Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:35 PM   #391
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
except for a truck, no one could drift that stupid piece of trash!
hmmm....i wanna try and drift it....lol. Whens the next time you are taking it drifting? lol
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #392
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
but bro... he said hell crush him at the track! that is clearly a beckon for a legit show down.

with all the shit that slips through the cracks on zilvia rob gets pinked? for "suck my ******* *****" ? I guess its ok to talk shit about wheels, knock offs, legit parts, body kits, parts, and other peoples driving skill (only if you back down like a pu.... punk)
I had no idea he got pinked..
He can still post being pinked, at least I could when I was pinked.lasted a month.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:20 PM   #393
roboticnissan
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
roboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Sounds like rob has 626 errogance. I hear that about all 626 drift crew members. He has to be the worst since he is an instructor. He might be great at drifting but disrespect and errogance continues to fuel the fire.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #394
GabeS14
Post Whore!

GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
I wouldn't go that far, I know a lot of the 626 guys and they are great people,

Lets get this thread back on topic to avoid more arguing?

I was always curious about shifting, I know its not recommended to shift during a slide, correct me if I am wrong, but some times you want more and more speed, what to do then?
I guess because I am still not super confident I dont enter the bank at a very high speed but when Im'e already sliding I want to go faster and faster and sometimes It seams that the gear I am in is just not enough.
am I doing it wrong or just need a higher entrance speed?
Old 08-17-2010, 05:27 PM   #395
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
shifting up is touchy, I have done it in my old s14 only a hand full of times and that was going from second to third. From what I can tell it really depends on your contact patch and hp/speed. Bigger power cars can shift up all day long. But with a stock KA you gotta plan that shit out.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:47 PM   #396
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
it's a lot easier to shift up during a transition as the tires are breaking loose, but for those lower hp guys......you either can, or can't.

I always try to upshift at balcony when driving a car over 200whp, sometimes you'll get it, most times....not enough power to spin at that slow of speed.

<----- i support the 626 guys....i'm a dick to only idiots.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #397
Maiku240sxS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (37)
Maiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enoughMaiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enoughMaiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
I have a question....regarding upshifting & balcony. Coming around the ring entering the back straight, I am sometimes close to banging off the limiter. I have tried to upshift to 3rd during transition but with no luck, engine not in the power band (?). Would clutch kicking once or twice while foot is planted on the gas, work?
Maiku240sxS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #398
GripSpec
Leaky Injector

GripSpec is an unknown quantity at this point
I need some advice as far as low hp drifting goes (single cam, welded diff). I have always tried to clutch kick at passed events but my technique is awful. I find myself slowing down way too much for the turn, clutch in, floor it until rev's build, then dropping the clutch. That isn't really drifting to me. Thats more of a moving burnout while turning. Anyways, in order to learn I think I'm going to have to incorporate the ebrake. I notice that I can only get my ebrake to lock (clutch in of course) if I am already braking. If my foot is not on the brake, the ebrake will not lock the wheels.

When you guys are drifting, do you yank the ebrake while you are still braking, then get on the gas, or have you already rolled off the brakes before you pull the brake?
GripSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #399
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Quote:
shifting up is touchy, I have done it in my old s14 only a hand full of times and that was going from second to third. From what I can tell it really depends on your contact patch and hp/speed. Bigger power cars can shift up all day long. But with a stock KA you gotta plan that shit out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fckillerbee View Post
it's a lot easier to shift up during a transition as the tires are breaking loose, but for those lower hp guys......you either can, or can't.
I always try to upshift at balcony when driving a car over 200whp, sometimes you'll get it, most times....not enough power to spin at that slow of speed.
Yea it's exactley at balcony that I was thinking too, I never had an issue but not with not enough power, but maybe too much mixed with my beginerishness..lol
its an sr with upgraded turbo.
I got it a couple of times and the others I spun out because my 3rd gear was stronger than second I guess. ill keep practising I guess it's possible just depends on the smoothness of the driver.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:34 PM   #400
recklessrob

Trader Rating: (0)
recklessrob is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
upshifting mid-drift has a lot to do with the cars setup. youve gotta make it have just the right amount of "float time"(the amount of time it takes for the rear to catch grip mid-drift when you push the clutch in) and its best that the clutch pedal is adjusted for disengagement near the top of the pedals travel to reduce the time needed for disengagement and re-engagement.
recklessrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:52 PM   #401
nieko
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
yeah relax with the 626 stuff BRO, you clearly have never been to our events or know ANY of us personally....

ANYWAYS

Mike!
I havent done it, didnt seem i needed too.

but cody does, you can upshift into 3rd, if you watch him and listen youll hear him kick the clutch 2 even 3 times to get it up into the power band, but once the turbo spools hes fine and waaaaaay down on that back straight hahaha

you gotta learn how to one manji the back straight bro!

And Gabe, its not BAD to upshift mid-drift, but you gotta do it quick or have assloads of power.

its usually a lot easier to do in the middle of a transition because the cars momentum will help
nieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:59 PM   #402
nieko
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripSpec View Post
I need some advice as far as low hp drifting goes (single cam, welded diff). I have always tried to clutch kick at passed events but my technique is awful. I find myself slowing down way too much for the turn, clutch in, floor it until rev's build, then dropping the clutch. That isn't really drifting to me. Thats more of a moving burnout while turning. Anyways, in order to learn I think I'm going to have to incorporate the ebrake. I notice that I can only get my ebrake to lock (clutch in of course) if I am already braking. If my foot is not on the brake, the ebrake will not lock the wheels.

When you guys are drifting, do you yank the ebrake while you are still braking, then get on the gas, or have you already rolled off the brakes before you pull the brake?
Hey, didnt read your post.

I drifted my single cam for like a year and a half with welded diff, maybe bump up your tire pressure in the rear if you are having trouble keeping them spinning.

and when you clutch kick, you dont want to be slowing down then pushing the clutch in then revving it then dropping it.

Set yourself up so you are just kinda flooring into the turn a little above mid-range rpms, and literally just KICK the clutch. it helps to use a little bit of a feint but not totally neccesary.

for example, in second gear, go into the turn like 4k rpms approx when you clutch kick. make sure you foot is all the way to the ground pretty much. once it breaks loose play with the throttle to keep it where you need to.

as far as the ebrake technique. there is NO need to be pushing the brake pedal. The most common mistake people have with ebrakes is they think you hae to just YANK it really fast...

that is not the case AT ALL.

go up to the turn, turn un with the clutch pressed in and pull up on the ebrake until it locks then blip the gas with the clutch in so that when you release the clutch your rpms are where they are supposed to be so you dont end up shiftlocking and slowing yourself down.
nieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:19 AM   #403
recklessrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripSpec View Post

stick with 15's and a stock motor until you get super consistent and absolutely bored. never settle with your cars suspension setup, always try something new. dont mod your car too fast tho, it can really hold you back if you blame your car for your poor driving ability(no offense)(i drifted automatic, opendiff, single cam no problem before; its all about technique. the single cam or dual cam ka can do pretty much anything up to 60mph w the right setup). oh and once your past the donut/figure8 phase, try to buy new tires because youll get more consistent traction and a pair should last an entire event and the drive home.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:07 AM   #404
dpak
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
dpak is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by roboticnissan View Post
Sounds like rob has 626 errogance. I hear that about all 626 drift crew members. He has to be the worst since he is an instructor. He might be great at drifting but disrespect an
d errogance continues to fuel the fire.
wait.. arrogance.. is that like someone talking crap on people they don't know?
I'm not trying to say that Rob didn't do anything wrong,
..but if making generalizations isn't a sign of arrogance, I don't know what is..
not trying to hate or anything, just calling it as I see it.
You can correct me if I'm wrong.

sorry for getting the thread off-topic again op.

coupe <3
dpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #405
GabeS14
Post Whore!

