Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #691
Slammed180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Slammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
been feeling generous lately...

(grin)
You get laid finally? What was his name? Err......

Old 06-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #692
Ablack92hatch

Trader Rating: (0)
Ablack92hatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
any updates?
Ablack92hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #693
yaba94070
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
yaba94070 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to yaba94070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablack92hatch View Post
any updates?
Second That!!!!
Old 06-27-2011, 01:06 PM   #694
Chase Bays
Zilvia Junkie

Chase Bays is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaba94070 View Post
out of all the ones i looked at this ones my favorite the tomei one is cool to but like 3k vs the AIM mxl is like a grand and works perfectly...
second the choice
Take a look at http://www.computechracing.com Logan used it in his G35 LSX build.

IMPROVING PERFORMANCE AND AESTHETICS WHILE SAVING WEIGHT AND SPACE

www.ChaseBays.com | [email protected] | (205)623-2188
Chase Bays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:32 AM   #695
Turbozx
Leaky Injector

Turbozx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, but I can just simply use a hole saw to open that area up if I need to. Then just paint the edge to keep it from rusting. I'll have to put some sort of finisher around the edge of the opening anyway if I cut a hole for piping to come through.
Sorry for the late reply, but I have spent the last few hours catching up on this thread.

I ran my intake piping through a hole there that i cut and have the air filter mounted on the bottom. It cleans up the engine bay and the filter gets a clean shot of cold air from the opening in the OEM aero bumper.

Toby - this is a great thread as I am contemplating the same swap and want to learn from someone who is doing it right.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #696
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Well, I still have had very little time to work on the car, but at some point it's just gonna take off and I'll get to get'n. I figured I better post something up before you guys give up on me.

UPDATE PART 1:

I had two large cutouts that needed sheet metal welded in. One on the driver's side where metal was cut out long ago from the previous owner and one on the passenger side where there were several medium-sized holes that I simply cut into one large one. The passenger side had a large hole from the intercooler piping, windshield washer reservoir filler neck and smaller holes from where I removed the battery tray. So I figured it would be easier to just weld up one large piece of sheet metal. Now keep in mind I have never welded in my life before all of this, so this is obviously my first attempt at welding in sheet metal or working with shaping sheet metal whatsoever. So hopefully no expert welders come in here and bash my work. Although I appreciate constructive criticism. I taped down a chunk of poster board so I could make quick templates.

I then traced the backside to get the shape I needed:

I cut those out then simply traced them onto some 22ga sheet metal:

I made short work of cutting those out with an air nibbler, then test fit them in the bay:

Tacked it up as I hammered it into place, then welded each one up:

I already got most of the grinding done so it's about time for some filler.

UPDATE PART 2:

I never run vanity plates, but I thought I would run some this time around. I feel like such a Damon(Greg) Young for posting a new set of license plates as an "update", but what the heck:

UPDATE PART 3:

I'm also struggling coming up with the dough to finish this project as far as the parts I need, but have come to the realization that it's most likely not going to be done before the end of this year. Time and money are both factors. It doesn't help that I keep buying tools and whatnot, but it's an addiction for me. My tools were overflowing in my garage, so I broke down and bought a small Snap-On 2-bay. It now makes it much more desirable to go out in the hot garage and work. I'm way to spoiled at work with my massive amount of tools there, so I'm trying to build a collection at home... it never hurts to have tools:

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds

Last edited by Broadfield; 10-11-2012 at 06:05 PM..
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #697
the555car
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
the555car is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Last edited by the555car; 02-23-2017 at 09:37 AM..
the555car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #698
JaredP
Zilvia Junkie

JaredP is an unknown quantity at this point
pics didnt work, but one thing i can definitely understand is the tools. gotta have tools and a nice comfortable work space or wahts gonna motivate you to go out? keep it up man, i've seen your work and cant wait to see this thing finished

edit: pics work now..your tool collection makes me jealous
JaredP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #699
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
You could have bought a whole lotta stuff for what you put into your home/secondary tool setup lol.

