Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #871
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
No denying it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLlX6GK05bc
Old 08-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #872
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
MrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to MrMigs Send a message via AIM to MrMigs
Very cool video. Yup, long side-braking into corners is sweet. There was another video floating around youtube of a white s13 ebrake drifting uphill on a mountain. That one was a really cool video too... I'd post it if I could find it... Def looks more flashy and cool in its own way. If I can find it, I'll post it up for you guys.

Though the quality sucks, here's one for brake drifting. Also pretty cool I think. Be sure to turn up your speakers since the sound is real low. Guy chasing is in an FC fyi. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a8wIfx0l0c

[pointless story]A long time ago, when I first started drifting, I got some tips from Ernie. He said... just ebrake into all the turns. He showed me how to do it with my own car, and I was like ... wow fuking great, so I figured that one out. Later on, I met Casper and he said... dude, it's stock KA... quit scrubbing off speed and just kick the clutch and keep your foot down. He went through a whole lap using my car without braking. Freakin cool, so I figured that one out as well. Then finally I met Benson, and I remember once telling him... yeah man, I finally figured out how to connect the whole course without using the ebrake or clutchkicking. And he was just kind of like... wow that's good if you can do it without relying on that other stuff. So that's where I leave off. But in the end, the best technique is the one you're most comfortable with. Figure them all out, and decide from there.[/pointless story]

Drifting is just a compromise between you and your car.

Last edited by MrMigs; 08-11-2011 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: added pointless story
MrMigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #873
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Flybert is so damn cool! #1 !!!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #874
!Zar!
Post Whore!

!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Flybert is so damn cool! #1 !!!
Looking and driving cool. The key things required for rad drifting.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #875
jrifta_status

Trader Rating: (1)
jrifta_status is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Understeer is when you hit the wall with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with your rear end. Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you
jrifta_status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #876
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrifta_status View Post
Understeer is when you hit the wall with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with your rear end. Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Old 10-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #877
ROYAL.FLU$H'd.

Trader Rating: (0)
ROYAL.FLU$H'd. is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hey whats up guys im completely new to drifting i mean i have power slid a couple times but i know thats nothing compared to drifting. i recently traded my is300 for a s14 with an rb swap.six point cage and on stance coilovers.now i been reading what every ones is saying it really helps a lot. but for a beginner what would you guys say works best ebrake or slight feint?
ROYAL.FLU$H'd. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #878
ROYAL.FLU$H'd.

Smile

hey whats up guys im completely new to drifting i mean i have power slid a couple times but i know thats nothing compared to drifting. i recently traded my is300 for a s14 with an rb swap.six point cage and on stance coilovers.now i been reading what every ones is saying it really helps a lot. but for a beginner what would you guys say works best ebrake or slight feint?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #879
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
iamtheyi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL.FLU$H'd. View Post
The track. Get a year pass and do whatever works out for you. Nvm don't get year pass. Go to an event and let one of the instructors help you. 626 drift or Just Drift. Both great events.

Last edited by iamtheyi; 10-21-2011 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: edited for more
iamtheyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #880
ROYAL.FLU$H'd.

is there any thing i can do outside of the track like lets say an open vacant lot. should i practice figure 8s doughnuts etc.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #881
ROYAL.FLU$H'd.

is there any specific suspension mods you would suggest doing prior to actually gettin on the track besides coils.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #882
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
a diff.

but serious. before you wreck your car. take it to an event. you don't want to learn by crashing.
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #883
ROYAL.FLU$H'd.

well i jus took out the welded that it came with a threw in a LSD. but yea def will tak that advice and go to an event. im sure i can find some people up there willing to coach me..
Old 10-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #884
chiboy002
Post Whore!

chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
^wrong move

learn how to control the car while its drifting with a welded then move onto lockable differentials. If not you're going to be struggling to lock it while also having to focus on keeping control. I.e too much to start off with
chiboy002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #885
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

word sux is an unknown quantity at this point
why the hell would you take out the welded?

and by lsd do you mean a clutch type or a Vlsd???

start off with j turns and doughnuts. once you have that down move onto figure eights.
word sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:27 PM   #886
CrossfireJoe

CrossfireJoe is an unknown quantity at this point
vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMigs View Post
There was another video floating around youtube of a white s13 ebrake drifting uphill on a mountain. That one was a really cool video too... I'd post it if I could find it... Def looks more flashy and cool in its own way. If I can find it, I'll post it up for you guys.
Could this be what you were talking about? This is prob one of my all time favorites just cause their reaction to his driving...
Insane illegal street race & drifting in Japan - YouTube
CrossfireJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #887
CrossfireJoe

CrossfireJoe is an unknown quantity at this point
nvmnd This must be the one!

