Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-19-2014, 08:33 AM   #31
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post

S13 was a sub 20k car

95 SC sticker (which I have) was about 45k

Dollar for dollar, you get a lot more car in the used market... but yeah, its a totally different car. S13 is a sporty garbage can. SC is a luxurious garbage can.
Luxury cars always depreciate like rocks. Part of the reason is cost of up keep (repairs, fuel economy) and the other problem is "luxury".

What exactly is "luxurious" about a SC300 today?

It's crappy worn, unsupportive "leather" seats? Automatic climate controls? Power windows standard? Optional CD changer?
Passenger front airbag?

A new Ford Focus is a more "luxurious" car in terms of technology, options and safety.
Hell, NVH may even be lower on the Focus.

Quote:
I dont think its out of the ordinary. Besides, can you find me ONE performance vehicle that gets good fuel economy? Fuel economy and performance dont go hand in hand. And please, dont post any bullshit battery-box hybrid. People with their unrealistic views of how hybrids are "free mpg" fall flat when it comes time to change/service their .

It's the 90's so it's all good, but let's be honest, the RB/JZ are garbage by today's standards. Heavy, expensive, gas guzzling and dirty.

The standard today is 20/30mpg under the modern test procedures. Many 90's cars lose up to 5mpg under these new standards.

The Z4 gets 34mpg and I believe the new TT will be up there as well. Corvette, Cayman and 911 all can reach 30mpg.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #32
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
What exactly is "luxurious" about a SC300 today?
It's crappy worn, unsupportive "leather" seats? Automatic climate controls? Power windows standard? Optional CD changer?
Passenger front airbag?
WHAT IS LUXURIOUS?!?! Well friend, let me tell you...
When you purchase a Lexus, a car of high caliber, you immediately are given membership on one of the most classy forums around: CLUB LEXUS. Even the name is inviting and makes you feel like you're getting VIP treatment. Not only do you get bottle service, but you get to socialize with folks like Obeewon.

The plush leather interior, the automatic climate control, and ah yes, the projector halogen headlights - all just a touch of modern amenities. Even the seats electronically slide forward when you tilt them to allow easy access to the rear seats, while you sit back and have some champagne with Paris and Kim.

The engine is also a beautiful piece of artwork, with an intake manifold that swoops over the valve cover. It restricts access to things like some, but not all, spark plugs - because honestly, only the poor would need to service an engine.

Bullshit aside, the only good thing going for it is the chassis being tank-like. Metal is heavy duty, door hinges are from a bank vault, and a lot is shared with the JZA80. I recently chucked the leather seats and installed Supra seats and reupholstered them with leather/alcantara. But yeah, these cars are old. But at least they are not tin-cans like many of todays cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
The standard today is 20/30mpg under the modern test procedures. Many 90's cars lose up to 5mpg under these new standards.
When motorweek reviewed the LFA, I thought it was interesting that the car got around 18mpg. Dunno, I thought it would be more efficient.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #33
l adam l
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
l adam l is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:

I dont think its out of the ordinary. Besides, can you find me ONE performance vehicle that gets good fuel economy? Fuel economy and performance dont go hand in hand.
99 Camara ss with ls1 and t56 got 27mpgs on the highway...not bad for a '90s' v8?
l adam l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:42 AM   #34
Bushido
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Cool thread, I like the nostalgic feelings here.

Here's one from Road and Track:

http://www.240sx.org/links/magazine/r&tmag/index.html

and one from Car and Driver:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ed-test-review
Old 11-19-2014, 12:09 PM   #35
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
When you purchase a Lexus, a car of high caliber, you immediately are given membership on one of the most classy forums around: CLUB LEXUS. Even the name is inviting and makes you feel like you're getting VIP treatment. Not only do you get bottle service, but you get to socialize with folks like Obeewon.
LOL Clublexus makes my face hurt. I didn't know you were on there Mike? What's your S/N?

Also Lexus affords you the luxury of electronic connectors that never disconnect. And if they do they slice your fingers off and break.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:25 PM   #36
Bushido
Post Whore!

Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
Old 11-23-2014, 06:27 PM   #37
Bushido
Post Whore!

Old 11-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #38
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Is that some sort OEM lip or just a funny angle?
Old 11-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #39
Bullitt_180sx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
Bullitt_180sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5280VertDET View Post
Is that some sort OEM lip or just a funny angle?
It's just the OEM chuki lip.
Bullitt_180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:46 PM   #40
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt_180sx View Post
It's just the OEM chuki lip.
Yea, I was just looking at it wrong. The glossyness of the bumper made it kinda look like a formed lip; similar to PDM or the "East Bear" lips...

Old 11-26-2014, 04:04 AM   #41
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Quote:

The plush leather interior, the automatic climate control, and ah yes, the projector halogen headlights - all just a touch of modern amenities. Even the seats electronically slide forward when you tilt them to allow easy access to the rear seats, while you sit back and have some champagne with Paris and Kim.

The engine is also a beautiful piece of artwork, with an intake manifold that swoops over the valve cover. It restricts access to things like some, but not all, spark plugs - because honestly, only the poor would need to service an engine.

Bullshit aside, the only good thing going for it is the chassis being tank-like. Metal is heavy duty, door hinges are from a bank vault, and a lot is shared with the JZA80. I recently chucked the leather seats and installed Supra seats and reupholstered them with leather/alcantara. But yeah, these cars are old. But at least they are not tin-cans like many of todays cars.

When motorweek reviewed the LFA, I thought it was interesting that the car got around 18mpg. Dunno, I thought it would be more efficient.

yes you swap in some mk4 supra seats and get some new door panels and you have something more modern. I get much better gas mileage in my s13-rb25 than in my 1jz sc400. prob because the lexus weighs 1k more.
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:08 AM   #42
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
wow, remember when 155hp was a big deal? seems like only yesterday. and in terms of the ls1, that is the only and I mean ONLY thing that is saving gm or keeping them afloat. at least the other Japanese companies can make different engines and variations of them.

back in the 90's yes they used the same engines in different models. but since 98 the only thing worth a damn is the ls-engine.

I know if it's not broken don't fix it. but it shows just how ADVANCED the American companies are when it comes to new car tech. now FINALLY a new lt-engine after how many decades?
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:51 AM   #43
O$mo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
O$mo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:

I need a Lexus now. My life's value has significantly dropped due to not owning a Lexus

Old 11-26-2014, 07:12 AM   #44
AFSil80
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
AFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AFSil80 Send a message via MSN to AFSil80
Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ0972wohFs

They added the JZA80 Supra Turbo the other day.

Shit. 105' stopping distance. Not bad for a pig of a car.

When comparing 90s cars, 350Z does not seem to be a worthy successor to the Z32-TT.

370Z... maybe. Dunno.
When the MKIV Supra Turbo made it's debut, it took the record for Car&Driver's braking distance...and it held that title until the Carrera GT came around.

Yes, the Porsche supercar.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #45
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
This blew my mind the other day....

"With its middle finger raised to physics, the C7 also stopped from 60 mph in only 93 feet, which is the shortest stopping distance we've ever measured."

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/cor...road-test.html
Old 06-11-2015, 04:41 PM   #46
ixfxi
Post Whore!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_1fDRLG-yU

enjoy

btw, i always love reading idiotic comments on youtube (almost as bad as modern zilvia)

" gvi341984 3 days ago
Very expensive for a medicore car "

$19,535 is expensive? psssshahahah
Old 06-11-2015, 05:09 PM   #47
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
$19,535 is expensive? psssshahahah
remember, the younger generations pretty much have no financial sense in how to save money, work multiple jobs or financially plan for their futures due to instant gratification... because unless theres an app for it, TLDR!

the only 240s theyve ever know are the beat up pieces of shit that litter forums and facebook because drifting has pretty much ruined these cars

personally i cant wait to pay $18-$20k for an S15 in 10 years time that has been meticulously maintained thru its life span and never beaten on as the Japanese still have a sense of pride and respect for their cars (and their little chunk of the world in general).

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:36 PM   #48
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
personally i cant wait to pay $18-$20k for an S15 in 10 years time that has been meticulously maintained thru its life span and never beaten on as the Japanese still have a sense of pride and respect for their cars (and their little chunk of the world in general).
apparently, you dont look at the used cars on the yahoo auctions much, do you?

i am not fully disagreeing with what you are saying, but i have looked at a lot of the used cars available in japan and there is an equal amount of abused/beatup/poorly modified S-chassis vehicles JUST like here in the US. Now I am not saying that what you are saying does not exist, but I also do not think Japan is some land of utopia where S-chassis are cared for and loved.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:49 PM   #49
ixfxi
Post Whore!

some more funny comments, if only i could respond (since the google+ integration, I opt'ed out)

" Ashley Wolf 2 days ago
Great car ruined by a TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE engine (the KA24DE) "

^^^ let this be proof that women, or maybe "most women," have no fucking clue what they are talking about.

the DOHC is sooooooooo much better than the SOHC. And there are sooooooo many WORSE engines out there, the KA is not great - but its surely not terrible.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:46 PM   #50
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
ka series engine = worst motor ever to put in the 240

nissan shouldve stuck to their original plan and put the CA18det in the S13 when they brought it over... fucking dumb asses

Old 06-12-2015, 07:48 AM   #51
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Turbo tax stopped them. Not the product made by Intuit.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:46 AM   #52
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Actually, lack of the GTR in the US stopped them.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:58 AM   #53
omgRWDgoodness!
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (48)
omgRWDgoodness! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
"Built for the Human Race"...talk about a tagline. Not just "Driven" or whatever lame shit they're using now.

Quote:
^^^ let this be proof that women, or maybe "most women," have no fucking clue what they are talking about.
This must be one of those female impersonators akin to the days of online chatrooms, we all know there's no such thing as women on the internet.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:03 AM   #54
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

kashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-known
But would the silvia culture here have been the same if they had brought the ca18det and the gtr to america? I don't think so, while there are plenty of people who are shitty with their cars here, I would argue that the fact that the cars are shitty here that makes the good ones more respectable. For instance if every car had come with the correct good motors (ca18/sr20) We would not mark them as unique and for properly built cars, merely because they had those motors already, and hence are an easy setup. Here i feel like people who have nice cars actually have to do a lot more work, and know more because they have to correct all the lameness.
In japan you can just go an buy an sr20 silvia do a few things, and your car is "nice", here you have to resurrect your car from lame fanboyness, then swap in a rebuilt junkyard motor from japan, then give it all the nice japan aero then repaint then balance everything out etc.

And yes, its probably for the best that they never brought gtr's here, cuz then you would see swaggot gtr's and LS swapped gtr's and all matters of hell.
kashira kureijii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:25 AM   #55
simmode1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
^^^That's an interesting point. Thats the same reason the MR2 turbo doesn't get more respect/attention. It was already offered with a good engine here. No need to reinvent the wheel like in the early S-chassis days, so theres no hype. It boggles my mind why more ppl don't go batshit crazy over a legit 2 seater, mid-engined, JDM turbo car that you can buy for as low as $4500 like the MR2 turbo. Not to mention that sexy ass optional T-top.....
Old 06-12-2015, 11:28 AM   #56
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
ka series engine = worst motor ever to put in the 240

nissan shouldve stuck to their original plan and put the CA18det in the S13 when they brought it over... fucking dumb asses
you have no idea what you are talking about

the KA made perfect sense based on the demographic and terrain that these cars are used in: long flat roads, welcome to america, land of torque. americans have no interest in wind up high RPM motors. you guys forget that we would not get ONLY the turbo engines, what about the non turbo engines? our cars *were* sold with NA engines, remember? You seriously think Americans would want a NA 1.8 or NA 2.0 over a torquey 2.4? Besides, the SOHC was only sold for 2 years before offering the much better DOHC engine.

you guys also forget about the price difference between the S-chassis and Z32. Towards the end, the Z32TT was significantly more expensive. Even if you compare it to todays Z34, the last year TT models sold for what 55k? Thats pricey. How much would a Skyline sell for in the States, and what trims would be available? Again, you guys forget that not all Skylines were GTR. I can only imagine how many people would want a 4-door Skyline here in the US.

I am just saying, all of this made perfect sense AT THE TIME. Given the circumstances that NISSAN was on the path of financial ruin back then.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:32 AM   #57
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

kashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
^^^That's an interesting point. Thats the same reason the MR2 turbo doesn't get more respect/attention. It was already offered with a good engine here. No need to reinvent the wheel like in the early S-chassis days, so theres no hype. It boggles my mind why more ppl don't go batshit crazy over a legit 2 seater, mid-engined, JDM turbo car that you can buy for as low as $4500 like the MR2 turbo. Not to mention that sexy ass optional T-top.....
Agreed I used to have one and they're awesome, put some work into them and I'm sure they would own. I got rid of mine cuz i got tired of my head hitting the roof. But yes they definitely haven't developed the same scene as 240's have
Old 06-12-2015, 11:35 AM   #58
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
...over a PAIN IN THE ASS TO WORK ON BECAUSE OF ITS MID-REAR ENGINE, legit 2 seater, JDM turbo car that you can buy for as low as $4500 like the MR2 turbo. Not to mention that sexy ass optional T-top.....
there, went ahead and fixed that for yah

Old 06-12-2015, 11:44 AM   #59
ixfxi
Post Whore!

" Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
...over a PAIN IN THE ASS TO WORK ON BECAUSE OF ITS MID-REAR ENGINE, legit 2 seater, JDM turbo car that you can buy for as low as $4500 like the MR2 turbo. Not to mention that sexy ass optional T-top....."

Quote:
and for the record, let me remind you that its a toyota - they're overbuilt to the point where they (very) rarely need major service.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:52 AM   #60
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:

Hahaha like the procedures for anything coolant related? having to do all sorts of special steps in order to save your head gasket having to raise the car like 9 feet in the air so you can actually do stuff . Other than that though, its kinda like most jap cars (ie 240's),you have to basically pull the engines to do anything, if you aren't like Japanese sized . Otherwise your hands are gonna get all cut up
This vv
"and for the record, let me remind you that its a toyota - they're overbuilt to the point where they (very) rarely need major service"