Sheet metal work doesn't look too bad, certainly functional. As long as you've got full penetration and minimal pocketing (which comes from impurities in the OEM metal or lack of prep on both sides) you can grind that down and paint right over it.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #700
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
You could have bought a whole lotta stuff for what you put into your home/secondary tool setup lol.
Yeah, I have issues... but I've been collecting this stuff for 2 years now. I only just bought the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Sheet metal work doesn't look too bad, certainly functional. As long as you've got full penetration and minimal pocketing (which comes from impurities in the OEM metal or lack of prep on both sides) you can grind that down and paint right over it.
Penetration is good and everything was prepped on both sides. After grinding I have some pinholes here and there, but nothing a few quick welds won't fix right up. Thanks for not being too harsh on me

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 07-10-2011, 03:32 AM   #701
yaba94070
Zilvia Junkie

yaba94070 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to yaba94070
wow that a lot of $$$ just in tools wish i had that lol really like the panels keep us updated
Old 07-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #702
ZilviaKid
Zilvia FREAK!

ZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the rough
jealous of how clean you keep your garage
Old 07-10-2011, 08:35 AM   #703
Z_Spool
Zilvia FREAK!

Z_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura about
lulz... that's like saying 'I'm jealous of how often you shower.'
Z_Spool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #704
joel.e.krueger
Zilvia Member

joel.e.krueger is an unknown quantity at this point
Your tools are cleaner than my kitchen utensils... I wish I had the dedication to be this organized with my car stuff.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #705
Melonburst
Leaky Injector

Melonburst is an unknown quantity at this point
Looking good dude, I am loving the organization. Lets see how long you can keep it up, I find that is my biggest problem to overcome when I organize my toys..er tools.
Melonburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #706
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel.e.krueger View Post
Your tools are cleaner than my kitchen utensils...
thats because from the looks of it, most of them are new and have never been used. i too have snapon tools, but they dont stay pretty and red forever.

Quote:
Penetration is good and everything was prepped on both sides. After grinding I have some pinholes here and there, but nothing a few quick welds won't fix right up.
im assuming those were done with your MIG right? not the prettiest but when it comes to stuff like this, who's going to eye-fuck your engine bay? at the time i didnt weld my seam welds, a welder did. i think they turned out good, but i've had others criticize. whatever. you can always criticize.

amazing how long all of this shit takes, and priorities in life come first. im in the same boat as you, spent a boat load in (used) tools, build up my facility to do the work clean and safe, and in the end.. you realize "fuck.... this is going to take longer than I thought"

i had a customer get pissed off the other day when i told him his project was going to take 5 months. he's like "cant you do it in 2 months, please.. for me" i'm like "hey moron, do you WANT it done in 2 months?" its like seriously, people have no idea how long it takes to do a job proper.

good luck toby
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #707
StReeTz
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (16)
StReeTz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Hey Toby what size wire are you running in your MIG machine? For sheet metal work I suggest using .023 wire it makes life alot easier and it tends to lay down very nicely. Good luck on the rest of your build!
Old 07-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #708
RACEBREAD
Leaky Injector

RACEBREAD is an unknown quantity at this point
wow suscribed! i have a question have you seen any c5 corvette clips or totaled cars and how much haha
RACEBREAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #709
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
thats because from the looks of it, most of them are new and have never been used. i too have snapon tools, but they dont stay pretty and red forever.

im assuming those were done with your MIG right? not the prettiest but when it comes to stuff like this, who's going to eye-fuck your engine bay? at the time i didnt weld my seam welds, a welder did. i think they turned out good, but i've had others criticize. whatever. you can always criticize.

amazing how long all of this shit takes, and priorities in life come first. im in the same boat as you, spent a boat load in (used) tools, build up my facility to do the work clean and safe, and in the end.. you realize "fuck.... this is going to take longer than I thought"

i had a customer get pissed off the other day when i told him his project was going to take 5 months. he's like "cant you do it in 2 months, please.. for me" i'm like "hey moron, do you WANT it done in 2 months?" its like seriously, people have no idea how long it takes to do a job proper.

good luck toby
Actually I clean the handles with 3M adhesive remover. It cleans them back to brand new instantly... no matter how much black crap is imbedded into the handle. All of my hand driver stuff at work is Matco... and the colored part of the handle is softer than a Snap-On. So they really "soak" up grime, dirt, sweat etc. I couldn't bare the look of them and tried degreaser etc... the 3M stuff is easily the best way to clean them. I have been using that method for over 15 years on my work tools with no ill affects.

