Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #4621
jbjslambert
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
jbjslambert is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichi-SannCoupe View Post
Definitely let us know what southbend says about their pressure plate. How do you like the collins adapter? im thinking either that or the mavrick motorsports one.
just ordered the southbend clutch. I called them first, it has 2900 lbs clamping force

https://conceptzperformance.com/Cart...n.php?II=17037
jbjslambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2014, 03:34 PM   #4622
stevecorrado88
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
stevecorrado88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Dakota digital

Anyone have a link to hook up a Dakota digital tachometer converter into s13
stevecorrado88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:04 PM   #4623
Mr. Phonso
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Mr. Phonso is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
speaking of fans I will share my setup. I run dual derale pusher fans PN 16925 and I haven't looked back. Each one is capable of 2,210 cfm. I won't go into the wiring in detail but I have 3 settings controlled by 3 relays inside the fuse box and each one is fused.

Speed 1 runs both fans in series (fans spin at half their max speed this way) for maintaining temp in normal driving conditions.
Speed 2 runs only the passenger side fan on full blast for maintaining temp on sprinted runs.
Speed 3 runs both fans in parallel (fans spin at max speed) but I've never needed to use this.

Each fan speed is controlled by each relay. And each relay is controlled by an AEM v2 based on engine temperature. This way I don't have to worry about turning on switches every time I go to drive the car. This is a turn key setup.

Mr. Phonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:05 PM   #4624
Mr. Phonso
Zilvia Junkie

Mr. Phonso is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...6925/overview/

It isn't cheap but it makes other fans look cute
Mr. Phonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:42 PM   #4625
RaNMaN
Zilvia Member

RaNMaN is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Phonso View Post
http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...6925/overview/

It isn't cheap but it makes other fans look cute
yeah but your pusher fans are right where the a/c condenser sits for those of us that have kept a/c.
RaNMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:48 PM   #4626
RaNMaN
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecorrado88 View Post
Anyone have a link to hook up a Dakota digital tachometer converter into s13
No link but what's your motor and ignition setup? ge or gte, distributor or igniter? Also which cluster do you have the digital one or the dial one?

Need more info dude
Old 11-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #4627
ATLspeed
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
ATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjslambert View Post
just ordered the southbend clutch. I called them first, it has 2900 lbs clamping force

https://conceptzperformance.com/Cart...n.php?II=17037
I'm running that same clutch (single 6puck rated at 850tq) on my cd009. The clutch feels good and grabs. I did have to return the pressure plate twice for repair due to pilot bushing wasn't in the pilot bushing adapter (don't ask, but it was my negligence ). Their customer service is great as well.

Due to my pilot bushing mishaps I have been hesitant about actually beating/racing on it (8.5k redline from 1st-2nd where my problem occuried). I'm currently at 372tq.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #4628
ThanatosG
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
ThanatosG is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
So what shifter setup did you finally end up with ATLspeed? I remember a few pages back you were considering different setups.
ThanatosG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #4629
ATLspeed
Zilvia Addict

ATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Im going to "hotwire" the neutral/safety. Start the car in neutral without pushing the clutch and get in a habit of sitting in the staging line with the car in neutral and foot off the clutch pedal
That was the main problem with the crank walk supra's. Holding the clutch in when starting puts the pressure on the thrust bearings and causes the problem with lubrication at start up. I've had mine bypassed for 3yrs now. Once you are in the habit of it you are cake.

Quote:
...with the newest version flywheel, the trans doesnt need to be milled now.

im working with a guy and fabbing up a shifter setup to bring it back to stock s13 chassis and retain a reverse lock out. shifter will sit a little higher, but who cares, its a track car
I wish they had that out back in may, finding a confident machine shop in my area was a nightmare. I paid $150 to have mine done.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:09 PM   #4630
ATLspeed
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanatosG View Post
So what shifter setup did you finally end up with ATLspeed? I remember a few pages back you were considering different setups.
I ended up just staying with what I made for the time being until someone makes something a little more solid and shift points 100% accurate. Mine is about 80% solid, I need 2 braces made to take up some slack. Finding the gear position is related to how straight you line up the shifter when installing.

