Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:05 PM   #571
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
good read thanks... post more pics
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2016, 07:55 PM   #572
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

futures14drift is an unknown quantity at this point
Got new tires been having a blast running about 18 lbs of boost and all of a sudden it dies on me and wont start seems like it is starving for something but it has fuel and spark. anyone have any ideas it cranks over but i can hear that its not right i can post a video tomorrow. thanks if anyone helps out
futures14drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:43 AM   #573
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev71893 View Post
Glad you figured it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks man, but the car just died on me last night and i cant get it to start now... seems like the motor is starving for something ...
Old 03-09-2016, 01:21 PM   #574
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by futures14drift View Post
Thanks man, but the car just died on me last night and i cant get it to start now... seems like the motor is starving for something ...

Starving for fuel or spark? A wideband helps too

mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:09 PM   #575
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev71893 View Post
Glad you figured it out

So was I ... until the motor blew yesterday it shut off and wouldnt start again so i did a quick compression test:
Cylinder 1: 120 PSI
Cylinder 2: 0 PSI
Cylinder 3: 120 PSI
Cylinder 4: 60 PSI

So obviously knowing what was wrong today after school i got to pulling the motor out. 4 hours later and its out:
[IMG]
[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/EXw26K]
[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/F4oPo9]

So i already have a built head and it was a stock block, I am debating if i should rebuild the motor or get a new short block or possibly a full motor. The short block will be built to hold 400-500 hp i have been looking at graveyard custom engines if anyone has anything to say about them please let me know?

http://www.graveyardmotorsports.com/product_p/gm%2098-5130.htm

I am open to all opinions and thoughts on my best option here...

Also have a Doc Race bottom mount with ISR 3871 turbo and the AN fittings and a ISR downpipe too .... for sale if anyone is interested i want to go top mount with a gtx.

Update to come, might change the bay color.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:59 AM   #576
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Anybody have any thoughts on the graveyard motorsports blocks? I am reading to see whats best but id like to get the ball rolling soon so i can get it back in the car as soon as possible.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:36 AM   #577
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Anybody have any thoughts on the graveyard motorsports blocks? I am reading to see whats best but id like to get the ball rolling soon so i can get it back in the car as soon as possible.
So I've never personally heard of their company or seen their products, but at their prices they're cutting some serious corners somewhere and they have very vague product descriptions. Just to compare our Stage 1 SR20det short block runs a little over $4,000 and is rated to a safe 400hp. Sure it's more expensive but if it's all in the details. I'd advise to do things right and not jump on the cheapest price you can find.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:36 PM   #578
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzbrady View Post
So I've never personally heard of their company or seen their products, but at their prices they're cutting some serious corners somewhere and they have very vague product descriptions. Just to compare our Stage 1 SR20det short block runs a little over $4,000 and is rated to a safe 400hp. Sure it's more expensive but if it's all in the details. I'd advise to do things right and not jump on the cheapest price you can find.
Thank you. I was just looking for someone with some knowledge to comment... I am going to make sure i make the right decision here.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:46 PM   #579
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Thank you. I was just looking for someone with some knowledge to comment... I am going to make sure i make the right decision here.
No problem man, if you want some more detailed quotes on parts or help possibly putting a block together email us!
Old 03-10-2016, 02:03 PM   #580
Crazyced
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Crazyced is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Do you have a wideband? Make sure you figure out what went wrong before running a new block. Assuming the other one just gave out may be costly.

I don't like how your MAF is right after a pretty tight bend. This can screw up readings.
Crazyced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:15 PM   #581
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyced View Post
Do you have a wideband? Make sure you figure out what went wrong before running a new block. Assuming the other one just gave out may be costly.

I don't like how your MAF is right after a pretty tight bend. This can screw up readings.
I do have a wideband, and yes very good point.. I will not be buying anything till i know. I don't have a MAF, the car runs on a GM MAP sensor. What is the easiest way to know what exactly went wrong? I can tear the head off the motor and go from there?
Old 03-10-2016, 05:26 PM   #582
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
I do have a wideband, and yes very good point.. I will not be buying anything till i know. I don't have a MAF, the car runs on a GM MAP sensor. What is the easiest way to know what exactly went wrong? I can tear the head off the motor and go from there?
Well, no or low compression screams that it's a ring issue in the bottom end. So regardless you'll have to pull the head to check that out. And once you tear everything down and inspect it you'll know what you have to rebuild with.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:28 PM   #583
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Well, no or low compression screams that it's a ring issue in the bottom end. So regardless you'll have to pull the head to check that out. And once you tear everything down and inspect it you'll know what you have to rebuild with.
If I had the make a very broad guess and go on the assumption that he car was running 100% before it blew I'd say that you cracked a ring land from your rings not being gapped enough for the boost that you were running.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:39 PM   #584
vJilly
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
vJilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Hmmm. it blowing up because of 18psi doesnt sound right. I can think of 4 locals off the top of my head that run their SR, on 18 with a 3871/2871r would look more into the data log of aem and see if you spiked or something like that. could also be a tune issue. ton of locals use RS Enthalpy ECU, including myself and its great.
vJilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:47 PM   #585
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vJilly View Post
Hmmm. it blowing up because of 18psi doesnt sound right. I can think of 4 locals off the top of my head that run their SR, on 18 with a 3871/2871r would look more into the data log of aem and see if you spiked or something like that. could also be a tune issue. ton of locals use RS Enthalpy ECU, including myself and its great.
I'm just going off of the assumptions that the short block is stock (correct me if I'm wrong) and in my opinion the stock ring gap is too small for anything around 20psi, especially if you're going to run it hard and have the ring packs heat up and possibly touch which causes them to break hence why you have wider ring gap on race motors. We have to remember that these parts are 20+ years old and things wear out, like the small brittle ring lands on the oem cast pistons. All in all what I'm trying to say is that what's probably broken and causing the loss of compression is this, the cause would be in data, or just could be old parts being passed their prime. Regardless a good direction to go would be tearing the block down and seeing if the core block is usable. From there you can decide to try a hone, sleeving your block, or going all out and buying a new one.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:53 PM   #586
vJilly
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
I'm just going off of the assumptions that the short block is stock (correct me if I'm wrong) and in my opinion the stock ring gap is too small for anything around 20psi, especially if you're going to run it hard and have the ring packs heat up and possibly touch which causes them to break hence why you have wider ring gap on race motors. We have to remember that these parts are 20+ years old and things wear out, like the small brittle ring lands on the oem cast pistons. All in all what I'm trying to say is that what's probably broken and causing the loss of compression is this, the cause would be in data, or just could be old parts being passed their prime. Regardless a good direction to go would be tearing the block down and seeing if the core block is usable. From there you can decide to try a hone, sleeving your block, or going all out and buying a new one.
I see what you're saying and completely agree to an extent. But maintenance and also proper cooling could come into play. all in all we wont know what truly happened till he rips it apart or whatever. I can think of one guy who ran his SR at 400hp for 4 years beating the shit out of it and never had issues. I guess it depends on how much of a unicorn you get. nonetheless it sucks for em, and can just only hope it doesnt happen to me cause i plan to run a 18psi haha
Old 03-10-2016, 06:57 PM   #587
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vJilly View Post
I see what you're saying and completely agree to an extent. But maintenance and also proper cooling could come into play. all in all we wont know what truly happened till he rips it apart or whatever. I can think of one guy who ran his SR at 400hp for 4 years beating the shit out of it and never had issues. I guess it depends on how much of a unicorn you get. nonetheless it sucks for em, and can just only hope it doesnt happen to me cause i plan to run a 18psi haha
I totally agree on the maintenance point, that's 10/10 the reason my last SR blew up. An engine is only as good as its maintained. And as for as the unicorn statement, it's also totally true I've seen stockies make 500hp and I've seen plenty die at 250hp, that's why I decided to just go out and do forged internals on my build haha.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:27 PM   #588
vJilly
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
I totally agree on the maintenance point, that's 10/10 the reason my last SR blew up. An engine is only as good as its maintained. And as for as the unicorn statement, it's also totally true I've seen stockies make 500hp and I've seen plenty die at 250hp, that's why I decided to just go out and do forged internals on my build haha.
I've decided if my sr makes it more than 2 years of it being raped daily im gonna forge it and do a topmount... otherwise its JZ time, im a ka-t guy but bought my SR for dumb cheap.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:33 PM   #589
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Stock block yes, built head... I just got the valve cover off now. Granite State Dyno and Tune in NH tuned the car and installed 2 rocker arms in like July.... The same rocker arms that they replaced have broken once again. I feel like there was also something wrong with the tune... But now i am going to take the head off and take a look at the block. I really still don't know if i should take this motor to a machine shop or buy a new block and fix the head or whatever.. If anyone with some knowledge has any ideas i'm listening. Right now i have a ISIS RS3871 and i can still keep that but if i can sell that with the DOC Race manifold i will go top mount and run a GTX... I will upload pics when i get home from the shop.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:03 PM   #590
gbaby2089
Zilvia Addict

gbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfection
Good gosh, the blind leading the blind here.
gbaby2089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:13 PM   #591
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby2089 View Post
Good gosh, the blind leading the blind here.
Well if thats all you have to say why bother...
Old 03-10-2016, 08:17 PM   #592
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Ripped the main harness and almost everything else out of the bay to change up the color while i can.
[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/F6F3ZJ]

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/EFpg79]

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/EXuKdW]

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/EbgAjb]

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/EFpfdf]

Major key right here
[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/EbAYKp]
Old 03-11-2016, 07:14 AM   #593
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Stock block yes, built head... I just got the valve cover off now. Granite State Dyno and Tune in NH tuned the car and installed 2 rocker arms in like July.... The same rocker arms that they replaced have broken once again. I feel like there was also something wrong with the tune... But now i am going to take the head off and take a look at the block. I really still don't know if i should take this motor to a machine shop or buy a new block and fix the head or whatever.. If anyone with some knowledge has any ideas i'm listening. Right now i have a ISIS RS3871 and i can still keep that but if i can sell that with the DOC Race manifold i will go top mount and run a GTX... I will upload pics when i get home from the shop.
If you're consistently snapping rocker arms it sound likes whoever built your head didn't check to see if they were shimmed level. That or you rev the piss out of it. If I were in your shoes I'd ditch the rocker stoppers you're running for at least a dual guide setup, this way your rockers will sit level and be able to just throw off if something happens instead of being stuck on the valves possibly hanging them open. We run the dual guide conversion is Kelsey Rowlings engine in case you wanted to see it working in practice, not just theory. As for deciding on buying a new block, don't pull any triggers until you see the condition of your internals.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:49 AM   #594
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Making some good progress friday and saturday night working on the car. I am going to have the motor rebuilt at Precision Machine and Balance in NH, so ive been stripping it down getting ready to send it there. I am going to take off the rocker arm stoppers for this next build for sure and lower the rev limiter a little bit. I am going to try to get a Garrett gtx turbo but i'd like to go top mount too so only if i can sell my bottom mount doc race and the ISR 3871.. here are some pics.

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/FbRuuG]

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/EgMtG2]

Been sanding the bay too.. i plan to respray it a different color while i have the time. I am also looking into Chasebays brake boost eliminator kit...

Sanding with 180 grit then 220 to 400 for primer.
[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/FbRuCs]

Also got a chance to bring my front bumper into my school to fix it during shop week. Im a senior now and will be graduating soon but luckily got to do this fiberglass work with my teacher. Will have finished pics monday/tuesday.
[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/FbRweo]

Also never posted much of my tools heres a nice wrench drawer picture i had.
[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/ELzMiG]
Old 03-13-2016, 01:09 AM   #595
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Picture of me on my Yamaha R6 too i thought i should share.. If anyone follows me on instagram theres lots of bike pics and videos but now i get to post cool pics of having the motor out and stuff too lol

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/EJ4ThU]
Old 03-16-2016, 11:25 AM   #596
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzsteveo View Post
ill be here in a few months waiting for the partout when he drifts it lol.

if you really just wanted to drift, you wasted all this time and money. its okay to buy the SR but you should of started drifting with the KA until it blew up. you don't need a license to drift. kits, paint, all this other crap is unnecessary.

all you need was to weld your diff and get spares. that's it. now youll be starting on a platform you have no idea how it handles because its to advance for a beginner and all I see and many other members on here is that you will struggle with getting it to drift.
Still waiting for that partout huh
Old 03-16-2016, 02:17 PM   #597
GojiraCometh

GojiraCometh is an unknown quantity at this point
Good for you man, awesome job so far. When I was 16 I bought my first 240sx and riced it up and learned everything on my own as I went, and you know what... do what you want, don't listen to all these expert d1 drift champions on here, chances are more than 50% of them were hardcore ricers back in the day, so either way you look at it you have a head start on them there.

With that said, you gotta stop doing dangerous ish on the motorcycles homie. One slip up is all it takes and bam... brains all over the road.
GojiraCometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:39 AM   #598
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Got the motor dropped off at the machine shop and out of the way. Been working on the engine bay some more, removed the brake booster, windshield wiper motor, all the brake lines, and i have removed the brackets for the brake line to the caliper because i need to do some rust repair on both sides where the brake lines meet. Going to take care of this rust before it gets worse because its not all that bad yet.

I will post more pictures tonight but im in school and cant access flickr.
Getting ready to prime the bare metal spots in the bay and then i can spray basecoat. My Collision repair skills have improved quite a lot and it will show in this paint job.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:11 AM   #599
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Been doing some rust repair getting ready to paint the bay, and also went to my local supplier to get some paint to spray.

Quick template i made to get it right.
[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/EuYunR]

[IMG]20160318_215017 by [email protected], on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/EZYoU9]

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/FgRQQh]
[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/Fj9bC8]
[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/FswPf8]

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/EuYvDt]
Some of the stuff i grabbed today. Prepsol, basecoat, reducer, clearcoat, and a high build primer for some bare metal spots. Within the next year or so i am going to respray the outside of the car myself.. need to do some body work on it that i should have before i got it sprayed at Maaco.
[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/EuYvhM]

Last edited by futures14drift; 03-19-2016 at 11:30 PM..
Old 03-19-2016, 11:32 PM   #600
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Tonight i undercoated both wheel wells, and painted the brake lines and clutch line black while i had them out. Tomorrow im going to hit the bay with 400 grit and also paint the brake booster. I dont know if i should re wrap the whole thing in gold heat tape or not.. opinions are welcome.

Just waiting on my spray gun in the mail after this and i can start reassembling the engine bay accessories then i will just be waiting on the motor to drop it back in and start the break in process. Also need to do a few wheel bearings before then.
Thanks for reading will have pics tomorrow.