Dangerous and insane speed drifting in Japan - YouTube
CrossfireJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:08 PM   #888
ROYAL.FLU$H'd.

hmm..i see and i switched over because i hated the constant jerking through low speed turns..um i really want to jus get to some open space set up some cones and have like a mentor..idk yet but first got to work on gettin my license back jus curious to how i should approach driftin i kno its a complete different form of driving nothing lik time attack..
Old 10-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #889
chiboy002
Post Whore!

the concept is the same, the actual driving isn't.

if you want to learn, don't do it in the street with a license you just got back. You get caught, theyre taking that right back and you are getting owned.

You aren't going to learn much with a lsd other than a welded, as a beginner. We all started with one, its the essential thing as a beginner. Welded and a bucket seat, thats it.

Go to a track, learn there. Otherwise have fun crashing into shit.

All reputable drifting organizers will have a skid pad/practice area for beginners to learn and advance onto the main track. its so much more stress free than streeting. Adrenaline is high and so is the fear of crashing when you're on some random lot, you cant focus at all on learning
Old 10-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #890
ROYAL.FLU$H'd.

yea mos def im much smarter than that to try and drift on the street lol trust me just being patient gettin as much imformation as possible that will help me out but umm..why is it harder with an LSD if i may ask..and yea ive heard about willow and adams which would b better to begin with?
Old 10-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #891
ScRote20det
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
ScRote20det is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
yea mos def im much smarter than that to try and drift on the street lol trust me just being patient gettin as much imformation as possible that will help me out but umm..why is it harder with an LSD if i may ask..and yea ive heard about willow and adams which would b better to begin with?
He prolly ment you wont learn much "without" it.....like he said...grippy seat...and welded diff....and its good to go...
ScRote20det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:53 PM   #892
keistyle
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
keistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Send a message via AIM to keistyle
LSD doesn't lock the same.

Willow - balcony > Adams in every way.

Quote:
Old 10-24-2011, 11:56 PM   #893
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Quote:
a welded is always locked, whether driving forward or backwards or sideways or anything. There will never be slip.
For a beginner, this means that you can simply head into a corner and get the rear out and learn to keep it out without it suddenly slipping.
Why does this matter? You will be able to focus on car control, on throttle, on steering input, instead of having to drive in hard enough for the diff to lock.

Its like saying you have two diffs working at once, when driving poorly its open and when driving hard its locked, except since you don't know how to control it you don't know when its going to engage. The less you have to fight when learning, the easier it is to learn.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #894
626DRIFT
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
626DRIFT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
there is a beginner event coming up

http://zilvia.net/f/south-western-st...satuday-_.html

Nov 5th.

2 spots left. Only $80. Better grab it before someone else does!

The 626Drift Crew will be instructing at this event.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #895
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiboy002 View Post
For a beginner, this means that you can simply head into a corner and get the rear out........
Or you just Push which is most likely gonna happen.

You need to get the rear end momentum coming around, even with a welded.
ericcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #896
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcastro View Post
Or you just Push which is most likely gonna happen.

You need to get the rear end momentum coming around, even with a welded.
well yeah, its not as simple as just getting the rear out but everyone knows a welded is much easier to learn on than a #-way diff
Old 10-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #897
Perfect Balance
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Perfect Balance is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
LSD is fine. It locks when you're on throttle. Mine locks when I accelerate harder than normal from a stop light, and it's set to a fairly streetable setting. If someone is having trouble locking an lsd or it "suddenly slipping" then something is wrong with their car or they're doing something wrong.

Only thing that welded does is force either one or both of your wheels to slip in a corner, making it easier to start a slide since at least one of tires is already "sliding" to some extent, whereas an LSD will slip until you accelerate hard/make your car slide first. You shouldn't have any issues with an RB. That being said, a welded diff also makes your car understeer more. IMO starting with an LSD is fine, provided you're not retarded and have some understanding of driving dynamics and/or physics.
Perfect Balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #898
chiboy002
Post Whore!

didnt even notice he said RB powered
that changes everything lol

i assumed he had some low-power engine/set up
Old 10-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #899
xXxJohnnyxXx

xXxJohnnyxXx is an unknown quantity at this point
I"m more of a stab the throttle, kick the clutch, and let the power take over, then i use my ebrake for adjustment. I find that i enter.....as fast as i possible can.
xXxJohnnyxXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #900
jiggysnitz
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
jiggysnitz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Depends on the corner for me. But big ebrake is gangster. Or clutch kick the wrong way super early then flick and ebrake
jiggysnitz is offline   Reply With Quote