Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #31
SuperBlackS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
SuperBlackS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Well I appreciate you guys looking out for me.

So between PBM and SPL. Thanks guys for the feedback.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #32
naw_speed
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
naw_speed is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
look you get what you pay for. if you buy cheap $hit then do an alignment. sweet!! your cheap $hit breaks. then you buy more cheap shit an align again. not so sweet... the process will be heartbreaking in the end when you find out at you could have waited bought the right parts the first time and saved money. then you would be the guy that would have been writing this post or the guy that all your friends ask about the best parts to use, and are the envy of all you friends cause you got the dopest ride...
the proper way to go is to save and buy all the parts you need (coilovers, arms, and bushings) to align the car to your preference ie.(daily, drifter, or autocross) what ever it may be. then install, align, and tweek as necessary.

i don't write many post but when i do i just like to be informative and true. i have been through many set ups and learned my lesson. so just trying to pass the info down.

my set up....
fortune auto coilovers 500 Series (PBM was out of stock at the time).
Rear: PBM toe rods, trac rods, RUCAs, and subframe spacers, cusco sway bar w/pu bushing
Front: PBM tension rods, cusco sway bar w/pu bushing, and megan inner/outter tie rods..... and at the moment i am replacing the outter tie rods they have only been in for one year. my ride is a dd/midnight brawler..........and i am very happy wit everthing.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #33
Sennate
BANNED

Trader Rating: (2)
Sennate is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsdude View Post
or you can get pbm ruca's i don't think they're -that- much more expensive
pbm is made in taiwain. Same shit. Still better than megan and circuitsports.
Sennate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #34
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
sidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
whats funny about this thread/the internet in general is that it literally convinced this guy to spend almost 3x as much on arms that he was willing to spend. I LOVE how people have this connotation that megan/isis/cs/etc. will spontaneously explode and cause you to die. i'm willing to bet some are just fanbois/nutriders who probably don't have spl/pbm themselves fwiw.

i've ran megan and isis arms on my last couple of track cars. one was daily driven for over 2 years and saw weekly drift events/drifting. i had no issues. isis, same quality but as i pointed out earlier comes with a no questions asked warranty basically. is pbm, spl, fortune, etc. better quality? OF COURSE IT IS...you obviously get what you pay for. but, that doesn't mean all lower end brands are complete shit and not going to work.

CURRENTLY, on my street car i'm running all cusco arms. the reason i went a different route was because i'm financially fortunate nowadays to afford the "name brand" shit, that and i kind of went all out on this build. but, if your broke your broke and get what you can afford. just choose wisely and get the best thats in your budget.

EDIT: if you are truly considering a higher end company, i STRONGLY suggest fortune auto. TONS of pro-am/xdc drivers are beating the shit out of their parts and they are taking the abuse. in addition tested, assembled, warrantied, and based out of the U.S. (near richmond, va) is a giant perk too. do your own research and make your own decision. don't listen to shit heads on the internet (including me).
sidewaysil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #35
naw_speed
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennate View Post
pbm is made in taiwain. Same shit. Still better than megan and circuitsports.
probably not!! made in taiwain.

Parts Shop MAX newest super low S-Chassis camber arm fabrication - YouTube
Old 02-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #36
JDMpurest
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
JDMpurest is making his/her stupidity well-knownJDMpurest is making his/her stupidity well-knownJDMpurest is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Why not just buy a quality brand used pair of RUCA's?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #37
streetprototype
Leaky Injector

streetprototype is an unknown quantity at this point
like stated above just buy quality, save you time and money! better to do it right the first time then having to learn your lesson the hardway.
streetprototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #38
streetprototype
Leaky Injector

streetprototype is an unknown quantity at this point
btw those who keep saying" just buy pbms...or spl" get off the fvckin fanboi bandwagon. he has other reputable options to choose from!
streetprototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #39
WERDdabuilder
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
WERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
no love for battle version? i dont get it, why cant you just save up money for one more week and buy legit arms from the get-go?
Old 02-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #40
Kr5Kouki

Kr5Kouki is an unknown quantity at this point
My battle version rear end bars are legit. Full set, no issue. I abuse my suspension on back roads and trails.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Kr5Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #41
Jerrys14q
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
Jerrys14q will become famous soon enoughJerrys14q will become famous soon enoughJerrys14q will become famous soon enoughJerrys14q will become famous soon enoughJerrys14q will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jerrys14q
Just save up don't be in such a hurry I bought some used pbm tension rods for $100
no problems whats so ever.
Jerrys14q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #42
leung
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (73)
leung is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by naw_speed View Post
look you get what you pay for...
Funny that you have a pic of your engine bay with a meagan racing sticker on the fan shroud in your sig. Just sayin'
leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #43
Pinggg
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Pinggg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by leung View Post
Funny that you have a pic of your engine bay with a meagan racing sticker on the fan shroud in your sig. Just sayin'

mssglength
Pinggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #44
naw_speed
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by leung View Post
yes... i have many megan parts... so what... never said megan was bad, but side by side quality shows... i'm all for people buying and selling low price parts. just trying to help a fellow man make a good chose the first time... i'm pretty sure someone once in your life told you not to stick your tongue on a steel pole @ below freezing temps right....
Old 02-17-2012, 04:39 AM   #45
bladetech8
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (32)
bladetech8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
- SPL
- PBM
- CUSCO/Kazama
- Battle Version

^ Best parts for the money!

I'm personally running SPL arms all around, except for the RUCA (PBM's half-moon design doesn't hit my coilover spring so I had no other choice)
bladetech8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:43 AM   #46
Howie Felter Snatch
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Howie Felter Snatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Running SPL Arms all around.. Made in the USA and if you give a damn about this country, it would be a good idea to support companies that manufacture and produce goods here on this very soil. They're damn good quality and have excellent reputation. Gotta pay to play kids..
Howie Felter Snatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #47
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman5982 View Post
That doesn't answer the question.
I don't support shit companies. Clear enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
whats funny about this thread/the internet in general is that it literally convinced this guy to spend almost 3x as much on arms that he was willing to spend.
shit's always been priced about the same
it's funny how cheap asses these days expect to pay 1/3 the price for 'quality' arms

Quote:
i'm willing to bet some are just fanbois/nutriders who probably don't have spl/pbm themselves fwiw.
SPL, Peak Performance and some Powertrix arms (renmants of my peasant days) on my cars

Quote:
EDIT: if you are truly considering a higher end company, i STRONGLY suggest fortune auto. TONS of pro-am/xdc drivers are beating the shit out of their parts and they are taking the abuse. in addition tested, assembled, warrantied, and based out of the U.S. (near richmond, va) is a giant perk too. do your own research and make your own decision. don't listen to shit heads on the internet (including me).
I would trust driver opinions only if they bought the stuff with their own money
drivers accepting sponsorships from inferior brands just to get by is a very common thing
and why support a Johnny-come-lately brand offering products to a saturated market?
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #48
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Kazama links suck. Their heims turn into floppy vaginas fairly quickly.

SPL has always been where my love lie.

I haven't had any quality problems with PBM either.

Also, streetprototype is ignorant.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #49
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

sidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoNegra View Post
I would trust driver opinions only if they bought the stuff with their own money
drivers accepting sponsorships from inferior brands just to get by is a very common thing
and why support a Johnny-come-lately brand offering products to a saturated market?
I agree but look at their coil over thread, they make a REALLY REALLY good product. their arms are equally as beefy and just as good. tons and I mean TONS of drivers from this area (mid-atlantic) are using them and they are beyond fine. I don't get the "johnny-come-lately brand" comment. I get their new but i don't see what the market being saturated has to do with it. for as far back as i can remember it's been any of the jdm companies or spl for good arms. then pbm came around/blew up, so why hate just cause they're new. not mention their rucas are completley one off, they are the only company that r&d'd/uses that design.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #50
Prok0
Zilvia Junkie

Prok0 will become famous soon enoughProk0 will become famous soon enoughProk0 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Prok0
SPL is awesome, super high quality, great rod ends, great customer service.

And they are always on the leading edge of new suspension technology and design!

Check out all their stuff!
SPL Parts Products - Enjuku Racing Parts, LLC
Old 02-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #51
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Quote:
I get their new but i don't see what the market being saturated has to do with it.
A reference to all these companies that have sprung out like weeds over the last few years
that offer nearly identical product catalogs and no innovation to exploit a community of cheap, image conscious and entitled sheep.

The "hate" you refer to is mostly disgust at the obvious trends and willingness of the community to be blindly led like lemmings in the pursuit of instant gratification.
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #52
Ninjamasta04

Trader Rating: (1)
Ninjamasta04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBlackS14 View Post
Well I appreciate you guys looking out for me.

So between PBM and SPL. Thanks guys for the feedback.
I personally had SPL everything, minus the lower control arms, on my last S14. They are a big difference and you can feel it. Another plus side is that few years later on the road if your helm joints break, you can replace them for $40 or less depends on how far you live from Texas.
Ninjamasta04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #53
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoNegra View Post
A reference to all these companies that have sprung out like weeds over the last few years
that offer nearly identical product catalogs and no innovation to a exploit a community of cheap, image conscious and entitled sheep.

The "hate" you refer to is mostly disgust at the obvious trends and willingness of the community to be blindly led like lemmings in the pursuit of instant gratification.
i guess we (I) are getting off topic. all i was saying is that fortune should be considered in the spl category and imo better then or equal to pbm. but def not written off as another godspeed, megan, etc. or trend. and my comment about isis was simply saying that out of all the lower end brands (lets face it, not everyone can afford $250 arms) they seem to be the best (no major failures/breaks reported) and at least have a great warranty through enjuku.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #54
Prok0
Zilvia Junkie

Prok0 will become famous soon enoughProk0 will become famous soon enoughProk0 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Prok0
Quote:
and my comment about isis was simply saying that out of all the lower end brands (lets face it, not everyone can afford $250 arms) they seem to be the best (no major failures/breaks reported) and at least have a great warranty through enjuku.
The ISIS arms are definitely a good choice for lower cost/budget minded people.

I worked on Patrick Goodin's Formula D Pro AM car the last 2 years which ran all ISIS arms, and I was very surprised the beating they handled. (Crashed at Irwindale, another driver was driving his car and crashed head on at 30+ at CFRC, countless very rough dirt drops/pavement transfers, collisions, etc, and not one arm broken/bent)
When the car crashed head on it ripped the tension rod bracket out of the core support and bent the engine cross member where the lower control arm mounts, but the tension rod was un-damaged.
He also hit a wall and shifted the entire subframe and did not damage any of the toe/ruca/traction arms.

They do no have the highest quality rod ends, and the coating/paint they use does chip off but for 400$ for a full set of arms that have been proven to take a substantial beating and not break, and also carry a great warranty, it is not a bad option for the budget minded enthusiast.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #55
Moore
Leaky Injector

Moore is an unknown quantity at this point
I personally have no experience with the higher end arms but I have been running my megan full rear and front tractions for 3 seasons now with no issues. I daily drive the car on rough roads and track it around 6 times a season. I did get tien coilovers, but imo for a daily driven car its just a link. My heim joints have held up and I even drove it the first year in the winter.
Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #56
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBlackS14 View Post
Well, when you're poor and don't really have a choice... But are the PBMs that much better?
i love how you guys are so fucking hardcore, that you find an absolute NEED for shitty parts (in this case, control arms).

please elaborate, because guys who've been in the community for 15+ years have been running modified stock arms with stiffer bushings and elongated bolt holes for additional camber adjustment. now you guys want to talk nonsense and use two opposite words in the same sentence: POOR and RACE

fucking shit, i hate reading half the dribble on this forum for this very reason, its like reading a discussion between retards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxball88 View Post
Over a year on ISIS arms.

Fuck the haters.
I love hearing about how good a suspension component is from someone who lives in Florida. FLORIDA. You dont even NEED suspension, springs, or any of that shit in Florida. Its all fucking FLAT and perfectly paved.

Get the fuck out of here with that shit.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #57
Pinggg
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Pinggg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
I love hearing about how good a suspension component is from someone who lives in Florida. FLORIDA. You dont even NEED suspension, springs, or any of that shit in Florida. Its all fucking FLAT and perfectly paved.

Get the fuck out of here with that shit.[/QUOTE]

You can't really say that because not all of florida roads are good..
yes a lot of it is but not all. If you don't live in florida or have lived here then you can't be saying anything.
Pinggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #58
SuperBlackS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
SuperBlackS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
i love how you guys are so fucking hardcore, that you find an absolute NEED for shitty parts (in this case, control arms).

please elaborate, because guys who've been in the community for 15+ years have been running modified stock arms with stiffer bushings and elongated bolt holes for additional camber adjustment. now you guys want to talk nonsense and use two opposite words in the same sentence: POOR and RACE
I never said I wanted them to race. In any part of this thread. There is a diffence between being frugal and being stupid, which is what I came here to ask opinions about. I said I wanted them to daily and obviously if the cheaper arms broke it's not cost conscious at that point, so I came asking for durability. What I got was a lot of SPL Recommendations, and I appreciate the people that added legitimate input, but those that flamed without adding anything any real info, haven't helped.

Personally I'd appreciate you not bringing something completely unhelpful to a "help" thread but that's just me. If anyone else wants to weight in, you're welcome to, but I recently had a personal opportunity to upgrade my budget, and will be going with the SPL's for the durability and the glowing reviews I got from people. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

This thread can be locked pending moderators convenience because I've made my decision and I feel that my question has been answered. Neither is better than the other is the conclusion I've drawn.

Thank you sidewayssil80 and the others who's name's I can't remember off the top of my head. I really appreciate the help!
Old 02-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #59
donabeast

donabeast is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought my car 5-6 years ago with all of magens suspention parts and ive never had a problem with them, i daily and track my car regularly, the car also came with a turbo mani and down pipe the mani cracked and they replaced it free of charge even though i wasnt the origanal perchaser. I like megan racing.
donabeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #60
S_13_Sr.
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
S_13_Sr. is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
this made me really curious.. i just bought a 240 and the seller threw in some knockoff links that im too scared to use..

how bad is bad??

can anyone produce some pics of how and where they have broken?

is there a huge difference between these three designs? are two arms better than one? is squared better than round?

i figured since everyone on here seems to be an expert i could get some imput...
S_13_Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote