Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #4741
mikerbike
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
mikerbike is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by delado View Post
Right. Well that will take care of the rear. Now my concern is the front.
I'm sure he was talking about the MAX Pro knuckles for the front.

EDIT:
http://www.gtfactory.jp/cms/page.php?15

Dan also said he can make the knuckles with the 40mm roll center correction but leave the tir rod pickup alone, if you don't want to change your steering ratio.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #4742
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I'm aware that the PBM Pro Knuckle can be made to a grip/normal spec - I actually have PBM Arms/Knuckles/Everything on My 1J S13, I was just looking to see if there was an alternative...

Maybe I'll just live with the bump steer for now and look into doing knuckles next spring/summer.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #4743
delado
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
delado is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefro526 View Post
I'm aware that the PBM Pro Knuckle can be made to a grip/normal spec - I actually have PBM Arms/Knuckles/Everything on My 1J S13, I was just looking to see if there was an alternative...

Maybe I'll just live with the bump steer for now and look into doing knuckles next spring/summer.
I'm trying to stir away from having to modify, or purchase drop knuckles.

I'm just trying to avoid premature tire wear and right now my fronts get eaten up suuuuuuper quick. I'm not into grip/drift at the moment. What would be the difference from running spl outters vs. the drop knuckles besides of course adding more angle and all that other cool drifting stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
That's because everyone with a zenki feels sorry for themselves and they find commonality in the fact that there's no hope for making them look remotely good.
delado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #4744
mikerbike
Zilvia Junkie

mikerbike is an unknown quantity at this point
I would also like the best of everything without paying for any of it. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #4745
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
I'm trying to stir away from having to modify, or purchase drop knuckles.

I'm just trying to avoid premature tire wear and right now my fronts get eaten up suuuuuuper quick. I'm not into grip/drift at the moment. What would be the difference from running spl outters vs. the drop knuckles besides of course adding more angle and all that other cool drifting stuff.
I just saw your earlier post, I'm not sure why I didn't read it more thoroughly before.

How low is your S14? Mine isn't 'slammed' by any means, but it's fairly low/lower than some cars and I wasn't confident that I could align it well enough with stock parts, especially in the rear.

I'd suggest that you look into getting the car aligned first and then deal with any issues that are still there. Prior to getting my S14 aligned, it was nearly impossible to drive at any speed in excess of 45 miles an hour unless the road was completely smooth. Any little bit of a bump in the road would cause the car to want to steer in a random direction. After the alignment, the car is much more predictable and smooth, with just a slight amount of bump steer, not enough to be unbearable but enough to bother me. My front suspension is all OEM or OEM replacement stuff, excluding coil overs and we were able to get everything except for the camber (due to wheel width and chassis asymmetry) to align within OEM specs - the rear on the other hand has adjustable RUCAs and Toe Arms, which were enough to get the toe straightened out and dial out most of the Negative Camber. IIRC, my car is currently at something like 0* Toe all around, 2.5* of camber front and rear and 7* of castor up front.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #4746
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
huffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Every problem with tire wear comes to be an alignment is needed. The shop you take it to should have your cars alignment specs and as long as the toe is around 0 you will not have a problem.

^^^That alignment sounds good. Caster somewhere between 7 and 8*. Toe zero. And whatever camberyou want for front.

Last edited by huffandpuff00; 10-30-2012 at 05:48 AM..
huffandpuff00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #4747
delado
Zilvia FREAK!

delado is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks a bunch for the tips guys. I'll just replace the inner and outer tie-rods with oem (moog), replace rack bushings, get spl camber and toe arms, and take my shit to the alignment shop. thefro562 my s14 is not hella slammed by no means. It's on Stance Coils and on 18's running 255/35/18 - 225/40/18 and just flush. No rim tucking here. Also, how do the dial in the caster? Are your tension rods and traction rods adjustable? Or were they OEM?
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
That's because everyone with a zenki feels sorry for themselves and they find commonality in the fact that there's no hope for making them look remotely good.
delado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #4748
RastaS14
Leaky Injector

RastaS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
^Caster is dialed in by way of adjustable Tension Rods. I have SPL Titaniums. They are great, very beefy and lightweight.
RastaS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #4749
Z33dori
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
Z33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
HOT POCKETS?
Old 10-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #4750
KA240SX808
Zilvia Addict

KA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to KA240SX808 Send a message via MSN to KA240SX808

I see provisions for ABS. Hopefully that'll be an option
* PigNose SMIC Grille/Vent P# 62697-44F00 *
LMK What you guys got
KA240SX808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #4751
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Thanks a bunch for the tips guys. I'll just replace the inner and outer tie-rods with oem (moog), replace rack bushings, get spl camber and toe arms, and take my shit to the alignment shop. thefro562 my s14 is not hella slammed by no means. It's on Stance Coils and on 18's running 255/35/18 - 225/40/18 and just flush. No rim tucking here. Also, how do the dial in the caster? Are your tension rods and traction rods adjustable? Or were they OEM?
I have stock Tension rods for now, luckily my caster wasn't all messed up. I don't like the idea of adjusting caster from the tension rod anyway, see my reason below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RastaS14 View Post
^Caster is dialed in by way of adjustable Tension Rods. I have SPL Titaniums. They are great, very beefy and lightweight.
Caster can be adjusted to some degree with tension rods, but it isn't really the 'Right' way to do it, especially if you have stock lower control arms.

Basically, when you adjust caster at the tension rod you start twisting the bushing, which can cause it to bind/wear prematurely, etc. If you look at your front suspension from the bottom up, you'll see what I'm talking about. (if you've got spherical in your LCA, ignore this)

I prefer to use the tension rod to control the position of the wheel in the wheel well and that's it. For caster adjustment, I like to use the upper strut mount. Some coils have caster/camber plates for the upper mount and if they don't, you can get away with rotating the plate 120* or so and adjusting caster from there. (messes with your camber though, so it's not the ideal solution...)
Old 10-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #4752
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Motary
I like how max guys upload lotsa pics and share only one, I tend to change last nr on their link to see more

They look neat, a lot like ones I made

I've inspired something
Motary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:15 PM   #4753
nieko
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
IIRC they used the same specs as their own cut and weld knuckles. These are just forged. Regardless, good shit!
nieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:03 AM   #4754
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

GKTECH is making a name for him/her selfGKTECH is making a name for him/her self
Our pre buy is now live at $545 + shipping for non Australian customers (our listed price of $599 on the website is including tax which will get removed when you list your country as international)

We've finally been able to figure our new website out and the pre buy for the knuckles is now live at $599 including GST for our Aussie customers and $545 excluding tax for our international customers.

We're still doing some final tests before we go into the final production which will take around 2-3 weeks and then production will take around 3-4 weeks so we're expecting the knuckles to be available in around 5-7 weeks time however we will not be rushing our tests as if there is an improvement to be made, we will not compromise the product (as seen with the tweaks that we made to the V1)

We've ended up with 4 different steering arms, 2 different brake caliper mounts and you can choose whether you're running S13 or S14/S15 spindle, S13 or S14/S15 ball joint and either S13 (12mm) or S14/S15 (14mm) strut mount inserts. These are certainly not a 'one size fits all' knuckle like others on the market. These are unique in many ways are are FAR superior to any offering from any brand.

The knuckles can be ordered here and are on a first come first served basis. We are making 50 pairs in the first batch but we have had MASSIVE amounts of interest from all around the world:

These are a slightly revised version of our initial prototypes seen here:

Last edited by GKTECH; 10-31-2012 at 06:40 PM..
GKTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:13 AM   #4755
wawazat8402
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (14)
wawazat8402 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wawazat8402
GKTech,

PMd you for preorder info.
wawazat8402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:53 AM   #4756
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
drop spindles for eeeeeeeveryone!
Old 10-31-2012, 10:54 AM   #4757
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
GKTech,

Just so I am on the same page, the brake caliper mount, ball joint and shock mount will only come one way as ordered. BUT the tie rod connection arm will be changeable later? So say my car serves double duty as track and drift, I could switch out the connection arm depending on my purpose for the car?

And as far as determining what to order, if I currently run S14 fronts on my S13 chassis, with inserts to mount S13 coilovers to the spindles, I would simply order S14 setup with S13 shock mount?
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #4758
TTnickdizzle
Zilvia Member

TTnickdizzle is an unknown quantity at this point
With all this aftermarket support coming out for the S chassis, someone please tell me again why i shouldnt ditch my Z32s double wishbone front suspension out for a macphersion front....
TTnickdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:30 PM   #4759
IThaJokaI
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
IThaJokaI is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to IThaJokaI Send a message via MSN to IThaJokaI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTnickdizzle View Post
With all this aftermarket support coming out for the S chassis, someone please tell me again why i shouldnt ditch my Z32s double wishbone front suspension out for a macphersion front....

Because GKtech is also going to be making a steering knuckle for R/Z/G chassis.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #4760
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
Gk tech how much does the spindle drop the car?
Old 10-31-2012, 05:35 PM   #4761
My$800S14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
My$800S14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It looks like the 2nd from the bottom tie rod bracket has negative Ackerman, is it just an illusion, and this arm is actually designed for zero Ackerman? Also it's really cool that this design appears to have hieght adjustment in the tie rod bracket.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-31-2012, 06:05 PM   #4762
mr2thomas
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
mr2thomas is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Pretty sure its for the opposite end. You can swap them and make it negative ackerman if you want.
mr2thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:33 PM   #4763
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

GKTECH is making a name for him/her selfGKTECH is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
GKTech,

Just so I am on the same page, the brake caliper mount, ball joint and shock mount will only come one way as ordered. BUT the tie rod connection arm will be changeable later? So say my car serves double duty as track and drift, I could switch out the connection arm depending on my purpose for the car?

And as far as determining what to order, if I currently run S14 fronts on my S13 chassis, with inserts to mount S13 coilovers to the spindles, I would simply order S14 setup with S13 shock mount?
The only thing that can't be changed out at a later date is the spindle (it's shrink fit into the knuckle).

Everything else is modular and can be purchased on its own.

The steering arms will be around $99/pair and they'll be available on their own in the coming days (we're currently in the States for SEMA and have limited access to a computer but will update the website with these items ASAP)

What you've said about yours setup sounds right and you can just choose which ball joint you're running (the guy before me installed S13 ball joints on my S15 and never noticed, luckly I did as they didn't seat properly)
Old 10-31-2012, 06:34 PM   #4764
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IThaJokaI View Post
Because GKtech is also going to be making a steering knuckle for R/Z/G chassis.
We're just finishing off the design for the rear knuckles now and as soon as that is done we'll move across to the R/Z chassis.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:35 PM   #4765
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by godrifttoday View Post
Gk tech how much does the spindle drop the car?
The spindle has a 40mm drop
Old 10-31-2012, 06:39 PM   #4766
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by My$800S14 View Post
It looks like the 2nd from the bottom tie rod bracket has negative Ackerman, is it just an illusion, and this arm is actually designed for zero Ackerman? Also it's really cool that this design appears to have hieght adjustment in the tie rod bracket.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
The second arm from the bottom offers zero ackerman (not negative).

The design does allow for height adjustment. Originally we had infite adjustment up and down 20mm's each way however we've simplified the design a little.

Refer to these images below:

Old 10-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #4767
Johnny_K
Zilvia Member

Johnny_K is an unknown quantity at this point
R those new pbm knuckes?
Johnny_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #4768
IThaJokaI
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKTECH View Post
We're just finishing off the design for the rear knuckles now and as soon as that is done we'll move across to the R/Z chassis.
I know and I cannot wait for both. I will be picking up front/rear Z setups for my G50 Q45.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:17 PM   #4769
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
GKTech,

You may have already cleared this previously but will this spindle have provisions for an ABS sensor?
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:48 PM   #4770
IThaJokaI
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
GKTech,

You may have already cleared this previously but will this spindle have provisions for an ABS sensor?
If you look at the picture in post #4754, you can see the provision for the ABS sensor in both of the brake brackets shown.