Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #4471
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
You should probably put the VE head on a DET block.
Could do, but to me it is easier to turn the whole motor sideways, as I just want to keep it NA and reliable, and run the stock VVL ECU.

Sorry for thread jack. Back to cool angles!

Last edited by Matej; 08-11-2012 at 05:29 PM..
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #4472
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Third fastest car at World Time Attack.

Nemo Evo ran a 1:25.02
Tilton Evo did a 1:27.182
This car did a 1:27.808

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #4473
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
GripTerror is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
awesome car
GripTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #4474
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
I wish there were limits on all those crazy aero setups.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #4475
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

NO!!!!

No gay rules!

Unlimited time attack = FUN!

WTH? Rules are what ruin the fun... who gives a shit... It's how formula 1 became gayer... Sure there is innovation be had under pressure and restriction... but... seriously? No...

When was the most fun in rallying? Group B Rally cars? FRICKIN WOW! Turbo formula 1 cars?

You know what I'm talking about.

No no no no no and no.... even drifting has become gay with rules... each year changing and forcing people to make a new setup to do what? Go on an angle... seriously? Urgh...
Old 08-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #4476
!Zar!
Post Whore!

!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
While I agree, I still think the cars look ugly.

Even Formula1 is changing the 2012 front bulkhead rule in 2013 due to the cars looking 'ugly'.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #4477
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
MCA car also has a very simple double wishbone setup in front. Basically an added upper arm.

Yeah Europe has drifting figured out better. Less rules, telemetry based judging.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #4478
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

Since when is racing about pretty cars?

You want sparkle vinyl, dildo shift knobs and slammed rides? I thought we grew out of that.

S13 + f1 style front = EPIC, not ugly. Sorry
Old 08-12-2012, 12:32 AM   #4479
ShakotanGazelle
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
ShakotanGazelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
So cool how you gentlemen are willing to make things such as this. GKTech reminds of the golden era of Tomei, Nismo, and Cusco, when companies were still making all kinds of fancy parts for the S-chassis.

Can you make a bell housing that mates an RWD SR20 gear box to an SR20VE block? Then I would not have to swap the upper oil pan and mod my bell housing.
oh god yes, please make and id buy one for sure!!!!
ShakotanGazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:23 AM   #4480
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
GKTECH is making a name for him/her selfGKTECH is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripTerror View Post
I hope the rear spindle by GK Tech will include modularity between stock style and z32/r32 style fork mounts. I have z32 rears... and custom coilovers designed around that (one piece not removable).... so that would be great... and of course everything heim bushed... no polyurethane garbage which im sure will not happen as you are CNCing everything hehe
To be honest the Z32/R32 fork style mount isn't something that we had discussed as the majority of the people that we deal with own S chassis' but I'll chat to the guys about it and see what we can come up with.

We're already aiming to have adjustable toe arm height to adjust bump steer and heim bushes are an absolute given.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:29 AM   #4481
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

GKTECH is making a name for him/her selfGKTECH is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
So cool how you gentlemen are willing to make things such as this. GKTech reminds of the golden era of Tomei, Nismo, and Cusco, when companies were still making all kinds of fancy parts for the S-chassis.

Can you make a bell housing that mates an RWD SR20 gear box to an SR20VE block? Then I would not have to swap the upper oil pan and mod my bell housing.

Looking forward to acquiring a couple of your suspension pieces as well.
It's surprising that the big brands don't do any development work on the S chassis any more, and really haven't for the past 10 years or so. For us sales are crazy, most of the stuff we can't make fast enough (shipping over 1,000 products a month). We love the S chassis and we don't really know where we will stop. There's still so many parts to make!

Unfortunately the RB25 to SR20 (RWD) and Z33 to SR20 bell housings are the only ones that we've got planned.

Greg
Old 08-12-2012, 05:49 AM   #4482
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

Here's where our production samples are currently at (7075-T6 goodness):

Old 08-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #4483
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Dope! Looks like I'll have some real pics for the big OP update.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #4484
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Also, the Scorch Racing S15 got fourth, also on DW knuckles.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #4485
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKTECH View Post
It's surprising that the big brands don't do any development work on the S chassis any more, and really haven't for the past 10 years or so. For us sales are crazy, most of the stuff we can't make fast enough (shipping over 1,000 products a month). We love the S chassis and we don't really know where we will stop. There's still so many parts to make!

Unfortunately the RB25 to SR20 (RWD) and Z33 to SR20 bell housings are the only ones that we've got planned.

Greg
The reason is I have custom coilovers and my shock adjustments are on the bottom for compression. With the z32 fork i can unhook and adjust. With the s13 style mount i'd have to take the shock out of the housing -_-;

You would be open to z32/r32/r33/r34 market if you made a modular option for the fork! And there are quite a few of us running z32 uprights (for weight savings -- aluminum piece 8lbs lighter than stock?) so this is what it is...
Old 08-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #4486
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripTerror View Post
The reason is I have custom coilovers and my shock adjustments are on the bottom for compression. With the z32 fork i can unhook and adjust. With the s13 style mount i'd have to take the shock out of the housing -_-;

You would be open to z32/r32/r33/r34 market if you made a modular option for the fork! And there are quite a few of us running z32 uprights (for weight savings -- aluminum piece 8lbs lighter than stock?) so this is what it is...
Couldn't you just drill a hole in to the bottom of an s13/14 bracket and run these?
Hardware - Adjustment Knob Extensions
Old 08-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #4487
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

no... its a koni DA shock...
Old 08-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #4488
swiftmini
Zilvia Member

swiftmini is an unknown quantity at this point
I just ditched my gtr hubs, coilies, shafts, diff and subframe. In favour of s14 frame, s13 coilies, geomasters and two way.

The difference is night and day. Why are you so desperate to keep the fork type shocks? They sound like a pain in the ass. If i had to disconnect shocks to make small damping adjustments, id throw the shocks in the ocean. Lol.

EDIT: my car is an r32.

They only thing stopping gktech knuckles fitting any of the above is the shock!
Old 08-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #4489
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

because they are a good race shock with streetable manners driving better than coilovers with softer spring rates -- unlike the garbage most people run. My only step up is AST or Motons. I don't want to downgrade to shitty china/korea/taiwan coilovers. Most of these shocks that have a gajilion adjustments dont adjust worth shit. There are some amazing fork type shocks out there, koni ex-f1 shocks, etc... but again it would be limiting me to running fork type. Most cars run fork type i dont know why our cars have to be unique and run the eye.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #4490
JohanM
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
JohanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
i know this is not where i should ask this question but i figure some one in here would know.

i have Godspeed flca and i need to replace one of the spherical bearing, i have searched every where and can come up with anything. i bought one online but the inside diameter is not the same.

can any one tell me where does godspeed get their spherical bearings from?

thanks
JohanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #4491
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via MSN to Motary
Quote:
Could do, but to me it is easier to turn the whole motor sideways, as I just want to keep it NA and reliable, and run the stock VVL ECU.

Sorry for thread jack. Back to cool angles!
FWD engines have oil drain in the middle of the block, I suppose you've taken that into account and planning to make a rear drainage system?

The billet knuckles look gorgeous, please show us the final product asap!
Motary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:45 AM   #4492
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Wisefab s13 kit in action, OMG WITH FENDERS! That trailing wheel looking all beastly too.

TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:08 AM   #4493
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

A sneaky peak of a near finished product.

Nice and chunky 7075-T6 and still 30% lighter than the standard upright and DW unit

Old 08-20-2012, 06:23 AM   #4494
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
GKTECH, just out of curiosity, how much machine time went into each knuckle?

Also, good choice on using 7075 - I'm assuming you've done some analysis to see how well the knuckle will fatigue?
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:49 AM   #4495
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefro526 View Post
GKTECH, just out of curiosity, how much machine time went into each knuckle?

Also, good choice on using 7075 - I'm assuming you've done some analysis to see how well the knuckle will fatigue?
There's not a heap of machine time, around 3 hours each knuckle.

We sure have done a heap of FEA work. We'll be releasing a video in the next week or so showing our FEA results, along with a bunch of simulations showing the capabilities of the knuckles. Ie. KPI adjustment and its effect, the effect on roll center, the different steering arm options and what they do, bump steer correction etc. etc

Once we test fit the prototypes we'll then move to destructive testing
Old 08-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #4496
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via MSN to Motary
I wouldn't mind doing some of that testing
Looking good so far
Motary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #4497
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
There's not a heap of machine time, around 3 hours each knuckle.

We sure have done a heap of FEA work. We'll be releasing a video in the next week or so showing our FEA results, along with a bunch of simulations showing the capabilities of the knuckles. Ie. KPI adjustment and its effect, the effect on roll center, the different steering arm options and what they do, bump steer correction etc. etc

Once we test fit the prototypes we'll then move to destructive testing
Wow, 3 Hours isn't bad at all. I can't wait to see the FEA.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #4498
My$800S14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
My$800S14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
A sneaky peak of a near finished product.

Nice and chunky 7075-T6 and still 30% lighter than the standard upright and DW unit

Major applause for those Knuckles GKTech, I'm guessing the tie-rod pickup point will be an interchangable arm for making adjustments in length for quicksteer, and angle for ackerman?

Missile Mediaâ„¢2011
Old 08-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #4499
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefro526 View Post
Wow, 3 Hours isn't bad at all. I can't wait to see the FEA.
The FEA work is all done and I've got a few .gifs here from the engineering firm but I'll wait for the complete video to be put together to show everyone

EDIT: sorry, that's only for the actual main body. That doesn't include any of the brackets, spindle etc.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:38 PM   #4500
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by My$800S14 View Post
Major applause for those Knuckles GKTech, I'm guessing the tie-rod pickup point will be an interchangable arm for making adjustments in length for quicksteer, and angle for ackerman?

Missile Media™2011
That is correct.

The general specs are:

- Billet 7075-T6 aluminium modular knuckle for the S chassis (S13 and S14/S15) with Chromoly spindle.

Featuring:
- spindle height raised 40mm's to correct roll center
- modular steering arm (choice between 2 arms at the time of ordering)
- adjustable steering arm to correct bump steer (as seen here: May 31, 2012 2:48pm | Facebook)
- modular caliper mount with ABS provision (choice between 2 brackets at the time of ordering; standard and extended bracket to suit 4pot caliper with 324mm R33 GTR rotor
- S13 version is: 2.52kg which is a 24% reduction over standard
- S14/S15 version is: 2.63kg which is a 31% weight reduction over standard and DriftWorks item which weighs in at 3.8kg's
- adjustable KPI/Camber +/- 2 degrees
- mix and match when ordering. Ie. ability to order the knuckle with S14 spindle, with S14 ball joint insert but with S13 strut bolts (12mm Vs S14/S15 having 14mm)
- CAD files available to the general public for steering arm and caliper bracket development

More info and photos here: GKTECH S Chassis billet aluminium knuckles | Facebook

P.S we've had a few PM's in regards to pricing. The price is confirmed at $599/pair and they're expected to be available in October. We're located in Australia but as both the S13 and S14 sets are under 6kg's in total freight is around $150 and we will have more shipping options available in the near future which should bring the cost down.

Greg