Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #811
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
It was in regard to the comrpession and rebound of the car mainly, it's not
6 clicks up front/1.5 turns (8611 in front)
.5 turn out back (8610 in rear)

Aside from that NJMP is a great track. I wish I was running more power and had no wastegate issues as my car is honestly geared nearly perfect for the track.

Alignment:

Alginment wise (c&p from NRR)
Front:
-2.5/3* camber,
0 toe
7.5-8* caster (math and turn plates my have been a little off)
Rear:
-2* camber
1/16 toe in
Trac rod IIRC is 8.25 or 8.5 I can't recall.
Run more front camber, our cars NEED it. I'm at -3.5 deg and probably going to go a little more next time I put it on the rack. I'm at -1.6 deg in the rear, and I might run a hair more like -1.8 deg. The rear end generally feels pretty hooked up though.

A few pics, sorry for no hotlinking, don't feeling like saving a pic. More camber = more grip = more weight transfer = looks way more baller in track pics.

Nevermind the super dead grass - only 1 grass fire last event!

Hart Photography & Graphics > Instructor Group - Set 2

Chasing Modded Exige (notice weight transfer on inside tires):

Hart Photography & Graphics > Instructor Group - Set 1

Passed Exige (he later spun trying to keep up with me):

Little Dorifto:

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2011, 10:51 PM   #812
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
I've felt the car needs more camber, however on Street Tires (NT-05's) I wonder if it's worhwhile. I'll try that for the next event.

Iv'e got Pocono North, Lime Rock, Watkins in a month, so i'll have time

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:51 AM   #813
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Def those pics are awesome! That's some serious aero. How much lap time do you think you're dropping with the wing+splitter?
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #814
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by SicBastard View Post
Def those pics are awesome! That's some serious aero. How much lap time do you think you're dropping with the wing+splitter?
They were worth about 2-2.5 secs a lap on a ~90 sec lap (1.7 mi track, so average speed is ~70 mph.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #815
Def
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
I've felt the car needs more camber, however on Street Tires (NT-05's) I wonder if it's worhwhile. I'll try that for the next event.

Iv'e got Pocono North, Lime Rock, Watkins in a month, so i'll have time
I ran about -2.7 with NT-05s and wear was pretty even, but I think they wanted more and would have been faster.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #816
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
I ran about -2.7 with NT-05s and wear was pretty even, but I think they wanted more and would have been faster.
That's about where I'm at now, I'm awaiting my own Camber/Caster gauge this week to recheck. i think I may be closer to 3, but can't remember if I had it exact with the old setup I used (which is why I have -2.5 to -3 approx)

I'll say this, I certainly see more wear in the back with that marginal toe in than I ever have with camber. Sure it's obvious but it's crazy to the difference.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 08-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #817
Def
Post Whore!

My rears wear very very evenly. My fronts still wear the outside a little bit much. The NT05s have stiff sidewalls though, so it seems to help with the outer tread wear up front. RA-1s are like sticky marshmellows, lots of roll, movement - but you can do the stupidest stuff and you won't lose it. Very very broad plateau of grip vs. slip angle.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #818
jrifta_status

Trader Rating: (1)
jrifta_status is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
old arse thread yo
jrifta_status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #819
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesarina View Post
Thanks, I think it's getting straighter than before lol, your car has been an inspiration for me, nice work!
Hahah Really? There is a lot better things coming in 2012 now that I finally getting some finances straight.

New Engine (Think I spun a rod.)
Rocket Bunny 6666 Kit
New Rims and Tires and 5 Lug
Rig up a Fuel Surge Tank
Get a Crashbar up front to better secure the splitter
Fix up the rear end cause it clunks a little cause of a burr on the ring gear some where
Paint Job too hahaha.... it will be a fun year!

How are you doing?
Old 10-31-2011, 01:25 PM   #820
Tbone240

Tbone240 is an unknown quantity at this point
As far as LSDs go, I heard a 1.5 is much better for road racing then 2 way. Has anyone tried out both? What were your personal experiences?
Tbone240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:34 PM   #821
Fresh2Death

Fresh2Death is an unknown quantity at this point
2 way is better if you are more agressive. if you like to drive it in hard, go 2 way, if you like to roll it in straight as an arrow, go 1.5way
Fresh2Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:41 PM   #822
Tbone240

Tbone240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the reply, I just bought a kaaz 2 way but people were telling me that it will break loose too easy on entrance, as I'm not drifting this has kind of made me hesitate to install. But I was thinking proper rev matching via heel toe on downshifts should not disturb the grip levels too much...I do drive really aggressive so what your saying makes me want to install tonight!
Tbone240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:30 PM   #823
RAMM
Leaky Injector

RAMM is an unknown quantity at this point

WANGTOBER FEST 2011 at Gingerman Raceway

Sorry I don't post on here much
RAMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:33 PM   #824
RAMM
Leaky Injector

RAMM is an unknown quantity at this point
RAMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:47 PM   #825
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone240 View Post
Thanks for the reply, I just bought a kaaz 2 way but people were telling me that it will break loose too easy on entrance, as I'm not drifting this has kind of made me hesitate to install. But I was thinking proper rev matching via heel toe on downshifts should not disturb the grip levels too much...I do drive really aggressive so what your saying makes me want to install tonight!
Its about initial turn in. 2 Ways have a tendency to understeer and snap oversteer when applied throttle. Now depends on torque settings on the 2-way as well. I ran a welded then a vlsd and then hlsd is definitely better
Old 10-31-2011, 11:20 PM   #826
Mesarina
Zilvia Member

Mesarina is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Hahah Really? There is a lot better things coming in 2012 now that I finally getting some finances straight.

