Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #481
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
Mannykiller is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
good shit man.

do you think your engine would have been in trouble had you been running gasoline instead of E85?
No doubt, I'd be in a whole different situation had I been on gasoline instead of gasoline.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:41 PM   #482
IIIXziuR
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
IIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Very nice updates, Boss. The car is looking and sounding most excellent.
I love the flooring and walls in your garage!
Old 07-14-2014, 12:27 AM   #483
Milspec180
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Milspec180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i just read all 17 pages!!! it like a book that just ends in the middle! im hooked! adam where did you learn to build cars?!?! i think you learned from the gods! keep it up!
Milspec180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #484
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
No doubt, I'd be in a whole different situation had I been on gasoline instead of gasoline.
lol you know what I mean PUMP GAS
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #485
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
E85 IS pump gas.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #486
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
E85 IS pump gas.

We all knew what he was referring to. Gasoline...Petrol...whatevess
Old 07-14-2014, 12:57 PM   #487
spooled240
Post Whore!

spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
E85 IS pump gas.
Sorry, conventional pump gas
Old 07-14-2014, 01:44 PM   #488
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

haha yeah i was just continuing the fun. i knew what you meant too.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #489
DesertRatz240

DesertRatz240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Dude you must live right around the corner from me haha. But amazing build as it is
DesertRatz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:02 AM   #490
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

^ What streets do you live off and what do you drive?!
Old 07-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #491
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Big Update: "Taming The Wolf"

Well After the last dyno session I learned a few things. The first being....that tiny little thought that jumps to my mind.....is a necessary issue that I should visit and take care of. After a while...all the little things that you've done to the car sometimes stick in your mind. I like to think of it as a sort of 6th sense..... It's all experience based and I really think it only comes from building your own car. But anyways....I had a couple issues to sort and the first was ......"why was the car overboosting."

Well I started the car once I was home......and could see that only the front WG was actually working on free rev. SO I pulled the gate off and inspected it.... It looked fine. I pressed my thumb hard on the gate and it cracked open. Maybe it was just the fact that it was brand new and hadn't really seen any real boost? I don't know. But I re-installed everything and started the car..... Free rev'd and both gates were opening at the same time no problem.

So I made logged a pull up to 4500rpm.....and still OVER-boost. Pulled back into the garage. Ran through all my WG lines... Cleaned thema ll out... Made sure my solenoid was working with the car off....No problem there... But I was using the EFR supplied solenoid.. So I re-visited Andy's (Adaptronic) boost control set up video. Everything looked set up exactly as instructed. So I made another pull......and same thing... OVER Boost!!

Well after 4 hours I was on the edge of throwing my tools against the wall...But instead I took a quick break and went and got some lunch.
Came back and opened the BW EFR training manual. The manual shows that the EBC solenoid was wired and routed correctly. So I was going ever everything in my mind and my MAC valve was set up routing wise.....differently. The instructions looked like it was the same... So I simply set up the EFR solenoid exactly like the Mac valve should've been set up. So if your looking at the EFR... the inlet port from the compressor is all the way to the right. The VENT in the training manual says it's to the far Left...and the middle port is hooked up to gates. WEll thats wrong......at least when running dual gates....(dont know why that would change anything) But it did. Because I swapped the "Vent" with the outlet port and BAM PERFECT BOOST CONTROL.

So as it is now...Inlet port is far right (when looking directly at the EFR from the front) VENT port is the middle port that is pointed directly at you. And the outlet port is Far Left facing the passeger side of the car.

So now that the EBC was working...... I pulled the gates off and went back to my 14lbs WG springs.

After that was figured out......It was time to hit the dyno again. Scheduled an appointment at Lucky Seven Racing in Duarte for 7:30 on Wed the 16th...

Loaded up the car... loading problems
If I don't use these 2x4's the bash bar hits the edge of the trailer and I can't get up...

Drove down last night and stopped at the Chevron in Sylmar for some more E85. I should've drained the tank since I only went through about 5 gallons since the last dyno session. But I didnt... Filled 5.1 gallons of fresh Ethanol..... content was now up to E73......from E62. Better....but Either way...Still Safe....just not optimal. But it'd work.

So I unlaoded the car and got it strapped to the dyno. Everything working perfectly.... Abel Ibarra smoothed the Map a bit and we hit it. First pull made 430whp. Second pull...Abel Worked his magic on the map again... Second pull made 20 More whp at 450WHp...... And by the 3rd Pull We were at 18Lbs of boost controlled electronically and we had started messing with Duty cycle.... So instead of Messing with it further and paying more $$$ for more dyno RnD time... We decided to make a few more pulls just to smooth the map further and Not worry about power. Final Numbers are 462 WHP and 379 Ft Lbs of Tq. The EFR is so responsive it almost feels N/A..but better!!! I'm in love guys and its soooo smooth. Here is the Dyno Video...

Aaron parker Fd3s EFR8374 Drift car dyno tune by Abel Ibarra - Taming the Wolf - YouTube

If anyone knows how to embed the video on here please feel free to repost!!! it would be much appreciated!

Now The dyno chart is a bit off because we started the pull late instead of 100% TPS at a lower RPM to get a full Accurate pull But were going to see if Lucky seven can send the print out of the Last dyno pull. But just to get you guys a nice idea.....here is a Shot of one of our pulls messing with the EBC settings..20lbs at 4K RPM!! And I think we can do better by messing with the Duty Cycle!

Right before we started!!

Anyways, were going to be doing some road tuning just to progress further....but I'm just really grateful I have such a good tuner, and such good friends. I have to thank Elliot White at Turblown/Turbosource and Abel Ibarra for making me stick it out.....and Sticking with me through some rougher patches, and Andy From adaptronic for all the hours of countless conversations about set up and just life in general. And not that they would hear much from it....but to Borg Warner for developing such an incredible Turbo. I would Highly recommend going with an 8374 Internally gated turbo OR externally gated turbo on a Turblown Twin scroll Manifold. The car Rips beyond Anything i've ever felt before....and the dyno Video is a good example of how quickly the turbo comes on ....you can just hear it...and my turblown twin scroll manifold holds perfect boost at 18lbs. I'm over joyed...... The motor is Solid.. SO thanks to Howard Coleman for such a great keg!

More updates soon as I'll be getting the car ready for the Track!!! Thanks for all the support guys!!

Stay Tuned!!!
Old 07-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #492
EvilEgg13
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
EvilEgg13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
This thing is soo sick, I am glad that you got everything sorted out and had a good experience on the dyno!
EvilEgg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #493
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Patiently waiting from some street videos...........
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:11 PM   #494
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Imarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
One amazing FD, sir, but lets get down to the big and simple question...can I have it?!
Old 07-17-2014, 03:21 PM   #495
RB2.5

RB2.5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Patiently waiting for more 40 psi dyno pulls.
RB2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:29 AM   #496
DesertRatz240

Off of 31st W and lancaster blvd right around the corner from LNHS
Old 07-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #497
DesertRatz240

And right now a 93 civic D: trying to sell to and get a 240 this weekend though!
Old 07-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #498
eastcoaststeeze
Zilvia Member

eastcoaststeeze is an unknown quantity at this point
this thing is so killer
eastcoaststeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:22 PM   #499
spooled240
Post Whore!

and these pulls were on gasoline right? lol jk
Old 07-18-2014, 12:41 PM   #500
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

^this guy lol
Old 07-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #501
Ronald_Mcdonald
Zilvia Member

Ronald_Mcdonald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ronald_Mcdonald
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKeNiGs5nSc

Last edited by Ronald_Mcdonald; 07-21-2014 at 02:31 PM..
Ronald_Mcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:35 PM   #502
Freddy
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Freddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The embed the video just select everything after "v=",up to" &feature=youtu.be"

and put it between [YT ][ /YT]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKeNiGs5nSc
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:12 AM   #503
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

^Thanks Freddy, Good trick to know!!

The stuff falling from the ceiling was actually from the Wg's..... some 18 feet up.. The WG's actually put a hole in the insulation up there. I felt bad that it was damaging the ceiling. Anyways, I've been putting some miles on the car and ripping around later at night out away form the city. Thought I was getting pulled over because I kept seeing blue lights flashing in my rear view. ....But then I realized I don't have a rear view mirror yet... and the blue flashes were my Wastegates throwing nice ethanol fed blue flames lol. It's really incredible how much lower EGT's are on Ethanol. At 8400 RPM EGT's were in the 1200's!!! Thats incredibly low.....especially for a Rotary. It's not uncommon to see 1600's.....1700 Degrees F!!! I'm just really amped on the car. I want to hit Balcony in a week or so for some testing but I'm waiting for my sway bar Brackets to come in. I may go just to feel the car fully out on the track...but I really want the car to be set up as best as possible on the first outing. This way I can improve my suspension tuning. I'm running softer spring rates, and although it feels good on the street, without a sway bar on the track... I just know how it's going to feel and it's a bit discouraging. THe sway bar brackets are billet but i'm waiting for the group buy to finish up so I can pay and get the mounts. SOooo in the meantime I need to change these tires.....because they suck. Looking for 235's or 225's at the very least.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:23 PM   #504
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Thanks for the support guys!!

Update:

So A lot has happened since the dyno. Ran into a fuel problem which was a hell of a lot more frustrating than it should've been. Realized I replaced a pressure sensor with the wrong part number sensor that looked exactly the same...and I put it in the same box as other pressure sensors with the same part number.... So it was making my ecu read all wacky pressure readings. ....as low as 2psi...as high as over 100 haha. Tons of headeach......inspection...trouble shooting and diligent re-checking got me to solve the problem. Fuel pressure is now back to being correct. Re-installed my AEM FPR sensor and aux gauge so that I have one that logs into the ecu and another that reads from the same location...JUST so I can keep track of it.
So to keep a long story short... This is what I've done since the dyno:

-Fixed my Radiator ducting with Safety wire till I am able to re-configure the car with New ducting with better/stronger mounting points.
-Ran hard lines for my Independent hydro set up
-Got 4X speed bleeders for my turbo ii calipers so I could bleed it without chucking a monkey wrench against the wall.
-Installed Racefab Dual caliper brackets
-Ordered Pads for them at autozone ...they gave me the wrong ones...had to re-order them. Finally got the right ones and still needed to shave them down considerably in order to get them to mount freely...even with the piston all the way back.
- Installed everything finally and was able to get it to lock pretty good....but still need to re-bleed it once/few times more to ensure it's all the way bled.
-Ordered New front tires. 215's looked sooo kewl..but made the car handle like a giant bag of D
- New fronts are Federal Rs-R's 245/35/18's.
- Mounted new tires
-Had to remove all spacers in front to get them to fit
- Had to shave down the "mazda" Emblem on the calipers to get my wheels to fit without scraping the calipers without spacers
- Had to cut the inside of my fenders ever further to allow room for the larger fronts
- Which exposed more rubbing...so had to cut even more of the inside front bumper lip to get it to clear
- Finally cleared the inside bumper and then hit the weird lip part of the frame that sits on the inside of the kick foot well. .....so I shaved that down..
- Ended up raising the front end of the car up almost a full inch so that I could drive without exploding everything.
- still rubs in areas...but the trade off is the car is on rails now..
- Got a fire extinguisher in...need to figure out where to mount it
- Purchased new end links for my tri-point sway bar... cut them down so that the bar wouldn't sit as low as it did before...
- Purchased wide foot billet sway bar brackets ..group-buy here on the forum. But those won't come till next week sometime.
Fixed my Tri point sway in general...If you guys remember it was all bent out of sorts from running over that lipped fence railing.
Used a mallet to get everything back straight. Was surprised nothing cracked. But won't be running the sub frame mounts for much longer....just till the wide foot mounts come in.
-Went back in and helicoiled my secondary rail mounts... those had stripped out as well. You know they really don't need as much tq as it may seem. The injectors should rotate with no binding of any sort...and I think a common mis-conception is that they must be smashed in there. DON"T over tighten your rail mounts!!! secure!!! but not smashing the injectors!!
Added some heat reflective tape to my D-max hood vents. I really love this hood.
- my ignition switch broke...haha. purchased a push start button and arm switch that I want to install tonight but I'm not sure I'll have time.
- Changed the Oil again
-Checked alignment in the rear... seems Spot on..but the car still pulls to the right
- Checked alignment in the front... It was a bit off.. fixed it.
- Ran all new wiring to the AEM fuel Pressure sensor and gauge...previous owner did an excellent job hiding twisted together power/grounds/signals. Thought there was something wrong with it till I completely pulled it apart.
-put fanboi stickers on my windshield.
-Cleaned my fuel filter twice (paranoid with all this internet jargon about Ethanol and it cleaning out gasoline residue left previously)
- Did a few really nice long burnouts

AND.....Signed up for the Mazda Fest Track Day tomorrow =-)

Corresponding pictures!!

this exploded because I accidently installed my return in tank right up against the sidewall...pressure backed up and this happened. Could've been a loot worse....and good thing I simply turned the pumps on and didn't start the car....or worse..was driving the car when it happened.

on any given night...I may just decide to clean something up that I just wasn't....as...satisfied with......as I wanted to be.

Lambo Door kit haha.... May or may not install this. Anyone interested in taking it off my hands?!

trouble shooting....Aeromotive FPR diaphragm...this is over 8 years old... worked flawlessly over its life span of my two cars...along with however many set ups its been on before when I got it used. Quality!

Just Drift track day... Horse Thief Mile....cant wait to get out there!!

Making hard lines with sub par tools... a socket..DOH..worked though ;-)

duct fix

Late night Ethanol run
Old 08-17-2014, 10:07 AM   #505
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Update:

Mazfest 2014

I was able to get out to Mazfest this year...and signed up for the track day as well. I was able to get my sway bar installed but still was only running the strapped mounts that attatched to the engine sub frame.... So the car felt good out there...but I know it was flexing quite a bit.. I'm hoping my widefoot mounts make a positive difference once installed.

Attendance was low.... was able to see Armenrx out there... he's really fast!!! Alex Rodriguez came out and even took some sick photos of me out on the track! Shout out's to Jason Hite for coming out and everyone else that was cool enough to say whats up!!!

I had a complete blast.... the car Ripped!!!! Ran through 40 Gallons of Ethanol, 2 Sets of rears... 5 Sessions on streets of willow....and 5 sessions on Balcony getting the feel of the car in drift. Came in a bit hot once I was getting used to the car later on in the day and went off track up on balcony up and over the gravel hump.... Thank god I saved it.. But that could've been really really bad... Loved the Federal Rs-R's (245's) up front... Dilante's (245's) in the rear were killing my track times but weren't completely horrible. Spun about 6-7 times before I realized I wasn't hitting full lock in transition.....but my tires were binding up on my headlight support... Later on in the day I was able to let the wheel spin..and then once it hit that rub point..force it past that and hold drift longer. Car loves being revved.. Feels really good sliding...
Key points...
110 Degrees F out outside in our pits...
On the track my car never saw over 89 degrees C!!!!!! Logs to prove it =-)
In drift the track was low speed so I saw 91 Degrees C twice...but as soon as I started moving... temps drop down no problem. Guys I'm really really pleased that I'm able to Beat on it in the heat and the car not get hot. "Trust in Ethanol".."Trust in Ducting." I didn't even have my water injection hooked up. How awesome is that!!
Here are some pics!

Ready for fun!

The night before the event I sat in my car just to take it all in...while I was getting out I put some weight on the steering wheel to brace myself out of the car and the wheel plunged down about 4 inches.... I was like....WTF.... Turns out the steering column bracket was only tacked on.. totally forgot about this. Sucks it was never fixed. So I used a coupler clamp to secure it.. Held just fine for the time being.

Loaded up everything.. 15-20 Miles to streets of willow. Fit the following:
2x rpf1's with tires
2x Spare tires
a floor jack
a big tool box/supplies
2x floor jacks
my computer bag
small ice chest ALLL in the fd hahaha

swelfie

our pits (missing Armen's beautiful Red fd) he was out on track.

Track pics

Fireballs of joy

More Pics and hopefully vids to come!!

Stay tuned!!
Old 08-20-2014, 09:01 AM   #506
Royal_T
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Royal_T is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Badass man
Old 08-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #507
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Imarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Love it! Is she getting a fresh coat of paint?
Old 08-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #508
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Standard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud of
awesome! gotta be a good feeling man!
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #509
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_T View Post
Badass man
Thanks!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imarvin240 View Post
Love it! Is she getting a fresh coat of paint?
Yes!!! i'm just throwing things around in my head about it though... because Just one track day and my passenger side fender is already cracked from wheel arch to the fender vent... all the way through. So I'm wondering if I should skimp out further and do the bodywork on my own... then have a one day shoot some black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard View Post
awesome! gotta be a good feeling man!
Sure is... feels great!!!
Old 08-23-2014, 10:11 AM   #510
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

washed......ready for sorting!!