*simply put when installing if I have the shifter leaning to the left it will be difficult to go into 1st/2nd or if it's leaning to the right it's difficult to get into 5th/6th/reverse.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:25 PM   #4631
rswails
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
rswails is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Throttle cable

I tried a 1995 MK4 NA supra throttle cable and it DOES NOT FIT the S14 with 2jzgte vvti fitment. It is about 1.5" too short. I don't remember where I read that the NA one will fit but it does not. Pissed at the wasted time and money. Is the TT one about 1.5" longer guys?

For measurement info, the NA MK4 supra throttle cable is 17.5" long from the cable sheath tip to the thin metal flange that bolts up to the firewire.

Also, I looked up the part numbers for both the NA and TT MK4 supra throttle cables. They are the same part number. So do not expect a TT cable to fit and NA cable not to fit, or vice versa.

Last edited by rswails; 12-30-2014 at 01:12 PM..
rswails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:54 PM   #4632
sleek6mt
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
sleek6mt is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Awesome thread! Been lurking here for awhile and I'm about to embark on this journey as well.

Question how many of you guys tackled the wiring on your own and not pay for a premade harness.

Btw I have a 97 kouki
sleek6mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:33 AM   #4633
Drink&Drift
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
Drink&Drift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Drink&Drift
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleek6mt View Post
Awesome thread! Been lurking here for awhile and I'm about to embark on this journey as well.

Question how many of you guys tackled the wiring on your own and not pay for a premade harness.

Btw I have a 97 kouki
If you are confident and have experience doing wiring, or have a good friend that does, its not a huge deal to accomplish it yourself, here are some useful links

How-to
http://my.prostreetonline.com/2013/1...n-a-s14-240sx/

Complete Non-VVTI Aristo ECU Pinout
http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/3...ngine%20Wiring
Drink&Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #4634
sleek6mt
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drink&Drift View Post
If you are confident and have experience doing wiring, or have a good friend that does, its not a huge deal to accomplish it yourself, here are some useful links

How-to
http://my.prostreetonline.com/2013/1...n-a-s14-240sx/

Complete Non-VVTI Aristo ECU Pinout
http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/3...ngine%20Wiring
Thanks I have those links saved.

Just waiting on my R154 to come in and I'll be ready to drop this bad boy in
Old 11-14-2014, 02:38 PM   #4635
RaNMaN
Zilvia Member

Quote:

Btw I have a 97 kouki
I did all of my own wiring, '98 Kouki and I've done a lot of it.

So far I've relocated all of the underhood fuses, relays, and the battery into the trunk, I removed the bulky annoying SMJ connector, and I wired up a Haltech PS2000 ecu. It's not difficult but a lot of people seem to screw it up, it just takes the right tools and somebody that knows wiring.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:57 PM   #4636
sleek6mt
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaNMaN View Post
I did all of my own wiring, '98 Kouki and I've done a lot of it.

So far I've relocated all of the underhood fuses, relays, and the battery into the trunk, I removed the bulky annoying SMJ connector, and I wired up a Haltech PS2000 ecu. It's not difficult but a lot of people seem to screw it up, it just takes the right tools and somebody that knows wiring.
Nice sounds like a clean job! Do you have a build thread?
Old 11-15-2014, 04:03 PM   #4637
RaNMaN
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Nice sounds like a clean job! Do you have a build thread?
No build thread, my previous car was stolen and so I keep my projects on the downlow. That being said I would be happy to try to help you with any specific problems that you run into if you want to get into your wiring.

I mounted the Haltech in the glove box so that I can unplug it and close and lock the glove box as an added security measure and I was able to keep all of the underhood fuses and relays in their original location in the same plastic box they were in from under the hood -it's all just now in the trunk! It's pretty cool how it all worked out but I did run into issues and I had to revise my plan several times.

I used techflex heat resistant sleeving and shrink wrap on everything and military grade teflon cable on the ignition system wired up to some LS (D585) coils.

The v160 speed sensor plugs right into the Haltech and I use a dakota digital adapter to modify the abs sensor signal coming from the differential to drive the instrument cluster gauges.

I mounted two mini switches on the center cluster that I use to turn on anti-lag launch control and datalogging but they can be reconfigured through the Haltech to do just about anything.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:00 PM   #4638
kalel540
Leaky Injector

kalel540 is an unknown quantity at this point
Finally got it started. Runs like shit though, AEM needs some (or a lot) tuning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCIStjzPiQQ
kalel540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:06 PM   #4639
sleek6mt
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaNMaN View Post
No build thread, my previous car was stolen and so I keep my projects on the downlow. That being said I would be happy to try to help you with any specific problems that you run into if you want to get into your wiring.

