Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #721
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BlackZenkiS14
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
My only issue with the OE style setup is the lack of trim on the compressor side. And lack of 3" inlet.
Right, that's my only hangup too. But I'm trying to figure out if its worth worrying about, or how much of a difference it would make, if noticeable at all.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #722
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Mikester is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
^^For what you do, my money is on 'not at all.' The OEM inlet is 2.5" IIRC, which tells me that a 3" inlet is not going to make a heap of difference.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #723
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZenkiS14 View Post
Right, that's my only hangup too. But I'm trying to figure out if its worth worrying about, or how much of a difference it would make, if noticeable at all.
The larger trim on the compressor side provides the ability to move more air.

The larger opening (least restriction) offers the ability to move the most air. Think of how they limit power on race cars? Inlet restrictors....

Now don't get me wrong some other factors are involved with this, but in our setups, where we're all running big boost, with big cams, and more efficient setups, you want to get the most air in, as fast a you can, and at the coldest temp you can. Larger inlet also provides for a smooth flowing intake, which helps as well. YOu don't want large pressure differences (pipe diameter changes) if you can avoid them as well.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:45 AM   #724
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
^^Cody, I understand that completely... But Kyle is only looking to make 400-ish and his current setup is more than capable without having to make any changes to his piping. His car is a daily as much as it is a track car. Don't get me wrong- what you are saying makes perfect sense as always... Just saying that for all intensive purposes, the bang for the buck (only my opinion) isn't there for him to revamp his piping... With his current mod list, a plug/play turbo upgrade and a new tune will give him max fun-factor & good flow characteristics. As far as the compressor 'trim' that is Greek to me lol... but again, Kyle has used the KISS concept in nearly everything he has done. End result for him is a very reliable, fun car that is easy to work on and a blast to drive (I've only ridden in it once and it was amazing!)... Why reinvent the wheel? Seems to me that a 3" inlet, extra trim etc. may be much more critical for a guy going for 500+... But again, I'm no expert... and Kyle, I hope you know I'm not trying to troll your thread to pieces- just putting my own, layman's perspective out here in hopes of maybe learning something myself.

Furthermore- once Kyle upgrades his turbine, I'd think that the best bang for his buck would be a tranny upgrade. The stock SR tranny will NOT last at this power level no matter how awesome of a driver he is; and no matter how meticulous his maintenance regimen. $.02 please
Old 01-17-2014, 09:54 AM   #725
koukistylejdm
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
koukistylejdm is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
all right those gtx can eat a sr tranny in a matter of days if you hi rev and drop the clutch on 3rd gear..... :/

btw if someone want to save on the comp housing and turbine housing mine is for sale
gtx2867
koukistylejdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:38 PM   #726
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
I didn't consider the fact that he already had that OEM style compressour inlet/outlet, so that is a good point in regarding to keeping it simple and done. Would the trouble be worth the power? ...I know from 2871r and 28rs land that the 3" covers always made nicer curves and a little more. I'm not saying it's wrong, but I think it may be worth the justifiable cost and time. I wouldn't say it makes it any less or more reliable, or easier to work on though.

Transmission wise, I'd agree if banging gears. But knock on wood with a new clutch and better fluid, my box has lasted 3 years now, with thousands of track miles....

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 01-18-2014, 07:28 AM   #727
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I didn't consider the fact that he already had that OEM style compressour inlet/outlet, so that is a good point in regarding to keeping it simple and done. Would the trouble be worth the power? ...I know from 2871r and 28rs land that the 3" covers always made nicer curves and a little more. I'm not saying it's wrong, but I think it may be worth the justifiable cost and time. I wouldn't say it makes it any less or more reliable, or easier to work on though.

Transmission wise, I'd agree if banging gears. But knock on wood with a new clutch and better fluid, my box has lasted 3 years now, with thousands of track miles....
That's what Im hoping. Cody, can you PM some pics of your setup. The turbo side preferrably. Want to see how much TIG work will be needed if I went with the 3" compressor housing.

Same with with gear box, I'll probably need to start saving for a 350z setup I guess, and shortly after a built long block lol Its all down hill from here.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:40 AM   #728
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:

^^
1. pretty sure bigger compressor covers always better. almost always.
2. Its probably because you know how to drive. anyone can break a box with a stock engine in any car with desire.

