Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #4681
doomviillain
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
doomviillain is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to doomviillain
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
300 bucks.

20 year old beat to death turbo motor = oil that smells like fuel. How to fix? Rebuild the engine, and tune the car to not be big rich.
my car's not turbo, and the engine was rebuilt less than 400 miles ago, I drive it like once a week ever since it was rebuilt. it does run rich tho.
Your argument is invalid.
doomviillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #4682
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomviillain View Post
my car's not turbo, and the engine was rebuilt less than 400 miles ago, I drive it like once a week ever since it was rebuilt. it does run rich tho.
Rich condition combined with rings not seated. Have you followed the break in procedure by your engine builder/yourself?

I like to change the oil 100 miles after break in, then 250 after than, and then at 500. Then I goto my normal routine.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #4683
Fearell
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
Fearell is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Offset ??

I've got a set of 5Zigen FN01R-C 17x9's on my 3000GT VR4. I bought these wheels like 2 years ago before I knew much about offset. Is there a way to tell what they are just by looking for something like a sticker? I'm interested in putting the front two on my 240 and then buying two 17x10 +12s for the rear.

Thanks for the help
Fearell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #4684
doomviillain
Zilvia Junkie

doomviillain is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to doomviillain
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Rich condition combined with rings not seated. Have you followed the break in procedure by your engine builder/yourself?

I like to change the oil 100 miles after break in, then 250 after than, and then at 500. Then I goto my normal routine.
oh wow, ok I didnt know I had to change my oil after break in ill do that as soon as I can.
Your argument is invalid.
doomviillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #4685
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearell View Post
I've got a set of 5Zigen FN01R-C 17x9's on my 3000GT VR4. I bought these wheels like 2 years ago before I knew much about offset. Is there a way to tell what they are just by looking for something like a sticker? I'm interested in putting the front two on my 240 and then buying two 17x10 +12s for the rear.

Thanks for the help

Does google work? Google 'how to measure offset'. I could explain it, but google has pictures.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 02-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #4686
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomviillain View Post
oh wow, ok I didnt know I had to change my oil after break in ill do that as soon as I can.
OH man! Def get on that! Changing the oil at 100-150 miles helps get any assembly lube/crap out of it, again at 250ish helps after the rings have seated (as fuel gets into oil), and then 500 just to get it on a diet/plan like normal.

WIth a fresh engine, fuel certainly will seep into the oil.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:01 AM   #4687
zeitgeist
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (21)
zeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
when adjusting the soft/hard setting on the coilovers, should I have the wheels lifted off the ground or is it fine to just do it with the car on the ground?
zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #4688
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
RedSiBaron is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSiBaron View Post
quick question, i was under the s13 tightening up everything from the tail shaft on the trans back to the diff, making sure everything was in good condition and all bolts were tight (found the trans mount support was missing 2 bolts, 1 each side, and 1 of those was stripped, thanks previous owner) and i noticed the rubber carrier bearing/center bearing mount moves a lot when you push on both side of the prop/drive shafts...its not cracked or torn but it moves a lot.

QUESTION: How much deflection on rubber carrier/center bearing for the prop shafts should i have?

thanks guys
Nobody?
RedSiBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #4689
JKL1031
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
JKL1031 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You dont have to have the wheels off the ground to adjust the coilover setting.

If the prev. owner has been using PS fluid, could I mix it with ATF? It needs more fluid in there.
JKL1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #4690
Irresistible
Nissanaholic!

Irresistible is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKL1031 View Post
You dont have to have the wheels off the ground to adjust the coilover setting.

If the prev. owner has been using PS fluid, could I mix it with ATF? It needs more fluid in there.
I'd recommend just flushing it and refilling it with ATF. That's what I plan on doing in a few days.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:25 PM   #4691
chiboy002
Post Whore!

chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
i changed out my shifter bearing - should i put grease on the shifter ball or no. There wasn't any when i took it off so i just poured some gear fluid...
Old 02-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #4692
lonewolf

Trader Rating: (0)
lonewolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
small question here .. i just converted my s13 coupe into rhd..i want to do a engine swap on it but i dont want to put the sr20 no disrespect to anyone but were i live there like assholes everyones got one...i was thinking of swapping a vq35de from a 350z 6mt i wanted to know if anyone has any info on this i searched but no luck would it fit even if it rhd??
lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #4693
PNgo12
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (19)
PNgo12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSiBaron View Post
How do you know your water pump is good? They don't need to leak to be bad...though I will say that since your heater is bringing the heat down your water is flowing, so your pump probably is good.(that's always a good thing to turn on to get water temps down in an emergency).

