Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #1261
2jzs14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
2jzs14 will become famous soon enough2jzs14 will become famous soon enough2jzs14 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedVR4 View Post
Thanks for this tid bit, I had pretty much accepted that my factory temp gauge was just not gonna work. I still think I'd like to have a gauge w/numbers (ocd) but I'll definitely be doing this as well.
It's really a lot more simple than it sounds. It only took me about 15 minutes once I found the right size tap.
2jzs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #1262
BadazzSr20
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
BadazzSr20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzs14 View Post
It's really a lot more simple than it sounds. It only took me about 15 minutes once I found the right size tap.
the s14 sensor is smaller then the 1jz-gte the 1jz-gte sensor is 16mm with a tread pitch of 1.5

ill have to fill it in and then tap it out to the s14 sensor size.

also off my harness where the 1jz sensor is theres a signle wire plug there right now hooked up to the 1jz stock sensor. can i use that same plug just slide it on the s14 one once i have it installed?
BadazzSr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:04 AM   #1263
2jzs14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
2jzs14 will become famous soon enough2jzs14 will become famous soon enough2jzs14 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadazzSr20 View Post
the s14 sensor is smaller then the 1jz-gte the 1jz-gte sensor is 16mm with a tread pitch of 1.5

ill have to fill it in and then tap it out to the s14 sensor size.

also off my harness where the 1jz sensor is theres a signle wire plug there right now hooked up to the 1jz stock sensor. can i use that same plug just slide it on the s14 one once i have it installed?
Just make sure that the other end of the wire is hooked up to the temp gauge and it should work just fine
2jzs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #1264
rswails
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
rswails is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Does anyone know if the w58 with tripod / remote shifter fits properly into an s14? Also, has anyone tried the swan neck option and compared to doing the shifter extension option? Does the swan neck really shift poorly or is the $250 extension really worth it? Good thread here.
rswails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #1265
Entranced
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
Entranced is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
What kind of turbo manifolds are you guys running to fit? thinking big single, around a GT40 size
Entranced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #1266
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
<- treadstone here fits a 6266 T4. which is close to the old GT4088 size stuff.

Anyone Try a SPA manifold on a 240? Wonder if there is enought clearance.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #1267
JDM SPUG
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
JDM SPUG is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicktitty View Post
<- treadstone here fits a 6266 T4. which is close to the old GT4088 size stuff.

Anyone Try a SPA manifold on a 240? Wonder if there is enought clearance.
I think it really comes down to the engine mount kit, because some kits allow you to run the stock twins and others you have to go to a single.

I believe Omar was running the SPA Manifold in his S14.

He has a build thread on both here and supraforums.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #1268
Entranced
Leaky Injector

how does that 6266 spool? i was looking at it before but couldn't find any maps for it... i'm looking to build mine to around 700whp and spool by 3.5k
Old 01-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #1269
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM SPUG View Post
I think it really comes down to the engine mount kit, because some kits allow you to run the stock twins and others you have to go to a single.

I believe Omar was running the SPA Manifold in his S14.

He has a build thread on both here and supraforums.

Hope this helps.
i figured it had alot to do with the mount kit. Maybe i'll find a guy on SF with a spa manifold and see if i can get good pics/measurements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entranced View Post
how does that 6266 spool? i was looking at it before but couldn't find any maps for it... i'm looking to build mine to around 700whp and spool by 3.5k
Spool is awesome. i believe i get 15psi around the 3600ish range. on a .68A/R 700whp you'll either need race gas or E85.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #1270
Mr. Phonso
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Mr. Phonso is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Flicktitty, what wastegate are you using with your 6266? How low can you control boost without creep?
Mr. Phonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #1271
JDM SPUG
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
JDM SPUG is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
[QUOTE=Flicktitty;5091835]i figured it had alot to do with the mount kit. Maybe i'll find a guy on SF with a spa manifold and see if i can get good pics/measurements.

Did you happen to call SP?
I looks on YouTube from time to time in search of other 2J swapped 240's to see their setups and what they make etc. etc. etc. and have come across a few videos of 2j 240s getting tuned at SP.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:45 AM   #1272
nissan2787
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
nissan2787 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Everybody in the community either uses a drewgo manifold or a reinforced eBay which both can take excessive abuse. I myself an running a driftmotion reinforced mani and love. Had to shave my motor mount 1/2 inch put that also depends on the mounts. I have zerolift.

