Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #4681
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
It is a bit of a balancing act in that you want the bar to be strong enough to resist small impacts " rubbing", but in a bigger one you want it to give and absorb energy without destroying the chassis.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #4682
dpritchard4
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
dpritchard4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
so how do you guys make exhaust manifold flanges for your projects?? im wondering if there is a place where you get your dimms for your cnc program or if you take measurements yourself. im current a MET student who is in a class running FAE analysis on solidwork files. i would like to design a sr or kat manifold but cant find a place with dimmensions made for the flanges. any ideas?
dpritchard4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #4683
NismoPlsr
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (21)
NismoPlsr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpritchard4 View Post
so how do you guys make exhaust manifold flanges for your projects?? im wondering if there is a place where you get your dimms for your cnc program or if you take measurements yourself. im current a MET student who is in a class running FAE analysis on solidwork files. i would like to design a sr or kat manifold but cant find a place with dimmensions made for the flanges. any ideas?
Scan a gasket then trace it in Adobe Illustrator then import the AI file, or something along those lines.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #4684
duffman1278
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoPlsr View Post
Scan a gasket then trace it in Adobe Illustrator then import the AI file, or something along those lines.
Better yet, just take the scanned file of the gasket and drop it into Solidworks and trace it on there.

duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #4685
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
.....Better yet, buy one already made?
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:05 AM   #4686
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
Sometimes u just can't re-invent the wheel
Old 03-14-2012, 04:56 AM   #4687
NismoPlsr
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (21)
NismoPlsr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
It sounded like his point was to get a model in CAD so he could to some FEA on it.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #4688
dpritchard4
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
dpritchard4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoPlsr View Post
It sounded like his point was to get a model in CAD so he could to some FEA on it.
exactly what i wanted

i never thought about scanning the gasket, also didnt know you could trace in solidworks (been an autocad user for 8 yrs, finally switching over)

and if i ever build one i will deff buy a pre-built flange
dpritchard4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #4689
trickey1991
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
trickey1991 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
bottom of my new intake manifold before final weld.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:51 AM   #4690
wisDOMination
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
wisDOMination is a jewel in the roughwisDOMination is a jewel in the roughwisDOMination is a jewel in the roughwisDOMination is a jewel in the roughwisDOMination is a jewel in the roughwisDOMination is a jewel in the roughwisDOMination is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Hey guys,
In the market for a welder right now. Stuck between a Miller DVI2 and the newer 211. I plan on using it for custom car fab shit (tubs, bash bars, exhaust/intercooler piping, etc)
Don't plan to do production type stuff or anything, nor does it have to be portable. I'll be using it both at home and at a shop.
Now here's the deal. If I go with the DVI2, it would be a used one that my landlord is tryna sell. Don't know much about it, but he said it wasnt used a lot, and is thinking of selling it for $1000. As for the 211, I'd have to head down to Air Gas and buy a brand new one, which should be a little more than $1000.
Regardless of price, which one would be a better buy?
Much thanks in advance
wisDOMination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:05 AM   #4691
Karlitos
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
Karlitos is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
exactly what i wanted

i never thought about scanning the gasket, also didnt know you could trace in solidworks (been an autocad user for 8 yrs, finally switching over)

Yeah you can import a picture and post it on a plane in SW. Then trace or maybe sketch identities.

why use cosmosxpress on SW? Its just a testing thing, no where near as good as using Abaqus/Catia or some other real FEA. We used SW just for some quick things in SAE. Our FEA class and major parts went onto abaqus.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:06 AM   #4692
duffman1278
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
Quote:
exactly what i wanted

Why FEA it? You don't know any of the loads unless you get a DAQ. And I really doubt you'll be looking into modal analysis or stresses due to thermal loading and or impulse reactions. Karlitos is right also, SW cosmos is not that great. It doesn't even let you define your own mesh and tetrahedral is the least accurate element.

duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:57 AM   #4693
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
First time welding suspension arms.... harder than expected.

Wanting to toss these turds in the trash
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #4694
bb4_96
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
bb4_96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
cosmos is weak.. get ansys
bb4_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #4695
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Quote:
late I know.

we use the CMM at work to gather as many data points as needed.
Then plot them in Gibbs, build the parts and transfer the G Code to a CNC machine.
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #4696
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Motary
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_240 View Post
First time welding suspension arms.... harder than expected.
PEEEKTURE
Wanting to toss these turds in the trash
Try welding like this, in a row of coins:

Random google image:

Also set your amps and wire feed so the weld would penetrate and would sink a tiny bit inwards or be level, but never make mountains
Motary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #4697
Chamb-O
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Chamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
here is a charge pipe I did for an e36 m3 the other day

and all painted up

small complex pipes kick my ass haha
Chamb-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #4698
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
I find IC tubing to be the biggest pain in the ass...

Something about it that I can never get perfect.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:45 PM   #4699
Chamb-O
Leaky Injector

Chamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the rough
I usually find it really easy- 2 points that have a little bit of wiggle room with couplers
small complex pipes like these always kick my ass

not so much the fitment and welding
it is just really hard to tell a customer that I spent 3 hrs on less than a foot of piping
Old 03-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #4700
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (42)
shiftdrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Wishbone mounts fabbed from scratch
Old 03-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #4701
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (22)
s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
Quote:
First time welding suspension arms.... harder than expected. Wanting to toss these turds in the trash
More prep. I bet you were fighting contamination issues from the e-coat & paint.

I'm going to switch it up a bit from all the welding pics. Here is a plastic electrical control panel I made for my s14.

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #4702
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14unimog View Post
More prep. I bet you were fighting contamination issues from the e-coat & paint.
A friend welded those... We're both n00bs at fabrication and were practicing welding the cutout material together before going onto the arms... Everything welded fine and we didn't remove the coating.... just wiped down with isopropyl alcohol.

Removed the paint on the arms with 60 grit sandpaper (didn't have a grinder on hand) and prepped with alcohol... Still had popping. Guess I need to use a grinder and remove the coating on the cutouts next time.

What they look like now... got another pair on the way to try again.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #4703
MikeySand
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (13)
MikeySand is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
wire brush to bare metal then wipe down with non-chlorinated brake cleaner or acetone. works well for me.

edit:

forgot i was logged in on my buddies account

ka-titties
MikeySand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #4704
D.Adams
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
D.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to D.Adams Send a message via MSN to D.Adams
Quote:
A friend welded those... We're both n00bs at fabrication and were practicing welding the cutout material together before going onto the arms... Everything welded fine and we didn't remove the coating.... just wiped down with isopropyl alcohol.

Removed the paint on the arms with 60 grit sandpaper (didn't have a grinder on hand) and prepped with alcohol... Still had popping. Guess I need to use a grinder and remove the coating on the cutouts next time.

What they look like now... got another pair on the way to try again.
Make sure your wire speed and temp range is set rite. Looks like you arent running hot enough and your wire speed is set to fast. I use mostly the what some call stack of dimes method on welding arms and cage work. I start then stop then start again about 1/2 way into the first bead and just do that till im finished.

this might help MIG WELDING - Mig welding techniques for high end metal fabrication. MIG Welding TIG Welding Tube Work Plate Work

Some of my recent work on a friends car.

The rear sub fram bracing

Boxed in RUCA mount

Rear trunk floor pan. What we put in plave of the spare tire shit pan

stitch weld

Rear cage mount boxes

The cage

I have done alot more just dont have time to post 8 pages worth of pictures lol .. Or for you premium members we have a built thread there
http://zilvia.net/f/premium-member-b...u-city-az.html

The build
http://zilvia.net/f/builds-builds-on...u-city-az.html

Owner of NVS Fabrications
D.Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #4705
josh_schul
Zilvia Member

josh_schul is an unknown quantity at this point
D.Adams ...Thanks for the link on the mig welding! Very helpful! Been lurking here and it has helped me out big time!
josh_schul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #4706
D.Adams
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
D.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to D.Adams Send a message via MSN to D.Adams
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_schul View Post
D.Adams ...Thanks for the link on the mig welding! Very helpful! Been lurking here and it has helped me out big time!

yeah man anytime.

If you have any questions shoot me a pm. Im no crazy godly welder but i did go to school for welding.

That website i linked you to has alot of good info on it for people just starting off.

http://www.profabricationtechniques.com/

The build
http://zilvia.net/f/builds-builds-on...u-city-az.html

Owner of NVS Fabrications
D.Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #4707
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Designed by me, welded by my boss.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #4708
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Adams View Post
Make sure your wire speed and temp range is set rite. Looks like you arent running hot enough and your wire speed is set to fast. I use mostly the what some call stack of dimes method on welding arms and cage work. I start then stop then start again about 1/2 way into the first bead and just do that till im finished.
Dear God I hope I'm misunderstanding that.

You're not letting off the trigger by "stopping" are you?

I'm guessing you mean you're pausing?
Old 03-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #4709
Chamb-O
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Designed by me, welded by my boss.

Is that a treadstone cast collector?
if so, how was the quality on the casting?
Old 03-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #4710
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
It is indeed. It was quite nice, I cleaned it up a little on the inside, and ground one of the runners just a bit to get it perfectly flat. This is the prototype though, so I can't speak for the actual production units.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote