Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:33 AM   #721
streetprototype
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
streetprototype is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fries: so how did you fix your drivetrain issue? I'll be using the ka trans as well but when I spoke to 1uzswapkit, they said I could use a ka clutch mate it with a 3sgte pressure plate and flywheel but won't have full engagement of the clutch disc hub to input shaft. So just wondering how you did it? And what tob are you using and pilot bearing?

Anyone else with this set-up feel free to chime in as well.

Thanks!!
streetprototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #722
imperium

imperium is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiZ33 View Post
Stock s13 diff (welded).

I had a j30 in it before but the VLSD couldn't keep up with the 1UZ torque. I don't know what the ratio was.

I suppose I could change my final drive. I'm not sure if the car really needs taller gears or I just don't use 1st like ever. Not worth the trouble to me honestly. I like how it is.
The j30 diffs are a 3.9
I was using a welded one this weekend but blew it up, I think it's a good ratio for the 1uz atleast for the track I'm driving on, I'm going to try and find another one or maybe even a 3.7 but I think that might be too low for a stock 1uz
imperium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:37 AM   #723
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
Fries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetprototype View Post
Fries: so how did you fix your drivetrain issue? I'll be using the ka trans as well but when I spoke to 1uzswapkit, they said I could use a ka clutch mate it with a 3sgte pressure plate and flywheel but won't have full engagement of the clutch disc hub to input shaft. So just wondering how you did it? And what tob are you using and pilot bearing?

Anyone else with this set-up feel free to chime in as well.

Thanks!!
It was a purchasing error. I initially purchased a 3sgte clutch disk and KA24de Pressure plate. When I returned the pressure plate, I just assumed I had the correct disk. That was the issue.

3sgte pressure plate and ka24de clutch disk works fine. I think he's right, it wont fully penetrate the disk, as in OEM depth, but it does engage plenty. It will work fine man, just get the right disk/and pressure plate hahaha
Old 02-16-2015, 10:39 AM   #724
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Fries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfection
So I purchased the car and it was missing a whole block of fuses... I think.

Purchased a wiring specialties replacement lower harness. This is the alternator plug from fuse box plug->alt->fuse box. It goes on the that bolt and nut right?

From the fuse box I have these two thick white/red wires which were soldered to these two red wires. Previously, this was hard connected straight to the battery. Which Im guessing is why there was no charge coming back from the alt.

White/Red wire on the right goes to a 75a fuse, followed by running a thick power wire into the chassis harness around the front end, which im assuming is for the alternator fuse. The one on the left goes to power accessories throughout the fuse box.

Should both of these wires be hard wired straight to battery or should I have them connected to that bolt/nut post that the alternator supplies power to?

Sorry if this is confusing. I appreciate the help.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:03 AM   #725
imperium

Oh and for anyone wondering about that slow clutch return I was dealing with. With how I routed my exhaust it got abit close to the soft line so it collapsed internally , got a new braided line made up at a local hydraulics shop and put 2 different heat sheathings on it, working fine so far
Old 02-17-2015, 10:08 PM   #726
streetprototype
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fries View Post
It was a purchasing error. I initially purchased a 3sgte clutch disk and KA24de Pressure plate. When I returned the pressure plate, I just assumed I had the correct disk. That was the issue.

3sgte pressure plate and ka24de clutch disk works fine. I think he's right, it wont fully penetrate the disk, as in OEM depth, but it does engage plenty. It will work fine man, just get the right disk/and pressure plate hahaha
Thanks brotha
Old 02-17-2015, 10:22 PM   #727
streetprototype
Leaky Injector

So just for clarification so I don't order the wrong parts. I can use xat modified flywheel http://www.xatracing.com/1uzflformasw.html with a ka clutch and 3sgte pressure plate. Mate it up with this throw out bearing http://www.xatracing.com/uztokatrthou.html and pilot bearing http://www.xatracing.com/xatuztokapib.html? And of course the billet adapter.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:06 AM   #728
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetprototype View Post
So just for clarification so I don't order the wrong parts. I can use xat modified flywheel http://www.xatracing.com/1uzflformasw.html with a ka clutch and 3sgte pressure plate. Mate it up with this throw out bearing http://www.xatracing.com/uztokatrthou.html and pilot bearing http://www.xatracing.com/xatuztokapib.html? And of course the billet adapter.
Yup, exactly right.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:03 PM   #729
nextproject
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
nextproject is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Alrighty here we go!
Ordered my adapter plate kit, lightweight flywheel and spec stage 2 clutch from XAT Racing just now. Also ordered my walbro pump. Picking out the storage unit tomorrow and once i have that all sorted out i will order the engine and trans, rent my engine stand and start ordering all of the gaskets/hoses/seals/send off the injectors, timing belt, water pump, etc etc. Probably even a new oil pump. why not. all OEM. paint a few things and work on WIRING. Ecu goes to russia for immobilizer bypass, order SRT intake and daughterboard.