Also certain manifolds do not have an angled flanged so you will not be able to run an intake. This problem usually happens with 2jz and a intake would hit the water outlet unless you get creative!
Old 01-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #1273
JohanM
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
JohanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

quick question may be a stupid question but im just trying to get familiar with these engines.
i wont be running a/c or heater on this car, can i instead of looping the heater hoses together can i just block them off with out having any cooling issues?
JohanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #1274
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
I just received my Treadstone with Precision 6766 and QSV-HDTI.....I will take pix once its all mounted up.

Flick...only concern I would have with the SPA manifold (log style I am assuming) is that the mating surface with the turbo is almost completely horizontal where the Treadstone is at an angle, I would say about 20 degrees. I dont think you will have fitment issues with the SPA manifold and a 6266 because of the dimensions of both the turbo and manifold.

Entranced....If you want a Log mani then you have Treadstone and SPA. If your looking for a tubular then I would go with the Ebay one that everyone reinforces and sometimes does some porting to work trouble free. It really depends on the turbo you will use and the powerband you would like. If you want more a linear powerband and more TQ then a Log mani is the way to go. And that myth about them not being able to crack over 600whp is BS because a few guys are cracking 900rwhp with these now.

Here is a member on SF using the 6266:
I want to start by thanking:

Dave Jusko
FSR Motorsport Creations
Twins Turbo
Jason at ProEFI
Reid and Larry at Sound Performance
Zach Webb

My car is a 1994 stock long block 6 speed TT, car started in BPU form. Car is currently running a fairly pedestrian:

- Stock long block/cams
- Precision 6266 0.96AR DBB
- Spa cast manifold ported for 45mm Turbo Smart Hypergate with 14psi spring, recirculated
- Recirculated 3" downpipe and exhaust
- ProEFI E85 Flex Fuel, 36psi max
- Greddy 4 row intercooler
- Precision 1270cc injectors, dual Walbro 255
- 737whp, 685wtq @ 36psi SAE corrected on a Dynojet, plot below

Couldnt post the charts but it looks like he sees boost by about 3.5k rpm and gets peak power at about 5.5k rpm.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #1275
91ka24
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
91ka24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Wadacolor, just loop it and you will be good!
Old 01-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #1276
JohanM
Zilvia Junkie

alright thanks a lot!!
Old 01-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #1277
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Phonso View Post
Flicktitty, what wastegate are you using with your 6266? How low can you control boost without creep?
i have a tial 38mm on an unported treadstone manifold, with a 14.5 spring. i believe the highest boost the aem ever saw was 14.7 So it's pretty spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM SPUG View Post

Did you happen to call SP?
I looks on YouTube from time to time in search of other 2J swapped 240's to see their setups and what they make etc. etc. etc. and have come across a few videos of 2j 240s getting tuned at SP.
I talk to them alot, they go with the treadstone stuff over the SPA manifold. I found some pics that looks like it should fit height wise. They actually tuned my 240 too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan2787 View Post
Also certain manifolds do not have an angled flanged so you will not be able to run an intake. This problem usually happens with 2jz and a intake would hit the water outlet unless you get creative!
X2, The Treadstone manifold with the 6266 the intake is VERY close to the top water pipe. but with some loving and determination it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadacolor View Post
quick question may be a stupid question but im just trying to get familiar with these engines.
i wont be running a/c or heater on this car, can i instead of looping the heater hoses together can i just block them off with out having any cooling issues?
Yeap just loop it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchboost View Post

Flick...only concern I would have with the SPA manifold (log style I am assuming) is that the mating surface with the turbo is almost completely horizontal where the Treadstone is at an angle, I would say about 20 degrees. I dont think you will have fitment issues with the SPA manifold and a 6266 because of the dimensions of both the turbo and manifold.
The issue i had was the top mounted wastegate not allowing the hood to close. As was the turbo location in reference to the strut tower would be pretty close. I'm not changing my setup for a good long time. Just getting some more ideas for 3 other JZ 240's i'm most likely going to be building over the next year or two.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #1278
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Flick....gotcha that would make sense as a concern being that the placement of the wastegate is at the top. The runners do look a bit beefier on the SPA manifold over the Treadstone but I dont think enough to affect the flow/goals of most applications. The porting work done on my Treadstone by SP looks great. I am sure this puppy will be flowing very well on my setup. Cant Freakin wait any longer lol.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #1279
Entranced
Leaky Injector

Damn... I was hoping on making 700 wheelon pump gas... we don't get e85 around here :/
Old 01-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #1280
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

700whp on pump gas is going to take a large frame turbo for sure. For reference, on a 6766 you wont be seeing more than low 600hp on pump gas so you will need a turbo thats larger and flows more than that. Another reference, I have seen a post on SF where the guy hit 678whp on 95 Octane on a GT45 which is a large turbo.

Here is my friend Paul's setup:
Stock JDM 2JZGTE (JDM Cams)
PTE 7175 JB 5" Intake with cone filter
Haltech Sport 2000
Haltech 4Bar Map
Lucas 1200cc injectors
Dual Bosch 044 pumps (intank) -10 feed Y block to 2 -8s to each side of rail
R154 with Competition Stage 4 clutch (6 puck unsprung)
FMIC 3" piping with Tial BOV
4" DP heat wrapped 4" MP 3" exhaust

He only cracked 520 whp on 93 Pump and did 766whp on E85. Granted the stock cams held him back from more power but even with aggressive cams he wouldnt likely be gaining more than 60whp or so so putting him about the low 600whp+/- range on 93.

Moral to the story is that you will need Pump plus Meth if your even considering cracking the 700whp mark on pump gas on smaller framed turbos. If you can get your hands on E85 then its a whole different story.

Last edited by 2muchboost; 01-17-2013 at 12:51 PM..
Old 01-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #1281
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Or you could do a pump/meth. Depending on you and your tuners thoughts on the idea.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #1282
JohanM
Zilvia Junkie

got my engine in, its going in a s13
Old 01-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #1283
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
is crank-walk a big issue with the 1JZ's like it is with some of the 2JZ's and using heavy duty single plate clutches? just bought my motor and really dont want to drop 2G's on a twin plate if it's not necessary.
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #1284
1quk240
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (21)
1quk240 will become famous soon enough1quk240 will become famous soon enough1quk240 will become famous soon enough1quk240 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
is there anyone currently using a w58 or has used a w58 in there s-chassis?
1quk240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #1285
bullfrogg0
Zilvia Member

bullfrogg0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1quk240 View Post
is there anyone currently using a w58 or has used a w58 in there s-chassis?
I am. I've got a w58 in my coupe
bullfrogg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #1286
91ka24
Zilvia Junkie

I have a mk4 w58 In my hatch. The shifter sits about a 1 1/2-2" further back than the stock location. I just cut the stock hole back some and have 0 issues.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #1287
91ka24
Zilvia Junkie

Also, if anyone wants to remove there Ac and needs a cerpantine belt, go to auto zone and use this p/n K060747. It cross references to a value craft belt and is only $16!! Fits great and has a 1yr warranty
Old 01-19-2013, 06:52 AM   #1288
rswails
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
rswails is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91ka24 View Post
I have a mk4 w58 In my hatch. The shifter sits about a 1 1/2-2" further back than the stock location. I just cut the stock hole back some and have 0 issues.
Thank you for this info this answers one question I've had a lot of trouble getting answered! I also will be using a MK IV supra w58. For mounts I will probably use the $180 ebay mounts.

Quick question though what driveshaft did you use? I've heard if you get one from shaftmasters you need the measurements? I'd like to order mine before I put the 2jz though so I can't measure it. Also, I'm assuming you have the non ABS differential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrogg0 View Post
why would you order a driveshaft before putting a motor in? makes no sense.
You might be right, but here are my reasons:
1) I figured I'd make it a little easier on myself and connect the drive shaft while I have more maneuver room with the engine/tranny on a hoist.
2) This exact swap has been done a lot I figure someone knows what size I should get anyway to save others from manually measuring possibly.
3) I want to buy the smaller stuff first before I buy the engine because as I'm sure you know many 2jz's only come with 30 day warranty, so I am trying to get smaller stuff first and save engine for last to possibly have time to test it out well before 30 days is up.
4) Like many people on here, I like to buy used parts too sometimes and if I know the measurement, I have the option of buying a shaft that will work in classified section of forums and I could go ahead and start the search for that before having the engine.

Thanks for the input. Either way is not a huge deal, I'll post my measurements when I get the engine in in case anyone else wanted to know in the future.

Last edited by rswails; 01-19-2013 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: reply to bullfrong
rswails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #1289
bullfrogg0
Zilvia Member

bullfrogg0 is an unknown quantity at this point
why would you order a driveshaft before putting a motor in? makes no sense.
bullfrogg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #1290
Mr. Phonso
Zilvia Junkie

Mr. Phonso is an unknown quantity at this point
I wouldn't consider a drive shaft small stuff. Last thing you want is having a drive shaft that is too long or too short.
Mr. Phonso is offline   Reply With Quote