Is your fan turning? Does the clutch modulate the fan based on temp? If either answer is no, your fan clutch is bad...

How's your coolent level? When you run the car from cooled off, open the rad cap and get the car to warm up, rev from the engine bay if you have to and see if the thermostat opens up and coolent level changes...have you bled the coolent system to make sure you have it properly filled, you need to burp out all the air in the system by running the car and make sure it warms up and add coolent when the thermostat opens. The 240 likes to hide air in the system and it helps to shake the car actually haha...also make sure you fill your coolent reservoir to appropriate levels when cold...if you really are uncomfortable go pick up a thermostat, should be 170 degrees f...its only like $10

How's the oil look? When you run with the rad cap off are little bubbles coming up in the opening? Or is the oil milky? That would indicate a blown head gasket...

That's what you need to check...

Okay so I replaced the radiator and the shit is still trying to overheat. I thought it was a busted radiator since when I opened the engine bay coolant was splattered around the cap. I also got a new cap OEM from Nissan. I'm thinking the next culprit is the thermostat? But if the thermo was broken wouldn't the car take forever to warm up? It warms up fairly quickly and after awhile of driving I'd say ten minutes temps start really climbing...
PNgo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #4694
Wake
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (8)
Wake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wake Send a message via Yahoo to Wake
Dude why are you not listening, REPLACE YOUR COOLANT TEMP SENSORS
That way you know you are getting the correct reading, If you replaced the radiator you should have just done the water pump and thermo at the same time
S.P.P.S. Member #00
**CoUpe LOve** Member #00
Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #4695
Irresistible
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNgo12 View Post
Okay so I replaced the radiator and the shit is still trying to overheat. I thought it was a busted radiator since when I opened the engine bay coolant was splattered around the cap. I also got a new cap OEM from Nissan. I'm thinking the next culprit is the thermostat? But if the thermo was broken wouldn't the car take forever to warm up? It warms up fairly quickly and after awhile of driving I'd say ten minutes temps start really climbing...
At first when I read that I thought you said coolant splattered when you opened the cap, and I was about to call you an idiot.

But replace the temp sensor, or get a water temp gauge. While you're at it, you may as well flush out your coolant system and replace the thermostat and hoses too.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #4696
RPSil13
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
RPSil13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownRPSil13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownRPSil13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
can someone link me to a thread on how to take apart multi-piece wheels? do i need a special tool for the rivets?

thanks
Old 02-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #4697
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPSil13 View Post
can someone link me to a thread on how to take apart multi-piece wheels? do i need a special tool for the rivets?

thanks
Wheel Whores • View topic - Rebuilding your BBS RS/RM's
depends what kinda wheels they are - usually its just a 12-point 8 or 10mm socket and a 10mm, maybe 12, for the back.

BBS RS & RM Refurbishing
Old 02-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #4698
foxystyle
Zilvia Member

foxystyle is an unknown quantity at this point
quick question, Im swapping a Ka24de in my s13. I pulled out the ka24e, now I am confused as to how to work the powersteering lines. On write ups for the swap, they say to "move the lines to driver side for the dohc set up"... okay I was looking at them and said how?. theres sensor on the lines too. If I get the chase bays ps kit for the ka24de will it solve my problem? I already have the resevoir and low pressure hoses for the ka24de but the high pressure hose is off the ka24e which is on the passenger side.. help please? sorry if its a long question.
foxystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:43 PM   #4699
PNgo12
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (19)
PNgo12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
My bad wakebhr thought you were talking to some other dude. I'll replace the thermostat first, forgot about the possibility of it being stuck closed. If the problem still persists coolant temperature sensor next. The water pump was replaced about ten months ago I'd say but I'm almost positive that isn't the culprit.
PNgo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #4700
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNgo12 View Post
My bad wakebhr thought you were talking to some other dude. I'll replace the thermostat first, forgot about the possibility of it being stuck closed. If the problem still persists coolant temperature sensor next. The water pump was replaced about ten months ago I'd say but I'm almost positive that isn't the culprit.
honestly, the fucking temp sensor is like 10$ at napa or any other parts store. Stop being cheap and buy the fucking thing - better knowing it works than guessing every time you replace something
Old 02-22-2011, 12:47 AM   #4701
jamg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jamg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
i need to spray my bumper, the paint is faded.