Only thing left to point out is... some transmissions can fail (*cough S15) without poor driving. They have some kind of issue with a cir-clip that falls off with regular driving anywhere from 40,000-180,000km and destroys the box. Only reason i am not rocking one, and I still might.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #729
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
EsChassisLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Restrictive Air filters and inlet pipes can seriously harm turbos.

Probably not the baby 2867, but bigger turbos like 3071 and up, the turbos working harder to pull in air, and it can put pressure on the shaft. It can torque it enough to touch the blades to the housing.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:50 PM   #730
galant_x

galant_x is an unknown quantity at this point
gtx 2867 dyno

after mutch forth and back, i finaly mapped and dynoed my GTX 2867 setup.

My spec are:
Built bottom end.
Comp ratio 8,5:1.
Ported original exhaust manifold with external gate.
Ported orignial intake manifold with 60 mm TB
ARP topp bolts
MHG
VAG 2.0 tfsi coils
Standard intake boks
850cc JIC injectors
HKS 256 cams
+ pluss all the standard mods(exhaust, intercooler etc.)

love the feel of the turbo. Nice uppgrade over the GTR 2871
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SR20det GTX2867 98 blyfri.jpg (378.0 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg SR20det GTX2867 98 blyfrii 1.jpg (398.8 KB, 178 views)
galant_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:05 PM   #731
d3x

d3x is an unknown quantity at this point
Here is mine, setup for stealth.

d3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:06 PM   #732
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

What made you decide to go with the bolt on style compressor housing?

And when are you planning on getting on a dyno?
Old 01-19-2014, 07:22 PM   #733
d3x

Bolt on for simplicity (cost) and sleeper (cops). Nothing is funner than kicking someones butt with what looks like a stock engine.

Dyno tune booked for the 7th Feb and hoping to hold 18psi. (it's an s15 with nistune, z32 maf, tomei 740's, poncams and z32 box btw)
Old 01-19-2014, 08:47 PM   #734
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3x View Post
Bolt on for simplicity (cost) and sleeper (cops). Nothing is funner than kicking someones butt with what looks like a stock engine.

Dyno tune booked for the 7th Feb and hoping to hold 18psi. (it's an s15 with nistune, z32 maf, tomei 740's, poncams and z32 box btw)
Very very similar to my setup, I'd be very excited to see the numbers and the power curve on that turbo with that housing.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:07 AM   #735
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by galant_x View Post

My spec are:
Built bottom end.
ARP topp bolts
MHG
VAG 2.0 tfsi coils
Standard intake boks
850cc JIC injectors
HKS 256 cams

Nice graph, but why so much boost bleed off in the midrange? Doesn't look like the compressor was running out of flow when you really drop the boost. Plus that's a sheetload of boost in the midrange. You running race gas, or maybe E85 with the injectors static up top?

I wish these GT28 setups could do 450 rwhp without so much power roll off up high when the engine can flow (VE head, DET head doesn't have enough flow to do that much power on these turbos).
Old 01-20-2014, 08:08 AM   #736
galant_x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
Nice graph, but why so much boost bleed off in the midrange? Doesn't look like the compressor was running out of flow when you really drop the boost. Plus that's a sheetload of boost in the midrange. You running race gas, or maybe E85 with the injectors static up top?

I wish these GT28 setups could do 450 rwhp without so much power roll off up high when the engine can flow (VE head, DET head doesn't have enough flow to do that much power on these turbos).
my plan was to try 1,8-1,9 bar all to the redline, but this proved some what imposible with the EBC we had(AEM UEGO).

The car got an Vipec V44 pluginboard, som i am pluging the boost solonid in to this next time, and hope to get a more stabel boost line. like you said, i dont think the comp was running out of flow.

The car is mapped on euro 98 RON. i think this is the same as 95 fuel over in america.
There is still headrom in the injectors for more power, so it was just the EBC that was holding us back.
Still hoping for to break 430 WHP with some higher boost! The tuner is rather conservativ with the AFR, and aimed for 11,2 on boost.
Next time we will set target at 11,7. this should free some more power.

just got it done last night, so havent had time to drive the car to mutch, but it dosent seem to peek that high in the midrange on normal road driving.

Last edited by galant_x; 01-20-2014 at 08:57 AM..
Old 01-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #737
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
You should try a higher base wastegate spring pressure. You might be running into too high of a turbine inlet pressure that early in your rev range thus the gradual fall.

