Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #6031
tauntdevil
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
tauntdevil is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
So if I get this straight, you guys are extending the tie rod ends to make up for not using a spacer that way the tie rod will reach the knuckle correct?

To me, would seem easier to just extend the inner tie rod instead but I am not putting much thought into it.

S14 KA NA two cylinders, 75whp limper
tauntdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2013, 01:07 AM   #6032
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
The the hell S chassis guys insist on running that horribly soft stock FLCA bushing is beyond me. Or maybe they run a urethane bushing which in a lot of ways is even worse.
Unfortunately there just aren't many options out there for this unless you're a fabricator and have the time and resources. If not, having someone put together a kit and weld that up along with new bump stops and adjustable tension rods made for wheel clearance you might as well go with PBM FLCAs.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:19 AM   #6033
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
This is the roll center, suspension pickup, and steering angle modification t...

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_240 View Post
Unfortunately there just aren't many options out there for this unless you're a fabricator and have the time and resources. If not, having someone put together a kit and weld that up along with new bump stops and adjustable tension rods made for wheel clearance you might as well go with PBM FLCAs.

On that note, I heard PSM is coming out with new FLCA's with bent tension rods...

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:50 AM   #6034
pjmrnolife1
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (-1)
pjmrnolife1 is making a name for him/her selfpjmrnolife1 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
http://www.speedhunters.com/2011/02/builds_gt_gt_team_nfs_d_mac_ae86_pt_v/

We should keep things simple, weld new pivot points on the coilover, here's the link and zoom in Builds>> Team Nfs D-mac Ae86 Pt.v | Speedhunters

Last edited by pjmrnolife1; 12-10-2013 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: show the link
pjmrnolife1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #6035
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Thought this was pretty neat (I'm pretty sure that's a new upper strut mount too):

If they had these out earlier I would have had a lot harder time deciding on what parts to buy...

Previously...

Old 12-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #6036
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Thought this was pretty neat (I'm pretty sure that's a new upper strut mount too):

If they had these out earlier I would have had a lot harder time deciding on what parts to buy...
Every time PSM comes out with new stuff, I have the urge to bang my head against a wall since I've got the full susp catalog (most of it's 2010/2011-spec) installed on a car that doesn't run. :/ Looks like I'll be swapping some of the older spec bits onto my S14 and getting the new stuff for my S13, lol.

Random, but my only real complaint/criticism about PSM's LCA (front and rear) is that it's not adjustable while on the car. It'd be amazing if it had a double adjuster like the RUCA/Toe Arm etc. A double adjuster there would allow you do camber control at the LCA and caster in the top hat (independent (mostly) adjustment of each) and keep the wheel at a relatively static location in the wheel well (fore/aft positioning).

Also, I think you're right and that is a new top hat, it looks pretty far out there, so it's either a two piece sliding design or a single piece similar in function to wisefab. As much as I like the idea of having the top hat way out, I'm kind of apprehensive sense it would mean that it would eliminate any alignment adjustment at the top hat (camber or caster) forcing camber adjustment to be done either at the LCA (which can't be adjusted on car) or at the knuckle... Neither of which are all that appealing. Although I guess the idea with the static top hat is that it's position is more or less optimized for maximum angle, so the need to dial in an alignment is probably unnecessary beyond getting the car to drive straight.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #6037
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Yes, that is true about the top hat. One thing I like very much about mine.

Yeah FLCA double adjuster is nice. I think once you have it adjusted though, it's kinda pointless. It's like set and forget once you get off the alignment rack.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #6038
KevinEdgar
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
KevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I'm so glad pbm is offering the bent type to the public, I knew waiting for their new kit would be worth it.

http://milktea-man.com
KevinEdgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #6039
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (79)
DC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
Yes we are testing some parts to make 5-10 degrees more angle. Although if your full suite of current parts have enough angle to do some glorious drifting without ever touching the bump stop, then its really not worth being bummed that the options from this company may be eventually expanding pending some testing.

Our current Pro top plate is camber & caster adjustable so we wont be making a step backwards and make it non-adjustable we are just testing a longer slot.

