Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-25-2013, 01:13 AM   #13531
DialedLife
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
DialedLife is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm trying to read up on steering angle stuff, but theirs so many factors I'm getting lost.

my car has all stock suspension except 2" lowering springs.
For extra angle, I use tien (s13?) tie rods
spacers(Which one do you guys recommend, or can I use washers?)
Stock outter tie rods?

Nevermind - I found a video that helped a lot. My new question is: Which outter tie rods do you suggest?
DialedLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2013, 05:14 AM   #13532
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguelone View Post
HOLY FUCK WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS UNDER TRANSPORTATION OFFICES AND MARKINGS!?!?!?!?

Vehicle registration plates of Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I never use wikipedia or anything wiki since it is all considered junk in school...probably why I didn't look, but just because you put it there, you know I bookmarked it.
I have Kyoto JDM plates for Yashio factory, and 'Go for Death' that I sell on Forza4, also a Signal Auto one, but whenever I see a plate on a car from the 'net looking for Silvia's I always try to figure out where it is from. Got a Kyoto prefecture plate all made up for my Zenki too. Fake as hell, but from 20' looks real enough
Old 04-25-2013, 05:45 AM   #13533
HipHopHippo
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
HipHopHippo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have a hole in my exhaust tubing, if I temporarily disconnect the exhaust fr halfway down will it damage the bottom of my car?
Old 04-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #13534
VNG704
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
VNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipHopHippo View Post
I have a hole in my exhaust tubing, if I temporarily disconnect the exhaust fr halfway down will it damage the bottom of my car?
Hole in exhaust piping? If your car is stationary, should be fine to disconnect it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breareos View Post
I was looking into getting this hood, and I to questions about her that I like some opinions on. Both questions are about the lip, or built-in spoiler, at the back of the hood.

1. do you think it would obstruct vision at all from inside the cabin?

2. It doesn't appear to have holes mounted for the windshield washer fluid nozzles, not like drilling new ones is any problem. Would the lip get in the way of the windshield washer fluid?
1. Depends how short you are.
2. If you put it on the lip, it may spray too high. If you put it on the more level area, it will spray the hood.
VNG704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #13535
Miguelone
Zilvia Member

Miguelone is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
I never use wikipedia or anything wiki since it is all considered junk in school...probably why I didn't look, but just because you put it there, you know I bookmarked it.
I have Kyoto JDM plates for Yashio factory, and 'Go for Death' that I sell on Forza4, also a Signal Auto one, but whenever I see a plate on a car from the 'net looking for Silvia's I always try to figure out where it is from. Got a Kyoto prefecture plate all made up for my Zenki too. Fake as hell, but from 20' looks real enough
Look on ebay for genuine Jap plates, there's tonnes of them available from Thailand/Phillipines/Malaysia/Hong Kong since that's where a lot of Jap cars end up either as imports or as parts. I have a pair of Kasakube, Saitama Prefecture 300 class plates. They're cheap too, going rate is about $70 for a matching pair.
Miguelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #13536
HipHopHippo
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNG704 View Post
Hole in exhaust piping? If your car is stationary, should be fine to disconnect it.

2. If you put it on the lip, it may spray too high. If you put it on the more level area, it will spray the hood.

Yes a hole and I mean while driving
Old 04-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #13537
Nissansota240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (21)
Nissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DialedLife View Post
I'm trying to read up on steering angle stuff, but theirs so many factors I'm getting lost.

my car has all stock suspension except 2" lowering springs.
For extra angle, I use tien (s13?) tie rods
spacers(Which one do you guys recommend, or can I use washers?)
Stock outter tie rods?

Nevermind - I found a video that helped a lot. My new question is: Which outter tie rods do you suggest?
I would be more worried about upgrading the rest of your suspension before even worrying about steering angle.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #13538
DialedLife
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissansota240 View Post
I would be more worried about upgrading the rest of your suspension before even worrying about steering angle.
Which parts break the easiest/most often?
Old 04-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #13539
tengo240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
tengo240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i was gonna do a painless setup for my chassis , has anyone ever done this before and if so could you tell me what i need to buy from painless to do so . thanks
tengo240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #13540
ryandriftingfat
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
ryandriftingfat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Which parts break the easiest/most often?
Nothing if you don't hit anything.

If you aren't *trying* to do anything (drift, drag, hard park) and you don't know enough to know which direction to go in, then don't go wild.