Yeah, it is amazing how long this stuff takes. Last year I was ripping through stuff no problem, but the addition of a second child this year has really put a hurt on me as far as time and the energy just to work on it. It doesn't help that I work in a 95 degree shop all day, six days a week. I really have to gear up to come home and work in my 90 degree garage after work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StReeTz View Post
Hey Toby what size wire are you running in your MIG machine? For sheet metal work I suggest using .023 wire it makes life alot easier and it tends to lay down very nicely. Good luck on the rest of your build!
Uhhhh, no idea.... it's not my MIG. I wish I would have known that, but it will be nice for the next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACEBREAD View Post
wow suscribed! i have a question have you seen any c5 corvette clips or totaled cars and how much haha
All over Ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonburst View Post
Looking good dude, I am loving the organization. Lets see how long you can keep it up, I find that is my biggest problem to overcome when I organize my toys..er tools.
I have 10 times as many tools at work and they stay just as organized every single day... I think I'll be fine

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 07-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #710
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Quote:
I feel like such a Damon(Greg) Young for posting a new set of license plates as an "update", but what the heck:
lol. Nice welds Tony! Wish you were heading down to IA with us Friday...

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #711
Chase Bays
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
lol. Nice welds Tony! Wish you were heading down to IA with us Friday...
Yeah ya blew it, we all got an Escalade limo and partied till 7am.

but in reality we all went to sleep at 11:00 pm and woke up at 4:30 am to work ha ha

Old 07-19-2011, 12:43 PM   #712
kyles1988
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
kyles1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
lol you looked rough when i talked to you on Sunday
kyles1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:14 AM   #713
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Actually I clean the handles with 3M adhesive remover. It cleans them back to brand new instantly... no matter how much black crap is imbedded into the handle. All of my hand driver stuff at work is Matco... and the colored part of the handle is softer than a Snap-On. So they really "soak" up grime, dirt, sweat etc. I couldn't bare the look of them and tried degreaser etc... the 3M stuff is easily the best way to clean them. I have been using that method for over 15 years on my work tools with no ill affects.
thats until the handles deteriorate from the solvents. i had a box full of snapon drivers that were all messed up from chemicals, they warranty that stuff but still... snapon had a time when their handles had poor solvent resistance. i only clean them with WD-40 and call it a day.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:11 AM   #714
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles1988 View Post
That was awesome, lol.

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:43 PM   #715
Chase Bays
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles1988 View Post
Thats just how I look, Im ugly. I wish I could blame it on alcohol or insane drugs but I don't do either.

The week of IA I was awake for 60 hours straight, slept for a bit, then another 48. Hard to catch up from that haha.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #716
kornmanz
Leaky Injector

kornmanz is an unknown quantity at this point
Toby I'm dying to see the engine in your car already!
kornmanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:30 AM   #717
samgs14
Leaky Injector

samgs14 is an unknown quantity at this point
just spent the last couple hours going through this thread and all the LS3 hating aside its been a great thread I am getting close to starting tearing down my S14 and swapping in my 99 vette ls1 and t56.. Keep up the great work hope to see more soon!!
samgs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #718
bova17
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
bova17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
love the build and were did you get the ls
bova17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #719
Lukasss
Nissanaholic!

Lukasss is an unknown quantity at this point
-_- Me gusta
Lukasss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #720
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Getting close to paint time on the bay. A good friend of mine and I are going to paint it around the end of September. So at least I have a timeline that I'm working with. He's the painter at the body shop that several of my friends work at and that I always take my car to for paint work. He's kind enough to paint it there on the side, so I'm only in it for materials.

As for an update, I decided to fiberglass the front areas behind the headlight buckets. It was pretty wavy and this would allow me to avoid having really thick filler in those areas.

All of the welds are ground down, body filled, sanded and then etch primed on the bare metal left over.

I have kind of been doing an area at a time then etch priming it so it wouldn't start to get surface rust. Since I don't get much time to work on it, the bare metal was barely getting surface rust after sitting untouched for a week. So this method was a decent solution. The only thing left is to block the filler in the areas in front of the wheel tubs, then skim coat that... block it down to 320 grit, then etch primer the bare metal in that area. Then it will be primer time.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds