Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #571
ditchs14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
ditchs14 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
its supposed to be FWD from what i read on motor trend
ditchs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #572
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchs14 View Post
its supposed to be FWD from what i read on motor trend
So far that's the word.

http://www.torquenews.com/1084/new-n...e-fr-s-and-brz

Nissan Working on Mini-Z to target FR-S/BRZ - Motor Trend

Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #573
simmode1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Whew... I was almost worried for a moment until I read this:
Quote:
“unique sports car for drivers in emerging markets leading active lifestyles with an interest in motorsport.”
IE - They ain't gonna be bringing that hunk of shit to the US. Probably.
simmode1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #574
markfitz14

markfitz14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverarrow27 View Post
I'd still buy the s15 over the FRS. S15 just looks wayyyyy sexier.
I have to say the FRS has nice curvy lines and looks like a modern car.
The S13,14,15 are more square lines and boxy looking.
I would love an FRS to death if i could afford one. I think 25k is way more than any average person can afford such as myself. I am looking to buy a new car and plan on spending 10k and that is really stretching my budget as is.
markfitz14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #575
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by markfitz14 View Post
I have to say the FRS has nice curvy lines and looks like a modern car.
The S13,14,15 are more square lines and boxy looking.
I would love an FRS to death if i could afford one. I think 25k is way more than any average person can afford such as myself. I am looking to buy a new car and plan on spending 10k and that is really stretching my budget as is.
What fucking brand new car can you buy for $10k? A Versa and a few other shit boxes. You certainly can't buy a car with soul or sportiness.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #576
markfitz14

Quote:
Originally Posted by exitspeed View Post
What fucking brand new car can you buy for $10k? A Versa and a few other shit boxes. You certainly can't buy a car with soul or sportiness.
Sorry maybe i should have been more clear. I am obviously looking at used cars. Such as a 350z or RX7 or swapped S chassis done nice.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #577
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Quote:
I think 25k is way more than any average person can afford such as myself.
Are you sure you're the average person? I think $25k is super affordable for average man earning the median US income of about $40k+/year. I don't make quite $40k, but even I could afford an FRS or GC 2.0T if I weren't financially supporting disabled family members. If you are making in the $20K range, you are NOT average.

Quote:
Sorry maybe i should have been more clear. I am obviously looking at used cars. Such as a 350z or RX7 or swapped S chassis done nice.
Since I AM supporting two different households, I restricting myself to the same car market you are. An early 350Z would be just fine for my needs and would easily embarrass any non-boosted FRS/BRZ anyplace I'm likely to be driving all the while being more reliable than an RX7 or swapped S-chassis.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #578
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Quote:
Ok, that makes more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
Are you sure you're the average person? I think $25k is super affordable for average man earning the median US income of about $40k+/year. I don't make quite $40k, but even I could afford an FRS or GC 2.0T if I weren't financially supporting disabled family members. If you are making in the $20K range, you are NOT average.
Agreed. Even with two small children I could afford to buy this car on top of already owning an 09 Murano. It's just not practical for me at the moment. Now if they do a small sedan (or better yet, a WAGON(which will never happen)!!)on that same platform as rumors suggest, I'm in.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #579
Future240
Future Moderator

Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
In a few years it will be a tough choice for me between the BRZ and 1st Gen Genesis coupe.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #580
markfitz14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Why does everyone go Gaga over the BRZ and not the FRS? Subaru has done well their their marketing.

A true "240sx" successor would be a car that sells extremely well (in large volumes) but then a few years latter prices drop to the floor. I don't see the FRZ selling in great volumes or even sustaining multiple generations (I hope they do however).

The 350z is right now the "new 240sx", there are a million out there and you can get one for 10k. You'd have to spend at least 10k to get a 240sx to perform like a Z33.

FRZ is $25k, while its a great car, is it $15k greater than my Z? Is it worth $500 a month to me? Not really, and most 240sx owners are bigger broke asses then even me.
Me and this dude are thinking alike. I saw 3 Z's on just today. Having tons of new 350 being sold make them really cheaply available as a used car in the years to come.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:07 PM   #581
tqstarburst
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
tqstarburst is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
tqstarburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:34 PM   #582
LoneStarSilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
LoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
That lip kit looks silly as hell, but I'm digging the massive overs and meaty tires. He's got the new Star Specs, are those things available yet for us common folk?
Old 09-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #583
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Median US Income is $26,364

Average House Hold is $63,091

Average Personal $41,663

$41k is about $2,400 after tax.

$650 (loan, tax, insurance) a month for a FRZ is a big chunk of change.

Average food cost for males 20-40 is $297 a month.

$180 gasoline (28mpg, $4 gallon, 15k a year).

Cellphone $100 ( who doesn't have one?)

Now you're left with $1,200 a month...

Rent/Mortgage, Electric, TV, Heat (gas), and all the bills that come with life...
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #584
markfitz14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Median US Income is $26,364

Average House Hold is $63,091

Average Personal $41,663

$41k is about $2,400 after tax.

$650 (loan, tax, insurance) a month for a FRZ is a big chunk of change.

Average food cost for males 20-40 is $297 a month.

$180 gasoline (28mpg, $4 gallon, 15k a year).

Cellphone $100 ( who doesn't have one?)

Now you're left with $1,200 a month...

Rent/Mortgage, Electric, TV, Heat (gas), and all the bills that come with life...
Thank you for helping me with what I was trying to say. Average is to scewed bc of the 1%ers that make billions. Median is more accurate. Most people I chill with couldn't afford $650 a month on a car. I like the FRS and would buy one and drive the shit out of it. Well some day when there are some used ones on the market I think a lot of people who drove S13 and S14 will be buying them.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #585
VROOOM
Post Whore!

VROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfection
you guys do realize that a 1998 240sx LE was the same price in 1998 as a new FRS is today.
VROOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #586
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by VROOOM View Post
you guys do realize that a 1998 240sx LE was the same price in 1998 as a new FRS is today.
And that shit had 71hp. lol
Old 09-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #587
markfitz14

Quote:
Originally Posted by VROOOM View Post
And if I wasn't 12 then I prbly would have been buying a 1975 Datson or something haha
Old 09-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #588
airhead
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (32)
airhead is making a name for him/her selfairhead is making a name for him/her selfairhead is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Im really tempted to get one of these thangs soon.

I cant wait for nissan any longer. WTF is a mini-z??
They have came out with some funky designs lately
Old 09-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #589
Kingbaby
Zilvia Junkie

Kingbaby is an unknown quantity at this point
used 07 Z will put a smile on your face
#0191 "Lin'da" 2AMR>2AMR>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
That's pretty cool. Never sell it, you'll regret it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisastickup View Post
I donut see an FC on this page, man
Kingbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #590
simmode1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbaby View Post
used 07 Z will put a smile on your face
I guessing any year Z33 will put a smile on my face compared to the old heaps I'm used to driving. The problems ppl always mention about the early Z's are almost laughable compared to typical S-chassis shit.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #591
LoneStarSilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

LoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think I could own a Z33 for the same reason I sold my S14, the community was really starting to turn quite......Honda-ish.

I know this is way out of left field, but since we're talking about cars putting a smile on your face, I've been looking at this lately with much lust.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #592
simmode1
Post Whore!

^^^Those things are all over the place in Austin. But I like RWD too much to look at that car seriously.

I know what you mean about the Z33 scene, so I'm since I'm looking at RWD cars in the $10k to $14k range, options are limited. The Z's power and torque makes it easy to see why its so popular in that price range. I'd much rather take a BMW Z4 3.0is, but they're soooo hard to find with manual transmissions. A 330cic might be an ok compromise.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #593
upsdude
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
upsdude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
get a used e36/e46 m3
upsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #594
simmode1
Post Whore!

^^^E36's are out of the question. Too old for me now. E46 M3 has the same problem as the Z4's... Hard to find in manual and a tad above budget. Fuck that SMG shit. But if I do find a manual E46 M3, I wouldn't mind tighten the belt a bit to snag it as long as it was too far from my budget.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #595
LoneStarSilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
^^^Those things are all over the place in Austin. But I like RWD too much to look at that car seriously.

I know what you mean about the Z33 scene, so I'm since I'm looking at RWD cars in the $10k to $14k range, options are limited. The Z's power and torque makes it easy to see why its so popular in that price range. I'd much rather take a BMW Z4 3.0is, but they're soooo hard to find with manual transmissions. A 330cic might be an ok compromise.
My situation is little different ofcourse, I still have my S30. Realistically I need a low cost, fun daily that won't drain my funds away from the S30 resto-mod. All the reviews I've seen of that thing seems like it's a ton of fun in small package. I need a test drive.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #596
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
^^^E36's are out of the question. Too old for me now. E46 M3 has the same problem as the Z4's... Hard to find in manual and a tad above budget. Fuck that SMG shit. But if I do find a manual E46 M3, I wouldn't mind tighten the belt a bit to snag it as long as it was too far from my budget.
Try looking on the Internet. There is a rumor that there is a M3 manual for sale...
Old 09-22-2012, 07:19 AM   #597
simmode1
Post Whore!

^^^Lol... This guy. Been there. Done that. Not willing to conduct a search too far outside of my area as I am not gonna spend that kinda of $ and be rushed looking over an out of town vehicle and site unseen is out of the question.

An E46 M3 sure would be nice, but it's pricing starts really just barely beyond what I wanna spend anyway. I'm not trying to stretch my resources that thin. Something like an early 350Z, G35 coupe, Z4 or 330ci, won't be the fastest/most refined thing around but I'm pretty sure I'm be happier than I an with my current car plus my monthly note will be more manageable.

350Z really is just the newest, cheapest, most powerful, low maintanance car you can buy on a budget, IMO. Hard to turn that away. I mean... there's the S2000 too... but I want some torque.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #598
Future240
Future Moderator

My question to all the 350Z owners what do you mean when you inevitably get used to the power and want more? Research tells me the VQ is not a boost happy engine with that 11:1 compression and fully built engines cost $$$$ and maybe subject to piston slap.

Then again I could be wrong as I don't own one. Anyone care to clarify?
Old 09-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #599
nujabe
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
nujabe can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
a good friend of mine is has one boosted and built with two 3071r.. thing puts down crazy numbers on shit 91.. and his is a de not a hr motor. if built they can do 1000 on e85 or c16. funny he was driving around with a seized gt28rs was his old set up thing was still destroying every thing. but his motor is built so.. stock de motors cant really do past 400 so around 5-8 psi if i recall.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #600
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
My question to all the 350Z owners what do you mean when you inevitably get used to the power and want more? Research tells me the VQ is not a boost happy engine with that 11:1 compression and fully built engines cost $$$$ and maybe subject to piston slap.

Then again I could be wrong as I don't own one. Anyone care to clarify?
350Z by todays standards is slow. (So is a FRZ however). The Z33 High-Rev (twin throttle bodies) is actually a quick car, 13 flat stock, but the DE and Rev-Up are Camry fast. (So is the FRZ).

The problem with the Z is the cramped engine bay. This means no budget turbo kits. You are looking at a min. of $4,500 or so and a total PITA install. There are some mid and remote mount turbo kits.

Engine rods let go at anything over 450whp... which is epic lame. Compression Ratio is not your enemy. Weak Rods are. So get some pistons, rods and a good head-gasket and your now ready for 700whp. This puts you at $6,500 for your build. But at this point your going to need a clutch, and all sorts of other nonsense, fuel, gauges - blah blah and by the time your done you are pushing $10,000 in mods and only have 700whp.

Thus is the problem. If you want Big-Power, get a Muscle Car... if you want "easy" power, it's still hard to beat the WRX/STI and Evo for just a quick reflash or turbo swap. If you want styling and crisp handeling, get a Porsche.

Otherwise the Z is a stylish and a solid car. More power than a S2K or RX8, generally more "nimble" then a Mustang and much cheaper than a Porsche. I don't see the FRZ being better in any manner to justify the extra $10-15k at this time.

If I was buying another sports car however it would be a C6 (budge warrior), Porsche (sophisticated, driving feel) or 5.0 Mustang (raw power, practical) however.