New Engine (Think I spun a rod.)
Rocket Bunny 6666 Kit
New Rims and Tires and 5 Lug
Rig up a Fuel Surge Tank
Get a Crashbar up front to better secure the splitter
Fix up the rear end cause it clunks a little cause of a burr on the ring gear some where
Paint Job too hahaha.... it will be a fun year!

How are you doing?
I just got my 180sx repaired, had a bad crash this year

The rollcage helped a lot, now it looks better than before, I want to paint all the car now Bought MB Battles 17x9.5, I want to put some direzzas star spec or nitto nt05 245 and 255 in there because of rules (180 min. treadwear) Installed tein camber plates (my tanabe coilovers didn't came with them)

just bought a braille 15lbs battery too, peak performance outers and tein inners

and got an aligment

Mesarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #827
slider2828
Post Whore!

LOL nice, what coilovers are those?
Old 12-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #828
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Its about initial turn in. 2 Ways have a tendency to understeer and snap oversteer when applied throttle. Now depends on torque settings on the 2-way as well. I ran a welded then a vlsd and then hlsd is definitely better
Running a 2way on a grip car is just silly. Why on earth would you want your rear tires trying to keep the car going straight as you're entering a turn?! The only reason to run a 2 way is if it's adjustable and you can dial OUT all of the decel lock-up, or if you're drifting and the tires are constantly accelerating at all points in a turn. 2 ways help the drifters initiate, and help with predictability mid drift. If you're not drifting, don't install the 2 way, and don't weld your diff.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #829
Seraphim38
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
Seraphim38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Seraphim38
So are you saying that removing the kaaz 1.5 from my autox s13 and installing a stock diff would increase rear grip in and out of corners?
Seraphim38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #830
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

A 1.5 is hard to say, because the .5 basically means that it is half way trying to make you go straight on decel. So yes, a stock S15 diff would definitely increase your grip on corner entry, but I doubt it would on corner exit.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #831
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
No, keep your 1.5.

The helical will pegleg at autox and it's annoying. Even if it's not opening up and spinning one tire, it's always transferring power back and forth and it's not 100% predictable. I love helicals, but I much prefer a clutch type for autox because of how consistent they are and how they dig out of corners -- and of course no spinning of the inside tire.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #832
codyace
Post Whore!

1.5 is really the way to fly, and the best compromise of the options. I'd love a true mechanical diff like an Eaton Tru Track, but that isn't happening.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #833
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

STR8E180 is an unknown quantity at this point
im working on a splitter at the moment

its more work then i first thought
just need to make the mounting bracing/brackets

STR8E180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #834
Mr. Camshaft
Zilvia Member

Mr. Camshaft is a name known to allMr. Camshaft is a name known to allMr. Camshaft is a name known to allMr. Camshaft is a name known to allMr. Camshaft is a name known to allMr. Camshaft is a name known to allMr. Camshaft is a name known to allMr. Camshaft is a name known to allMr. Camshaft is a name known to allMr. Camshaft is a name known to allMr. Camshaft is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Camshaft
Will you be adding a wing or diffuser to offset the increase in downforce at the front?
Mr. Camshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:34 PM   #835
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

STR8E180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Camshaft View Post
Will you be adding a wing or diffuser to offset the increase in downforce at the front?
yeah its already got a wing

im also planing on covering back to the standard rear bar and adding a diffuser

the boot has also be reinforced to transfer the down force to the chassis
STR8E180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #836
Conrad 2NR
Zilvia Member

Conrad 2NR is an unknown quantity at this point
Care to show pics of how the lift-gate was re-inforced?

Damn, down under does it HARD!
Old 12-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #837
slider2828
Post Whore!

You mean the rear hatch? You don't need to reinforce cause its a piece of metal, but if it was a CF hatch it would need to go to the actual chassis.

I thought STR8E180 was in the US then I would ask where the heck did he get the aluminite! I can't find it.... .unless someone knows.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #838
Conrad 2NR
Zilvia Member

Conrad 2NR is an unknown quantity at this point
Wouldn't the additional downforce generated by the wing cause the hatch to flex and not make full use?

I asked because I saw where he said...

"the boot has also be reinforced to transfer the down force to the chassis"

I love the entire setup on that car except for the front splitter but Function>Form.

SR20VET FTW!
Old 12-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #839
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

word sux is an unknown quantity at this point
I am going to be building up a spec e30 soon =D
word sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #840
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
I thought STR8E180 was in the US then I would ask where the heck did he get the aluminite! I can't find it.... .unless someone knows.
You can get it from most sign shop vendors. I've used it when making signs for people. Nice stuff, little pricey though. I think it was nearly double the cost of plywood for the same size sheet, but I also bought mine in red for the sign

And FWIW: It's Alumalite

Quick Random Google result: Alumalite | Alumalite Panel | Alumalite Sign Board | Laminators Inc.