what girt of sandpaper should i use to prep it?

is there a thread somewhere i can read up on prepping the bumper?
jamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:28 AM   #4702
Nismentality
Leaky Injector

Nismentality is an unknown quantity at this point
what is better? A quick tilt with lock or quick release with lock?
Nismentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:40 AM   #4703
Tom25666
Zilvia Addict

Tom25666 has made poor choicesTom25666 has made poor choicesTom25666 has made poor choicesTom25666 has made poor choicesTom25666 has made poor choicesTom25666 has made poor choices
changed my oil about 2 weeks ago, used the same weight as before but different brand. then while visiting a friend about 150 miles away my oil light came on. light seems dim, and flickers sometimes. has not gone out. levels are perfect, oil still looks fairly clean, new filter. stock redtop sr. wtf

*edit- small dent in oil pan. great.

Last edited by Tom25666; 02-22-2011 at 12:42 PM..
Tom25666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #4704
BLKTOPSR20DET
Leaky Injector

BLKTOPSR20DET is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamg View Post
i need to spray my bumper, the paint is faded.

what girt of sandpaper should i use to prep it?

is there a thread somewhere i can read up on prepping the bumper?
i would start with a 60 grit and then a 220 and then wet sand and spray some primer.
BLKTOPSR20DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:34 PM   #4705
sr20comic
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (6)
sr20comic is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I'm finishing up an Sr swap in my 89 s13 and it won't start, its got spark and fuel and I can't figure it out and its driving me crazy
sr20comic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #4706
Siedwayz
BANNED

Siedwayz is an unknown quantity at this point
Got me some tokico shocks/ struts or w.e, not sure what to call them.. they are blue, i think d-specs? Non- adjustable on the top like normal front coils... seems as if i need to use a hexagonal wrench tool to get it loosen and slamm my ride to the illest,

but i don't know how? I dont have any tools! What should i do? I used one of them big sewer wrenches but i couldnt get it loose and the steering wheel was turning when i turned it..

MY RIDEESSS FLOATINGGG 3 inches, needs some slamation, help plz.
Siedwayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:48 PM   #4707
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr20comic View Post
I'm finishing up an Sr swap in my 89 s13 and it won't start, its got spark and fuel and I can't figure it out and its driving me crazy
Is everything stock? Do you ahve it wired correctly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siedwayz View Post
Got me some tokico shocks/ struts or w.e, not sure what to call them.. they are blue, i think d-specs? Non- adjustable on the top like normal front coils... seems as if i need to use a hexagonal wrench tool to get it loosen and slamm my ride to the illest,

but i don't know how? I dont have any tools! What should i do? I used one of them big sewer wrenches but i couldnt get it loose and the steering wheel was turning when i turned it..

MY RIDEESSS FLOATINGGG 3 inches, needs some slamation, help plz.
Trolling. Sweet.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:19 PM   #4708
jing
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
jing is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'm going to install a home depot lip on my freshly painted front bumper because I've driven it less than a handful of times and already scraped my bumper twice, thus cracking the paint on the bottom edge of my bumper. I wouldn't really care if I had some replica kit but seeing as how my GP Sports front bumper has been discontinued for awhile now, I'd like to do my best in preserving it.

Is it even worth the effort? Or does it do shit all for protection?
jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #4709
PandahZ650
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
PandahZ650 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PandahZ650
what are those clips that have the zip ties on them called? normally in engine bays to hold the wiring harness. Where can i get some?
PandahZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #4710
Irresistible
Nissanaholic!

How do I align a door? My passenger side door on my S14 is a bitch to close, you have to literally slam the door. I don't want to buy new hinges, as those are quite expensive.

The car was hit right in front of the door, between the front wheel and door.... So that's probably what messed it up.

I guess I'll buy door hinges if that's what it comes down too, but would there be any other way to make them aligned? The part of the door towards the read of the car seems to be too low.