Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #451
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
Mannykiller is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
lookin good so far. I have a turbonetics manual boost controller hooked up to an external wastegate like you have in your diagram up there and it's solid, no spikes or anything.
Good to hear!! I'm working on tying up these wg lines asap. I hate when I have to wait for fittings. But it's better than paying 20 bucks per fitting at pep boys etc.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:14 AM   #452
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
Good to hear!! I'm working on tying up these wg lines asap. I hate when I have to wait for fittings. But it's better than paying 20 bucks per fitting at pep boys etc.
Where are you getting your fittings? Pep boys doesn't even stock the ones I need anymore..
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #453
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Usually order them from Summit. I've been having bad luck with jegs. But summit brand fittings are pretty good. Just stay away from the larger fittings because they're 90's are really like 85's haha
Old 06-10-2014, 10:05 AM   #454
the-rusty-240
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
the-rusty-240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What did you order from andover? I live there and i dont know of any tuner shops around here.
the-rusty-240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:26 PM   #455
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

BIG Shloooong Update:

ALrighty.....where to start where to start..

Well over the past couple weeks I have been so busy working, wiring, Moving, and making major progress on my car.....I sometimes amaze myself at what I can accomplish in a day. But lets stick to this build. The car is in excellent shape. So I'll try to give as much detail as possible but this may take a few posts.

Ok, so I needed to finish my WG lines...

progress

All Exactly the same length VAC line to Tee from gates to map to compressor etc

Came out very nice...I love it
Manual gate pressure is set at 14.5 PSI

Wrapped Down pipe

Recieved my SFI roll cage padding from Pegasus auto. This stuff is very nice. Comes adhesive backed as well. I still needed a couple zip ties but check it!

Also mounted my cabin light and sun roof control

Continued:

Found a Brass Tee fitting...and then found an additional larger one since this one but here it is..you get the idea..

Car was up and running N/A and decided to start sorting it out. Leaks, tweaks, ride height, etc etc etc. But got some gas to break in the motor. Love this shot..

Drove her out to a local drift event to hang with the buddies. Temps are in check!! love it. Accidently destroyed my ubber cool stiffie Tri point mounts rolling over a gate rail. Grabbed it and taco'd it completely. This is a good reason to get widefoot mounts. and lower shorter end links.

pulled my reg oil pressure and fuel pressure sensors and installed new FFE 150 PSI sensors. These things are rad...Go check them out!!!

Installed

yikes...one clean car....came in a little to hot on a sweeping bender... Tube rear end def did it's job though.

Buddies miata interior....LEGIT. Love everything about this car...makes over 400whp on E85....gets me Motivated!! Lets Go!!! Had a blast at the thunder on the lot drift even...even though the car wasn't ready... I had a good time hanging with some buddies....got to watch Ryandriftingfat tear it up ALLLLL weekend 100% committed... Looking good brotha!!!!!

Made a charge pipe.. Didn't like it.... and it hit the hood badly... so I scrapped it.

here it was installed..

So I made another one... Had my buddy weld it out

Started on my WG pipes
Had my buddy weld them out as well..

Pretty much I would make cuts at my house.... clean them up and make alignment marks. Then he would simply line them up to my marks and weld them out. Couldn't thank him enough!
Old 06-20-2014, 01:29 PM   #456
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

COntinued:

I think I deleted the pic of the two pipes completed ....crap. Sorry guys....but I've installed and un installed these bastards like 5 times.. It's a royal pain in the ass. I wish the Clamps although theyre excellent... would be easier to fasten tight.
oh wait photobucket is just slow... here you go!

Installed to double check

And because they woudln't fit...it was now time to give them room to breath!!

theres no real way to do this without making a mess....

mmmmmmm......I love it!!!

Gave it the Wolfe treatment..haha

whoooeeeeee

Wrapped the dump pipes

Continued:

Got to work on the Turbo 90 degree bend into the I/C

.....well that came out nice..

Left an in car living will in case of an emergency....not that I plan on anything bad ever happening but you can never be too prepared.

still needed work but Progressing and pretty much complete....
This is with my new Black Vibrant 2" to 3" expander silicon coupler and my 3" on the cold side ...also vibrant couplers.

Spent more time under the car to install my zuka stile w/g tunes one last time hopefully

Drank some goooooood espresso... by far the best i've ever had...

Picked up a spare set of Lug nuts from a buddy with a sick rx8... thanks quintin!

..ok ok.. back to progress...
Pipes wrapped and installed..... this stuff is NASTY... I advise everyone to always wear long sleeves and wear a face mask when installing it. Burns when it gets on your skin..and I was wearing gloves. It even went through my denim jeans... itched sooo bad.

found a slight inj leak. Somehow swapped the wrong o-rings in my id 2ks. Swapped them to the correct ones and no more leaks!!

Made a list as well...

Got my Zeitronix Ethanol content analyzer in...this thing is sick. Can't wait to make the switch. SHould come in handy as well!!

Been making street pulls with ALLLL the help in the world from Elliot.

This turbo is absolutely incredible...I've honestly never felt anything like it!!!
First selfie I've ever taken ......so gheeeey

God I love this thing....
Old 06-20-2014, 08:57 PM   #457
ehhhregartless
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
ehhhregartless is making a name for him/her selfehhhregartless is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Garage Hero indeed, you do some really inspiring work.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:59 AM   #458
Royal_T
Zilvia Addict

Royal_T is an unknown quantity at this point
F**Ken love it.. keep it up
Old 06-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #459
nickmat619

Trader Rating: (0)
nickmat619 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So stoked to see this thing up an running!! Your work looks amazing and the quality of this build is on another level! Great job man
nickmat619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #460
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Did some street tuning on the car yesterday and .....all I can say is that this thing is an absolute monster. We stopped and decided to change the wastegate springs down from 14.5 ...to 7lb springs because we were hitting 15 lbs of boost @ 3800 RPM with only partial throttle!!!! So we called it for the day till I pull the springs out.... This new Borg Warner EFR seriously whips online like nothing I've ever felt before!! I'll be making some small changes and making sure all my Ethanol gear is working then hitting the dyno hopefully as soon as possible. I need a nice dyno.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #461
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Update:

Well I got sick and tired of waiting for people to make time to finish the work I paid them for. So a couple friends helped me weld out the dash bar. FINALLY I was able to mount my dash and route wiring.

Melting paint off for surface prep

Mix master Mike welding out the dash bar. Love our spark shield? extra flame retardant coated cardboard box..

sometimes i'm amazed at the photo quality from my Galaxy s4

Also got sick of feeling paranoid and the last couple threads of the top most bolt from my excessive LIM stripped out. So pulled it off and went and purchased a helicoil kit. Taped of the ports to be safe. The job was damn easy.. Just make sure you clean thread it in straight. Everything after that is cheese easy.

This was my first time doing this...but anyone could really do it as long as you have a bit of patience and don't rush things

Finished

I also got an IRP 140 AMP alternator. This really is a good mod for any fd IMO. can't beat 14.1 V at idle.... Dual Bosch 044's 2x 10" oil cooler fans... and HID's drawing all sorts of power. This thing keeps me charged!! Next to the oem unit.

Installed my interior center consol...had to trim the shiiii out of it to get the Hydro to fit nicely

Complete with dash etc.

ANd finally...I was really not so comfortable with the heat coming from the turbo/downpipe area and my electrical running right over the top of it. After a bit of a cruise it was very hot...so I got some giant velcro DEI heat sleeving and made it work. This should do the trick...this stuff isn't cheap by any means... $$$

sunset

I'm in need of a turbo exhaust heat shield. As soon as I can get signal from my FLEX fuel sensor the car is ready for the dyno. Been in the process of moving along with work and getting this thing ready for heavy pulls....so we'll see when I can get a shield and head down for some dyno numbers. Stay tuned. More updates soon!!!
Old 06-25-2014, 12:02 PM   #462
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Black R is an unknown quantity at this point
Subbed for rotary goodness.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #463
yetijeff
Zilvia Addict

yetijeff is an unknown quantity at this point
this thread is epic. just finished reading front to back. amzing attention to detail. good job man
yetijeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #464
ryandriftingfat
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
ryandriftingfat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Next time you wrap something, wet it a little. It'll get a tighter grip and keep those fiberglass threads from going everywhere.

What's with the will? It's behind your hub right... like not easy to find/get to?
ryandriftingfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:27 PM   #465
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandriftingfat View Post
Next time you wrap something, wet it a little. It'll get a tighter grip and keep those fiberglass threads from going everywhere.

What's with the will? It's behind your hub right... like not easy to find/get to?

I actuallyd didn't think of that....im sure this stuff won't last long standing up to rotary heat. But I sprayed it with water with my water bottle and your supposed to let it idle after that so it tightens up with the heat. It worked...but i'll do that next time for sure man. Thanks for the advice.

Correct witht he will. Not that I ever plan on leaving the earth soon haha..but i've allways been cautious and want to make sure I leave directions to what I want etc. The Will is not behind my wheel...it's inbetween my actual hub and shaft...where you connect the hub to the steering shaft =-)
Old 07-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #466
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Small Update!!

Don't know if I posted these yet or not but I've been really busy moving, working, etc etc etc.

Was able to get the interior back in.....dash installed etc.

Didn't like how hot it was getting this close to my vital electronic lifelines so I got an expensive as sin -16 DEI heat wrap with velcro on it. Worked like a charm =-)

Complete!

Was able to install the Zeitronix Ethanol Content Analyzer guage as well =-) I love these digital electronics man...i'll tell you!!! I'll never go back to analog.

I've already decided I'll be doing a fully custom alum Guage Insert instead of the current one. I need to add an Oil temp gauage, Nice Boost Gauge, additional Water Temp Gauge, ....so I need more room!!!

Picture of my new home.....and the Wolfs new cozy cage

she loves it too..

dads old rambo ii knife...

Stay Tuned!!!! Updates soon!!
[IMG]http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy325/mannykiller/FD%20Build/20140704_123304_zpsp2a4k6ux.jpg[
Old 07-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #467
Ekaptn
Leaky Injector

Ekaptn is an unknown quantity at this point
congratz on the new house, garage looks awesome. this thread motivates me to take it step by step and not rush a project car. even if it takes couple years. good job man. u got an insta?
Ekaptn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #468
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

^ thanks brotha. Yea rushing never works out imo. My ig is: AAPARKAH

Thanks for the support
Old 07-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #469
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Small Update:

Was able to install my Turbosource Inconel Heat shield. And so now.....My engine bay is 100% complete for the time being. Meaning... some Real time driving decided to put something to the test and break it.... I eased the car up to about 115mph the other night and it ripped the mounts on my Radiator duct rght off. The duct is still in tact...but it no longer seals. Since all the duct work is held on by 5x fasteners...and the two that really held the radiator duct on...broke. the IC duct no longer seals the way it was before either. So i'm going to go ahead and re-do it. I think I may just exhaust tape the living piss out of it for the time being, But even not sealed....the car doesn't get hot...and still cools down rapidly in the 98 degree desert heat.

Turbosource Inconel Borg Warner EFR8374 Externally gated heat shield. Fits like a damn glove. It was expensive...But it's really nice guys. And nothing else will hold up to Rotary Heat. So for the price and labor it would cost me to constantly replace header wrap and the fact that the heat WILL effect my Afr's... THe inconel shield is really worth it.

And Lastly..... Here is the Ethanol compatible Pre-mix I ordered from Amazon. It looks a bit different from what other people are using but on the amazon reviews there were a few people saying they were using it on their turbo rotaries. Can anyone confirm that this is in fact the right stuff? Says pre-mix on it, ...just Want to be certain this is the correct stuff.
[IMG]http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy325/mannykiller/FD%20Build/IMG_20140705_133755_zpslzqvykfw.jpg
Old 07-07-2014, 11:45 AM   #470
JohanM
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
JohanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
dude this car is amazingly awesome hahaha, good fucking job
JohanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #471
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
KoukiMonsta is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I always like when you have updates.

new garage looks sweet, dont make a mess of that floor!
KoukiMonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #472
Royal_T
Zilvia Addict

Royal_T is an unknown quantity at this point
Love the update and dope garage floor.. Any more pics of it..
Old 07-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #473
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Small Update:

Gearing up for the dyno... Double, tripple, quadrouple checking the car and systems.

Spent a good 4 hours on the car last night after a conventional to synthetic blend oil change. Stupid oil change took me an hour and a half. 5 min to dump oil from the pan.... and an hour and 20 min to pump the existing stuff out of my coolers and lines. My harbor freight transfer pump needs to be replaced. What a pain though. ANyways, changed to synthetic blend, and measured out and did quick math to fill my premix bottles with Benol 2-stroke oil for the switch to E85 or "Flex." I did all the measurements based of 12 gallons of fuel at 1.5 Oz per gallon because for one.....we hardly ever run the tank all the way down....two..I don't have a fuel level sensor, and three.... its all my little travel containers would hold haha.
Fixed a small down pipe to mid pipe exhaust leak
tightened some charge pipe coupler clamps
FINALLY switched out a cheap rubber Wastegate line for the vibrant heater line with dei heat barrier on it.....
and took her for a little spin
Geeze this car feels good so far. I really hope all this hard work pays off this time.
More updates soon!
old

New Wastegate line

Stay tuned!!! more updates to come!!!
Old 07-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #474
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_T View Post
Love the update and dope garage floor.. Any more pics of it..
This is actually not my house... its my roomate Ryan's place. But I'll take some more pics of it today!. This stuff is Prime though.... Love it. Holds up to compression really well too...jack stands leave no indent.... floor jack rolls just as good as ever as well. I'll do this to my garage floors when I get my own place one day as well.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:12 PM   #475
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
what type of flooring is it?
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #476
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Update:

"A night at the dyno"

A couple nights ago I hit the dyno with the Wolf. It was a trip that I was looking forward to and absolutely dreading. Reason being is for one, the only thing other than constant reminders of how the dyno will expose every single tiny issue with your set up........is i've never had a good experience. The Effort to get the car to this point on your own and then get down their with fuel and a car that is ready to make pulls is really no small feat. I took an extra week to ensure I had everything ready with the car. But Like I said, I was excited.......and then not at all because the only thing that has ever come from dyno sessions is knowledge that is already abundant in terms of "to do's" and "Not to do's."

Anyways, over the extra week I prepped the car entirely, made the swap from convention motor oil to synthetic, double checked all lines and fittings, exhaust clamps, electronics, logging, and you name it. And even though I did all of this, I had still not run the car on E85, and I still had not checked my Electronic Boost control. So the day was Wednesday July 9th and I had an appointment at Lucky Seven Racing in Duarte to hit the dyno. My Tuner, And one of the most sincere and understanding people I've ever met: Abel Ibarra. You know, it takes a lot for one to admit they were wrong, or undstand that fault was your own doing. And after this last dyno session and the blown motor, Abel contacted me constantly to get me to understand a few things. He handled me delicately and let me vent, and even gave me time to cool off...per say. He'd check up on my build process and when I had gotten the new motor again ....what I like to call My "Mentor Team" which include Elliot white, Andy Wyatt, Howard Coleman...and a few other people without knowing have turned me into someone who is able to understand that it's not really about being right or wrong...EVER in motorsports. It simply "IS" ....."DOES" or "DOESN'T" work for a reason. The last motor was in fact my fault. It is the owners responsibility to check timing etc. Abel understood the heavy hit I took and he stuck with me, even though I was really pissed off at everything and everyone. But my mentors all stuck with me and helped me through the process of it all. Anyways......enough EMO crap.

