Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #5791
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motary View Post
THose look insanely heavy! I remember when I made my single piece arms that about 65% of the original mass was machined off after they had been laser cut. The tension side tubing looks fine, stress is mainly on the rod end body.
I had the same initial thought. Looks like the arm is made from either 1/2" or 3/4" Steel plate, which seems like WAY overkill and a good way to add a bunch of unnecessary mass - although, if it were pocketed it probably wouldn't be so bad.

Also, the welds look like they've got little to no penetration in some spots.... which could have something to do with amount of heat you'd need to pump into plate that thick to get a decent weld.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #5792
Chris28
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Chris28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Jonnie, I broke a pair of modified oem arms. I ripped the bung for the spherical bearing right out of the LCA. Granted it wasn't properly supported, but I'm still not sure if I want to risk breaking another one in the same manner.

I agree with the the comments about the orange LCA, all I know is that it's some guy with access to a laser cutter. No idea if there's any FEA to show for it, but I kind of doubt it.
Chris28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #5793
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Are there any pictures or videos that demonstrate how much correction any of the rear knuckle options actually provide?

It would be neat to see photographs of a car significantly lowered with all stock rear links and stock knuckles, and then pictures of the same car with the coilovers set at the same height, but with the aftermarket knuckles installed, such as the PSM or Driftworks ones.

I am mainly curious to see how effective the toe and camber gain reduction is.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #5794
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris28 View Post
Jonnie, I broke a pair of modified oem arms. I ripped the bung for the spherical bearing right out of the LCA. Granted it wasn't properly supported, but I'm still not sure if I want to risk breaking another one in the same manner.

I agree with the the comments about the orange LCA, all I know is that it's some guy with access to a laser cutter. No idea if there's any FEA to show for it, but I kind of doubt it.
Wow man...Sorry to hear that. I will have to post up some pics of the ones I am working on.
My friend had been running these arms for three seasons I believe. The tire wall ended the one, and I chatted with Alex and he does not have any parts for the Battle Version weld in adjusters any more. If he did I would have replaced the adjuster and the heim and called it good.
As far as the orange ones they look like several that are out on the market, but a much heavier version. The design has merit, but I am not sold on the fab work.
I have been a welder fabricator longer than I haven't been and I am very cautious about building suspension parts.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #5795
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
Are there any pictures or videos that demonstrate how much correction any of the rear knuckle options actually provide?

It would be neat to see photographs of a car significantly lowered with all stock rear links and stock knuckles, and then pictures of the same car with the coilovers set at the same height, but with the aftermarket knuckles installed, such as the PSM or Driftworks ones.
^There used to be some pics of this on the first page but they're gone now : /
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #5796
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:

I found some of the PSM ones that was posted a while back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travypoo View Post
installed my parts shop max rear knuckles today. took a couple before and after shots. thoughts?

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #5797
Chris28
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnie Fraz View Post
Wow man...Sorry to hear that. I will have to post up some pics of the ones I am working on.
My friend had been running these arms for three seasons I believe. The tire wall ended the one, and I chatted with Alex and he does not have any parts for the Battle Version weld in adjusters any more. If he did I would have replaced the adjuster and the heim and called it good.
As far as the orange ones they look like several that are out on the market, but a much heavier version. The design has merit, but I am not sold on the fab work.
I have been a welder fabricator longer than I haven't been and I am very cautious about building suspension parts.
I'd really like to see them to get a better idea of how to support the rod end. Mine lasted 3 events and probably around 1000 street miles, I'm glad it broke on track and not on the interstate driving to or from the event. This is how mine were done, this pair is a friends but done the exact same way. Plan is to replace the "end box plate" with 1/4" steel and brace the bung to the corners of the plate with 1/8" triangles.

Another option is this, but these large chunks of steel are $140 a piece.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:50 AM   #5798
sviellvoicae
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
sviellvoicae will become famous soon enoughsviellvoicae will become famous soon enoughsviellvoicae will become famous soon enoughsviellvoicae will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
So I've read over this thread and read the do's and donts and here is what I've decided to run. Pbm drop knuckles, pbm inner tie rods, moog outters, extended 25mm stock flca's, and rack relocation. Anyone see any issues with this?
sviellvoicae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #5799
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Motary
LOL

Motary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #5800
dudermagee
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
dudermagee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sviellvoicae View Post
So I've read over this thread and read the do's and donts and here is what I've decided to run. Pbm drop knuckles, pbm inner tie rods, moog outters, extended 25mm stock flca's, and rack relocation. Anyone see any issues with this?
PBM front knuckles are not drop knuckles, they are roll center correction knuckles.
dudermagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #5801
Mr_Flamenco

Trader Rating: (0)
Mr_Flamenco is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
is there any of PBM guys here? its hard to get them through the e-mails
Mr_Flamenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #5802
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
LOL
What the devil? hahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Flamenco View Post
is there any of PBM guys here? its hard to get them through the e-mails
Dan is in here off and on.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #5803
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (79)
DC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
[email protected] or if you message me in facebook from the PARTS SHOP MAX USA page It will get sent directly to my mobile phone. Im often on FB on and off regular business hours.

Quote:
The proof is in the tire. You can adjust to 0 camber in the rear on stock knuckles and still wear the inside of the tire.
After the Parts Shop MAX drop knuckle is installed at the same setting, there is perfectly even tire wear.

Some of this control over the rear tire is the drop and some of it is from having all spherical bearing joints. Dual calipers mounts are a plus too.
How To order: You can order directly from our zilvia advertiser threads. When you add to cart, you get an instant shipping estimate, & the cart will remember all of your items as you move between forum threads and our website www.poweredbymax.net until you remove them or check out. I can also calculate estimates manually for you but the cart's estimates are way faster and more accurate.
Order Inquiry: IM me your real name and paypal address.
Thanks for your business!
DC Dan MAX USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #5804
dudermagee
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
dudermagee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Dan MAX USA View Post
[email protected] or if you message me in facebook from the PARTS SHOP MAX USA page It will get sent directly to my mobile phone. Im often on FB on and off regular business hours.

The proof is in the tire. You can adjust to 0 camber in the rear on stock knuckles and still wear the inside of the tire.
After the Parts Shop MAX drop knuckle is installed at the same setting, there is perfectly even tire wear.

Some of this control over the rear tire is the drop and some of it is from having all spherical bearing joints. Dual calipers mounts are a plus too.

any plans on making a front drop knuckle?
dudermagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #5805
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

DC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond repute
Thats just a technicality of what to call it, I think it needs to lower the car to be called a drop knuckle.

We have made the ultimate front knuckles already & we have no plans to move the relationship between the coilover mount and the spindle, therefore it does not lower the car. We dropped the lower points 45mm for roll center on our forged super angle front knuckles.
Because coil over adjustments have no problem making the car low enough there was no need to make the knuckle drop the ride height any farther.
How To order: You can order directly from our zilvia advertiser threads. When you add to cart, you get an instant shipping estimate, & the cart will remember all of your items as you move between forum threads and our website www.poweredbymax.net until you remove them or check out. I can also calculate estimates manually for you but the cart's estimates are way faster and more accurate.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:42 PM   #5806
kunt_masha
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kunt_masha is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
which i30/maxima inners is everyone running? I snagged a few to do a quick comparison and it looks like the sizes vary depending on the generation.
kunt_masha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #5807
Chris28
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Here's the early model look on the tension rod I would like to manufacture and sell:

Currently it is not with a double adjuster, but it there is demand it will be introduced.

All suggestions and ideas are welcome

For pricetag, I am thinking 150 USD as intro price
I've decided to stick with an OEM flca, so I'm extremely interested in these. If you decide to make a prototype or do an early run I'll gladly purchase a set
Old 09-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #5808
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Quote:
I'd really like to see them to get a better idea of how to support the rod end. Mine lasted 3 events and probably around 1000 street miles, I'm glad it broke on track and not on the interstate driving to or from the event. This is how mine were done, this pair is a friends but done the exact same way. Plan is to replace the "end box plate" with 1/4" steel and brace the bung to the corners of the plate with 1/8" triangles.

Another option is this, but these large chunks of steel are $140 a piece.

Chris,
I finished up my buddies yesterday, and I will try to get some pics today. Originally he was using the Battle Version weld in adjusters, but the tire wall ended the one. I had to drill the threads out so I could use the threaded bung. Basically you could use a piece of DOM that fits the bung about three inches long weld that inside the arm and plate the end like you did before.
He runs Corr integration TC rods for tire clearance. His limiting factors now are the tie rod buckles and the sway bar.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:49 AM   #5809
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
I've decided to stick with an OEM flca, so I'm extremely interested in these. If you decide to make a prototype or do an early run I'll gladly purchase a set
Added to my list
Old 09-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #5810
InsTanCeZ
Zilvia Addict

InsTanCeZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Dan, do the dual Z32 caliper drop knuckles also work with stock single 240sx rear calipers, or would we have to get the original drop knuckle design?
Old 09-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #5811
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

You have two choices in rear knuckles.

1. OEM foot brake & Wilwood hand brake caliper on OEM disc type
In stock now

2. Dual Z32 caliper with Z32 disc type
In stock in 3 weeks

You can use the stock disc and ONE stock caliper with either type
Old 09-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #5812
InsTanCeZ
Zilvia Addict

Okay cool, also, I'm not sure if anyone has answered this already, but is it true that for every 5mm you extend the FLCAs you gain 1 degree of more negative camber? So for instance if your tophats were set at 0, and you extended your FLCAs 25mm, you'd have -5 degrees of camber, right? If that's true, how do people extend their FLCAs like 40mm or more without getting crazy amounts of negative camber? Also, how far do the PSM FLCAs extend, and if you extend them all the way, how do you prevent getting crazy negative camber? Especially since there is 2 degrees built in at the knuckle with your coilovers.

Last edited by InsTanCeZ; 09-12-2013 at 09:21 AM..
InsTanCeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #5813
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
delete .

Last edited by az_240; 09-27-2013 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: fixed
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #5814
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsTanCeZ View Post
Okay cool, also, I'm not sure if anyone has answered this already, but is it true that for every 5mm you extend the FLCAs you gain 1 degree of more negative camber? So for instance if your tophats were set at 0, and you extended your FLCAs 25mm, you'd have -5 degrees of camber, right? If that's true, how do people extend their FLCAs like 40mm or more without getting crazy amounts of negative camber? Also, how far do the PSM FLCAs extend, and if you extend them all the way? How do you prevent getting crazy negative camber? Especially since there is 2 degrees built in at the knuckle with your coilovers.
I'm not sure if there's a linear conversion for Camber VS. LCA length since there are a handful of other factors at play. Someone else may know it, or have the models to calculate it.

In any case, dialing out extreme negative camber uses the same methods as dialing it in, but in reverse (if that makes any sense.) You should have at least 35-50mm of adjustment travel at your top hats which can be used one to one with lengthening the LCA, meaning that with all other things constant, if you extend the LCA 5mm, and adjust the upper strut pivot the same 5mm your camber should not change.

If your coil-overs have 2 degrees of negative camber built into the lower mount, you can either slot the hole to bring the knuckle back to zero, or flip the bracket over to make it biased towards 2 degrees of positive. Some coil-overs like Fortune auto have a neat insert for the upper hole that essentially is a 4 position eccentric washer that adjusts the angle of the knuckle relative to the lower mount. It's intended to be used for wheel to coil-over clearance, but could also be used for camber adjustment.

Also, I have PBM LCA's front and rear on my S13, if I have a chance, I'll measure the range this weekend.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #5815
InsTanCeZ
Zilvia Addict

Okay, cool. Thanks. I've heard the PBM LCAs can go shorter than OEM as well, so I guess you'd have to factor that in when measuring how much longer they can be compared to the OEM LCAs.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #5816
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Looking at the design of the rear upright I wouldnt be surprised if it was bent after some handbrake uses
Old 09-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #5817
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Any welded structure is subject to some variation from one part to the next even out of the same jig made by the same welding technician.

Maybe the MAX rear knuckle is not as much of a nut swinger magnet as some unreleased CNC billet projects but it has dramatically increased the performance of many drift machines at a reasonable price for a long time.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #5818
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

I placed some lines in the arms to find the instant center of your knuckles that define camber gain, which is indeed much better than stock. Did you guys also correct bumpsteer?
Old 09-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #5819
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Yes, You must use OEM length outer tie rod ends.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:14 AM   #5820
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Sorry for confusing you, but I was talking about the rear knuckle