So
Back, on topic.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2010, 09:27 AM   #406
dat411kid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
dat411kid is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nieko View Post
Hey, didnt read your post.

I drifted my single cam for like a year and a half with welded diff, maybe bump up your tire pressure in the rear if you are having trouble keeping them spinning.

and when you clutch kick, you dont want to be slowing down then pushing the clutch in then revving it then dropping it.

Set yourself up so you are just kinda flooring into the turn a little above mid-range rpms, and literally just KICK the clutch. it helps to use a little bit of a feint but not totally neccesary.

for example, in second gear, go into the turn like 4k rpms approx when you clutch kick. make sure you foot is all the way to the ground pretty much. once it breaks loose play with the throttle to keep it where you need to.

as far as the ebrake technique. there is NO need to be pushing the brake pedal. The most common mistake people have with ebrakes is they think you hae to just YANK it really fast...

that is not the case AT ALL.

go up to the turn, turn un with the clutch pressed in and pull up on the ebrake until it locks then blip the gas with the clutch in so that when you release the clutch your rpms are where they are supposed to be so you dont end up shiftlocking and slowing yourself down.
Gonna give this a shot...

Thnx for posting!
Old 08-18-2010, 09:51 AM   #407
Maiku240sxS14
Nissanaholic!

Maiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enoughMaiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enoughMaiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enough
I hear ya Nieko, I probably have more important things to learn than trying to upshift into 3rd at the exit. Hey, when you coming out to Balcony again? For the life of me, I can't seem to get the first initiation down yet at Balcony!
Old 08-18-2010, 01:09 PM   #408
angelus erratus
Leaky Injector

angelus erratus is an unknown quantity at this point
i usally just carry a lot of speed on entrance, and scandanavian flick or brake. I am too scared to use the ebrake becuase every time i try that shit takes forever to lock, and i am too lazy to adjust it, so i think i will learn around it.
angelus erratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #409
roboticnissan
Nissanaholic!

roboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her self
where are you upshifters shifting on balcony??this has got me way curious

especially with the na ka guys twin or single
Old 08-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #410
roboticnissan
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by recklessrob View Post
stick with 15's and a stock motor until you get super consistent and absolutely bored. never settle with your cars suspension setup, always try something new. dont mod your car too fast tho, it can really hold you back if you blame your car for your poor driving ability(no offense)(i drifted automatic, opendiff, single cam no problem before; its all about technique. the single cam or dual cam ka can do pretty much anything up to 60mph w the right setup). oh and once your past the donut/figure8 phase, try to buy new tires because youll get more consistent traction and a pair should last an entire event and the drive home.

dont care what ppl say about this guy rob. i dont even know him at all and i can tell this guys knows how to drift. totally good info across the entire thread
Old 08-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #411
recklessrob

Quote:
where are you upshifters shifting on balcony??this has got me way curious

especially with the na ka guys twin or single
i dont know of anyone upshifting mid-drift w an na ka on balcony. i dont think its possible or neccessary. if its the just-drift layout the upshift happens before initiating left to toward the round-about. other than that 2nd is pretty much king. where/when anyone specific person upshifts is determined by when their torque kicks in an how much "float time" the car is setup for(btw-sequential dogboxes are king in drifting because it allows minimum "float time" hence more grip everywhere. every car w a sequential dogbox is guaranteed to be really fast if setup correctly). the only time 3rd would be possible on an na ka is if the diff ratio was changed to something shorter(and prolly really short; i.e.-4.5:1, 4.7:1 etc.) upshifting on balcony for anything other than the initiation is pretty much over-kill. its possible and if done correctly=superboss but its difficult to achieve. the main point for people to upshift (on the justdrift course) is coming out of the roundabout going onto the end straight to do a high speed shallow angle manji(aka-one manji).
Old 08-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #412
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

YouTube - WSIR Balcony 9/30/07
henry schelley....you can hear him upshift....with 250whp it struggles a little, but catches boost.

You cannot do it with a KA.

Mike, you can do it in your car, but I think it would be easier to upshift mid ring, you just have to watch the throttle carefully......I know you can do it in your car, when I tried upshifting...it was hard, but I could tell it's do able. Try doing the ring only in third.....wide line.

On initiation....it's strictly timing. If you would let me drive your car and sit in your own passenger seat, you'll see the line I take. hahaaa
Old 08-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #413
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

and DAT411.....the reason why your e-brake locks up during braking is because it's already under pressure. If you tighted your e-brake, you will have better luck.

And when you initiate...give it just a tad bit of turn in before you "KICK" the clutch. You cannot do a burnout in a KA doing 60, it'll take some weigt shifting to get the friction off of your tires to break traction.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:00 PM   #414
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeS14 View Post
Yea it's exactley at balcony that I was thinking too, I never had an issue but not with not enough power, but maybe too much mixed with my beginerishness..lol
its an sr with upgraded turbo.
I got it a couple of times and the others I spun out because my 3rd gear was stronger than second I guess. ill keep practising I guess it's possible just depends on the smoothness of the driver.

remember....wheel speed- gear ratio.

If you upshift to third, you are creating less friction at "x" given speed.

Think of it in a simple mindset.

If the front tire is going with the road at 60mph, and your rear tires are drifting at 70, then you upshift, by the time you are at redline, your tires are now doing 100mph in the rear. Now think of a burnout....when the tires spin slower, they grip....same basis....only opposite....too much wheelspeed gives less grip....

which is why my ka pulls on sr's mid drift.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #415
roboticnissan
Nissanaholic!

Ok my misreading I guess. Made no sense to me for someone to upshift at all. I guess to prepare for the 3rd gear manji towars the back j turn makes sense tho.

Don't know if anyone else ever does this, but when I was ka24e I used to back up to the fence to get like another 30 feet for more speed and I reached third gear initiation and did a 2nd gear downshift mid transition.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #416
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

orrrrrr......grip the back turn top of second, and it'll set you up for 3rd gear 62mph initiation....

the only way I do balcony ;D

If upshifting is easier for you to keep drifting in power, then do it, if you don't need to, don't do it....drifting is a "what do I want" .

If you don't need to pull the e-brake...then why worry about it.

If you are just drifting the ring, then why manji the back....

It's cause you want to....
Old 08-18-2010, 05:22 PM   #417
roboticnissan
Nissanaholic!

How do you set your car up position wise for your entry at balcony? Where do you put your car in the lane?
Old 08-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #418
GripSpec
Leaky Injector

GripSpec is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks nieko and rob for the help and tips. Makes a lot more sense than the technique i've been using.
GripSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #419
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
Quote:
How do you set your car up position wise for your entry at balcony? Where do you put your car in the lane?
Like any other racing, outside to inside and back outside. just take the apex.
SOHC, 15x8's about 4 years ago. welded diff, shocks and springs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6utQQAcAjM

My fastest entry in a KA at balcony is just maybe over 50mph.
I come in 3rd, e brake in, downshift in transition, feather it around towards the wall, then just stand on it.
The car has a govener, so it just bounces off the rev limiter, if i need to clutch kick, i just keep the gas down and give it a kick or 2.
If your tires are really slick/hot/cheap, you can upshift the manji straight after your 2nd or 3rd transition.

I also will downshift and upshift mid drift all the time.
Just depends on the situation.
If you feel you might need to, try it out.
Everyones car is set up different and everyone drives different.
So everythings just an opinion of different things to try
ericcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #420
Maiku240sxS14
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieko View Post
you gotta learn how to one manji the back straight bro!
I didn't understand what you meant there, till I saw the video David posted. DAYUUUM...never saw that done before.

David you keep saying that! But I've already been to Balcony twice already. Its getting frustrating looking at the GoPro vid's. When I'm watching I know when I should be initiating. Its when I'm IN the car, I'm lost.