Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:10 AM   #691
George_R

Trader Rating: (0)
George_R is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to George_R
me too ) Only keep in mind I will sort of have a vacation from Jan 1st to about Jan 11th. Most likely I will not respond during that period
George_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2014, 11:58 PM   #692
badass8
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
badass8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

I have a question about this so called "Bimetallic Vacuum Valve Switch" I've read that its mainly for the EGR system and tells the EGR to open upon a certain temperature. Since my EGR is deleted it isn't really useful then correct?

I've sworn I seen a 1uzfe swap that someone took that valve out and actually put an aftermarket temperature probe for a gauge in that slot instead. I was thinking about doing the same instead of buying a Radiator Temperature Hose Adapter. Does anyone know the thread pitch in which that valve screws into? I can't seem to find it.

I plan to purchase this temp gauge. Hoping it fits in that valve's location. http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto+Meter/105...7pEaAglf8P8HAQ

On a side note.
This is pretty cool: A 900k+ mile ls400. I'd like to see an ls1 do that.
http://www.thesmokingtire.com/2014/m...e-lexus-ls400/
Old 12-28-2014, 12:28 AM   #693
Drifting Kalamari
Zilvia Member

Drifting Kalamari is an unknown quantity at this point
I got the basic Summit Racing water temp sensor that came with several different thread options. Can't remember off hand the thread size, but I took my BVSV to Lowe's and their basic solid brass plug has the same thread and pitch.

Here is a pic with temp probe

I also love that about the 900k mile LS400! And the fact the engine is FAA approved!! Lol
Drifting Kalamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:15 PM   #694
badass8
Zilvia Junkie

Exactly what I was looking for thanks again DK. Just bought the gauge and the clutch line you were telling me about. Good to know local hardware stores should have the NPT fittings just in case it doesn't fit with what comes with the gauge.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:55 PM   #695
rps13drift
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
rps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Haven't posted on this forum in a long time. Some updates on my 1uz/z33 swapped s14 that I did in 2012. Car runs great and is extremely reliable. Car sat for about a year and half after having a kid and she started up no problem and runs great. Got to run it on a dyno recently and did 2 drift events without any problems with motor setup.

Car made 214 HP and 226 TRQ on a lower reading mustang type dyno. Only modifications are intake/modified eBay tundra headers/2.5 Y-pipe/3 isis exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUaWYKYX9Cs

Last edited by rps13drift; 01-10-2015 at 08:39 PM..
rps13drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:46 PM   #696
nextproject
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
nextproject is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
So which adapter plate are you using? did you have to machine the bellhousing? how is the engagement? I plan on using the Z33 CD009, most likely purchasing a new one from Z1 motorsports. Unless i can get the hookup through the dealership.
nextproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:19 PM   #697
rps13drift
Zilvia FREAK!

rps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfection
I used the old school Brett Collins adapter that adapted the 1uz to sr20/ka/z33 transmissions all in one. Don't think he makes that one anymore. I also had to get the front machined 5/8 I believe. The thickness of the adapter plate. Have an old build thread in this forum with some pictures of the process you can check out. I'm using an cd006 and so far it's been great!
Old 01-18-2015, 10:51 PM   #698
badass8
Zilvia Junkie

Wow Rps13drift I just looked at your build thread for the first time ever and those fuel lines are perfect. I'd love to do something like that to keep the damn lines away from the exhaust.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:33 AM   #699
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Fries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfection
Sending my Flywheel off to Xcessive Manufacturing to have the ring gear machined to accept the 1uz's starter. My starter ended up going out because the flat gear, which the 1uz's starter engages ended up wearing the it out. Its only 80$ which is cool I guess.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:47 PM   #700
imperium

imperium is an unknown quantity at this point
ive heard alot of shitty things about xcessive, also any reason you didnt just knife edge your starter gear? i did that and so far its working fine for me

on another note, has anyone else dealt with a slow clutch return? it almost feels like something is binding internally, slave and master are both brand new
imperium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:22 AM   #701
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Fries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfection
Interesting. I wont lie, I've never done my research on them. I'm not even sure what you mean by knife edging the starter.

What brand clutch are you using? That sounds like it should be hydraulics vs mechanical binding.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:16 PM   #702
imperium

imperium is an unknown quantity at this point
i just took a die grinder and beveled the backside of the starter teeth, as suggested by collins in his swap notes

as for the clutch im using, its the one that came with the collins kit, its blue i think it is a spec clutch?
imperium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:32 PM   #703
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FX-STAGE-3-C...1bc11c&vxp=mtr

This is whats used in the collins kit. Might be your clutvh plate
Old 02-03-2015, 11:04 AM   #704
88Coupe
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
88Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
So what are you guys doing about your hoods? I hate the look of the spacers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
88Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:09 PM   #705
nextproject
Zilvia Member

Im really hoping that i can trim the skeleton enough for clearance. As long as the oil pan isnt any lower than the current KA pan, i already scrape that occasionally and i dont need to be replacing pans on the 1uz.

Im interested in whether or not the vvti intake manifold is higher or lower than the earlier 1uz.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:36 AM   #706
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Hood closes no problem. No trimming of the skeleton or anything.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:59 AM   #707
nextproject
Zilvia Member

Sigh thats wonderful wonderful news. Im t-minus 30 days from ordering the engine, trans, adapter plate from xat, sending the ecu to russia for immob bypass, renting another storage unit for assembly/cleaning/resealing/painting. 235s will not be enough even w/ an lsd so i'll order my te37sl's also!
Old 02-06-2015, 06:02 PM   #708
rps13drift
Zilvia FREAK!

I had to space my hood with the mounts I made for my s14. More so than I like. Made the engine mounts with as much oil pan clearance as I could. Didn't think about the hood until it was time to put it back on. Lol.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:33 AM   #709
ingmar F
Zilvia Member

ingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the rough
I made my own Engine mounts looking at pictures of brett Collins mounts. And i had to cut a little bit of the skeleton of the hood. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423297937.273705.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1423298012.811262.jpg
ingmar F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:44 PM   #710
streetprototype
Leaky Injector

streetprototype is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone know where I can grab an adapter plate and flywheel for a ka/sr transmission? 1uzswapkit don't carry them anymore . Kinda bummed about that as they were reasonably priced for my budget. I know xatracing has them but at $500(flywheel). 1uzswapkit had them for $270.
streetprototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:30 AM   #711
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Brett Collins (http://collinsadapters.com/) and our forum favorite turtle_meth makes adapters. I'd go with turtle, since he's a forum member and everything I've gotten from him has been superb. You can find his posts through out this thread.

After dealing with xcessive manufacturing, I'd suggest sourcing a 3sgte (iirc) flywheel and sending it to them to mod it. The work was top notch and completed VERY quickly. You can get em for a couple hundred bucks on ebay and then the modification is only $100+shipping for Xcessive.

Best of luck brother.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:22 PM   #712
streetprototype
Leaky Injector

streetprototype is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks fries. Ive been pm'ing turtle meth regarding the mounts. Didnt know he made adapters aswell. Reason for my above post was so i can keep everything close to nissan for the drive train as i can. Looks like my only option is sr clutch mated to modified flywheel with 3sgte pressure plate. Ive been reading up on your build thread. And hows that set up treating you?
streetprototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:23 PM   #713
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Clutch/Flywheel setup is perfect. Had no issues once I installed it. I think I really want to upgrade to a 350z trans, I'm worried about the KA's reliability if I were to go bigger on the tires. Currently running 215s in the rear.

But I guess it's really just a street/fun car and I dont care too much for performance.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:19 PM   #714
MiamiZ33
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
MiamiZ33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm running a 350Z trans. The gearing is really short - my 1st gear is totally useless and 2nd gear is pretty much useless too. My last drift event I stayed between 3rd and 4th. I'm on 235/40/17s and the 1UZ is quick to destroy them.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:29 PM   #715
nextproject
Zilvia Member

What is your ring and pinion ratio?
Old 02-11-2015, 06:31 PM   #716
nextproject
Zilvia Member

I plan on swapping out to something around a 3.54 or something around that. I've seen them somewhere, i'll have to do more research but i wouldnt run the z trans without swapping the r&p out as well.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:52 PM   #717
MiamiZ33
Zilvia Member

Stock s13 diff (welded).

I had a j30 in it before but the VLSD couldn't keep up with the 1UZ torque. I don't know what the ratio was.

I suppose I could change my final drive. I'm not sure if the car really needs taller gears or I just don't use 1st like ever. Not worth the trouble to me honestly. I like how it is.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:31 PM   #718
nextproject
Zilvia Member

Whats your speed at 70 in 6th? out of curiousity. My car is strictly DD/cruising with maybe "something later" down the road. So im doing it mainly for the mileage. The 1UZ isnt really used to cruising down the highway at 70 spinning over 3k for hours on end. I wish i could find a lower ratio, but i'll settle for whats available.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:53 PM   #719
MiamiZ33
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextproject View Post
Whats your speed at 70 in 6th? out of curiousity. My car is strictly DD/cruising with maybe "something later" down the road. So im doing it mainly for the mileage. The 1UZ isnt really used to cruising down the highway at 70 spinning over 3k for hours on end. I wish i could find a lower ratio, but i'll settle for whats available.
No idea, nextproject. I have no speedo and never really had anyone follow me. my car is strictly track with an occasional blast down the street or around town.

I can find out next time I take the car out for a spin and have someone around to log my speed.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:57 PM   #720
[email protected]
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
sooorad@aol.com is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Hey guys. I have adapter plate ( z,KA transmission ) and mounts, anybody in here want to buy them? Im located in 951 and willing to ship. I don't have bolts that go with plate(sorry). Bought it off turtle ( i think,dont remember )
Reason is I'm buying the complete kit instead of piecing it. PM please
sooorad@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote