Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-25-2013, 02:08 AM   #5731
Mr_Flamenco

Trader Rating: (0)
Mr_Flamenco is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvi View Post
Which inner tie rod is recommended for those who extended their LCA and now the stock are too short?
Im using Altima tie rods, they are bit longer than the stock ones but i'm almost maximized them and it's kinda dangerous.
good question I am also interested to know
Mr_Flamenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2013, 02:08 AM   #5732
Drift_FX
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Drift_FX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Which inner tie rod is recommended for those who extended their LCA and now the stock are too short?
Im using Altima tie rods, they are bit longer than the stock ones but i'm almost maximized them and it's kinda dangerous.
i use PBM s14 style tie rods... work great for me....
Drift_FX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:10 AM   #5733
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
There is a list of tie rod lengths on the first page.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #5734
IThaJokaI
Zilvia Addict

IThaJokaI is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to IThaJokaI Send a message via MSN to IThaJokaI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
Indeed, but the length of the S13 rear damper itself is what becomes the hindrance when trying to go really low with most S13 coilovers. Thus many people end up maxing the rears out and/or using shorter springs, which is not necessarily good for the lifespan of the damper, nor will it perform at its potential.
I suppose one way to remedy this is to raise the rear strut towers, such as C's Garage did.

Do the aftermarket rear knuckle options space the bottom shock mounting point lower? Or would that have an adverse effect on something else?
If you're looking to lower the rear without messing with spring height or preload, just find another pair of front shocks that match your coilovers. 75% of the coilovers I have seen have shorter front struts which would allow you to lower it more just using the lower mount.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #5735
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by IThaJokaI View Post
If you're looking to lower the rear without messing with spring height or preload, just find another pair of front shocks that match your coilovers. 75% of the coilovers I have seen have shorter front struts which would allow you to lower it more just using the lower mount.
Most Miata and FD3S rear coilovers actually have the same or very similar valving as S13 rears (depending on how 'personalized' the manufacturer makes each coilover), while being shorter.
Though to really take advantage of this, a shorter lower mount would also be convenient, in which case the Z32/R32 front mount could be used.
Or the generic S13 rear lower mount design could be rethought.

And I am curious if the aftermarket rear knuckles do anything with the the shock mount position as well.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #5736
Razi
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
Razi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
From my understanding, since they basically raise the position of your wheel hub, you'll be lower at the same coilover setting.
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #5737
808drft
Leaky Injector

808drft is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Has anyone attempted using R32/Z32 front coilovers as S13 rears? It looks like they could be a direct fit, as long as the S13 top mounts are used.
It could be a possible way to help retain some rear suspension travel on a low car, though I am trying to find out how different the valving is.
I have done this before. When the coilover was halfway (single adjustable) the car was was 2in off the ground. I could of laid frame if I wanted to with 215/45/17. I have since installed ksport s13 coils cuz the z32 coils blew (got them used)
808drft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:12 AM   #5738
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Indeed, but the length of the S13 rear damper itself is what becomes the hindrance when trying to go really low with most S13 coilovers. Thus many people end up maxing the rears out and/or using shorter springs, which is not necessarily good for the lifespan of the damper, nor will it perform at its potential.
I suppose one way to remedy this is to raise the rear strut towers, such as C's Garage did.
Use S14 rear coilovers. They fit and go (much) lower. Found it the bad way, when i received S14 rears instead of S13.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:10 AM   #5739
Mr_Flamenco

Mr_Flamenco is an unknown quantity at this point
guys one more question,
If I dont want to make the wise fab kit to go all the way to 65 degrees, how would that be possible,,
meaning i want the max lock to be at 50-55, which is more than enough I believe.
Mr_Flamenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #5740
boost addict
Zilvia Addict

boost addict is making a name for him/her selfboost addict is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
Use S14 rear coilovers. They fit and go (much) lower. Found it the bad way, when i received S14 rears instead of S13.
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't s14 rear coils a lot longer?
boost addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #5741
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razi View Post
From my understanding, since they basically raise the position of your wheel hub, you'll be lower at the same coilover setting.
Correct.

When I installed PBM's drop knuckles on my S13, I had to lengthen my coils about an inch or so to keep the same ride height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost addict View Post
AFAIK, most/all S14 rear Coils are longer than S13 coils. There's a certain point where the overall lengths will cross over, with the lowest S14 setting being usable on an S13, but it's not optimized by any means.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #5742
IThaJokaI
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
Quote:
Yes s14 rear coilovers are atleast 2" longer, and that is the shock length not the mount height.

Although s14 rear lower mounts are the same height as z32/r32 front mounts, same bushing size too.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #5743
boost addict
Zilvia Addict

boost addict is making a name for him/her selfboost addict is making a name for him/her self
So if they're longer then they wouldn't go lower like croustibat was saying? Thats all Im trying to get at
boost addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #5744
JohanM
Zilvia Junkie

JohanM is an unknown quantity at this point

from this weekend, at CFRC for the summerslide event
JohanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #5745
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
So if they're longer then they wouldn't go lower like croustibat was saying? Thats all Im trying to get at
I know what you're saying and you're right, although it's kind of a weird thing to think about (it's hurting my brain as I try to mentally picture this).

S14 coils are longer, meaning that at a certain point, they'd be your limiting factor as far as ride height is concerned. With that being said, there should be/is some over lap between S13 and S14 coils as far as adjustment is concerned, so if you were in that over lap distance, then you could, in theory, run either without negatively effecting ride height - but there's a Bonus.

Figure if an S13 strut has X" of travel, and an S14 strut has X" + 2" of travel, then you would gain the difference in travel by switching to S14 struts, and be as low as you were previously. (Though, with that being said, some S13/S14 rear coils use the same strut depending on the manufacturer, and the only difference is the lower mount like Fortune auto's stuff.)

I think that all makes sense, but then again, I'm half stupid most of the time.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #5746
IThaJokaI
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefro526 View Post
I know what you're saying and you're right, although it's kind of a weird thing to think about (it's hurting my brain as I try to mentally picture this).

S14 coils are longer, meaning that at a certain point, they'd be your limiting factor as far as ride height is concerned. With that being said, there should be/is some over lap between S13 and S14 coils as far as adjustment is concerned, so if you were in that over lap distance, then you could, in theory, run either without negatively effecting ride height - but there's a Bonus.

Figure if an S13 strut has X" of travel, and an S14 strut has X" + 2" of travel, then you would gain the difference in travel by switching to S14 struts, and be as low as you were previously. (Though, with that being said, some S13/S14 rear coils use the same strut depending on the manufacturer, and the only difference is the lower mount like Fortune auto's stuff.)

I think that all makes sense, but then again, I'm half stupid most of the time.
Its not the travel that changes, most springs are the same size. Its the actual shock insert that is 2" longer. So what you're saying doesn't really apply.

And i have FAs on my s14, the rear struts ARE longer than s13 rears, just like almost every other coilover I have seen.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #5747
blusx

blusx is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok just installed custom knucles and tierods and for some reason now i got alot of woble in the steering wheel is that normal? I do feel the differance when turning radius wise but going strait it has a very distinct woble all i have is custom knucles tein inners and outters ,stock flca stock rack is it my steering rack going out??? And everything is tied double checked
blusx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #5748
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadacolor View Post

from this weekend, at CFRC for the summerslide event
This is rad, what knuckles, PSM? I'd like to use this in the first post. Speaking of which, the pictures are back up, I need to add some more things still though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blusx View Post
Ok just installed custom knucles and tierods and for some reason now i got alot of woble in the steering wheel is that normal? I do feel the differance when turning radius wise but going strait it has a very distinct woble all i have is custom knucles tein inners and outters ,stock flca stock rack is it my steering rack going out??? And everything is tied double checked
If you checked everything and it's all tight (wheels, tie rods, ball joints, bushings, etc) it sounds like your steering rack is dying.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #5749
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Can we start compiling front wheel widths and offsets that work with modified knuckles and a factory design tension rod and control arm setup? Excluding bent / relocated inward tension rods and 1 piece LCA's.

My 17x9 +20 do not clear the tension rod. Recently posted, 17x9 -32 does, and earlier in the thread, 17x7.5 +8.

I am looking to change to 17x8 but not sure of what offset will be ideal.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #5750
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
i'm using Maxima/I30 inners and S14 outers with my LCAs extended 56mm and PBM drop knuckles. those inners are reeeeeeally long.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:00 AM   #5751
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by IThaJokaI View Post
[...]
And i have FAs on my s14, the rear struts ARE longer than s13 rears, just like almost every other coilover I have seen.
I wonder where i went wrong then ... To get the minimum ride height that allows me to go over speed bumps, my rear coilovers are maxed...i cant get them higher. When i asked the seller, he told me there was a mistake and he sent me S14 rear coilovers ? I never bothered to check more than that, and i never returned them seeing it did fit my needs.

ah well. Waiting for some FA500 with swifts so that wont be a problem soon.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #5752
JohanM
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
This is rad, what knuckles, PSM? I'd like to use this in the first post. Speaking of which, the pictures are back up, I need to add some more things still though.
yeah PSM knuckles, ikeya inners with 7mm spacers, PSM eccentric rack spacers, stock s14 outters, modified godspeed lca, relocated tension rod location on lca, and modified furtune auto tension rod. you can you ahead and use the pic if you want.

Last edited by JohanM; 08-28-2013 at 09:37 AM..
Old 08-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #5753
dudermagee
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
dudermagee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadacolor View Post
yeah PBM knuckles, ikeya inners with 7mm spacers, stock s14 outters, modified godspeed lca, relocated tension rod location on lca, and modified furtune auto tension rod. you can you ahead and use the pic if you want.
The newer forged pro one? How was the fitment?

So is there any real down side to running drop knuckles?

How much preload do you guys typically run on your springs?
dudermagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #5754
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudermagee View Post
So is there any real down side to running drop knuckles?
as a general rule of thumb, no; there are way too many advantages to bother considering whatever negligible decrements might be involved.

level LCAs.
level tie rods.
decreased ackermann.
lots of low.
lots of angle.
lots of $wag.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #5755
JohanM
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
The newer forged pro one? How was the fitment?

How much preload do you guys typically run on your springs?
these one are stock modified roll center knuckles

im dont have any preload

Last edited by JohanM; 08-28-2013 at 09:38 AM..
Old 08-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #5756
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Hold up guys, PSM knuckles aren't drop knuckles, they are roll center correction knuckles. That's going to get confusing for some people if they don't know the difference.

Drop knuckles lower the car.

Roll center correction knuckles do not.

Some kits are a combo of both.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #5757
JohanM
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Hold up guys, PSM knuckles aren't drop knuckles, they are roll center correction knuckles. That's going to get confusing for some people if they don't know the difference.

thanks for the clarification lol, always get them 2 mix up.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #5758
dudermagee
Nissanaholic!

Quote:

Ah number 5 of the first post makes that a bit confusing then.

I had thought they were the same thing.

So what would be the advantage of one over the other?
Old 08-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #5759
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Ah number 5 of the first post makes that a bit confusing then.

I had thought they were the same thing.

So what would be the advantage of one over the other?
I edited number five for clarity. The advantage to drop knuckles is that you don't need super-short coilovers if you want to really slam the car. Other than that they provide the same performance as roll center correction knuckles.

Obviously for the rear, there aren't really any kits that aren't drop knuckles, as you can't move the rear roll center around too much without moving all the arms together.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #5760
dudermagee
Nissanaholic!

So if I were to get the PBM knuckles, my ride height would be unaffected, but my roll center would be changed by 45mm.

Where if I got the DW ones, my ride would drop about 1 3/4 inches AND change my roll center by 45mm.