Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #5911
Irresistible
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
Irresistible is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
I figured this would be well placed here...

What is the best way to achieve a LITTLE bit more angle, without having to get knuckles? I have an S14, and I plan on getting the LCAs extended 25mm hopefully in order to give me a ridiculous amount of camber, but will that also improve my angle at all? Can I get the bump stop removed if I plan on retaining OEM knuckles? I also plan on getting tie rods that are a little extended, and possibly the Godspeed rack extension. (Because the guy that originally designed them no longer makes them). Also, I want to get the PBM rack relocating solid rack bushings... Will all of that increase my angle at least a little bit? I'm not looking for anything crazy, nor do I want to spend a bunch of money on it, however, I do want to do it right, and not get shitty parts.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #5912
DJPimpFlex
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (115)
DJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 115 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJPimpFlex Send a message via MSN to DJPimpFlex

I would just get a set of these. They extend your tie rods a little and give you a little more angle for very little money.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #5913
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irresistible View Post
I figured this would be well placed here...

What is the best way to achieve a LITTLE bit more angle, without having to get knuckles? I have an S14, and I plan on getting the LCAs extended 25mm hopefully in order to give me a ridiculous amount of camber, but will that also improve my angle at all? Can I get the bump stop removed if I plan on retaining OEM knuckles? I also plan on getting tie rods that are a little extended, and possibly the Godspeed rack extension. (Because the guy that originally designed them no longer makes them). Also, I want to get the PBM rack relocating solid rack bushings... Will all of that increase my angle at least a little bit? I'm not looking for anything crazy, nor do I want to spend a bunch of money on it, however, I do want to do it right, and not get shitty parts.
What DJ said. Once you start using the big rack spacers, you start getting into a really gnarly ackerman curve, and you can easily over center if you don't reduce the caster a decent amount.

I'd get rack spacers and call it a day. You'll probably want more, and if so, you can look into knuckles next.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:58 PM   #5914
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
^Problem is finding longer inner tie rods with rack threads long enough to handle those spacers. PBM is out of theirs at the moment.

I noticed certain retailer brands have a longer thread length going into the rack... so using something like longer i30 inners from Napa/OReilly/Autozone won't be an issue with those spacers. Will look into this in the next week or so when I install the PBM front knuckles I just received.

Edit: found out PBM has a few of their inner tie rods in stock... they just haven't updated their site yet so will just get those.

Last edited by az_240; 10-31-2013 at 05:46 PM..
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #5915
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Black R is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motary View Post
I wouldn't. If theres enough interest I could do a cheap version of a curved tension rod out of steel, say 10 pairs of em
I would be interested in a set also.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #5916
ska
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
ska is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
SO...pbm knuckles & lca, rack moved forward 25mm and sikky sway bar. so much lock lol
I'm rubbing the wheel wells at full lock and seriously thinking about cutting it.
Does anybody know if the wheel wells have ANY structural integrity? without a tubed front end, is it safe to just cut them out?

Also somebody had mentioned on here that with the steering rack moved forward, accompanied with modded knuckles, it will actually lower your ackerman? So if the PBM knuckles are spec'd at around 8 degrees of ackerman; does anybody know the approximate ackerman with the rack moved 25mm?
ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #5917
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Wheel wells are structural in a stock unibody car, but with a tube front end it won't matter. I'm in the same boat btw.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #5918
Black R
Zilvia Addict

I'm going to go half tube front also.

Decide on how much lock, etc you're going to have and then use the biggest wheels and tires you'll ever have up front, then tub or tube it based on that.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #5919
ska
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
ska is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Reason I also ask is because I would like more airflowing through my engine when im sideways. Sideways aero cooling :-]
ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #5920
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
What is the stock travel distance of the steering rack?
I know it has been posted plenty of times before, but for some reason I am having quite the difficult time finding the information.

On another note, I am excited for these GKTech rear control arms and the shim-adjustment, especially since I am obsessive about making sure both sides are adjusted the same and thus hate adjustable parts.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #5921
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Super strut vs macpherson strut vs double wishbone:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ined-tech-dept

Nissan Road Racing Forums - View Single Post - Bumpsteering An S13 @ Multiple Steering Angles
Old 11-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #5922
Matej
Post Whore!

Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Quote:
What is the best way to achieve a LITTLE bit more angle, without having to get knuckles?
Join the waiting list.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #5923
Irresistible
Nissanaholic!

Woah, cool. But what's the price? The whole purpose of me avoiding knuckles is to save some money lol
Old 11-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #5924
Matej
Post Whore!

Quote:
Woah, cool. But what's the price? The whole purpose of me avoiding knuckles is to save some money lol
169$ plus shipping from Australia. At least that is the projected price.
The nice thing is that you will not need to have your LCA's extended, since they already push the knuckle out 20mm.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #5925
Irresistible
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
The nice thing is that you will not need to have your LCA's extended, since they already push the knuckle out 20mm.
Or extend LCAs 25mm and them have that extend another 20mm. Fantastic. I can finally easily achieve the -200* of camber I've always wanted.

That's a pretty good price though, I'll have to look into those a bit.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #5926
dudermagee
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
dudermagee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:

Thought they were closer to 300 shipped with a prebuy.....
dudermagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #5927
Matej
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudermagee View Post
Thought they were closer to 300 shipped with a prebuy.....

Here is the post from page 179:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKTECH View Post
time for some track testing. The current Australian dollar is good for you guys. The intro price is going to be $199 AUD including our sales tax which is $181AUD excluding our tax = $162USD + delivery.

40mm roll centre correction and a little over 60 degrees of bolt on steering lock.

300$ would be almost a knuckles price, which would defeat the purpose. Though to be honest, I would still prefer these over knuckles since they incorporate the added track width, and I am not trying to do anything crazy with my car.
I am guessing that is the same reason why GKTech seemed a bit reluctant to work on them, as many potential knuckle buyers will probably end up choosing the adapters instead.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #5928
MidwestMyriad
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
MidwestMyriad is making a name for him/her selfMidwestMyriad is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Join the waiting list.
Eagerly waiting
Old 11-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #5929
dudermagee
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
dudermagee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Here is the post from page 179:

300$ would be almost a knuckles price, which would defeat the purpose. Though to be honest, I would still prefer these over knuckles since they incorporate the added track width, and I am not trying to do anything crazy with my car.
I am guessing that is the same reason why GKTech seemed a bit reluctant to work on them, as many potential knuckle buyers will probably end up choosing the adapters instead.
whoops, my bad. I thought you were talking about the LCA's.

I am going to go with their knuckles as they actually are drop knuckles.
dudermagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #5930
Matej
Post Whore!

There are so many cool/random parts to collect from GKTech. Cannot decide whether to keep procuring them one by one or risk waiting to order everything together.

Just bought their camber/castor tops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudermagee View Post
whoops, my bad. I thought you were talking about the LCA's.
If only those were 162$ as well.
I really only want them to run them at the shortest setting.

Is it true that S13 RLCA are about 10-15mm shorter than S14 ones? If so, having an S14 subframe would be nice, then I would just try using the S13 RLCA.
Are there any compatible OEM RLCA even shorter than the S13 ones? I have tried looking up every plausible RWD Nissan/Infiniti, though it does not appear so.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #5931
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Pretty sure the s13 and s14 rlcas are the same length, the difference in width comes from the subframe itself (thus the required use of offset bushings).
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #5932
NismoPlsr
Zilvia Addict

NismoPlsr is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
Pretty sure the s13 and s14 rlcas are the same length, the difference in width comes from the subframe itself (thus the required use of offset bushings).
Yeap, this is the truth. Track width is 10mm wider in the rear due to wider rear subframe. RLCAs are the same length.

EDIT: Note on rear lower control arms. If you start extending them with GKtech or any aftermarket arm you have to be careful with your axles overextending. This is specially true if you also are running dual caliper add-on brackets that also space out the rear hubs.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #5933
Irresistible
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoPlsr View Post
Yeap, this is the truth. Track width is 10mm wider in the rear due to wider rear subframe. RLCAs are the same length.

EDIT: Note on rear lower control arms. If you start extending them with GKtech or any aftermarket arm you have to be careful with your axles overextending. This is specially true if you also are running dual caliper add-on brackets that also space out the rear hubs.
Yeah, I've seen a few axles separate because of this or whatever other reason...

Where can I pre-buy those knuckle extension/drop thingies? I can't seem to find them on GKtech's website.

I love how they have a bunch of cool little parts like this and that they are still developing and producing many of them. As for the castor top hats, can I run those in conjunction with my Stance camber top hats? I know Stance actually offers the castor top hats, they just don't seem to market them very much. I'd love to be able to control my caster from there as well, but I also want to be able to adjust my camber via the top hats.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #5934
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

TDP kit is on sale this month.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #5935
ZacKisBacK_Fr
Leaky Injector

ZacKisBacK_Fr is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoPlsr View Post

Yep, I can't take my PBM RLCA to the maximum track width because of this axles problem! I'm running R33gtst axles as they are stronger btw but GKtech will soon sell some spacers to fit between the diff and the axles to solve this problem!

Check their FB page for up to date release info or join the mailing list on their website, those knuckle extension and spacers should be available soon, within a few weeks last time I asked them!
Old 11-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #5936
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (79)
DC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ska View Post
SO...pbm knuckles & lca, rack moved forward 25mm and sikky sway bar. so much lock lol
I'm rubbing the wheel wells at full lock and seriously thinking about cutting it.
Does anybody know if the wheel wells have ANY structural integrity? without a tubed front end, is it safe to just cut them out?