I mounted the Haltech in the glove box so that I can unplug it and close and lock the glove box as an added security measure and I was able to keep all of the underhood fuses and relays in their original location in the same plastic box they were in from under the hood -it's all just now in the trunk! It's pretty cool how it all worked out but I did run into issues and I had to revise my plan several times.

I used techflex heat resistant sleeving and shrink wrap on everything and military grade teflon cable on the ignition system wired up to some LS (D585) coils.

The v160 speed sensor plugs right into the Haltech and I use a dakota digital adapter to modify the abs sensor signal coming from the differential to drive the instrument cluster gauges.

I mounted two mini switches on the center cluster that I use to turn on anti-lag launch control and datalogging but they can be reconfigured through the Haltech to do just about anything.
Thanks man, Ill be making my own harness to keep costs down. Yours sounds like a clean build.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #4640
sleek6mt
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalel540 View Post
Finally got it started. Runs like shit though, AEM needs some (or a lot) tuning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCIStjzPiQQ
Sounds great ! Get her tuned
Old 11-15-2014, 06:55 PM   #4641
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswails View Post
I tried a 1995 MK4 NA supra throttle cable and it DOES NOT FIT the S14 with 2jzgte vvti fitment. It is about 1.5" too short. I don't remember where I read that the NA one will fit but it does not. Pissed at the wasted time and money. Is the TT one about 1.5" longer guys?

For measurement info, the NA MK4 supra throttle cable is 17.5" long from the cable sheath tip to the thin metal flange that bolts up to the firewire.
Would love to know this as well; i've been told the TT one is the perfect length, but i'd love to know before dropping the coin on a new cable.
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #4642
jbjslambert
Zilvia Member

not sure if this has been talked about before, but...

I was missing F59 and F60 connectors off my 2jgte vvti swap. I went to PullaPart this weeked and discovered that these connectors are the same on a 1999 Lexus RX300 ECU.

Also I found the BF1,BF2, BF3 in the RX300 over in the drivers side kick panel. So i cut male side off the vehicle to plug into my swap for now.

Last edited by jbjslambert; 11-17-2014 at 05:46 PM..
Old 11-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #4643
jbjslambert
Zilvia Member

Cranked up my 2J vvti tonight on the shop floor with some throttle body cleaner i had laying around. Fires up right away. will start up and run tomorrow with an old fuel pump a buddy gave me so i dont have to take mine out of the car.

Anyone ever experience a whining noise coming from the throttle body? Im thinking its a ground issue from my temporary wiring setup using some household wire nuts and some jumper cables for ground. lol
Old 11-18-2014, 09:02 AM   #4644
91ka24
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
91ka24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Still have this brand new never used Tweakd 2jzgte vvti into s13 harness for sale. My loss if your gain, $625 shipped anywhere in the u.s.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:50 AM   #4645
sleek6mt
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91ka24 View Post
Still have this brand new never used Tweakd 2jzgte vvti into s13 harness for sale. My loss if your gain, $625 shipped anywhere in the u.s.
If this was for s14 I would have picked this up. This is a steal !
Old 11-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #4646
wiring specialties
Zilvia Junkie

wiring specialties is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
If this was for s14 I would have picked this up. This is a steal !

Give us a ring if you still need a harness! We have them in stock.

Ask for Chris for special black friday pricing!
wiring specialties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #4647
Sky80
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (17)
Sky80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91ka24 View Post

How has no one picked this up yet??
Old 11-18-2014, 05:31 PM   #4648
91ka24
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
91ka24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
^ exactly what I'm thinkin lol
Old 11-20-2014, 07:45 AM   #4649
jbjslambert
Zilvia Member

Those of you that may have a 350z trans sitting around til install...can you measure how deep the shifter hole is in the shifter bracket? (Hole where the shifter drops in)

Shifter bracket came up missing. Making my own now. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #4650
NOLAGG
Zilvia Member

NOLAGG is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Those of you that may have a 350z trans sitting around til install...can you measure how deep the shifter hole is in the shifter bracket? (Hole where the shifter drops in)

Shifter bracket came up missing. Making my own now. Thanks.
I have a 350z worth trans currently installed in the z.can I be of some help?
NOLAGG is offline   Reply With Quote