Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-22-2009, 04:36 PM   #1141
2fast4y0u
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
i align my CAS the same way the FSM says. cam lobes, timing chain and plug gap...all to spec.
the car wont run. if i turnt he CAS just a little, car runs top notch. Maybe i am doing something wrong...maybe im not.
take it to your tuner and let him make adjustments. then report back to us on how he fixed it because i would like to know.

im not being a d*ck or being sarcastic either. its hard to tell if people are being asshats in type, but i want to assure u i am not.
i really want to know how to fix this problem properly if i am doing it wrong
2fast4y0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2009, 06:40 PM   #1142
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I understand you are not being an ass hat ahhah.

I will ask my tuner about this. I am certain he can answer this question correctly.

I am sure if John or Steve chime in on this, one of them will know.

Daily driven
jspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:27 AM   #1143
bl3ujay07
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
bl3ujay07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quick question, who here uses circuit sport turbo lines with their gt2871r with restrictor?
bl3ujay07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #1144
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4y0u View Post
i align my CAS the same way the FSM says. cam lobes, timing chain and plug gap...all to spec.
the car wont run. if i turnt he CAS just a little, car runs top notch. Maybe i am doing something wrong...maybe im not.
take it to your tuner and let him make adjustments. then report back to us on how he fixed it because i would like to know.

im not being a d*ck or being sarcastic either. its hard to tell if people are being asshats in type, but i want to assure u i am not.
i really want to know how to fix this problem properly if i am doing it wrong
I talked to one of the members on here who is a VERY experienced tuner, and he confirmed that my outlook on the situation is correct.

The timing in a map is RELATIVE to where the CAS is when you put it in with the pulley set to TDC.

You may be getting better performance gains by rotating your CAS with the new cams, bc the cams very well may want more timing.

All I am saying is that the proper way to do it is to do the timing one each cell one by one.

If you rotate the CAS and THEN get tuned, you better be damn sure you put it back in the EXACT same way....

I would suggest taking a razor or something that can make a very thin line on metal, and drawing a line from the flange on the head to the housing flange so that you can "line" the two marks up when you go to put it back on.

Daily driven
Old 10-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #1145
djcobra
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
djcobra is making a name for him/her selfdjcobra is making a name for him/her selfdjcobra is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
No need to mark with a Razor, thats why we have timing guns. You said that you talked to 'Very' experienced Tuner, well I got my car Tuned by a Legit HKS Pro Dealer/Tuner here in Calgary; so I take his word when it comes to tuning. I've even talked to SteveShadows via email about this matter, he even said let the car warm up, and set timing to 15* and walk away. Whatever, each to their own...

Steve.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:01 PM   #1146
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcobra View Post
No need to mark with a Razor, thats why we have timing guns. You said that you talked to 'Very' experienced Tuner, well I got my car Tuned by a Legit HKS Pro Dealer/Tuner here in Calgary; so I take his word when it comes to tuning. I've even talked to SteveShadows via email about this matter, he even said let the car warm up, and set timing to 15* and walk away. Whatever, each to their own...

Steve.
That is EXACTLY what you are doing by setting the CAS to factory setting!!!!!!!!

The mating marks are set up so that the spark timing on the first setting (with stock ECU) would be at 15*!!!!!!

Daily driven
Old 10-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #1147
johngriff
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
johngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to johngriff
Yes.

Set the CAS to the factory setting, and never move it away from there.

If you want to adjust timing, buy an EMS system that will adjust the timing. This is Nissan ECCS electronic fuel and ignition control system, not a 350 chevy, or a 67 VW bus.

There is two signals out of the cas, the home window which has 4 open windows, and the trigger window, which has 360(iirc) and sets the time for the cam. The home window represents TDC on each cylinder, and the ecu counts the teeth offset from the home window on the trigger setting to time the injection of fuel and ignition.

So you MUST have the CAS set correctly at 15* so that the home window is aligned with the engines mechanical TDC, otherwise you are "skew-ing" so many things accross the maps that its un-reliable and potentially dangerous.

This also ties into my criticism of AEM, Autronic, Electromotive, Motec etc, that require you to change CAS wheels to those ultra low resolution wheels. Their delivery is only based on the home window + accel rate to time ignition and fuel angle, which is EXTREMELY UNRELIABLE.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #1148
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngriff View Post
Yes.

Set the CAS to the factory setting, and never move it away from there.

If you want to adjust timing, buy an EMS system that will adjust the timing. This is Nissan ECCS electronic fuel and ignition control system, not a 350 chevy, or a 67 VW bus.

There is two signals out of the cas, the home window which has 4 open windows, and the trigger window, which has 360(iirc) and sets the time for the cam. The home window represents TDC on each cylinder, and the ecu counts the teeth offset from the home window on the trigger setting to time the injection of fuel and ignition.

So you MUST have the CAS set correctly at 15* so that the home window is aligned with the engines mechanical TDC, otherwise you are "skew-ing" so many things accross the maps that its un-reliable and potentially dangerous.

This also ties into my criticism of AEM, Autronic, Electromotive, Motec etc, that require you to change CAS wheels to those ultra low resolution wheels. Their delivery is only based on the home window + accel rate to time ignition and fuel angle, which is EXTREMELY UNRELIABLE.

ahhhh thank you.

Daily driven
Old 10-25-2009, 07:28 PM   #1149
2fast4y0u
Zilvia FREAK!

2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore
damn guys! i have learned so much in the last few days about timing...im glad we are having this discussion. i will be rotating to TDC and resetting my CAS.
hopefully i get some better results
Old 10-25-2009, 08:27 PM   #1150
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

For anyone who is interested,

I got tuned on Saturday....let's just say I have never felt more let down in my life....I was so excited and so proud of all the work/money/time/research I did this time around...

And, with cams and IM added, I made 20 ft-lbs LESS torque, and it came in 800 RPM later.

At the end of the day, I just spent $2000, 60-70 hours of hard work, and dozens more hours reading and researching this setup, only to end up practically LOSING performance.

When the digital version of the dyno chart is available, I will post it, along with my old dyno in my "build" thread.

I feel like something is wrong with my car....something is just not adding up....it drives beautifully and the tune is excellent....let me remind you that the guy that tuned the car is one of the nation's best.

I am clueless, dumbfounded, depressed, let down, pissed off....

If anyone can help me figure out why this happened, I would really appreciate your eyes/brains in my other thread.

Fuck my life

Daily driven
Old 10-25-2009, 11:26 PM   #1151
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Please follow up with via PM

I want to help you out, lets setup another 21 dollar consultation session.

Before we do check the following

- camshaft timing
- compression test
- check your plugs see what they look like, take picture of the tips if you can so you can email me for evaluation
- you're using a Power FC right?
- also if you can send me your maps that you currently have I will evaluate them and correct them for free included in the total rate
- I want to help you get this right seriousl!!!!
Old 10-26-2009, 07:44 AM   #1152
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shadows View Post
Please follow up with via PM

I want to help you out, lets setup another 21 dollar consultation session.

Before we do check the following

- camshaft timing
- compression test
- check your plugs see what they look like, take picture of the tips if you can so you can email me for evaluation
- you're using a Power FC right?
- also if you can send me your maps that you currently have I will evaluate them and correct them for free included in the total rate
- I want to help you get this right seriousl!!!!
If I ever get Dataloggit, I will be able to do that Steve.

I really don't think it's the tune. The guy that tuned my car has been able to get very nice numbers and tq curves out of cars with the same setup.

This is what I WANTED to have....but didn't achieve.....SAME EXACT FUCKING MODIFICATIONS, TOO!:

evans tuning forums :: View topic - s14, blacktop swap, gt2871r, HKS 264s, 380whp/325tq, Power F

Additionally, the initial tune he did for me when I just had the turbo, but no cams or IM was DEFINITELY better than most and came in earlier than other dynos I've seen with that same setup.

I will PM you though.

EDIT:

There should be no reason that these cams need degreeing with adjustable cam gears right? As far as I know, the HKS Step 2's you just drop them in and they are good to go, right?

Daily driven

Last edited by jspaeth; 10-26-2009 at 11:44 AM..
Old 10-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #1153
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Damn bro those are great numbers... what did you have in mind... Look at that flat torque curve... is that on a dyno dynamics? numbers are so different between different dynos. THanks!

EDIT**** O woops I thought that was your dyno sheet....
Old 10-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #1154
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Damn bro those are great numbers... what did you have in mind... Look at that flat torque curve... is that on a dyno dynamics? numbers are so different between different dynos. THanks!

EDIT**** O woops I thought that was your dyno sheet....

Hahaha yeah I know, I wish.....

I drove the car last night, and it FEELS faster than it did before, but that might just be me getting used to being able to make power at higher revs.

grrrr.. i want him to post the digital image of the dyno sheet so i can show everyone and then be laughed at.

Daily driven
Old 10-26-2009, 09:59 PM   #1155
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Seriosuly though, let's schedule another consultation over the phone.

Something is amiss and I will bet you the 21 bucks back that it is something that I can figure out over the phone with another 2 hour conversation, maybe tomorrow night or something.

I want to go over the following in the call
-exact setup in the past
-exact changes now
-exact installation procedure

etc etc etc.

