Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:21 AM   #661
wannabdr1ftr
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
wannabdr1ftr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
you sir built a perfect car
Old 09-28-2010, 08:29 AM   #662
kyles1988
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
kyles1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
man that powerfc looks so sweet velcro'd to your dashboard.
kyles1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:21 AM   #663
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Gee thanks, Kyle. It does look pretty good all not burned up and whatnot there, doesn't it? lol

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:22 AM   #664
kyles1988
Zilvia FREAK!

wow...you got me there.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:54 AM   #665
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
Gee thanks, Kyle. It does look pretty good all not burned up and whatnot there, doesn't it? lol
Harsh!!!!!

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #666
kyles1988
Zilvia FREAK!

Its ok, I've been following him around in threads for weeks ripping on him. check the interior thread.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #667
holemilk00
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
holemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Yeah Damon really needs an amazing idea on what to do with that commander. I wonder if he used bride velcro?
holemilk00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:18 AM   #668
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
lol. I really didn't have a problem with where/how it is mounted until you guys pointed it out. I haven't really found a better place for it- I like being able to monitor knock and water temp, so I don't want to hide it away- we'll see I guess.

So I got some advice from Jacon at AutoLavish and picked up the products he recommended for me last night. I've got to try to get as many of the swirls and scratches out as I can in the next two weeks, so I figured I would give it a shot. I'm just going to be doing this by hand, so the outcome is not going to be crazy or anything- but I am already impressed with the test section I did last night. Like I said, not perfect, but a lot better!

Here are the products I will be using:

I left some pretty terrible micro-scratches when I had a tarp duct taped to the car this spring while the hatch was in for paint, lol. As you can see, most of it has been reduced to nothing- pretty awesome! This was really bugging me, so I am glad it is making such a big difference! Especially considering it is being applied by hand.

Here a less severe area- still makes a pretty nice difference!

[Image Lost]

So yeah, I'll have to do the whole car next week- I'll probably work on it tomorrow night a bit as well. Aside from that, I sorted out some lighting issues last night. Matej told me to run 921 bulbs in my front signals instead of the 194s that came with my D-Max position lamps, and thankfully that solved my fast blinking issue! I need to pick up another pair for the running lights, since the light output is a lot better as well. Now people can actually tell I am turning from the front of the car, haha.

My replacement H4 clear headlights also showed up from Sonic Motors, so I threw those on the car. I hit the headlight shrouds with some trim paint to freshen them up a bit as well. I dropped one of the previous headlights I had while trying to fix a wiring issue the night before my trip to Illinois, so that is why I needed to replace them. Thankfully they are pretty cheap, haha.

That's all for now. I'll update again next week when I have finished with the wax and whatnot. I am expecting my engine harness from Wiring Specialties by the end of the week as well, so I will install that and post a detailed writeup for everyone when I get a chance!

CamryOnBronze.com

Last edited by CamryOnBronze; 07-28-2017 at 02:15 PM..
Old 09-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #669
oldboy
Leaky Injector

oldboy is an unknown quantity at this point
just finished reading... amazing work! i hope my hatch gets half of what yours has! lol
good luck and i will be keeping an eye on this for updates.
oldboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:13 PM   #670
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I see your rock chips setting in lol. Godamn black paint. I'm going to try and have some more urethane thrown into the next batch of magnetic black I pick up.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:53 PM   #671
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
I see your rock chips setting in lol. Godamn black paint. I'm going to try and have some more urethane thrown into the next batch of magnetic black I pick up.
You just need good paint, it needs to be prepped properly and it needs to be applied to the proper thickness. The place that does my paint work I consider the best around. I have driven my car on multiple 1000 mile round trips and it literally does not have one single rock chip on the entire front end.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 09-29-2010, 08:19 PM   #672
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Yeah, I consider mine to be the worst paint, lol. The kid didn't do any prep work- and since my lip was white in a previous life, it has chipped away to white underneath, making the chips x1000 more noticeable. I have gone over about 100 chips at least so far with touch up paint and it still looks like that. Just a crappy painted I'm afraid. I plan to have it redone this winter, though!

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 09-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #673
yellowxhoodie
Zilvia FREAK!

yellowxhoodie is an unknown quantity at this point
ive been shopping around for new lights myself. Are these the lights you got?
Euro-Clear-headlights-h4-Conversion
those are the only ones i see on there.
yellowxhoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:52 AM   #674
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
You just need good paint, it needs to be prepped properly and it needs to be applied to the proper thickness. The place that does my paint work I consider the best around. I have driven my car on multiple 1000 mile round trips and it literally does not have one single rock chip on the entire front end.
Lets just say I spent 600 bucks on my paint, primer, clear, and the presta all in one buffing kit and I probably have one of the nicest paint jobs around lol. Then again the labor was all free. I just don't take care of the paint since I know I can have it repainted anytime I want lol.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:58 AM   #675
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxhoodie View Post
ive been shopping around for new lights myself. Are these the lights you got?
Euro-Clear-headlights-h4-Conversion
those are the only ones i see on there.
I actually have these ones, without the projector thing, in clear:

7X6-EURO-CLEAR-SEALED-BEAM-headlightS

They look pretty solid for how cheap they are, haha.

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 09-30-2010, 11:46 AM   #676
holemilk00
Nissanaholic!

holemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the rough
Just break down and get the whole car painted while you're down there again man, I'm sure Toby can get you in where he has his work done.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #677
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by holemilk00 View Post
Just break down and get the whole car painted while you're down there again man, I'm sure Toby can get you in where he has his work done.
Yeah, you tell him man!

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 09-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #678
kyles1988
Zilvia FREAK!

Oh yeah, we know the painter, head body guy, and number 2 in command there.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:30 PM   #679
holemilk00
Nissanaholic!

I think I might have to come with Damon next time to check these guys out, I have two cars waiting for paint that I can't find anyone I trust up here to do. I hate I had to cancel for the BBQ.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:39 PM   #680
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

^ Toby/Kyle- this is the guy I was telling you about- Shane. He was going to come with me to the BBQ but wasn't able to. He is also the one with the Silvia Aero bumper and sides I mentioned to Kyle the other day, haha.

I'd love to get the whole car painted, but I truly can't afford it any time soon. Maybe if I found a nice hookup, but sadly I don't think it will happen this winter, haha.

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 09-30-2010, 01:45 PM   #681
holemilk00
Nissanaholic!

I found one place around here Damon that does a lot of show quality cars, and my room mate just happened to know the guy that is head of the body shop, my hook up price on the two tone with the body work and paint. $1800. So I feel ya oh the "not this winter" part, although if I can sell a few things............
Old 09-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #682
Drift_This
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
Drift_This is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The arm rest and glove box look amazing man. The Meguiar's products are very good. Manly only thing I use. I also use certain 3m products. Those are crazy good too.
Drift_This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:14 PM   #683
Om1kron
Post Whore!

hey I was just razzing you about the paint chips cause I feel your pain, this turned into a discussion trying to get you to paint the car. LOL fuck that dude it's got monet paint and aint nothing wrong with that. No need to take the car out of commission again.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:47 PM   #684
tqstarburst
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
tqstarburst is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i have a question,what did you use to mold/put the bride skin on your door panels and armrest?
tqstarburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:05 PM   #685
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
hey I was just razzing you about the paint chips cause I feel your pain, this turned into a discussion trying to get you to paint the car. LOL fuck that dude it's got monet paint and aint nothing wrong with that. No need to take the car out of commission again.
haha not a problem man- the paint on my car is a common discussion between my friends and I. It kind of drives me nuts sometimes, since the car has a lot of nice parts on it, but the paint is far from perfect. I have learned to live with it though, aside from the horribly painted aero stuff. The lip absolutely needs to be redone! But yeah, the more I drive it the more chips I get- I guess I'll think of them as badges of honor for now, hahaha.

tqstarburst-
For the door panels, I used some kind of super intense smelling adhesive that Toby hooked me up with, applied with a spray gun. He has a how-to about it on his blog, broadfield.wordpress.com. As for the arm rest and glove box, I used off-the-shelf 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. It didn't work very well with the cheap faux suede I used previously, but it worked really well with adhesion promoter and the foam backing of the Bride fabric. Seems to be on there pretty good!

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 09-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #686
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by holemilk00 View Post
I found one place around here Damon that does a lot of show quality cars, and my room mate just happened to know the guy that is head of the body shop, my hook up price on the two tone with the body work and paint. $1800. So I feel ya oh the "not this winter" part, although if I can sell a few things............
Wow, $1800... that's probably not a very good paint job... or you are getting one hell of a deal. That is DIRT cheap. You REALLY get what you pay for when it comes to paint jobs. The paint alone and materials to paint an entire car is about half of that. Usually what I call a "good" paint job would be about $5000. Of course what one person calls a good paint job I might think is garbage. I'm pretty picky on my paint work. Absolutely all glass, trim, moldings etc. etc. must be completely removed. Even after I filled the vents on my fiberglass fenders and rough blocked them to what I thought was pretty damn good, my body guy spent another 8 hours getting them ready for final paint... and that was just two fenders. That was a wipe of Gold Rage body filler on the entire fender, then he blocked it completely down. Then a wipe of Evercoat Glaze on the entire fender, and blocked completely down. Then the entire fender was sprayed with polyester filler and blocked completely down. Lastly the entire fender was sprayed with primer and blocked down. Then base and clear.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 09-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #687
skylineguv

skylineguv is an unknown quantity at this point
So, SOOO clean! By far the nicest S13 I've seen.
skylineguv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #688
holemilk00
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
Wow, $1800... that's probably not a very good paint job... or you are getting one hell of a deal. That is DIRT cheap. You REALLY get what you pay for when it comes to paint jobs. The paint alone and materials to paint an entire car is about half of that. Usually what I call a "good" paint job would be about $5000. Of course what one person calls a good paint job I might think is garbage. I'm pretty picky on my paint work. Absolutely all glass, trim, moldings etc. etc. must be completely removed. Even after I filled the vents on my fiberglass fenders and rough blocked them to what I thought was pretty damn good, my body guy spent another 8 hours getting them ready for final paint... and that was just two fenders. That was a wipe of Gold Rage body filler on the entire fender, then he blocked it completely down. Then a wipe of Evercoat Glaze on the entire fender, and blocked completely down. Then the entire fender was sprayed with polyester filler and blocked completely down. Lastly the entire fender was sprayed with primer and blocked down. Then base and clear.
You're also comparing a quality job in an area with a somewhat thriving economy compared to a quality paint job in Michigan, SE Michigan to be more exact. This part of Michigan was in a depression 5 years before the rest of the country had even uttered the word. As for the 8 hours on two fenders, I could easily see it happening with a body guy that is a perfectionist/compulsive. As far as being able to put a price on a "good" job that's a pretty relative statement don't you think? I've had several cars painted in my life time, from a 57 fairlane 500 to a DSM, and I'll be the first to admit paying a lot of money doesn't guarantee a "good" paint job and a "good" paint job doesn't always have to be the most expensive. Usually a shop that has been around for a while without having to get by on doing collision work is usually a great sign of a shop that does quality work. My vert is currently on a rotisserie waiting for someone who knows what they are doing, and that won't be someone picked on price but rather experience and references. As for the price I was quoted on getting my car resprayed a factory color, it was a bit of body work, on all steel body panels, with a quality well known paint, and while I was getting a bit of a hook up because of a friend of a friend, I know its a really good price, that's why references and a long hard look at previous work went into my decision to get a car done there. But I have to say that what sold me was, after I acknowledged that there is no such thing as a perfect paint job, the owner of the place said he would give me the promise that he wouldn't stop working on the car, until I am 110% satisfied.

Back on topic, Damon, I know you beat yourself up on your cars paint a lot, way more than you should in my opinion, but you need to pat yourself on the back for having a car that looks amazing, especially in 18 year old paint, and its something that 99% of people aren't going to notice anyway because of the appreciation of the hours of amazing work you have put into that car under that paint. Your car looks great man, sit back and take in the glory.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:16 PM   #689
yellowxhoodie
Zilvia FREAK!

yellowxhoodie is an unknown quantity at this point
curious to see the light output on those lights. If you could post some pics whenever you get a change id appreciate it.
yellowxhoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:11 AM   #690
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Thanks for the compliments, guys- I really appreciate it. I know I am too hard on the car sometimes- I guess I just try to stay as modest as I can, since I would have never expected this car to generate this much attention. The paint does bother me a lot of the time, but I am so happy with the car and so grateful to be driving it every day with a minimal amount of issues. I guess I just never want anyone to be super dissappointed or think I am a poser when they see the car in person for the first time, haha.

yellowxhoodie- I'll get you some pics of the output this weekend. It's actually not too bad- I am just running the cheap H4 bulbs that they came with.

CamryOnBronze.com