98 RON is like our 93 AKI pump fuel we get in many parts of the country. I'm surprised you didn't knock like crazy at 26 psi, but I suppose it's doable with low timing. What was your peak torque timing at like 4500-4700 RPM?
Old 01-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #738
galant_x

Quote:
You should try a higher base wastegate spring pressure. You might be running into too high of a turbine inlet pressure that early in your rev range thus the gradual fall.

98 RON is like our 93 AKI pump fuel we get in many parts of the country. I'm surprised you didn't knock like crazy at 26 psi, but I suppose it's doable with low timing. What was your peak torque timing at like 4500-4700 RPM?
hers my timming table.
The nummers might not do you any justice, as i dident ajust the CAS before the dyno :-p so it may be off 1 degree one way or the other.....

my also add that my combustion chamber have been reshaped. guess this may buy me some more timming. the picture is not my head, but same deal...
Attached Images
File Type: png base timming.png (129.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg tech-1.jpg (136.3 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by galant_x; 01-20-2014 at 04:16 PM..
Old 01-21-2014, 08:08 PM   #739
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by galant_x View Post

My spec are:
Built bottom end.
ARP topp bolts
MHG
VAG 2.0 tfsi coils
Standard intake boks
850cc JIC injectors
HKS 256 cams

Great runnign setup for sure, how much boost again?

Love seeing guys trust the setup and run it...I always say these cars can run, but way to many change shit off course and have it foul up.

Quote:

I totally agree. I'm sure you could get in the 425/450 whp with a shit ton of timing and on corn, but that's it.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #740
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Ok, so wastegate purchased, gonna try to get manifold welded up and thermal coated next week.

What retailer can get us the best deal on these turbos? I'll need it with the .64 T25 exhaust housing...

I got my 38mm MVS in, gonna get some stainless tube to extend the flange for the manifold. Ordering all new gaskets and hardware, going OEM on everything.

What oil restrictor do I want to use? I currently have a ball bearing S14 T28
Old 02-07-2014, 04:03 AM   #741
d3x

Well just got back from the tune.

Made 316hp and 395nm at 18psi.

Power was a bit low maybe? Only revved to 7k rpm and the boost controller wasnt responding to gain and sensitivity. So if I can fix those bugs I should get a bit more response and maybe 325hp. Drives great though and impressed with the torque.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #742
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
316/325hp and 291tq at 18psi?
Tuner, dyno sheet, and no more excuses!

Sent from my Highly Tune Galaxy S3.4!!!

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:25 AM   #743
mik5082

mik5082 is an unknown quantity at this point
Would a GTX2867 with a .64 housing spool quicker than a GTX2863 with a .86
mik5082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:26 AM   #744
Rb26kouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (63)
Rb26kouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
Yes it will
Not to be mean but read the thread
Rb26kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:43 AM   #745
galant_x

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik5082 View Post
Would a GTX2867 with a .64 housing spool quicker than a GTX2863 with a .86
the 2863 with 0.86 AR is just so wrong.
Get the 2867 in 0.64.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:18 PM   #746
d3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotbu View Post
316/325hp and 291tq at 18psi?
Tuner, dyno sheet, and no more excuses!

Sent from my Highly Tune Galaxy S3.4!!!

Are you can see the boost controller is doing a pretty average job. Keen to her all your thoughts....
Old 02-10-2014, 07:28 AM   #747
Def
Post Whore!

130 Nm of torque drop off in just 1000 RPM is not good. Are you still on stock cams? I should hope not, but obviously those need to be changed out to make over 320 rwhp and have a good top end powerband.

Boost controller needs some SERIOUS work as well.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:52 AM   #748
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
@d3x, there seems to be some serious flow issues goin on with your setup. 17 psi by 5300 rpm is very telling

Also what is very odd is your peak torque and HP are not made where you are seeing peak boost but sometime after.

Something is definitely a-miss in that setup............
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #749
d3x

Its running poncams. Peak torque is more a result of timing and cams rather than boost so I think all thats fine. Im pretty sure the ebc is playing up so once sorted should bring me 17psi at 4k.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:47 PM   #750
Def
Post Whore!

You have bigger problems than that. I tuned a GT2871R .64 car with the usual cams and bolt-ons at only 14 psi and it was making near 330 rwhp.