Then custom a/c lines. fuel line solution, evap solution, run heater hoses, sort out the cooling system with the largest, slimmest fan (spal). Here we go folks!

THIS time around, i will start my own thread documented with dozens of pics. Unfortunately the bumper must also come off for bodywork and repair of my overpriced jdm kouki lip. Will also most likely be doing the TSX projector retrofit. already have the projectors w/ retrofitsource.com lenses and some shrouds that may/may not even work.

Battery relocation will also be happening to accomodate as much of the SRT intake as possible.
nextproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:47 PM   #730
nextproject
Zilvia Member

VVTi 1uz is coming out of new york from JDMEngineWorld. Paid 1150 shipped with the trans. Apparently if i can got the trans and locate all the solenoids someplace (hey, wires CAN be extended!) then i basically only end up with a VSS code. Also will have to make a switch of some sort to allow the engine to crank thinking its in "P" and then flip/activate the switch to switch it over to "D".

CD009 brand new in the box is sitting in the shop right now. Will disassemble this weekend to have the bellhousing machined 5/8" to accomodate the XAT Adapter plate.

2/27: Bellhousing is off of my brand new CD009 and at the machine shop for milling. Engine/trans/ecu/harness/accessories arrive tuesday!

Last edited by nextproject; 02-27-2015 at 03:11 PM..
Old 02-27-2015, 05:31 PM   #731
nextproject
Zilvia Member

Ok so i was thinking about shifter positioning, apparently a kit is manufactured by Hoke Performance that shortens it the maximum amount, i imagine that this will be necessary as well so i'll be ordering that. If i dont need it i'll just sell it. Im sure i'll need it on the CD009 even though i am machining the bellhousing the thickness of the adapter plate.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:25 AM   #732
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (41)
turtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
I've got a shifter mechanism that places the shifter even shorter than you think it can go, hahaha! It uses heim joint and removes the stock housing completely. I'll get pics of that soon. Can wait for your build thread btw!
Old 03-01-2015, 09:01 AM   #733
nextproject
Zilvia Member

Really. Is it necessary for it to be even shorter than this?
Old 03-01-2015, 08:03 PM   #734
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (41)
turtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
With having the striker reduced to it's very minimal length, your shifter still won't sit centered in the whole. It'll be about 2-3" back.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:09 AM   #735
imperium

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextproject View Post
VVTi 1uz is coming out of new york from JDMEngineWorld. Paid 1150 shipped with the trans. Apparently if i can got the trans and locate all the solenoids someplace (hey, wires CAN be extended!) then i basically only end up with a VSS code. Also will have to make a switch of some sort to allow the engine to crank thinking its in "P" and then flip/activate the switch to switch it over to "D".

CD009 brand new in the box is sitting in the shop right now. Will disassemble this weekend to have the bellhousing machined 5/8" to accomodate the XAT Adapter plate.

2/27: Bellhousing is off of my brand new CD009 and at the machine shop for milling. Engine/trans/ecu/harness/accessories arrive tuesday!

woah are you saying you got a VVTI 1u AND cd009 for the price , or is that for motor and stock auto box and you got the CD009 new seperatly, if thats the case where?
Old 03-02-2015, 06:27 AM   #736
nextproject
Zilvia Member

Lol no. The CD009 was purchased new from nissan for 1850 shipped/tax. The 1150 was for the 1uz with its corresponding auto trans.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:05 AM   #737
imperium

dang, im assuming you got the cd009 from z1 motorsports then?
Old 03-02-2015, 11:58 AM   #738
nextproject
Zilvia Member

No, i purchased it through a local dealer i am employed with. i didnt feel like driving down to carrolton, ga to pick it up, this way it was just delivered to me for a 20 dollar fee.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:57 PM   #739
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Is the Park/Drive thing a vvti only issue? Typical as long as IGN power is given to the Neutral Safety Wire, it will tell the engine its in park and allow it to crank and drive.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:13 AM   #740
shoguner
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
shoguner is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Hey guys, having some issues with my clutch.

I have 3sgte flywheel, sr clutch, 3sgte pressure plate, z32 trans, extended tob.

I have 19mm of throw on the clutch fork, is this normal?
I have the clutch adjusted all the way in the car, i even removed the sensor so i could gain some more throw.
This is a brand new 6 puck clutch.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:16 AM   #741
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoguner View Post
Hey guys, having some issues with my clutch.

I have 3sgte flywheel, sr clutch, 3sgte pressure plate, z32 trans, extended tob.

I have 19mm of throw on the clutch fork, is this normal?
I have the clutch adjusted all the way in the car, i even removed the sensor so i could gain some more throw.
This is a brand new 6 puck clutch.
Hydraulic system issue?
Old 03-05-2015, 09:47 AM   #742
shoguner
Zilvia Junkie

It seems to be acting normal.
It worked with my old worn clutch, but this having more material, it wont release.
I don't have it in the car. yet. I have it next to my car so i can attach the slave to the trans.
Then i have the drive shaft in there. Is it normal for brand new clutches to be hard to release?
Could i be pushing too much on the clutch? Is that a thing with single plates?
Old 03-05-2015, 01:18 PM   #743
nextproject
Zilvia Member

Okay. Anyone considering the vvti engine must also be willing to install the corresponding throttle pedal outta a lexus xx400.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:46 PM   #744
George_R

George_R is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to George_R
only 3uz needs separate electronic pedal
any 1uz-fe vvti has pedal sensor located on throttle body. It's still cable driven
George_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:13 AM   #745
nextproject
Zilvia Member

Ah yes, after further research i realized this myself, its weird. cable driven to the throttle body, then the signal is sent from the TB/sensors to the ecu and ecu commands certain throttle angles based on that info. toyota ETCS-i works that way apparently. good to know!
Old 03-13-2015, 08:24 AM   #746
shoguner
Zilvia Junkie

I am just having all sorts of problems with the engine.

Alright peeps.
So. rebuilt the 1uz. Tuesday it had 40psi of oil pressure while cranking, with no plugs to prime the engine. Wednesday, start it, it has 0 oil pressure (as the gauge says). Take off the sensor, oil pours out while cranking. Let it idle for 30 mins to seat the rings. Drain oil, put 6 qts and new filter back in. Yesterday, buy new gauge and sensor. 0 psi still, take off sensor, no oil squirts out.
Anybody have oil problems with fresh new engine?
All i did was replace the rings and bearings.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #747
nextproject
Zilvia Member

Well most of the parts are in. Awaiting wiring instructions from cartune in australia, ecu is on its way to russia, lwfw is off to xcessive for machining of the ring gear, injectors are off to witchhunter, still waiting on my 3.69 r&p so i can see if it will interchange with the 3.54 ring and pinion i purchased out of a 350z r200 open diff. Valve covers and intake and coolant crossover are at the powdercoaters, timing belt, water pump, all gaskets and seals and plugs are done. Tried posting a build thread but apparently you need to be done with the swap before you post, so i will post one with countless pics when i finish and its running around with minimal CELs and working ac.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:00 PM   #748
JZ78
Leaky Injector

JZ78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Great info on this thread! It's awesome to not have to skip over immature posts. This will definitely be my next project in the coming months.

sent from my mind
Old 03-21-2015, 10:08 AM   #749
nextproject
Zilvia Member

cartune company on FB has available for 300NZD wiring instructions for the vvti 1uz. payment sent for THAT. also comes with email support. ive gotta get my hands on early 2000 corolla/camry ecu connectors now. junkyards here i come.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:31 PM   #750
badass8
Zilvia Junkie

badass8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Turtle Meth is the guy to go to for exhaust, custom work, or just simple jobs.

He did a crossover pipe for my s13. 2.25" from headers to Y-Pipe then 2.5" outlet straight pipe. Sounds like a champ and I haven't even driven it or rev'd it high yet. (I know I still need a flex pipe though.)

Just a short start up video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2V1nUjyv6k