ALLLLLLLLLLLLL 240's have worn out bushings. Start replacing those. They won't cost you a lot and you'll learn a lot doing the work replacing them.
ryandriftingfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #13541
tengo240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
tengo240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
can someone post a few pictures of the driver side fuse box of an s13 , most importantly the square plug wired right before the fuse box, it has a black wire that looks like a ground on it ,it used to plug into my old charge harness , the other side plugs in and has a white wire with what looks like the same kind of ground , does one of these attach to the starter or alternator?

i put on a chasebays engine harness and charge harness they told me there charge harness eliminates all the stuff on the oem sr charge harness . please help!! i just need the previously asked for pics and whatever else you think would be helpfull as far as chassis sub harness pics ,charge harness pics and fuse box plug pics .

its a 89 hatch with a s13 redtop, chasebays harness and chase bays charge harness, i moved the chassis/fuse boxes behind the dash . i get no crank unless i touch the starter wires together ,and im not getting any fuel even a prime,and no check engine light on the gauge cluster. please help
tengo240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #13542
HipHopHippo
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
and yes i am going to drive it
Old 04-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #13543
HipHopHippo
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Old 04-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #13544
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Get a Exhaust Pipe sleeve style clamp, and Copper Exhaust Gasket Maker Permatex.
Cut the pipe where the hole is(you have to replace it later on anyway), slide the clamp sleeve on. Squeeze a line of the permatex on each side as close to the cut as you can. Squeeze a second line 1/2" away from it, the another 1/2 from that one. Hold the pipe together and slide the clamp and fit the clamp. Get it nice and tight, then wait for the stuff to cure, at least 8 hours.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-36439/overview/

Gasket Makers : Permatex® Ultra Copper® Maximum Temperature RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

plus the permatex sets you back maybe $20...also similar is available at Autozone etc.

This will work until you can replace the pipe...ask me how I know
Old 04-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #13545
HipHopHippo
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
Get a Exhaust Pipe sleeve style clamp, and Copper Exhaust Gasket Maker Permatex.
Cut the pipe where the hole is(you have to replace it later on anyway), slide the clamp sleeve on. Squeeze a line of the permatex on each side as close to the cut as you can. Squeeze a second line 1/2" away from it, the another 1/2 from that one. Hold the pipe together and slide the clamp and fit the clamp. Get it nice and tight, then wait for the stuff to cure, at least 8 hours.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-36439/overview/

Gasket Makers : Permatex® Ultra Copper® Maximum Temperature RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

plus the permatex sets you back maybe $20...also similar is available at Autozone etc.

This will work until you can replace the pipe...ask me how I know
this is a good idea, thanks
Old 04-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #13546
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Does the SR20 Greddy oil pan generally come with stainless steel, 8.8, or 12.9 steel bolts?
Is it alright to use stainless steel hardware to mount the lower oil pan? I am not sure if I should order 12.9 hardware instead of the stainless bolts I have, or if they are fine to use.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #13547
S14/Ling

S14/Ling is an unknown quantity at this point
QUESTION!!!!!!

So today i had to replace the battery in my clifford car alarm remote. And i went out to go start my car (95 S14) and it wouldnt turn over, the dome lights wouldnt turn on. Nothing. So my guess is that the car alarm is killing the connection to the battery. The model of my alarm system is Clifford Matrix 50.5x

I didnt put in the alarm or had it put in, they guy who i bought it from had it installed im pretty sure. Im reaching out here im desperate.
S14/Ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #13548
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
Does the SR20 Greddy oil pan generally come with stainless steel, 8.8, or 12.9 steel bolts?
Is it alright to use stainless steel hardware to mount the lower oil pan? I am not sure if I should order 12.9 hardware instead of the stainless bolts I have, or if they are fine to use.
I don't see why not, just don't overtorque.
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #13549
DialedLife
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandriftingfat View Post
Nothing if you don't hit anything.

If you aren't *trying* to do anything (drift, drag, hard park) and you don't know enough to know which direction to go in, then don't go wild.

ALLLLLLLLLLLLL 240's have worn out bushings. Start replacing those. They won't cost you a lot and you'll learn a lot doing the work replacing them.
I do drift the car.

And yeah today when I was under it I noticed the bushings are toast.

I am saving to do inner tie rods+spacers. Should I upgrade the outter tie rods and the tension rods?
Old 04-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #13550
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
I do drift the car.

And yeah today when I was under it I noticed the bushings are toast.

I am saving to do inner tie rods+spacers. Should I upgrade the outter tie rods and the tension rods?
Upgrade whatever you want. If you so low that you get a lot of bumpsteer, get roll-center adjustable tie rod ends.
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:40 AM   #13551
Torq_Meister
Leaky Injector

Torq_Meister is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq_Meister View Post
Hello all i had a question concerning ka24de transmissions and the harnesses that connect them to the main harness.

Im about to swap a manual obd1 s13 transmission into my s14 obd1 engine.
I understand that the difference between s13 and s14 transmission is the sensor on top of the bellhousing. Is there any other differences such as the s13 and s14 trans having different plugs on the trans? maybe obd1 and obd2 ka24de transmissions have different plugs?

As for the lower harness, do i use a s13 lower harness to plug into the trans? can it mate to my s14 engine harness? orrr do i have to get s14 lower harness? does it matter if its an obd1 or obd2 lower harness? is there really a difference?

sorry for blocks of texts ,
thankyou for any replies.
Can someone answer this please?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Torq_Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #13552
bc.
Zilvia Addict

bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Yes a hole and I mean while driving
Well, don't disconnect it while driving, I think you would get hurt.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #13553
bc.
Zilvia Addict

bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
I just installed my pan a few months ago but don't remember what the bolts were. Here is some info directly out of my Mechanics of Materials textbook:

Minimum proof strength = 600 MPa
Minimum tensile strength = 830 MPa
minimum Yield strength = 660 MPa
Material = Medium carbon, Q&T

Minimum proof strength = 970 MPa
Minimum tensile strength = 1220 MPa
minimum Yield strength = 1100 MPa
Material = Alloy, Q&T

Q&T means quenched and treated
Minimum strengths are exceeded by 99% of fasteners
Old 04-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #13554
Maiku240sxS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (37)
Maiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enoughMaiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enoughMaiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
On a stock s14, can someone tell me how far down the Rear Fender lip is, to the body line?
Maiku240sxS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #13555
Breareos
Leaky Injector

Breareos is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by VNG704 View Post
5'7". Think I should be fine.

I swear I saw the red car had windshield washer nozzles on it. I don't know...
Screw it, I'll just get an M-Sports hood and not have to worry about a lip.

Thanks for the response!

Last edited by Breareos; 04-26-2013 at 03:04 PM..
Breareos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #13556
EnemyS15
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
EnemyS15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breareos View Post

Bad ass hood for cars with some power underneath, needing some serious air flow. I went hunting around on the webs to possibly buy this hood and the cheapest I found this hood for is 1400 USD and shipping to FL via "ocean" was 821. As functional and pretty neat looking as it is, I can't justify spending 2k for a hood. A damn shame!
EnemyS15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #13557
7RIFT0
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (14)
7RIFT0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Will s13 pignose lip fit on s13 sharknose bumper?
Old 04-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #13558
GreenMNTDC5
Zilvia Member

GreenMNTDC5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello fellow Zilvians. Quick question for ya.

Any ideas on why my coilovers squeak (on one side) when turning??

I'm pretty sure it has something to do the preload on my coilovers. Which i've been told by some should be zero, than others tell me i should use one coilover wrench (spanner wrench??) width of preload.

Any suggestions? Thanks, I appreciate it
GreenMNTDC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #13559
GreenMNTDC5
Zilvia Member

GreenMNTDC5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiewolf513 View Post
Upgrade whatever you want. If you so low that you get a lot of bumpsteer, get roll-center adjustable tie rod ends.
SPl makes great outer tie rod ends with adjustable bumpster inserts.

you will have to get 300zx inner tie rod ends for these to work however.
GreenMNTDC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #13560
Breareos
Leaky Injector

Breareos is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnemyS15 View Post
Bad ass hood for cars with some power underneath, needing some serious air flow. I went hunting around on the webs to possibly buy this hood and the cheapest I found this hood for is 1400 USD and shipping to FL via "ocean" was 821. As functional and pretty neat looking as it is, I can't justify spending 2k for a hood. A damn shame!
Ahh sure you can...

Reason: It's rare and I want it.

There.

lol..!

You just gotta keep saving, that's how I see it. But if that lip is going to interfere with windshield washer nozzles, I'll have to consider a different one. I swear I saw that their red demo car had washer nozzles...