Also somebody had mentioned on here that with the steering rack moved forward, accompanied with modded knuckles, it will actually lower your ackerman? So if the PBM knuckles are spec'd at around 8 degrees of ackerman; does anybody know the approximate ackerman with the rack moved 25mm?
Better to widen the fender and track width than to cut inside - also easy to add a wheel spacer. Hammer vigorously first and cut as a last resort.

With our knuckle & LCA & 35mm forward inner tie rod offsetter and a decent amount of caster we measured 3* of ackerman at lock
How To order: You can order directly from our zilvia advertiser threads. When you add to cart, you get an instant shipping estimate, & the cart will remember all of your items as you move between forum threads and our website www.poweredbymax.net until you remove them or check out. I can also calculate estimates manually for you but the cart's estimates are way faster and more accurate.
Order Inquiry: IM me your real name and paypal address.
Thanks for your business!
DC Dan MAX USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #5937
yetijeff
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
yetijeff is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Alright this maybe very simple problem but to be honest is it's driving me crazy. I have a 13 hatch. On coilovers, all suspension arm are adjustable, except for the lowere control arms front and back. Cars pretty low but not ungodly scrape in everything low. Now I when it replaced all the suspension arms I "eyeballed it and it turned out pretty decent. No weird characteristics anything like that just a little bit of a left pull. No big deal. I've been ridin around everyday like this for a couple years. So this past weekend I went to get tires put on and I figure why not throw it on the alignment rack and have em dual it in. Now the car has an extreme right pull. As far as the printout I have everything looks copacetic but it's not. My wheel bearings are good, we tried switching the tires around to see if they were worn funny nothing changed. And now my power steering pump sounds like it has air in it and it's harder to turn than it was. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if they could point me in the right direction. Does the rack develop a dead spot where over the years where center would be? I don't know what to do he put it back on the rack like 5 times and could not get it straightened out. I also replaced the inner and outer tierods pretty soon after the suspension as well... Any help would b greatly appreciated, sorry for the novel lol
yetijeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #5938
NismoPlsr
Zilvia Addict

NismoPlsr is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacKisBacK_Fr View Post
Yep, I can't take my PBM RLCA to the maximum track width because of this axles problem! I'm running R33gtst axles as they are stronger btw but GKtech will soon sell some spacers to fit between the diff and the axles to solve this problem!

Check their FB page for up to date release info or join the mailing list on their website, those knuckle extension and spacers should be available soon, within a few weeks last time I asked them!
Spacers will work. GKtech is making them for 3x2, 5x1, 6x1 bolt patterns for any diff and hub setup.

We are also compiling a comprehensive list of axle lengths over on NRR.

Quote:
S13 left - 23" compressed, 25" relaxed
S14 left - 23" compressed, 25" relaxed
J30 left - 23-3/8" compressed, 24-1/2" relaxed (early J30)
350Z left - 23-7/8" compressed, 24-3/4" relaxed
Z32NA left - 24-3/8" compressed, 25-1/2" relaxed
Q45 left - 25-1/8" compressed, 26" relaxed (early Q45)

S13 right - 25" compressed, 26-1/2" relaxed
S14 right - 25" compressed, 26-1/2" relaxed
J30 right - 25-1/4" compressed, 26-1/8" relaxed
350Z right - 25-1/2" compressed, 26-3/8" relaxed
Z32NA right - 26" compressed, 26-7/8" relaxed
Q45 right - 27" compressed, 27-7/8" relaxed

Here are the Z32TT axle lengths (compressed):

Left - 24"
Right - 25 7/8"
OS Giken and real CV's, How to? - Page 7 - Nissan Road Racing Forums

You can see why LH Q45 with LH Z32 TT axles are the choice for 6x1 stub flange diffs in a s-chassis.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #5939
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
NRR all up in this thread...
Old 11-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #5940
Matej
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Moonface makes ones with up to 15mm of correction I believe, you really can't go much past 20mm or it starts hitting your rotor. It also increases ackerman substantially.

Why do you need extended ball joints specifically? A much better solution is PSM's forged knuckle, or their Pro-grip knuckle if you're not into faster steering and low ackerman.
This is a dumb question, but what effect do extended 'roll center adjuster' ball joints have in the rear?
The GKTech RLCA come with two different shank lengths for the ball joints, so I have been curious about it.
I suppose I know how they would change the geometry, so my question should actually rather be, would they be beneficial/not beneficial for drifting and how/why?

I know what they are good/bad for in the front, but I am unsure about the rear.