.
\/ \/ \/
Quote:

Congratulations. What to they say, a temporary fix is always permament on a car? Runs vs. Runs well. If I had a dollar for every 'car runs good' that I fixed to 'run better' I'd be a millionaire..but then again this is not the discussion for that.

The point is, 1 will work...namely due to a high idle, or a cranked IACV or a combination. You wouldn't believe the cars (just search on here) that 'omg wow runs so much better' after they get over their hardon for the FnF sound, and just recirculate it. (or if you have a MAP based system)

Again, this isn't the thread for that. Start another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bui View Post
Im no expert but I think it'll be VERY hard to achieve 400hp on a GT2871r. With all supporting mods, i'd say youd see around 380ish IMO but im no expert like I said
There are a few cars even in this thread that are making 390's and 400. Just goes to show what good parts and good tuning could achieve. Hell even cars at 375 are capable of making the power...all depends on tune and dyno. This is why you'll see a few of us ask for trap speeds...can't deny physics ya know.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #1426
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by longfellow View Post
You know RPS clutchs are rebranded/painted Exedy units? They're the exact same thing.
Uhhh... no.... I had an exedy stage 2... it was complete junk.... Unless its a Rebranded Hyper single, which I completely doubt cause that comes with a flywheel.... They are not the same...

All rebranded exedy's still have a stamped exedy logo, so I am pretty sure its not....

Also RPS Max Turbo Clutches are rated close to 400FTLBS of torque... maybe you can point me to an exedy that holds that, that is NOT a hyper single? Cause its a different diaphram
Old 01-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #1427
slider2828
Post Whore!

Quote:
\/ \/ \/

Congratulations. What to they say, a temporary fix is always permament on a car? Runs vs. Runs well. If I had a dollar for every 'car runs good' that I fixed to 'run better' I'd be a millionaire..but then again this is not the discussion for that.

The point is, 1 will work...namely due to a high idle, or a cranked IACV or a combination. You wouldn't believe the cars (just search on here) that 'omg wow runs so much better' after they get over their hardon for the FnF sound, and just recirculate it. (or if you have a MAP based system)

Again, this isn't the thread for that. Start another.

There are a few cars even in this thread that are making 390's and 400. Just goes to show what good parts and good tuning could achieve. Hell even cars at 375 are capable of making the power...all depends on tune and dyno. This is why you'll see a few of us ask for trap speeds...can't deny physics ya know.
I totally agree with you cody.... but who cares about HP, its all about torque and when that comes on.... especially with 4 bangers....
Old 01-09-2010, 01:57 AM   #1428
bui
Leaky Injector

bui is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to bui
Quote:

Well now that I think bout it, I'd have to kinda agree. My friends S14 SR made almost 320hp on with 18psi on stock S14 T28, Power FC, 555cc injectors, Greddy FMIC and some other stuff.. Can't remember what else!
bui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:29 PM   #1429
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bui View Post
Well now that I think bout it, I'd have to kinda agree. My friends S14 SR made almost 320hp on with 18psi on stock S14 T28, Power FC, 555cc injectors, Greddy FMIC and some other stuff.. Can't remember what else!
320 on a stock t28 is very high! good power though for sure!

Old 01-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #1430
djcobra
Zilvia Junkie

djcobra is making a name for him/her selfdjcobra is making a name for him/her selfdjcobra is making a name for him/her self
I can't believe a stock T28 putting out 320whp, I haven't seen anyone here in Calgary pushing out that much with that turbo. I'm almost hitting 330whp with my current setup at 14-15psi 92 Octane gas: <- Conservative tune; plenty for me!

GT28RS (small trim)
HKS Step 1 256/264
HKS Valve Springs
HKS 555 Injectors
Apex'i Headgasket 1.1mm
HKS F-Con V-Pro hooked up with A/F Knock Amp.

Tuned by a legit HKS Dealer...

As for Clutch, i'm using the same one as Slider2828. RPS Max Street Series, just love it! Along with the RPS flywheel, that shit looks baller!

My whole goal was going for 'response' and not for high horsepower braggin' rights...

Steve.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #1431
slider2828
Post Whore!

I agree with you and my goal is the same. I have a 1.1mm but i have 264/264 step 1.... Can you post a dyno graph for me? I just wanna compare....

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcobra View Post
I can't believe a stock T28 putting out 320whp, I haven't seen anyone here in Calgary pushing out that much with that turbo. I'm almost hitting 330whp with my current setup at 14-15psi 92 Octane gas: <- Conservative tune; plenty for me!

GT28RS (small trim)
HKS Step 1 256/264
HKS Valve Springs
HKS 555 Injectors
Apex'i Headgasket 1.1mm
HKS F-Con V-Pro hooked up with A/F Knock Amp.

Tuned by a legit HKS Dealer...

As for Clutch, i'm using the same one as Slider2828. RPS Max Street Series, just love it! Along with the RPS flywheel, that shit looks baller!

My whole goal was going for 'response' and not for high horsepower braggin' rights...

Steve.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:41 AM   #1432
djcobra
Zilvia Junkie

djcobra is making a name for him/her selfdjcobra is making a name for him/her selfdjcobra is making a name for him/her self
Hey Slider2828,

I'll have to visit my Tuner and get a print out of the dyno run, however, I do have an older dyno print out when I was using PowerFC. Keep in mind I used to have HKS Step 2 256/264 cams, but I switched them out with HKS Step 1's; My whole purpose was to have a very responsive car, I think CodyACE will agree that a responsive street car is hella more fun to drive Anyways, I'll keep your informed when I get copy of dyno graph, probably just pm it to you.

Steve.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #1433
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcobra View Post
Hey Slider2828,

I'll have to visit my Tuner and get a print out of the dyno run, however, I do have an older dyno print out when I was using PowerFC. Keep in mind I used to have HKS Step 2 256/264 cams, but I switched them out with HKS Step 1's; My whole purpose was to have a very responsive car, I think CodyACE will agree that a responsive street car is hella more fun to drive Anyways, I'll keep your informed when I get copy of dyno graph, probably just pm it to you.

Steve.
Speed is such a relaitive thing, that many people often loose the comparitive concept of it once they get into cars. Long story short, most people have never been in a true 300 whp car, that weighs under 3000 lbs, and if you can create a car that makes 300/300 at a minimum, while spooling fast (before 4000 rpm) and while remaining light 2700ish lbs, you are going to have one super fun, reliable, turn key car.

I've got personal friends with cars that Iv'e worked on ranging from 900 hp Trans Ams and Supras to nearly 300 whp N/A HOndas...and in the end of the day, while those cars are all fun (a twin turbo trans am is seriously like warp speed, unreal), they are no cars you can realistically drive everyday and enjoy to the point where you can with a niec 350 whp Nissan. Really, the only cars IMO that are equally as fun are guys with Windsor Swapped Mustangs, and guys with bolt on Z06 cars. That's 'good company' to be with. Anything that traps 115-125 is a nice fun street car.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #1434
slider2828
Post Whore!

Me dyno.... at 16psi.... stock intake and exh.... since i had it one hand

Old 01-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #1435
codyace
Post Whore!

320 on a D/D is like 350 or so on a Dynojet...very nice!

Old 01-13-2010, 04:58 PM   #1436
slider2828
Post Whore!

Like I was saying in the other thread.... fixed some crappy piping and it should be better now.... but I dunno if I should go with an ISIS Intake... or just leave it cause I want it to have better response and I am on a .86
Old 01-15-2010, 11:05 AM   #1437
s15specR
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
s15specR is making a name for him/her selfs15specR is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Speed is such a relaitive thing, that many people often loose the comparitive concept of it once they get into cars. Long story short, most people have never been in a true 300 whp car, that weighs under 3000 lbs, and if you can create a car that makes 300/300 at a minimum, while spooling fast (before 4000 rpm) and while remaining light 2700ish lbs, you are going to have one super fun, reliable, turn key car.

I've got personal friends with cars that Iv'e worked on ranging from 900 hp Trans Ams and Supras to nearly 300 whp N/A HOndas...and in the end of the day, while those cars are all fun (a twin turbo trans am is seriously like warp speed, unreal), they are no cars you can realistically drive everyday and enjoy to the point where you can with a niec 350 whp Nissan. Really, the only cars IMO that are equally as fun are guys with Windsor Swapped Mustangs, and guys with bolt on Z06 cars. That's 'good company' to be with. Anything that traps 115-125 is a nice fun street car.

they are no cars you can realistically drive everyday and enjoy to the point where you can with a niec 350 whp Nissan. Really, the only cars IMO that are equally as fun are guys with Windsor Swapped Mustangs, and guys with bolt on Z06 cars. That's 'good company' to be with. Anything that traps 115-125 is a nice fun street car.

^ Good point, its so much fun to just get out and drive it!

My Setup:
Now: MAP Setup Non-Recirc'd

Prev: MAF - Recirc'd

If you do it, do it properly or don't do it at all, its not about the cool BOV sound, and I don't really see how venting to the atmosphere in a MAF setup will work correctly.
s15specR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:25 AM   #1438
longfellow
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
longfellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
This is what I'm going for! Should be done in a month or so.
longfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #1439
slider2828
Post Whore!

Well I am going down to SteveShadows for a tune tomorrow, so I changed it up with Nismo 740s, instead of DW600cc and also cleaned up and shortened my pipes about 1 ft.... we'll see what is the difference... I doubt I am going to up the boost, but I just needed to clean stuff up....
Old 01-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #1440
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'll bite....! Ok tuning in general is about compensating for changes, that being said you have to compensate for this change also. Venting BOV to atmosphere. I do know how to make this cool thing function effectively. Meaning no stalling and no running rich during idle.

What does correctly mean? I've seen car idle at 1000 plus rpm is that ok...? for everyone no but it's compensation for something!

And I'd like to point out that I recommend recirculating the BPV to almost everyone.
If it's a BOV they have and that's what they want, I'll try to make them happy!
On a MAFs based car, you have to pay to play.

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote