Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:21 AM   #6031
sr20detconv
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
sr20detconv is making a name for him/her selfsr20detconv is making a name for him/her selfsr20detconv is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
After 1year and a half of work really proud of the final result! Just need a tune now.

sr20detconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2016, 11:47 AM   #6032
kalel540
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
kalel540 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Clean build!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2016, 02:55 PM   #6033
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BlackZenkiS14
Well, got the new coils installed, OEM Denso Coils, you can even see on a few of them where they sanded off the "Toyota ########" on the bottom. Really hoping these hold together and fix my breaking up issue!

Old 03-31-2016, 08:32 PM   #6034
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Well, fuck me. Someone please, help me try to make sense of this for me. (sorry for the long read)

So from the very beginning, when I first started my new engine, it ran rough, and had a random misfire at idle. I figured it was the 20 years old oem coil packs with small hairline cracks, so I replaced them with replacement coils from Autozone. The car ran 100% better at idle, and driving around town, however they developed cracks and missed under WOT at full boost. So then I bought brand new OEM Denso coil packs (seen above), and now the car runs like total dick again. Random misfire at idle, runs on 4-5 cylinders when cruising around town etc...So heres what I did tonight:

* Tested my NEW Denso coils, on a known-good 1JZ, car ran its ass off, confirming that the coils themselves are not bad.
* Tested another set of used cracked AutoZone coils on my engine, random misfire at idle went away, and drives around town flawlessly, but still misses under WOT full boost.
* Tried a new ignitor...no change
* Went through each brand new OEM connector, and resqueezed the pins to ensure a full connection...no change.
* Unplugged each coil one at a time while the car was running, each time it changed the idle, and you could hear it make a difference
* Unplugged each injector one at a time while it was running, each time it changed the idle, and you could hear/feel it make a difference
* So both those tests show that its not a specific cylinder that has a problem.

Its a random, constant misfire at any load above 10% throttle. All the way home from the shop it ran on 4-5 cylinders, with a very rare and occasional clearing of its throat and ran normal for split seconds at a time...

What in the fuck could cause it to run rough on 4-5 cylindrs with 2 sets of OEM Denso coils and a constant random misfire, but run 95% better with the 2 different sets of Chinese Autozone coils?
Old 03-31-2016, 10:37 PM   #6035
articzap
Leaky Injector

articzap is an unknown quantity at this point
I would check your grounds and make sure you have enough. Check all of your wiring harness to and from the igniter. Can also look into the crank sensor and make sure it's clean and secured properly.

Just thoughts.
articzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:38 AM   #6036
corkscrew
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
corkscrew is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HypnoFish View Post
I have the xcessive brackets and mounts for engine and trans on my s13. the jz fits under the hood just fine. and i have enough room to run my strut tower brace.
Hmm weird to hear that. My buddy with the xcessive brackets and mounts isn't able to close his hood. He had to use hood spacers
corkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:41 AM   #6037
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZenkiS14 View Post
Well, fuck me. Someone please, help me try to make sense of this for me. (sorry for the long read)

So from the very beginning, when I first started my new engine, it ran rough, and had a random misfire at idle. I figured it was the 20 years old oem coil packs with small hairline cracks, so I replaced them with replacement coils from Autozone. The car ran 100% better at idle, and driving around town, however they developed cracks and missed under WOT at full boost. So then I bought brand new OEM Denso coil packs (seen above), and now the car runs like total dick again. Random misfire at idle, runs on 4-5 cylinders when cruising around town etc...So heres what I did tonight:

* Tested my NEW Denso coils, on a known-good 1JZ, car ran its ass off, confirming that the coils themselves are not bad.
* Tested another set of used cracked AutoZone coils on my engine, random misfire at idle went away, and drives around town flawlessly, but still misses under WOT full boost.
* Tried a new ignitor...no change
* Went through each brand new OEM connector, and resqueezed the pins to ensure a full connection...no change.
* Unplugged each coil one at a time while the car was running, each time it changed the idle, and you could hear it make a difference
* Unplugged each injector one at a time while it was running, each time it changed the idle, and you could hear/feel it make a difference
* So both those tests show that its not a specific cylinder that has a problem.

Its a random, constant misfire at any load above 10% throttle. All the way home from the shop it ran on 4-5 cylinders, with a very rare and occasional clearing of its throat and ran normal for split seconds at a time...

What in the fuck could cause it to run rough on 4-5 cylindrs with 2 sets of OEM Denso coils and a constant random misfire, but run 95% better with the 2 different sets of Chinese Autozone coils?

if I were you, I would go with ls truck coils. they have a much better spark and are cheap to purchase/modify.
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:10 AM   #6038
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Cant run them easily on OEM ECU, and plenty of guys have made 1k+ hp on factory denso coils. I just need to figure out why its not running well on the nicer quality coils...
Old 04-01-2016, 08:11 AM   #6039
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by articzap View Post
I would check your grounds and make sure you have enough. Check all of your wiring harness to and from the igniter. Can also look into the crank sensor and make sure it's clean and secured properly.

Just thoughts.
Yea, I'll try to add or check grounds. But the if the crank sensor was wonky, it would cause the same trouble with both sets of coils, and it doesnt.

Ok, here's a bit more info, maybe we can see if this makes sense to anyone.

The Chinese Autozone coils all ohm out at .8-.9, where as all of the OEM Denso Coils ohm out at 1.0-1.1 Does that make sense to anyone else?
Old 04-01-2016, 09:53 AM   #6040
Sky80
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (17)
Sky80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by corkscrew View Post
Hmm weird to hear that. My buddy with the xcessive brackets and mounts isn't able to close his hood. He had to use hood spacers

Tell your buddy to use thinner rubber mounts with his xcessive brackets. Problem solved.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:01 AM   #6041
Sky80
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (17)
Sky80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Yea, I'll try to add or check grounds. But the if the crank sensor was wonky, it would cause the same trouble with both sets of coils, and it doesnt.

Ok, here's a bit more info, maybe we can see if this makes sense to anyone.

The Chinese Autozone coils all ohm out at .8-.9, where as all of the OEM Denso Coils ohm out at 1.0-1.1 Does that make sense to anyone else?

Did you ohm out your crank sensor and also cam sensor? Check both as they can cause problems like this. Also I know it sucks but make sure all the teeth are on the crank pulley for the crank sensor to detect.

And before you say it - Yes the above I've told you to check in theory should cause only a constant misfire but in real life it doesn't. I've had two separate 2j cars run fine intermittently and then run like shit most of the time just like you said. One was a faulty cam sensor and the other had a broken tooth off the crank pulley.

After that like someone else said I would get out the old volt meter and start checking your wiring.

As for the coils OHM'ing out different, I would not focus too heavily on them as you have already verified on another vehicle that they work just fine correct?
Old 04-01-2016, 10:14 AM   #6042
kalel540
Leaky Injector

kalel540 is an unknown quantity at this point
Like sky80 said and I know you probably checked this already but have you gapped your spark plugs? Mine had something similar and ended up being bad gap on the spark plugs.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2016, 10:22 AM   #6043
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Black R is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Cant run them easily on OEM ECU, and plenty of guys have made 1k+ hp on factory denso coils. I just need to figure out why its not running well on the nicer quality coils...
Is this a MAF or MAP motor?

Possible loose / intermittent connection there?
Old 04-01-2016, 10:45 AM   #6044
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

MAP. No loose connections, we confirmed, went through all the connectors and checked.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:50 AM   #6045
NOLAGG
Zilvia Member

NOLAGG is an unknown quantity at this point
Can we please make a facebook page dedicated to zilvia z swaps?? Faster responses, easier to upload vids and pics....????

Common what do you guys say?
NOLAGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:14 PM   #6046
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Quote:
MAP. No loose connections, we confirmed, went through all the connectors and checked.

What kind of wiring harness do you have?

So far any issues I've ever seen on the 1JZ non-vvti that are like this, came down to the harness needing to be replaced.

Shameless plug, but if you need a harness, I have discount code for Wiring Specialties.

I hope you get this figured out. If you don't mind, how much was the whole set of coils?
Old 04-01-2016, 03:42 PM   #6047
corkscrew
Zilvia Addict

corkscrew is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAGG View Post
Can we please make a facebook page dedicated to zilvia z swaps?? Faster responses, easier to upload vids and pics....????

Common what do you guys say?
Hell yea
10char
corkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:46 PM   #6048
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.E View Post
What kind of wiring harness do you have?

So far any issues I've ever seen on the 1JZ non-vvti that are like this, came down to the harness needing to be replaced.

Shameless plug, but if you need a harness, I have discount code for Wiring Specialties.

I hope you get this figured out. If you don't mind, how much was the whole set of coils?
We did the wiring ourselves, pretty confident in it, cut it all back to bare wiring, traced every wire, and reloomed the whole thing.

Whole set of BNIB OEM Denso coils was $365 from Rock Auto.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:09 PM   #6049
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Well, looked at the ECU, looks like at least 4 of my capacitors shit themselves and need to be replaced...that's encouraging, I'll get it done this weekend. What plugs does everyone run on these engines?

Old 04-01-2016, 05:33 PM   #6050
zbarsuglia
Zilvia Junkie

zbarsuglia is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by bova17 View Post
Got a few things, first off I just got my 2JZGTE VVTI!!! Also I have test fitted the Collins adapter kit and it looks like it will work fine; I am kind of disappointed with the fitment of the plate itself... looks like the holes for the bellhousing are all off by 2 or 3 degrees. I had to also drill some out to get it to fit. Also for anyone running internal slave, the ZSpeed heavy duty CSC will work without a spacer of any sort.

Question:
Anybody with the cd009 have to hammer the firewall to get that huge thing to fit? I am having a tough time getting it into place

YEY:
What shifter relocation are you using? I'm trying to retain stock hole
And when mounted I can see the end of the inspection plate. Only kit I've found that shortens it that much is the cbf mid mount. It mounts right behind the inspection plate. Others like hoke are way too far back. Only thing is the guy at cbf isn't responding about orders for them. So I'm stuck
zbarsuglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:03 PM   #6051
Drink&Drift
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
Drink&Drift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Drink&Drift
does anyone have any info on serpentine tensioners? are the Auto & Manual ones the same?i left the auto one on and deleted the AC, and now went bad and i need a new one ASAP, have a drift event in a week.
Drink&Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:40 PM   #6052
NOLAGG
Zilvia Member

[QUOTE=Drink&Drift;6043415]does anyone have any info on serpentine tensioners? are the Auto & Manual ones the same?i left the auto one on and deleted the AC, and now went bad and i need a new one ASAP, have a drift event in a week.[/

Get the gates from rock auto or advance auto.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:54 PM   #6053
supercompact
Leaky Injector

supercompact is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drink&Drift View Post
does anyone have any info on serpentine tensioners? are the Auto & Manual ones the same?i left the auto one on and deleted the AC, and now went bad and i need a new one ASAP, have a drift event in a week.

They are different. The manual ones have a small shock absorber on them that prevents jumping from the initial shock of a gear change.
supercompact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:19 PM   #6054
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
We did the wiring ourselves, pretty confident in it, cut it all back to bare wiring, traced every wire, and reloomed the whole thing.

Whole set of BNIB OEM Denso coils was $365 from Rock Auto.
Good shit, around here it seems like wiring is always the last thing people check.

Thanks, i didn't even think about looking on rock auto
Old 04-01-2016, 07:21 PM   #6055
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarsuglia View Post
What shifter relocation are you using? I'm trying to retain stock hole
And when mounted I can see the end of the inspection plate. Only kit I've found that shortens it that much is the cbf mid mount. It mounts right behind the inspection plate. Others like hoke are way too far back. Only thing is the guy at cbf isn't responding about orders for them. So I'm stuck
https://www.instagram.com/p/BDmzlORHENm/
Old 04-02-2016, 07:33 AM   #6056
jbjslambert
Zilvia Member

jbjslambert is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I was having a problem with the belt getting tore up at high rpms while drifting. Thought I needed a manual tensioner, thinking it might be stiffer. I put on a gates "automatic" tensioner and the problem went away. So yeah, automatic one works fine
jbjslambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:00 AM   #6057
NOLAGG
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjslambert View Post
I was having a problem with the belt getting tore up at high rpms while drifting. Thought I needed a manual tensioner, thinking it might be stiffer. I put on a gates "automatic" tensioner and the problem went away. So yeah, automatic one works fine

You know that's funny cause I put a tear in my belt(dayco)
Like 700 miles in no drifting out crazy high revving. Just got the continental gator back belt so we'll see what happens.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:33 AM   #6058
Drink&Drift
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
Drink&Drift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Drink&Drift
got the Dayco Automatic one from Pep Boys, i believe its the same one as the gates one. hopefully it helps

i did see Xcessive makes this to prevent the tensioner from moving too much during shifts, anyone using it?

Drink&Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:04 AM   #6059
NOLAGG
Zilvia Member

Quote:
got the Dayco Automatic one from Pep Boys, i believe its the same one as the gates one. hopefully it helps

i did see Xcessive makes this to prevent the tensioner from moving too much during shifts, anyone using it?

What I'd I still have ac?
Old 04-02-2016, 09:20 AM   #6060
jbjslambert
Zilvia Member

jbjslambert is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

That looks like a good fix. If my belt shows signs of tearing again this will be mine. Good ol cheap duralast bought on the way to the track still gettin it. Lol
jbjslambert is offline   Reply With Quote