Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #1291
yokotavia
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
yokotavia will become famous soon enoughyokotavia will become famous soon enoughyokotavia will become famous soon enoughyokotavia will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via MSN to yokotavia
Most normal alignment machines won't measure rear caster, which is dialed in with the traction rods. They should be able to do everything else though, you may need to explain your aftermarket arms though. Just make sure the machine is up to date. If its old it may be very tedious to use and its not uncommon for techs to cut corners because of it. Usually big tire distribution shops and dealerships have nice machines. Your best bet is still a race shop.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #1292
KA240SX808
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
KA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to KA240SX808 Send a message via MSN to KA240SX808
You can determine your Traction Rod length if you know your RUCA length. Do some bumpsteer calc for the rear and you can adjust the trac rod length to your desired toe curve under droop and compression.
* PigNose SMIC Grille/Vent P# 62697-44F00 *
LMK What you guys got
KA240SX808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #1293
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA240SX808 View Post
You can determine your Traction Rod length if you know your RUCA length. Do some bumpsteer calc for the rear and you can adjust the trac rod length to your desired toe curve under droop and compression.
Is there any formula/math that you know to do this? I've been wanting to get traction rods but I can't justify it because I don't know how to adjust them/what adjusting them actually does.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:01 PM   #1294
KA240SX808
Zilvia Addict

KA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enough
There is. I have it saved somewhere. I'll try to look for it. Unless someone finds it before me.
LMK What you guys got
Old 04-28-2012, 11:32 PM   #1295
cmg
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
cmg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any shop that does alignments should be able to adjust everything except rear caster. Some alignment machines wont show rear caster. No need to really mess with that anyways.
cmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #1296
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

word sux is an unknown quantity at this point
I am pretty sure that there are no alignment machines that can measure rear caster since you can't sweep the rear wheels. Most shops don't want to mess with aftermarket arms, if your located in the south ny area pm me and I can align it.

and kid I would love that formula, I have always just set my rear traction rods to the stock length.
word sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #1297
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA240SX808 View Post
There is. I have it saved somewhere. I'll try to look for it. Unless someone finds it before me.
Cool thanks! I have summer plans for my car that include new wheels/tires and an actual alignment from a friends shop so that would be great
Old 04-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #1298
KA240SX808
Zilvia Addict

I will advise you guys that IIRC the measurements were taken and formulated using an S14. Not quite sure if the Angle of the RLCA (Anti-Squat) plays a part in the determination of the Trac Rod/Toe curve you want.

paco - send me a PM with your eMail and I'll send you a copy when I find that xls
word - hit me up on 240SXF
LMK What you guys got
Old 05-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #1299
Chris28
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Chris28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hey guys, looking for some pointers for more aggressive transfers. I've gotten into the habit of e-braking every transfer because it's more predictable and I can put the car exactly where I want it. I guess it's not a bad thing, but I'd like to be able to transfer faster and stay on the power more. It seems like when I don't use the e-brake I always spin, mainly due to the car rotating faster than the steering wheel can keep up. Last weekend I tried a few runs without the e-brake, and on the downhill section I gained way too much speed and had to reach for the e-brake to scrub some off. Any input on how to get away from the e-brake while still maintaining reasonable speeds?

Here's a video from last event, you can really see how much I rely on the e-brake for pretty much everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAa1wRKLPlU
Chris28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #1300
One_love_silvia
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (38)
One_love_silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Have you tried just releasing the gas pedal, and letting the steering wheel spin back where it needs to be, and then catch it? You can use the gas and steering wheel to put the car wheee you want it.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #1301
Chris28
Zilvia Member

I did for a few runs, but the way I'm used to getting angle is with the e-brake. Without it I was using throttle to get to the angle I wanted, but at that point I was going too fast and had to scrub speed with the e-brake. I know I just need to drive an event with the ebrake taped down or something, but I'm wondering if anyone else has ever had to break a nasty ebrake habit and how they did it haha.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #1302
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris28 View Post
Hey guys, looking for some pointers for more aggressive transfers. I've gotten into the habit of e-braking every transfer because it's more predictable and I can put the car exactly where I want it. I guess it's not a bad thing, but I'd like to be able to transfer faster and stay on the power more. It seems like when I don't use the e-brake I always spin, mainly due to the car rotating faster than the steering wheel can keep up. Last weekend I tried a few runs without the e-brake, and on the downhill section I gained way too much speed and had to reach for the e-brake to scrub some off. Any input on how to get away from the e-brake while still maintaining reasonable speeds?

Here's a video from last event, you can really see how much I rely on the e-brake for pretty much everything.

it's your hands. Keep them at the normal 10 and 2. let the steering wheel do the work for you. You are trying too hard to keep the car drifting...stay on the throttle, and feel the weight shake back and forth when you lift and get back on throttle. Your hands should only be there to help the input. Steer by throttle.

this was a few years back...but i'm sure you get the idea.

in car steering wheel drifting - YouTube
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:00 AM   #1303
HellaDough
Leaky Injector

HellaDough is an unknown quantity at this point
damn i wish some one would make an instructionall video for the noobs you know. something to get them rolling.
HellaDough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #1304
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellaDough View Post
damn i wish some one would make an instructionall video for the noobs you know. something to get them rolling.
they called it the drift bible.

noobs just need to go to a track event and actually ASK instructors for help. One day at the track, will teach you everything basic. After 5 events, you should be able to drift with the rest of them.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #1305
JohnnyDrfiter22
Zilvia Addict

JohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura about
Chris28 its your hands and your letting off the throttle to much. From what the in car looks like your car front tires are pushing and your rear tires are gripping.

Trying clutch kicking instead of ebraking and use the ebrake to scrub speed, gain angle
JohnnyDrfiter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #1306
702s13
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
702s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
fckillerbee... you make it look so easy! i love how your still n/a ka in that vid too, just shows you dont need gobs of power to be able to drift good. i cant wait till im that confident in my drifts like that.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #1307
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 702s13 View Post
fckillerbee... you make it look so easy! i love how your still n/a ka in that vid too, just shows you dont need gobs of power to be able to drift good. i cant wait till im that confident in my drifts like that.

and that motor was slow as shit lol. those are 205 55 16's. tire pressure is around 50 psi cold. 1 degree of rear camber. zero toe around. -4.5 camber front. I believe I was running Federal RS tires in the front...it makes KA's a lot easier to drift with grippy up front.

Car setup is very important to accel quickley in a car. Not some super serious setup, but at least an alignment, and propper front tires. Each driver is different...so your preferences may change.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #1308
702s13
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
702s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
thats alot of camber im wondering if i should give mine a little more, im at -1.9 front and
-.8 rear, .10 front toe, on coils.. and my pressures are like 25 front and 50-55 rear cold. it drifts pretty well but my steering is nothing like yours. oh and my caster is stock ish lol.
and my front tires are pretty grippy, running 205/50r17 all around it kicks out pretty easy.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #1309
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
I'm having a bit of trouble drifting in the new setup. I've drifted the whole time using a stock sr, now built motor, tomei 256's gt2871r @15psi. I'm having a really hard time getting the car to break loose, maybe I just need more time at it. It feels like the car is bogging alot more when initiating, did I really lose that much low end? I'm having to really rev it up before kicking it out now, that normal lol?
di-devol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #1310
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by di-devol View Post
I'm having a bit of trouble drifting in the new setup. I've drifted the whole time using a stock sr, now built motor, tomei 256's gt2871r @15psi. I'm having a really hard time getting the car to break loose, maybe I just need more time at it. It feels like the car is bogging alot more when initiating, did I really lose that much low end? I'm having to really rev it up before kicking it out now, that normal lol?
well...boost should start right under 4k depending on manifolds and other stuff. that's a pretty mild setup...and you shouldn't have any issues. same tires/ suspension setup as before? just more power?
Old 05-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #1311
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Turbo is an .86 I believe. Full boost is at 4500 or so.

Hmm went from -4ish camber in the rear to -1, tire size is little bigger, normally 225/45 to a 235/45/17. Different control arms up front, but I don't see how that would matter. I didn't get many runs in, just seemed really difficult to break her loose.

I thought maybe the clutch was slipping, but it's more of a bogging. Car pulls hard, and I don't smell clutch haha.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #1312
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Quote:
Turbo is an .86 I believe. Full boost is at 4500 or so.

Hmm went from -4ish camber in the rear to -1, tire size is little bigger, normally 225/45 to a 235/45/17. Different control arms up front, but I don't see how that would matter. I didn't get many runs in, just seemed really difficult to break her loose.

I thought maybe the clutch was slipping, but it's more of a bogging. Car pulls hard, and I don't smell clutch haha.

changing front camber changes turn in and contact patch mid drift (more contact going strait, less contact while drifting...you'll feel more understeer). The control arms will make a difference...but not by much. and running a 235 will make it grippier, especially with that larger 45 series sidewall. You are just getting more grip out of the tire.

Sounds like you may need to just drive it really aggressive. try to get on the throttle sooner too....the turbo you are running is pretty much ideal....and i've driven more than a few with that setup. Try raising the tire pressure in 10lb intervals, and see if that helps with your bogging problem.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #1313
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

I think that's the problem, I was just excited to be drifting again, I forgot I changed everything. I was just trying to drift like it was haha. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #1314
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Quote:
I think that's the problem, I was just excited to be drifting again, I forgot I changed everything. I was just trying to drift like it was haha. Thanks!

no worries man. Next time take an in car vid....i can give you advice from the passenger seat then. lol
Old 05-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #1315
ziptie
Leaky Injector

ziptie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

I have the exact opposite problem, i learnt without the handbrake because mine was broken. The problem is I feel like im entering a lot later then i should be because of it.
ziptie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #1316
bataangpinoy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
bataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziptie View Post
I have the exact opposite problem, i learnt without the handbrake because mine was broken. The problem is I feel like im entering a lot later then i should be because of it.

Generally speaking, faster corners will allow one to use a multitude of techniques for early entries as you'll have more momentum to keep the car sliding.

I had the exact same problem, but only when entering super low speed corners (think 90* turns in a short, narrow industrial road). i dont think i was going more than 30mph because of how short and narrow the straight leading to the turn was.
bataangpinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #1317
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

word sux is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

as stated before is seems like you need to let the car steer itself more

that being said, has your car been properly aligned? with a proper setup it will make things allot easier
word sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #1318
Chris28
Zilvia Member

Thanks for the responses. Next track day is in a few weeks, I'll try to do more with the gas pedal and less with my hands. I haven't had the car aligned in a while, I'll be getting a real alignment before the track.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:25 PM   #1319
Chris28
Zilvia Member

Literally this video is what made me start using the e-brake so much. I guess it's just a safety factor thing, I only grab it on the 2nd half of the transfer, basically to control exactly how much angle the car gets and then go from there. I need to try other techniques, but after watching this video like 2 years ago I decided that e-braking was the best thing ever haha.
Deleted
Old 05-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #1320
TrustS13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
TrustS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Chris I know the feeling. I used to always clutch kick to initiate, but I do find ebrake to be more fun and precise. I think you do need to let the car steer itself more, and both hands on the wheel. I can't do the 1 hand wheel whip as well as you lol. I would say in your transfers let it go to almost full lock and romp on the gas while doing this also. I need to learn be more controlled (like you are) personally.
TrustS13 is offline   Reply With Quote