FLCA double adjuster:
Convenient, but Its more parts between the arm and the car, so we just feel like the single adjuster is stronger in this critical point.
You unbolt the stock M14, twist the rod end as desired and then bolt it back on. After align you may never touch it again. So we think this is a reasonable trade off of time and strength.
How To order: You can order directly from our zilvia advertiser threads. When you add to cart, you get an instant shipping estimate, & the cart will remember all of your items as you move between forum threads and our website www.poweredbymax.net until you remove them or check out. I can also calculate estimates manually for you but the cart's estimates are way faster and more accurate.
Order Inquiry: IM me your real name and paypal address.
Thanks for your business!
DC Dan MAX USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #6040
stephens14sr
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
stephens14sr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Dan MAX USA View Post
Yes we are testing some parts to make 5-10 degrees more angle. Although if your full suite of current parts have enough angle to do some glorious drifting without ever touching the bump stop, then its really not worth being bummed that the options from this company may be eventually expanding pending some testing.

Our current Pro top plate is camber & caster adjustable so we wont be making a step backwards and make it non-adjustable we are just testing a longer slot.

FLCA double adjuster:
Convenient, but Its more parts between the arm and the car, so we just feel like the single adjuster is stronger in this critical point.
You unbolt the stock M14, twist the rod end as desired and then bolt it back on. After align you may never touch it again. So we think this is a reasonable trade off of time and strength.
i hope that kit gets released. im hitting tension rod already with it offset. with a 9.5 -25 and the pro knuckles.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #6041
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

DC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond repute
to be clear, with our PRO knuckle you are hitting your Battle version/SPL FLCA/Tension rod setup and not our MAX FLCA/inboard mounted tension rod combo, Correct?
How To order: You can order directly from our zilvia advertiser threads. When you add to cart, you get an instant shipping estimate, & the cart will remember all of your items as you move between forum threads and our website www.poweredbymax.net until you remove them or check out. I can also calculate estimates manually for you but the cart's estimates are way faster and more accurate.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #6042
Touge_Monster
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
Touge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I was wondering if any of you dudes could help me with this. I'm about to extend my flca 15mm and mod the stock knuckle for roll center correction only (no angle mods). Will my tein inner and outers be okay or will I need to get the Pbm inners?

Thanks!
This thread gave me aids, thank you based god.
Touge_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #6043
stephens14sr
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Dan MAX USA View Post
to be clear, with our PRO knuckle you are hitting your Battle version/SPL FLCA/Tension rod setup and not our MAX FLCA/inboard mounted tension rod combo, Correct?
yes! not your setup. i will be switching to yalls setup here shortly.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #6044
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

17's do fit with the 100mm TDP kit.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #6045
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
FYI: be careful using stock s13/s14/maxima/i30/etc inner tie rods with slip-on tie rod spacers.

there are enough engaging threads for the tie rod to hold on inside the rack during most situations

...but clip your tire on the lead guy's bumper during a tandem run, and it'll rip the threads right out

fortunately the threads inside the rack were fine, so it only took a short run to the parts store for a replacement tie rod (maxima in this case) and i was back out on track.

just saying. be careful. it's probably worth the money to invest in a better spacer style, such as PBM inner tie rods (with the spacer built into the joint, not taking up threads). or if you need longer tie rods than PBM, look into getting a combo of OEM inner tie rods (s14, z32, maxima, whatever suits your needs) with thread-in steering rack spacers (like those offered by GKTech).

Old 12-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #6046
NAIRB
Leaky Injector

NAIRB is an unknown quantity at this point
PBM, what sway bar are you using with the new bent type flca/tension rod combo?
NAIRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #6047
Black240Ct
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
Black240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Black240Ct
OEM Moog inners are the same thread length. I ripped mine out with slip on spacers. Get ones like tein with longer threads or pbm with it already machined. Learned that one a difficult way
Black240Ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #6048
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephens14sr View Post
yes! not your setup. i will be switching to yalls setup here shortly.
Thanks for your business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIRB View Post
PBM, what sway bar are you using with the new bent type flca/tension rod combo?
A narrowed stock bar with custom brackets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black240Ct View Post
OEM Moog inners are the same thread length. I ripped mine out with slip on spacers. Get ones like tein with longer threads or pbm with it already machined. Learned that one a difficult way
Its not just that the Parts Shop MAX inner tie rod has the rackspacer built in, (saving 7mm of thread for the rack engagement) but it also has an additional 7mm of thread for a total of 14mm more thread in the rack than a stock tie rod with a slip on spacer.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #6049
joshchewuhh
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (56)
joshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 56 reviews
Send a message via AIM to joshchewuhh
Okay so couple questions.
Does extending your LCA cause your caster to be all goofy? (extened 15mm after the tension rod)

I put my whole setup together and when I turn im rubbing my fenders like crazy (oem fenders) I still have to get it aligned, but I noticed when I threw everything on my ride height was much lower than before. I did raise it up a bit. Id say my camber is at about -6 or so. It never rubbed before putting all this stuff on.

My setup once more 15mm extended s14 LCA on s13. PBM forged knuckles. 17x9 +12

Im just having all sorts of problems with this setup lmao t-___-t
joshchewuhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #6050
stephens14sr
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshchewuhh View Post
Okay so couple questions.
Does extending your LCA cause your caster to be all goofy? (extened 15mm after the tension rod)

I put my whole setup together and when I turn im rubbing my fenders like crazy (oem fenders) I still have to get it aligned, but I noticed when I threw everything on my ride height was much lower than before. I did raise it up a bit. Id say my camber is at about -6 or so. It never rubbed before putting all this stuff on.

My setup once more 15mm extended s14 LCA on s13. PBM forged knuckles. 17x9 +12

Im just having all sorts of problems with this setup lmao t-___-t
i could be wrong, but i think the proknuckles are 25mm or so drop knuckles as well.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:17 AM   #6051
joshchewuhh
Post Whore!

joshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfection
Ya they do. Does the 25mm correction affect the length of the tension rod since my arms are now parallel?
Old 12-12-2013, 02:21 AM   #6052
Kirstin03Koly

Kirstin03Koly is an unknown quantity at this point
As we know for different people they use different kinds of mobile phone signals. Just as the people around you like your friends, your colleagues, your family members and so on, they may use the different mobile phone signals as now there are various mobile phone signals from different companies and of which the frequency bands are also different such as the CDMA, GSM, DCS, PCS, 3G, 4G LTE and 4G Wimax. So in different conditions and circumstances people are in need of the Cell Phone Blockers that of different frequency bands. But if people are in great need of a mobile phone jammer via which they can decide the jamming frequency bands what kind of device should they choose? Of course, the adjustable Cell Phone Blocker is the best for them in such condition.

Last edited by Kirstin03Koly; 12-16-2013 at 11:13 PM..
Kirstin03Koly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:39 AM   #6053
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

This is the roll center, suspension pickup, and steering angle modification t...

No, the forged knuckles are not "drop knuckles, only roll center correction. More negative camber is what's making your car lower. Yes caster will change now that your arms are closer to parallel.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:55 AM   #6054
az_240
Post Whore!

az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
^beat me to it
Old 12-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #6055
Slenis

Slenis is an unknown quantity at this point
any thoughts on this kit : S-Chassis Front End Suspension Assembly ??
Slenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #6056
joshchewuhh
Post Whore!

Cool so an alignment will correct my issues? Thanks for all the info. Learning as I go
Old 12-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #6057
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshchewuhh View Post
Cool so an alignment will correct my issues? Thanks for all the info. Learning as I go

Yeah an alignment should your issues, you might have to play around a bit to get it right.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #6058
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_240 View Post
There are tons of options, especially now. And a $300 MIG setup is not having to "be a fabricator," and would easily weld on the stuff to put a rod end there.

I just think 240 guys have turned into the community that will do a half-assed job to save a few bucks on something instead of taking the pride to do things well. It's sad, as the cars have some really good points.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #6059
az_240
Post Whore!

^Not arguing that most s-chassis guys aren't cheapasses.... that's proven all the time.
Most have never welded anything in their lives let alone owned any sort of welding setup. I wouldn't advise anyone with little to no experience just go to town on their LCAs and possibly put their lives or others at risk to try to save a few bucks.
So for those that want to do it right but can't fab up their own stuff a decent OEM modified FLCA setup is going to be $$$... might as well save some time/headache and buy proven off the shelf components for about the same price.

Last edited by az_240; 12-12-2013 at 06:35 PM..
Old 12-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #6060
sviellvoicae
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
sviellvoicae will become famous soon enoughsviellvoicae will become famous soon enoughsviellvoicae will become famous soon enoughsviellvoicae will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
It seems I'm running into this uncommon issue as well. My set up is 25mm extended lca's, steering rack moved forward 25mm, pbm forged knuckles, pbm inner tie rods, and moog rod ends. I don't seem to have enough lenght on the rod ends to adjust toe. At least it doesn't seem like enough to be safe. I've researched this set up a lot and never seen this issue. Any ideas? I believe the rack is centered but could that cause it if it's not perfect? Thanks
sviellvoicae is offline   Reply With Quote