Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-04-2012, 04:52 AM   #4531
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
GKTech, are you giving us estimated pricing in USD or AUD? It doesn't make that much of a difference at the moment, but I'd imagine a good swing for either currency could make your price jump a bit...
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2012, 05:40 AM   #4532
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
GKTECH is making a name for him/her selfGKTECH is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefro526 View Post
GKTech, are you giving us estimated pricing in USD or AUD? It doesn't make that much of a difference at the moment, but I'd imagine a good swing for either currency could make your price jump a bit...

The prices that we're giving are in AUD however the price will actually be minus 10% as you won't have to pay our sales tax (in Australia we have to include the tax in the listed price)

Ie. The introductory price for the knuckles will be $545AUD for anyone outside of Australia plus shipping
Old 09-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #4533
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Motary
GKtech, you mind sharing the measurements for the steering pickup?
Motary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #4534
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

GKTECH is making a name for him/her selfGKTECH is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motary View Post
GKtech, you mind sharing the measurements for the steering pickup?
No problem. I'll get a diagram put together to show the difference between the 3 steering arms
Old 09-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #4535
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
It looks like that shorter arm already has 0 ackerman but I can't tell.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:50 AM   #4536
Axi$

Trader Rating: (0)
Axi$ is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
post it wrong

Last edited by Axi$; 09-30-2014 at 04:50 AM..
Axi$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #4537
My$800S14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
My$800S14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It looks a little angled inward to me, I could be wrong, so I am expecting minimal ackerman, but none the less some amount

Missile Media™2011
Old 09-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #4538
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
It looks like that shorter arm already has 0 ackerman but I can't tell.
We're just putting the simulations together to show the ackerman of each but as mentioned previously, as they're modular it's very easy for us (or you) to make a new steering arm.

P.S here's a little (big) update:

They are alive! Our first S chassis production samples have been assembled (albeit I did put the brake caliper mounts on the wrong sides) but they are together.

We'll get them test fitted in the next week and then start some destructive testing.

Watch this space.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #4539
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
^ i have a suspicion that a few years down the road some young kid somewhere will try to assemble a used set of your knuckles, find that picture you just posted (with the caliper mounts installed backwards), get really pissy about his brakes not mounting correctly, and come whining to you for help.

i'll go ahead and put money on it.

fair warning

...also, those knuckles looks SO boss. keep up the awesome work, guys!
Old 09-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #4540
JFoxx
BANNED

Trader Rating: (3)
JFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
^^the truth ^^^
JFoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #4541
KA240SX808
Zilvia Addict

KA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to KA240SX808 Send a message via MSN to KA240SX808
Time to go change my pants
* PigNose SMIC Grille/Vent P# 62697-44F00 *
LMK What you guys got
KA240SX808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:23 AM   #4542
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysgottaredtop View Post
^ i have a suspicion that a few years down the road some young kid somewhere will try to assemble a used set of your knuckles, find that picture you just posted (with the caliper mounts installed backwards), get really pissy about his brakes not mounting correctly, and come whining to you for help.

i'll go ahead and put money on it.

fair warning

...also, those knuckles looks SO boss. keep up the awesome work, guys!
We'll take some pro shots in the next few days and take these ones down, just waiting for the photo guy to turn up with his magic light tent and thought we'd share the quick photo I took on my phone.

Glad you like them
Old 09-07-2012, 04:35 AM   #4543
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
those look excellent. i love all the options we're getting nowadays in suspension.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #4544
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

GripTerror is an unknown quantity at this point
GKTECH!

I just remembered something can't believe no body mentioned this by now!

Since these are machined custom knuckles! Why not use STRONGER wheel bearings?! Once that can take negative wheel offset better, abuse and power better, grip better?

I remember def talking about trying ot use some kinda nissan truck or z wheel bearings instead of the stock ones....
GripTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #4545
NoPistons!
Zilvia Junkie

NoPistons! is an unknown quantity at this point
Amazing knuckle as i've already told you GKTECH. Are those steel inserts pressed in for the lca pickup and damper mount? 6000 series or 7000 series? A couple weeks later and i'm still at a loss for words at the quality and value in that setup.

On another subtopic, who has had to extend their steering column after moving the rack forwards? I'm at the point where i have to now but have yet to see it mentioned.

Been working on this the past week or so after twisting my own arm on need and want..... You know how it is. Project car life....

Probably can swing a bit more out of this. LCA is stock s13 length at the moment and tension rod is also factory length. Rack is moved forward. Maybe 3mm between it and the crossmember. Nevermind the oem dampers.....
Old 09-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #4546
killer240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
killer240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
anyone here running the PSM rear knuckles, what is your alternative parking brake if you have one?
killer240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:14 AM   #4547
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Motary
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPistons! View Post
On another subtopic, who has had to extend their steering column after moving the rack forwards? I'm at the point where i have to now but have yet to see it mentioned.
What about using two of these:

Motary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:17 AM   #4548
KA240SX808
Zilvia Addict

KA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to KA240SX808 Send a message via MSN to KA240SX808
+ Extended Bolts?
* PigNose SMIC Grille/Vent P# 62697-44F00 *
LMK What you guys got
KA240SX808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #4549
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripTerror View Post
GKTECH!

I just remembered something can't believe no body mentioned this by now!

Since these are machined custom knuckles! Why not use STRONGER wheel bearings?! Once that can take negative wheel offset better, abuse and power better, grip better?

I remember def talking about trying ot use some kinda nissan truck or z wheel bearings instead of the stock ones....
For us to create a new spindle isn't hard, we could machine them up as a special order if there were 10 or so people interested. In Australia bearing upgrades for the S chassis aren't too common and I've never heard of any wheel bearing issues, other than old bearings wearing out. We're certainly open to options so feel free to share your thoughts
Old 09-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #4550
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPistons! View Post
Amazing knuckle as i've already told you GKTECH. Are those steel inserts pressed in for the lca pickup and damper mount? 6000 series or 7000 series? A couple weeks later and i'm still at a loss for words at the quality and value in that setup.
The inserts aren't pressed in, they're a tight fit but can be removed by hand (this is intentional). The steel inserts and spindle are machined from 40CrMo
Old 09-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #4551
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motary View Post
What about using two of these:

For anyone who can weld, it should not be hard to just extend the shaft that goes between the rack and firewall.
It may also be worth a try to see if any other Nissan/Infiniti uses a longer one that could be a direct swap.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #4552
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Finally. Been waiting for these to come out for a long time. Super beefy mode.

ã‚¹ãƒ†ã‚¢ãƒªãƒ³ã‚°ã®åˆ‡ã‚Œè§ ’up Super Steering Angle Parts - POWERED BY MAX

From Parts Shop Max's page.

" We are proud to release this very unique part! First a warning. The downside of the spherical bearing or pillowball joint is that it cant be used on OEM type strut and spring because the range of motion is 30 degrees, thats about half of the OEM tie rod range. The OEM suspension has tons of down travel which is where the tie rod needs to have a lot of droop. Some Coilovers like KW that are not full tap coilovers have a lot of droop too, like stock, but for almost everyone whose coilovers have 50% or less travel than stock suspension, this is no problem at all! This joint range of motion has nothing to do with steering angle because the tie rod joint hardly moves while pushing the knuckles steering arm, most of the joint motion is from suspension compression and droop. The limited range of motion actually allows us to beef up the skinniest part of the tie rod, its 50% thicker near the edge of the ball housing. Because S13 Spec is only 12mm thread, we only offer this in S14 spec which is M14 1.5 thread. The thread that attaches to the tie rod end is 20mm longer than stock. The thread that goes into the rack is 7mm longer then stock. We have moved the typical hex position from the middle of the rod where forces can focus on the sharp edges of the hex to bend and crack under stress to a larger 20mm DIA section near the boot retainer. The star of the show here is the precision teflon lined maintenance free spherical bearing that replaces the OEM style plastic lined joint used in every other tie rod on the market today. This allows way more joint strength and a more direct steering feel. The extended length is a perfect compliment to our FLCA and Super steering angle knuckles, but the length may need to be cut down if used with standard knuckles and lower control arms.

~ Teflon lined spherical bearing joint
~ 7mm built in rack spacer for increased steering angle
~ 7mm longer rack threads
~ 20mm longer threads on the tie rod end
~ Black electro coating with gold plated lock ring
~ CrMo rod material "

TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #4553
killer240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
killer240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
I believe the outer tie rod is still on the making?
killer240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #4554
Matej
Post Whore!

Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Just ordered a pair, because I am sure they will sell out soon.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #4555
Matej
Post Whore!

Is there a good 'rule of thumb' for extending the FLCA?
I want to pick up some new S13 ones and have them lengthened because my S14 ones are not as long as I would like, but at the same time I do not want them too extreme.
Also, does anyone on here provide the service?
Cheers.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #4556
NoPistons!
Zilvia Junkie

NoPistons! is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
For anyone who can weld, it should not be hard to just extend the shaft that goes between the rack and firewall.
It may also be worth a try to see if any other Nissan/Infiniti uses a longer one that could be a direct swap.
Exactly what i did. Cut/weld. When i did cut the thicker part of the shaft, i did note it was HOLLOW as well as fluted/splined. It's two piece. The part that fits into the u joint on the rack slips into the shaft splines. Just a thought. Maybe someone can take that and run with it. Couldn't get decent pics of what i did with my phone but i just used free scraps i had laying around and didn't think too hard about it.

Motary, as i was undoing those bolts for the bushing the 12mm started to round off before i even broke seating torque. I didn't even want to mess with fixing that....
Old 09-10-2012, 11:49 PM   #4557
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

huffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura about
I moved my rack forward 25-30mm but I didn't have to lengthen my steering shaft... The connector joint bolted up fine and haven't had any issue with it for past year.

Are some columns/shafts longer?
huffandpuff00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:21 AM   #4558
mikerbike
Zilvia Junkie

mikerbike is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
Is there a good 'rule of thumb' for extending the FLCA?
I want to pick up some new S13 ones and have them lengthened because my S14 ones are not as long as I would like, but at the same time I do not want them too extreme.
Also, does anyone on here provide the service?
Cheers.
I don't think there's any rule of thumb. BUT, I extended mine 1.5" and now I feel like I should have just done 1".

Basically, I rubbed the frame rail a bit before. Now I have about 3/4" clearance at lock.

Where is the extra length on S14 FCAs? Inward or outward of the TC rod?
Old 09-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #4559
Lutz Performance
Leaky Injector

Lutz Performance is an unknown quantity at this point
which side of the control are do you normally extend?
i've given up trying to get s14 lca, so just gonna pony up and buy another set of s13s and extend them. Would like to get -3 w/o using Camber plates
Lutz Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #4560
IThaJokaI
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
IThaJokaI is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to IThaJokaI Send a message via MSN to IThaJokaI
JC, you would extend after the TC rod, before the balljoint(obviously lol.)

Mikerbike, the s14 LCA is longer between the TC rod and balljoint. But the difference in length only adds around 1* more negative camber over what you would have had with s13 LCAs.