Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #31
killer240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
killer240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
what do you think about using this kind of paint for a dashboard?

is it illegal/legal to run custom cluster? i don't think so, but im not sure?
Old 11-22-2010, 12:03 AM   #32
ALEXTHESUS*PECT
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
ALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ALEXTHESUS*PECT
wooooooow, so nice!

TEAM SUS*PECT
ALEXTHESUS*PECT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:10 AM   #33
punkmonkey0913

Trader Rating: (0)
punkmonkey0913 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
and he does it AGAIN
broadfield is my hero
punkmonkey0913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:44 AM   #34
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
What can I say? Broadfield IS the MAN!

And just to add...........

DASH 2 Cluster Solution
Innovative Wideband
Nordskog Fuel Level

Thanks again Toby! The cluster is the cherry on top of my build.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:17 AM   #35
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
^ Glad to see another gauge was added to the other side. I think that is a perfect layout. Nice work as always Tob...

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:29 AM   #36
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
so dope man!
Old 11-22-2010, 08:05 AM   #37
kyles1988
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
kyles1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Nice work Greg!
kyles1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:18 AM   #38
nathanong87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
nathanong87 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
holy moly.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:42 AM   #39
G240
Zilvia Junkie

G240 is on a distinguished road
Looks great, any reason why you didn't make a custom clear cover? I just think the 3 holes takes away from the awesome work that was done.
G240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:56 AM   #40
kyles1988
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
kyles1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I don't think people realize it takes 73 master's degrees in thermodynamics and being awesome to make that kind of plastic cover.
kyles1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #41
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles1988 View Post
I don't think people realize it takes 73 master's degrees in thermodynamics and being awesome to make that kind of plastic cover.
or you could just use acrylic...

it wont be easy, but it is possible.

you could also use an optically clear adhesive to fill the hole since its being wetsanded and polished. it wont be perfect but i guess its better than having open holes.

either way, not a big deal. some people are so picky they forget they're driving a 20+ year old rust-bucket
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #42
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Looking great like always! Man I have to use your services for my glovebox once I figure out what I'd like to run.
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:24 PM   #43
ILoveMyRHS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
ILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ILoveMyRHS13
Fantastic work as well.

Our of curiosity, how do you know the driver will be looking at the cluster at 12 degrees?
ILoveMyRHS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:25 PM   #44
funes
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
funes is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
clean work, it is awesome!
funes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:12 PM   #45
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer240 View Post
what do you think about using this kind of paint for a dashboard?

is it illegal/legal to run custom cluster? i don't think so, but im not sure?
I'm sure it's illegal not to have an odometer in certain states/cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyRHS13 View Post
Fantastic work as well.

Our of curiosity, how do you know the driver will be looking at the cluster at 12 degrees?
12 degrees off axis of a straight on view. So the customer determined where he sat and where the Dash2 would sit in the cluster. It's not an exact science of how much I angled it... as long as it was close.

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #46
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by G240 View Post
Looks great, any reason why you didn't make a custom clear cover? I just think the 3 holes takes away from the awesome work that was done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
or you could just use acrylic...

it wont be easy, but it is possible.

you could also use an optically clear adhesive to fill the hole since its being wetsanded and polished. it wont be perfect but i guess its better than having open holes.

either way, not a big deal. some people are so picky they forget they're driving a 20+ year old rust-bucket
As Kyle stated, it would not be easy to simply make that piece. I would have to make a mold of the original first... which would be VERY time consuming and VERY difficult. I would then need to use a product called Liquid Ice... which is basically liquid acrylic. That stuff is not cheap either. Then yes, I would have a perfect piece of OEM replica without the holes. But who in their right mind is going to pay me $300 - $400 or more for that piece?

As far as using a piece of acrylic... that's not good either. Acrylic is flat and the OEM piece is actually a compound angle. That would be VERY difficult to form with heat on a consistent level acceptable to me. Then you still wouldn't have anyway to attach it to the front trim. The OEM piece has the clips molded into it.

As for filling the holes... it would look like I tried to fill the holes and failed. Why bother filling the holes if it's going to look like you filled it? It would be different if the holes were a hazard issue... like water was going to get in there or something. Otherwise the holes are harmless.

And on top of all of that, you don't really notice the holes when it's actually mounted in the car and under the dash hood. The only reason you notice them now is because of the direct lighting on it.

As seen in mine, you just don't notice it that much:

Toby

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 11-22-2010, 01:56 PM   #47
ZilviaKid
Zilvia FREAK!

ZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the rough
so good man, you really are inspirational.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #48
G240
Zilvia Junkie

G240 is on a distinguished road
You make valid points Toby. Thanks for the time in explaining.
G240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #49
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
As Kyle stated, it would not be easy to simply make that piece. I would have to make a mold of the original first... which would be VERY time consuming and VERY difficult. I would then need to use a product called Liquid Ice... which is basically liquid acrylic. That stuff is not cheap either. Then yes, I would have a perfect piece of OEM replica without the holes. But who in their right mind is going to pay me $300 - $400 or more for that piece?

As far as using a piece of acrylic... that's not good either. Acrylic is flat and the OEM piece is actually a compound angle. That would be VERY difficult to form with heat on a consistent level acceptable to me. Then you still wouldn't have anyway to attach it to the front trim. The OEM piece has the clips molded into it.

As for filling the holes... it would look like I tried to fill the holes and failed. Why bother filling the holes if it's going to look like you filled it? It would be different if the holes were a hazard issue... like water was going to get in there or something. Otherwise the holes are harmless.

And on top of all of that, you don't really notice the holes when it's actually mounted in the car and under the dash hood. The only reason you notice them now is because of the direct lighting on it.

As seen in mine, you just don't notice it that much:
Toby
i notice it, but then again i am not the customer so it doesnt matter

good job though
Old 11-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #50
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Call me weird, but I kind of like the asymmetrical design. Either way, this looks awesome. I'll definitely be giving you a call when I want a cluster put together.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #51
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
bllabong89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
your work is sooooo sick. great job like always.
bllabong89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #52
CLM_s13Type-x
Leaky Injector

CLM_s13Type-x is an unknown quantity at this point
Man you got skills. Its looks factory. Awesome!
CLM_s13Type-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:50 PM   #53
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
wouldnt it just be better not using that plastic shield at all
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:56 PM   #54
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Call me weird, but I kind of like the asymmetrical design. Either way, this looks awesome. I'll definitely be giving you a call when I want a cluster put together.
Actually, I like the asymmetrical layout also. Gives it that "raw" feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark123 View Post
It would look a little unfinished, but it's completely up to each person... you can do whatever you want. It is nice because it helps keep dust out.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 11-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #55
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark123 View Post
deep

i mean, imagine how hard its going to be for the new owner to UNCLIP the original cover

he may need to send it back to toby, in case he doesnt have the strength and/or tools necessary
Old 11-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #56
onepuff
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
onepuff is on the path to ruinonepuff is on the path to ruinonepuff is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Toby have you ever tried vacuum forming for the clear plastic. Here's a link

Vacuum form a clear canopy!
onepuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:53 PM   #57
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepuff View Post
Toby have you ever tried vacuum forming for the clear plastic. Here's a link

Vacuum form a clear canopy!
I have a vacuum bag setup at work that we use to make our own veneers on wood etc. However, the plastic I would need to use would be at least 4x as thick as the stuff in that write-up. So I'm not really sure if it would work. It looks to be a good way to do it if it would work on thicker acrylic though. But like I stated, it's not a matter of if I can do it, it's a matter of a customer wanting to pay to have it done. I think a lot of people on here think I make a ton of clusters and that the customer may want an option for a new clear front.... I have made TWO clusters for customers, that's it! Hell, I can't even give away a free S14 cluster because no one has the gauges to put in it. Grant it, I have a couple clusters lined up within the next couple months, but it's just not something that is popular. If they will pay, I will make it!

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 11-24-2010, 09:02 PM   #58
onepuff
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
onepuff is on the path to ruinonepuff is on the path to ruinonepuff is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Cool just throwing it out there. You were talking about the liquid acrylic stuff so wasn't sure if you were aware of this way.
onepuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #59
xBlastoisex
Zilvia Member

xBlastoisex is an unknown quantity at this point
dude your stuff is insane!! i remember meeting you a few summers ago at IA. was with kim. do you also do upholstery for customers or only the clusters.
xBlastoisex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:38 PM   #60
holemilk00
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
holemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
There are things on the market for the aquarium industry that you could use to fill those holes that would be flawless after the sanding and polishing process if it ever really bothers someone that much. But for the most part, you don't see it.