I dont have quite enough time to go over it and give you my full un-divided attention in the public space so lmk
Old 10-28-2009, 11:16 AM   #1156
+Waldo+
Zilvia Member

+Waldo+ is an unknown quantity at this point
I just ordered my cams so im finally feeling like im going for real in this set-up. only thing i need now are injectors and the actual turbo. where are you guys ordering yours through? Im looking for the .64 with 56trim and 3inch inlet on compressor housing...

setup will be(*still need)
z32 maf
tomei 256 poncams
megan tubular mani, with custom ex WG flange
tial 38mm WG, with straight dump
pretty fresh rebuild on redtop with 9:1
Apexi MHG
trust 3inch DP, through full 3inch exhuast
and either sti 550's or a set of 740's*

hoping for around 350 at around a bar+
anything else i should be watching for?
Old 10-28-2009, 11:24 AM   #1157
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Go with 740cc for sure. Also will help if you ever decide to throw on a bigger turbo.

Why only 256s? I thought Tomeis came in 10 degree increments 250 260 270 280?

Daily driven
Old 10-28-2009, 03:39 PM   #1158
+Waldo+
Zilvia Member

nope, they had 256/260's and 270's

and i didnt budget for upgrading my valvetrain, which i think would be smart for going with a bigger cam...

phase2motortrend.com is having a sale though on their tomei's get any one of the pairs i said earlier for 4 hundred.

there are alot of guys running the set-up though with stock cams, so i figured a slight bump would be pretty good. how much you think it will hurt me as far as shooting for around 370?
Old 10-28-2009, 04:06 PM   #1159
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Waldo+ View Post
nope, they had 256/260's and 270's

and i didnt budget for upgrading my valvetrain, which i think would be smart for going with a bigger cam...

phase2motortrend.com is having a sale though on their tomei's get any one of the pairs i said earlier for 4 hundred.

there are alot of guys running the set-up though with stock cams, so i figured a slight bump would be pretty good. how much you think it will hurt me as far as shooting for around 370?

A really good price.......FRSport has the BC Spring/Retainer kit for $200 total!

The coil bind and spring pressure are really good on those....someone one FA I think independently tested a bunch of brands (HKS, GRedddy, Ferrea, BC, etc.) and the BCs only came in second to the Ferreas, which are way more expensive.

I don't know a whole lot about the Tomei cams.....I know that ramp rate is very important in addition to just max lift.....maybe someone else will have something to say about that.

Many of the cars making high hp on GT2871r are doing so with 264 cams or somewhere near there.....you don't really NEED 270 or 272 with this turbo, from what I've read/seen.

Daily driven
Old 10-28-2009, 04:15 PM   #1160
+Waldo+
Zilvia Member

yea, i got yah. well i hope it works out, because cams are already on the way here...

where did you guys all get your turbo from?
Old 10-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #1161
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

I bought mine from the guy who tuned my car, as he deals directly with ATP and Garrett...he was able to give me a pretty good price....

I think I paid like $1000 or so?

Daily driven
Old 10-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #1162
garagelu
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (60)
garagelu is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 60 reviews
I got my 2871r from hybridynamics a couple years back. They were going for 1150 or so with free shipping. Looks for a place that has free shipping. Shipping kills on heavy turbos.
garagelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #1163
+Waldo+
Zilvia Member

true, thats about what im finding them for.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:06 AM   #1164
2fast4y0u
Zilvia FREAK!

i got mine from Touge Factory. im local to them and i got it for like 1200 but no tax and i bought over $2500 worth of stuff that day so i got 10% off.
im running hks 264 step 2 with mine and also have ferrea valve train. Cant go wrong!
Old 10-29-2009, 08:43 AM   #1165
s15specR
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
s15specR is making a name for him/her selfs15specR is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I got mine from MTR (manictechracing.com) Racing in Florida, its a precision turbo with garrett cartridge etc. It was around $1100 he also said Precision offered a warranty on those, not sure how that worked out though.
s15specR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:04 PM   #1166
+Waldo+
Zilvia Member

mazworks here in fl has the one im looking for for just above 1100. i guess ill hop on that
Old 10-29-2009, 10:44 PM   #1167
+Waldo+
Zilvia Member

well sorry to whore up the thread haha, ordered my turbo through mazworks... right at 1200 ugh. got a call from phase2motortrend too and they dont have my cam's so im back on the hunt for those. just need those and some 740's and the set-up is ready for a tune
Old 10-30-2009, 05:51 AM   #1168
2fast4y0u
Zilvia FREAK!

maybe its a sign that you should go with a different cam?
Old 10-30-2009, 06:59 AM   #1169
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Holy crap. I just found out why my turbo sucks...or doesnt suck enough.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:00 AM   #1170
2fast4y0u
Zilvia FREAK!

what are you waiting for????
TELL US!