Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #901
jasoncanseeoh
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
jasoncanseeoh is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxJohnnyxXx View Post
I find that i enter.....as fast as i possible can.
EPIC BRO.
jasoncanseeoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2011, 12:57 PM   #902
ROYAL.FLU$H'd.

ROYAL.FLU$H'd. is an unknown quantity at this point
ummm i see i def agree when i had the welded in it was alot easier to swing out but for now its my DD going around tight bends the rear tends to start to swing out a lil for street/track use i felt that the LSD would b best and most comfortable elminates that little hoppin through corners at low speeds lik with a welded..and yes i do have some driving knowledge thisis my 3 240 didnt really get a chance to drift my first them doe..i was lik 17 at the time haed a 5th gen prelude and jus previous before i got my s14 an is300 so i pretty much get the concept that everyone is sayin but i was wondering since i am RB how would i come into a turn do i use a slight feint nd throttle out counter steerin nd js adujust the throttle as need be to carry the drift but not over power it and completely spin out or do i js take the turn clutch kick etc..pretty much what would b the best way to approach??and im only boostin at 5psi since its my DD but i have a 12 lb spring for my waste gate as well..should i stick with the 5lb in at the track or switch to 12lb..
ROYAL.FLU$H'd. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #903
whiterps13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
whiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Oh my god. First off, learn how to communicate your thoughts effectively.

Youre asking such trivial, basic questions it hurts. Like people said, you will not learn how to drive by reading internet posts. Go to a track day. Go to a parking lot. Go somewhere, other than in front of your keyboard. Im sorry if this sounds harsh, but seriously your first 8 posts on this forum are asking how to drive. JUST GO DRIVE BRO!
Old 10-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #904
revcyanide
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
revcyanide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
and learn how to push the enter key..

Shit I hate reading walls of text.
revcyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #905
ROYAL.FLU$H'd.

ROYAL.FLU$H'd. is an unknown quantity at this point
question will never hurt but alright my bad im new to this.
ROYAL.FLU$H'd. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #906
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
iamtheyi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL.FLU$H'd. View Post
question will never hurt but alright my bad im new to this.
Grammar doesn't hurt either. If you were to read this entire thread, all your basic questions have been answered. So why don't you go ahead and read it. It's healthy. There are some higher level concepts on here too for your learning pleasure.

iamtheyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #907
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quick question... I can't transition to save my life, if I go through a corner and hold the drift as long as my pitiful stock ka will until it finally gains traction and spits me back the other way I can manage that, but I can't do it if/when I want to. For example if I enter at balcony/favorite un-named deserted street, hold the car out, let off the gas/give the wheel a bit more angle to let it transition, the car always carries too much momentum and spins even if I go to full lock as fast as I can...

I've been told give the handbrake a couple yanks in order to adjust the angle/keep from spinning; does that mean clutch in, keep revs up while I handbrake? or just keep my foot off the clutch so the rear will grip.. I've only been to 2 events, and only one in my car. The one I ran in my car I didn't even have the pbm coils in it that I do now, I had egay non-adjustable dampening shits.. so ya.. Thanks in advance for any answers!

Anyways, here's a example of me sucking.. First spin trying to do the course, second spin just tryin to do a figure 8

Geoffrey Adams's Videos | Facebook
Old 11-03-2011, 11:58 AM   #908
s13Kurt
Zilvia Member

s13Kurt is an unknown quantity at this point
One issue I had with transitions is that I thought that I could keep my hands near the wheel when it's trying to change direction.

Take your hands completely off and let the car do the work and I didn't get to see the vid but there should be no throttle when the car is changing directions. When it goes where you want grab the wheel and get back on the gas.
s13Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #909
bataangpinoy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
bataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
i find that you have to throw the wheel some times upon transitioning.

not the best video of me, but here is a good idea of what i mean. i spun out because i got a little jumpy and gave the thing too much throttle.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=3&theater
bataangpinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #910
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13Kurt View Post
One issue I had with transitions is that I thought that I could keep my hands near the wheel when it's trying to change direction.

Take your hands completely off and let the car do the work and I didn't get to see the vid but there should be no throttle when the car is changing directions. When it goes where you want grab the wheel and get back on the gas.
I was gonna reply about how much my hands are actually off the wheel, and another video that I had where I remembered my hands being pretty calm. But I watched it before I posted it up here and ya.. hahaha maybe I do play with the steering a bit too much.

100_7322.mp4 video by pacotaco345 - Photobucket
What my hands looked like

100_7321.mp4 video by pacotaco345 - Photobucket
A different run but probably what was goin on outside during the first video too.. Stupid cones
Old 11-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #911
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco345 View Post
Quick question... I can't transition to save my life, if I go through a corner and hold the drift as long as my pitiful stock ka will until it finally gains traction and spits me back the other way I can manage that, but I can't do it if/when I want to. For example if I enter at balcony/favorite un-named deserted street, hold the car out, let off the gas/give the wheel a bit more angle to let it transition, the car always carries too much momentum and spins even if I go to full lock as fast as I can...

I've been told give the handbrake a couple yanks in order to adjust the angle/keep from spinning; does that mean clutch in, keep revs up while I handbrake? or just keep my foot off the clutch so the rear will grip.. I've only been to 2 events, and only one in my car. The one I ran in my car I didn't even have the pbm coils in it that I do now, I had egay non-adjustable dampening shits.. so ya.. Thanks in advance for any answers!

Anyways, here's a example of me sucking.. First spin trying to do the course, second spin just tryin to do a figure 8

Geoffrey Adams's Videos | Facebook
Does your car have a LSD/welded diff?

Honestly, it looks like you aren't counter steering fast enough during your transitions.

Whenever you are e-braking, you need to have your foot on the clutch. As long as your clutch is in your wheels are spinning.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #912
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
Does your car have a LSD/welded diff?

Honestly, it looks like you aren't counter steering fast enough during your transitions.

Whenever you are e-braking, you need to have your foot on the clutch. As long as your clutch is in your wheels are spinning.
I have a welded in my car, and how would I go about countersteering faster? I mean I can only move my hands so fast.. would letting go of the wheel sooner solve the problem since the car can do its own thing then? Thats what I thought about the ebrake too, I just wanted to make sure.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #913
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
just trust me, the more you let the car guide itself, the better you will get.
the car WILL transition itself perfectly.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #914
Brian
Post Whore!

Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
not the best i've ever done, but you can maybe get an idea of hand action during transition at balcony.

DRIFTING (IN CAR) @ ZIPTIED EVENT (#2) - YouTube

you can also see the i spin out later because i let the car transition TOO much by itself and don't catch the wheel in time.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #915
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
not the best i've ever done, but you can maybe get an idea of hand action during transition at balcony.

DRIFTING (IN CAR) @ ZIPTIED EVENT (#2) - YouTube

you can also see the i spin out later because i let the car transition TOO much by itself and don't catch the wheel in time.
That makes sense.. and it looks so easy! lol The thing I don't get is how does letting the wheel spin for too long result in a spin? It spins to full lock doesn't it? So wouldn't the wheel going to lock throw you back the other way?
Old 11-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #916
GeneralTso
Leaky Injector

GeneralTso is an unknown quantity at this point
here's the best in-car driving vid ever. just kidding, but i enjoy watching it. this can help with alot people's questions with transitioning.

GeneralTso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #917
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

word sux is an unknown quantity at this point
you can ask as many questions, do as much research, and watch as many videos as you like.

but when I comes right down to it, its all about feel and until you get out there and do it then all the talk in the world won't help. go to an event and learn, no one cares if you suck we all had to start some were.
word sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:55 PM   #918
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

word sux is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by bataangpinoy View Post
i find that you have to throw the wheel some times upon transitioning.

not the best video of me, but here is a good idea of what i mean. i spun out because i got a little jumpy and gave the thing too much throttle.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=3&theater

nah that car just was setup like shit and had a terribad alignment you should not have to work the wheel that much.

its almost effortless in my car the car almost steer's itself never have to "throw the wheel" in a transition I just let go and it does all the work. Thats the caster, set you caster at like 7.5 and see how different it is...
word sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #919
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by word sux View Post
you can ask as many questions, do as much research, and watch as many videos as you like.

but when I comes right down to it, its all about feel and until you get out there and do it then all the talk in the world won't help. go to an event and learn, no one cares if you suck we all had to start some were.
I think everyone who has glanced at this thread already knows this. This thread is to shorten the learning curve not eliminate it; I'm sure someone would do better at a track on their first time if they had a general idea of what a "clutchkick" was...

With that said, I've been to a couple track days, and while I've certainly gotten a lil bit better, I'm progressing at no where near the rate I would like. Input from people who know what they are doing helps a lot.. Imagine going to the gym for the first time and not knowing what to do; I don't think you're gonna lose weight/get swole anytime soon...
Old 11-03-2011, 11:21 PM   #920
Brian
Post Whore!

I was still learning new things after years of drifting the same couple tracks over and over.

You will continue to progress, as long as you care to try
Old 11-03-2011, 11:42 PM   #921
bataangpinoy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
bataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by word sux View Post
nah that car just was setup like shit and had a terribad alignment you should not have to work the wheel that much.
also true, but again its different from car to car. i was used to having to throw the wheel in the e30.
bataangpinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #922
jiggysnitz
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
jiggysnitz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
I have a welded in my car, and how would I go about countersteering faster? I mean I can only move my hands so fast.. would letting go of the wheel sooner solve the problem since the car can do its own thing then? Thats what I thought about the ebrake too, I just wanted to make sure.
The car can turn the steering wheel faster than you can so if you need it to turn faster let the car do it. If you are still spinning on transitions try waiting until you know the car is about to transfer and then THROW the wheel into the counter steer as fast as you can.

Also, as was already mentioned, increasing your caster will help your car turn the wheels where they need to be.
jiggysnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #923
jiggysnitz
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
jiggysnitz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Another thing you can try is to power through the initial weight transfer of the transition. Some times I do this if I don't want the car to "snap" so hard on the transfer
jiggysnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #924
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
That makes sense.. and it looks so easy! lol The thing I don't get is how does letting the wheel spin for too long result in a spin? It spins to full lock doesn't it? So wouldn't the wheel going to lock throw you back the other way?
letting it go into full lock doesn't mean the car is gonna grip

if you're drifting and you hit lock that means you have angle and since youre still on the throttle then you're going to spin

usually, for me at least, when im at lock i try to let the car set itself and grip a bit before i keep gassing

seriously, go to a track. you were just like me when i started, thought learning how to drive meant sitting in front of a screen. I went to 4 events this summer and am super confident with my abilities now
chiboy002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #925
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
another thing you can try and it ACTUALLY works....is go to a track day...have an instructor sit with you on a couple laps.

it's amazing when all this advice you read...you see it and can do it...and have an instructor there, telling you the little things you don't notice in videos.

Like how BH's initiation wasn't on point....so he held the wheel a little longer to let the car rotate a little more, once he got the angle, then let the steering wheel go, catch that bitch...and stand on it!

brian....whens the next car build man? I know you need your heroin fix.
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #926
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralTso View Post
here's the best in-car driving vid ever. just kidding, but i enjoy watching it. this can help with alot people's questions with transitioning.

is that....ebisu? if it is....it looks way less aggressive than when you are watching d1. shiiiit.
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:51 PM   #927
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
BoostSlideWayz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BoostSlideWayz Send a message via Yahoo to BoostSlideWayz
He really likes that ebake huh.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #928
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

I like how everyone fails to read the point where I said I've been to two track days already, both with INSANELY different setups than what I have on my car now.. I'm 1300 miles away from my car right now and in college, on top of that it doesn't even run. As soon as I get back for christmas I'm planning on fixing it and going to an event. With that said I would like to have as much information possible before I go again.
Anyways, thanks to everyone who is giving input
Old 11-07-2011, 02:01 AM   #929
JDMStanced
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
JDMStanced is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i have a question about tires. Do you guys have trouble with tire treads chipping off?
This happened to almost all my tires except for continental ones.
Is it because of the tires (including no name brands), or is it because i don't warm up the tires?
JDMStanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:05 PM   #930
KA240SX808
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
KA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to KA240SX808 Send a message via MSN to KA240SX808
Are they used or new? If there used that's your main problem. There old and dry. Just about every used tire I've tried I had chunk on me with the exception of a few tires that didn't. Continentals actually chunked the worse for me.

There's a tire review thread somewhere in the tech section.
* PigNose SMIC Grille/Vent P# 62697-44F00 *
LMK What you guys got
KA240SX808 is offline   Reply With Quote