Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #31
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSiBaron View Post
Well let's see, car design is a design degree, not an engineering degree. A proper education (not all are equal) teaches you to learn about engineering and take it into account when you design so you have a viable vehicle that works at the end of the day. After you develop a concept for a vehicle you establish design peramiters you work around, you develop what technology you will use and a rough idea of where you'll place it or where you could place it in the vehicle. This helps you establish the proportions and general look of a vehicle, then you start developing body designs around it through sketching development. After you develop this further you refine it into a finished idea...

From there marketing ruins it and then you have the camaro...
dandy. didn't think such a program existed.

i take it you work for GM? I'm kind of curious who has the final say in the system requirements of the vehicle in the processes... marketers, or design/project engineering?
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #32
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
RedSiBaron is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
dandy. didn't think such a program existed.

i take it you work for GM? I'm kind of curious who has the final say in the system requirements of the vehicle in the processes... marketers, or design/project engineering?
Ya I didn't know it existed until I wandered into the design building and accidentally got lost and found the car design studios and decided that's what I wanted to do...

I don't work at gm...the tricky thing about the auto industry is tthey typically only look at your portfolio once, so im going to work a few years for product design companies then apply to honda, nissan, ford, hyundai, and subaru and anyone else who is hiring that sounds good...I've heard those are some of the best to work for...im also looking at working at some companies that build racecars that need designers for production vehicles and CAD right now instead of product design.

Plus I need to live near my rents right now due to some family issues that need to get handled before I move far away for a job...ah well

Typically its marketting and product planners that make final decisions and ruin cars...not designers or engineers
RedSiBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #33
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
does your program get into the business side of it at all?
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #34
S4quattro
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
S4quattro is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
conventional machinist (not CNC) at CSI
S4quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #35
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

RedSiBaron is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
does your program get into the business side of it at all?
We do some business classees, but we also learn about how you need to think about cost in quantity and manufacturing...that's another thing we talk about manufacturing a lot...

That said, we did a lot of cool concept stuff in school, and if the concept went out of the realm of production, we would still talk about production but as an exercise so we understood it even if it was no long applicable to the design.
RedSiBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #36
JBao
Zilvia Member

JBao is making a name for him/her selfJBao is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSiBaron View Post
Typically its marketting and product planners that make final decisions and ruin cars...not designers or engineers

marketing ruins everything in every field. i'm a corporate level web developer/designer for a trade shows/publications company (previously a content manager for one of the properties we own). i do my best to hide my work from marketing...then they see it...and change it to crap.
JBao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:34 PM   #37
Edan

Edan is an unknown quantity at this point
I am working as an discount tire minneapolisaccountant in a firm in New york...

Last edited by Edan; 01-01-2011 at 01:15 AM..
Edan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #38
180sExy
Zilvia FREAK!

180sExy has a reputation beyond repute180sExy has a reputation beyond repute180sExy has a reputation beyond repute180sExy has a reputation beyond repute180sExy has a reputation beyond repute180sExy has a reputation beyond repute180sExy has a reputation beyond repute180sExy has a reputation beyond repute180sExy has a reputation beyond repute180sExy has a reputation beyond repute180sExy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to 180sExy
I do security for a night club/concerts an celebs.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:06 PM   #39
doridet
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
doridet has a reputation beyond reputedoridet has a reputation beyond reputedoridet has a reputation beyond reputedoridet has a reputation beyond reputedoridet has a reputation beyond reputedoridet has a reputation beyond reputedoridet has a reputation beyond reputedoridet has a reputation beyond reputedoridet has a reputation beyond reputedoridet has a reputation beyond reputedoridet has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to doridet Send a message via Yahoo to doridet
I work for Sonic Motor as the jack-of-all-trades woman. lol
doridet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:18 PM   #40
trollin240

trollin240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Youth rehabilitation
Old 12-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #41
FRpilot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollin240 View Post
Youth rehabilitation
does this mean you deal with all the high school and middle school punk kids who think they are the shit and won't listen to anything?

if so... you are a very patient person. probably more so than any nurse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.
FRpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #42
trollin240

trollin240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRpilot View Post
does this mean you deal with all the high school and middle school punk kids who think they are the shit and won't listen to anything?

if so... you are a very patient person. probably more so than any nurse.
Yeah for the most part. Some are line that, others are drug users, violent, and what not.

Job makes it really hard to buy parts for my project, but it's not all about the money. I like to have the pain in the ass kids come in with not a care in the world, then leave with a drive for life. Cheesy I know but it's the truth.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:31 PM   #43
Quail
Zilvia FREAK!

Quail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfection
Send a message via MSN to Quail
I'm a Paid Search Executive (digital marketing), but for some stupid reason I studied architecture at University.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:55 PM   #44
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I've heard of car design programs....was once something I really wanted to get into....but also realized it's easier to become a pro football player. And I didn't like the odds for that kind of work. I found that out when a better artist than I decided it was going to be hard work. And i'm the type that I put in what I receive....and if I put in all that effort to get nothing...i'd cry. lol

I work for discounttires.com as their shetland. I've been putting in three years worth of effort to see if this company will actually show the benefits. This will be the last year if I don't get what I want. lol. I'm far too intellegent to be running a company for someone else.

and for the OP. Before you decide on the job you will have for the rest of your life....I have always been told.....
"what would you do....if money were no object?"

because if your answer is work on some fat asses toyota tercel with a fucked motor mount and needs to replace her auto transmission....then my friend...you will be happy with any job.

I have yet to meet a happy mechanic. Happy mechanics are high paid mechanics. Nothing else.
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:17 PM   #45
ZFan92

ZFan92 is an unknown quantity at this point
full time student ftw
ZFan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #46
enot767
Zilvia Member

enot767 is an unknown quantity at this point
Inventory manager at Gucci.

No, i cant get rolls of it for your interior.
enot767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #47
stinky_180
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
stinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to stinky_180
Mobile Handset Technician

5yrs this month...
Old 01-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #48
Neon_rain519
Zilvia Member

Neon_rain519 is an unknown quantity at this point
Paper boy.
Neon_rain519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #49
nujabe
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
nujabe can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
i work at apple store and go to school. i hate my job but it funds my car i want to quit so bad haha But im all ways finding some thing i want or need to pay for... i cant wait to get out of school and just chill.
nujabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:24 PM   #50
MisawaJason
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
MisawaJason is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
US Air Force for the past 7.5 years. I'm a generator mechanic. We have any tool that you would ever need in our shop. That where I work on my car most of the time unless I really need to use a lift
Old 01-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #51
junkies silvia

junkies silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
i work on cars an hustle.......
junkies silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #52
Devens240
Zilvia Junkie

Devens240 is just really niceDevens240 is just really niceDevens240 is just really niceDevens240 is just really niceDevens240 is just really niceDevens240 is just really niceDevens240 is just really niceDevens240 is just really niceDevens240 is just really nice
Commercial Fisherman. and go to school whenever im home.
Devens240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #53
KoukiDrifter240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
KoukiDrifter240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I'm up he see's me I'm down BLEH!!!!!!!!!!!

farewell kouki!
KoukiDrifter240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:10 PM   #54
crazybb
Zilvia Member

crazybb is on a distinguished road
im a group leader for nestle gerber... lol... easy job with good pay...
crazybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:28 PM   #55
yingiang
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
yingiang is making a name for him/her selfyingiang is making a name for him/her selfyingiang is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
mechanical engineer
yingiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:28 PM   #56
josephin510
Zilvia Junkie

josephin510 is an unknown quantity at this point
Auto tech at a local independent shop. We mostly do engine swaps for oil change spots when they forget to tighten a drain plug and there customers blow there motor a couple days later. Easy job most cars are newer and or from hertz rental cars.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:40 PM   #57
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Imarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I was in the army...now i do a few things:

I work at a wedding business (it actually brings in the most money lol)
I do construction
Im an auto tech
Imarvin240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:14 AM   #58
bluuuurr
Leaky Injector

bluuuurr is an unknown quantity at this point
USAF - 1n335a
bluuuurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #59
sftmb
Leaky Injector

sftmb is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyProbe View Post
great advice. the last thing my dad wants to do when he comes home from working on cars all day is work on a fucking car. lol. also he's 53 and has horrible arthritis. not something you can do when you get old remember that. im a Computer Engineer. I can sit on my ass whe im 70 and make the same as i did when i was 20.
+1, I'm a Server Aministrator for a japanese web/email hosting company based in seattle Before this I was going through school getting my AA in the IT field and working for Nautica as a sales associate at the mall here. It took me a while to get used to sitting for 8-12 hours a day instead of moving around the while time. But it's a great job, but studying and always keeping up with new technologies and systems can be a pain. lol Also with regards to the arthritis thing, they say after 15-20 years in the IT field your hands start to take all teh wear and tear or typing for 8 hours every day. lol

Initially coming out of high school since I loved both cars and computers I did some research and found out what some people are saying. About working on cars for a living will kill it for you if you like it as a hobby since you do it all day and won't feel like working on your own when you come home.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #60
Otto347
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Otto347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Used to be a welder for a suspension company until I realized there is no money in that shit.

Now im in an accelerated welding course to be a pipe fitter for the union, great pay, great benefits. Fuck BMR.
Otto347 is offline   Reply With Quote