All I can say is I'm very thankful to have such great guys helping me out. I met Abel at the dyno on wed at 7pm. I had filled up 3 5 gal jugs with Ethanol....as well as my entire 15Gal touring gas tank haha. I actually really like the fact that my car is a touring model. It was cool to watch the zeitronix ethanol content analyzer read the content of the Flex fuel. Looked quite low.... E63, but no matter it is still liquid diamonds in my eyes. I added my pre measured pre-mix for the 15 gal tank @ 1.5 OZ per gallon....and a little bit more since we were hitting the dyno and Fris and the crew at Lucky seven helped me unload the car. I forgot how easy it was to set up running Ethanol in the Adaptronic Software and I kept asking myself......"waite....just start the car?!!!" And yea..... I just turned the key and Brap! Car cranks to life. Klotz Benol Castor oil smells so good. Really distinct! I love it. Anyways, We loaded up the car and Got started Immediately.

We did some light load stuff for about 5 min and to make sure everything was once again, "sound."

Everything checked out and so we made a light throttle partial pull. Car felt good, and the EFR8374 was like a pissed off chimp..... Just acheing for more.

We hit 9 lbs early in the partial throttle pull and we were ready to get ripping. I had installed 7lb springs in both Turbosmart Comp gate 40's and so we were ok to get ripping.

First pull abruptly ended closer to 4800 RPM full throttle and the car cut off. As if it hit a limiter. Abel looked at me like "WTF was that." Me on the other hand.....I was just like a timid little weirdo sooooooo obsessed with set up and the "Sound" of my motor to ensure everything was ok that I looked at him with a blank stare. AFR's were solid, as well as all other vitals and so we pulled up the log... ALL looked great and the guys watching were all giving us the thumbs up. Of course I was just thinking that everything was going to go wrong...... and that if there was a breeze off... my motor would blow. But thats kinda just what happens when you go through such detriment. Anyways....... I flipped on the Electronic Boost control and we made another PULL.. Car Loaded UP like a pissed off Bull and All the sudden BAM...... SAME THING! Pulled up the log. Motor sounds good...still feels good, Log shows no knock...Vitals all good.....

SCROLL ALLL the way to the Right and THe log shows we were hitting Boost Cut?!!!!

Abel looked at me...... I looked at Abel....... And Both of us broke into Giant Shit eating Grins. The car Hit 29PSI at 4750RPM!!!!

CHecked the Logs.....Map showed logged it.

But there was a problem. ....and we definitely needed to resolve the issue. AFR's weren't showing up in the live gauges and so with that..... we decided to Call it quites for this tuning session due to the AFR's and the fact that we definitely had a Boost control problem.

SO Instead of paying $$ on dyno time to resolve issues, we decided to take the car home and fix it. That way we could get it working correctly and be 100% ready.

As we were pulling the car off the dyno We noticed that one of my Gates wasn't opening at free rev. The Rear Rotor Wastegate wasn't opening. I was sure it was my fault in either Line routing or when I swapped Wastegate springs a few days prior. Anyways... Check it out guys. I couldn't believe the Response...and how hard the Car loaded up.

Overall time spent on the dyno was an hour and a half including loading and un-loading. Not a bad session. I"m ecstatic though guys!!! Honestly... I'll never run another rotary on anything other than Ethanol again. We hit 29LBS of boost due to a WG sticking shut and zero problems.

"Trust in E85" .....a sticker I'll most likely be getting made.

Abel looked at me and said "Dude, I need a 9180!!" I laughed, and then stopped all together as he was telling me my car could make 700 whp. That won't happen.....and thats definitely not the goal at all haha...but it was cool to hear him say that. Goal stays the same. A hell of a powerband between 400-480whp and as much Tq as we can muster up. But 437 Ft lbs is what it made at 4750RPM.....so I'm thinking I"ll be happy no matter. '

Anyways, I gotta cut it short so I can ge tback to working on the car!!! Stay tuned for more updates and know that they will be coming in!!!!

I'm Excited!!!!
Old 07-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #477
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fbx...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #478
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Standard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Awesome updates! Man, this is a great build. Kudos to you sir, this thread just puts me in a good mood!
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:20 PM   #479
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
good shit man.

do you think your engine would have been in trouble had you been running gasoline instead of E85?
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:29 AM   #480
RB2.5

RB2.5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ugh overboosting to 2 bar would blow any engine on pump gas.
RB2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote