Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #391
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
futures14drift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates.
Havent done too much but today i took the manifold back off to fix the leaking fitting.

I overtightened the fitting and snapped it in half..100% my mistake but no big deal. I got the part of the fitting in the turbo out really easily, thank god it came out just by sticking a flathead in there and threading it out. Tomorrow im going to replace the line and hopefully not over tighten the fitting..Lol.

Also painted my cage purple..
futures14drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2014, 06:15 PM   #392
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Need some help here.

I fixed the fitting, put everything back together. went to start the car, and it has power but WILL NOT crank over at all. When i turn the key on accessory, the gauges light up/radio etc, but when i turn it to start the engine the radio shuts off. I switched batteries, same problem. Eliminated the circuit breaker, still same problem. ground is good/clean/tight. positive is also good.

Could it be the starter?

any help is appreciated, thanks.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:34 PM   #393
Dany
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Dany is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I think it is the starter ? It doesn't crank it just makes a click sound and everything turns off?
Dany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:47 PM   #394
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
BoostSlideWayz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BoostSlideWayz Send a message via Yahoo to BoostSlideWayz
Looks like its on the right track, wish i got into cars at that age !

If its clicking there is either not enough voltage going to it or its taking too much torque to crank the engine over which may be a result of a bad starter. If the starter simply doesnt have the torque/strength to crank over id assume its one or the other.

maybe with a breaker bar just for the hell of it see if the engine feels free. Or if your 100% sure there is no engine problems then must be the starter.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:43 PM   #395
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostSlideWayz View Post
Looks like its on the right track, wish i got into cars at that age !

If its clicking there is either not enough voltage going to it or its taking too much torque to crank the engine over which may be a result of a bad starter. If the starter simply doesnt have the torque/strength to crank over id assume its one or the other.

maybe with a breaker bar just for the hell of it see if the engine feels free. Or if your 100% sure there is no engine problems then must be the starter.
so its gotta be starter. the engine ran perfect other than leaking fitting last week so it is 100% ok
Old 02-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #396
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Sup guys...Sorry for the lack of updates, i was on vacation in Florida.
I took out my starter and got it bench tested and checked out and its fine. I just got back this morning so im gonna go put it back in and see what happens.

Anyone's car on here?
Del ray beach Florida, automatic S14

Also saw this thing, thought you guys would laugh.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #397
erics240sx
Leaky Injector

erics240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by futures14drift View Post
I took out my starter and got it bench tested and checked out and its fine. I just got back this morning so im gonna go put it back in and see what happens.

Anyone's car on here?

Just to let you know!! just cause you bench tested it dosnt mean it will work. I've had isues with my sr20 starters before. If I pulled mine out of the car and jumped it than put it back in the car it would start it like one time but than fail again. Etc etc I've done it a few times. Sometimes the starter isn't strong enough. If yours continues to work your one lucky mofo. Lol. Keep ip the good work. Hope this helps. 👍👍
erics240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #398
erics240sx
Leaky Injector

Quote:

Anyone's car on here?

Just to let you know!! just cause you bench tested it dosnt mean it will work. I've had isues with my sr20 starters before. If I pulled mine out of the car and jumped it than put it back in the car it would start it like one time but than fail again. Etc etc I've done it a few times. Sometimes the starter isn't strong enough. If yours continues to work your one lucky mofo. Lol. Keep ip the good work. Hope this helps.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:35 AM   #399
erics240sx
Leaky Injector

That's weird idk why there were two posts sorry guys.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:32 PM   #400
OMFGeofffff
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
OMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
This may sound stupid but maybe the clutch switch? It's not reading the clutch is pressed down?
OMFGeofffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:47 PM   #401
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Thedriftbadger is an unknown quantity at this point
Picture of the s14 is like 10 minutes from my house lol.
Thedriftbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:42 PM   #402
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Need some help here.

I fixed the fitting, put everything back together. went to start the car, and it has power but WILL NOT crank over at all. When i turn the key on accessory, the gauges light up/radio etc, but when i turn it to start the engine the radio shuts off. I switched batteries, same problem. Eliminated the circuit breaker, still same problem. ground is good/clean/tight. positive is also good.

Could it be the starter?

any help is appreciated, thanks.
To check the starter in place to entirely eliminate it as a possible problem, jump it. If you don't jump directly to the starter (for safety/accessibility reasons, with live wires and all) but to the starter circuit, check continuity to the starter from the point you're jumping to, first.

(Make sure you make and break the contact fast and firmly, if you have a little alligator clip or something that'd be good, or it will arc with how much it should draw.)

It's easy to set a push-button temporarially, if you want to drive it before you get a chance to diagnose the culprit.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:43 PM   #403
Lt Shinysides
Leaky Injector

Lt Shinysides is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
To check the starter in place to entirely eliminate it as a possible problem, jump it. If you don't jump directly to the starter (for safety/accessibility reasons, with live wires and all) but to the starter circuit, check continuity to the starter from the point you're jumping to, first.

(Make sure you make and break the contact fast and firmly, if you have a little alligator clip or something that'd be good, or it will arc with how much it should draw.)

It's easy to set a push-button temporarially, if you want to drive it before you get a chance to diagnose the culprit.

Not a mechanical moron^
Lt Shinysides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #404
SD_Kouki
Zilvia Member

SD_Kouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Am I the only one that is having a hard time believing that this kid is funding this build entirely on his own working only 8 hours a week? Shit I work 30-40 hrs a week at $18/hr and I still can barely fund my car...perhaps it's because he has no bills to pay and any income is all his to keep but damn...something seems off, I think this kid gets a lot of mom and dad's allowance lol

Whatever the case is, tuned in for updates. If this is all you buddy keep it up.
SD_Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:08 PM   #405
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Kouki View Post
Am I the only one that is having a hard time believing that this kid is funding this build entirely on his own working only 8 hours a week? Shit I work 30-40 hrs a week at $18/hr and I still can barely fund my car...perhaps it's because he has no bills to pay and any income is all his to keep but damn...something seems off, I think this kid gets a lot of mom and dad's allowance lol Tuned in for updates. If this is all you buddy keep it up.
FTFY

Old 02-24-2014, 01:17 PM   #406
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Am I the only one that is having a hard time believing that this kid is funding this build entirely on his own working only 8 hours a week? Shit I work 30-40 hrs a week at $18/hr and I still can barely fund my car...perhaps it's because he has no bills to pay and any income is all his to keep but damn...something seems off, I think this kid gets a lot of mom and dad's allowance lol

Whatever the case is, tuned in for updates. If this is all you buddy keep it up.
Lol..i never said i paid for every single thing myself. that would be a lie. My dad helped me get started but with the car and stuff but i pay for everything i can and if i cant afford it myself i dont buy it, and yes i have absolutely 0 bills to pay.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:17 PM   #407
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post

Thanks. I put positive power to the starter and it started right up. i think the wiring harness is at fault..brand new harness.. sucks
Old 02-24-2014, 11:27 PM   #408
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Thanks. I put positive power to the starter and it started right up. i think the wiring harness is at fault..brand new harness.. sucks

Good lord. Hard to think WSP harness is so messed up. I had the coil pack ground issue but otherwise good. Maybe the "tech" building it was having a bad day?
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #409
shawn1331
Leaky Injector

shawn1331 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool build and all, I'm in the same boat but I don't really plan on doing a lot of stuff you're doing.

ps. you kinda did say you pay for it all yourself a few times but hey whatever. youre lucky you're parents are willing to help pay for parts.
shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:16 PM   #410
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Good news guys! Got the car running 100%. turns out the leaking fitting was really just the oil feed line on the turbo was leaking down onto the AN fitting..which made me think it was that fitting cause it was covered in oil.
Also, the car would not crank because the clutch pedal wasnt down. This sounds really stupid, which it is, but i never put my foot down because theres no pressure in the clutch so it stayed down on the floor and i put it up one day and never thought of it because i didnt put my foot on it before, rookie mistake, lol.

All i need to drive the car is a bleeder for the clutch(does anyone know what size it is?) and a power steering res.

I also need to wire in my electric fans with a thermo switch. Video of car running: http://instagram.com/p/k2zt7eyIB5/ Its running rough cause i couldnt let it warm up for long cause the fans werent working, and it was tuned before i got the motor in 102 degree weather so it needs a re tune.

Also TIAL Q BOV is not setup because the valve spring is wrong so i need to get a boost gauge that tells me vaccum pressure so i can order the correct valve spring. the motor came with that BOV and spring so i have no idea what happened there.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:45 PM   #411
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Good news guys! Got the car running 100%. turns out the leaking fitting was really just the oil feed line on the turbo was leaking down onto the AN fitting..which made me think it was that fitting cause it was covered in oil.
Also, the car would not crank because the clutch pedal wasnt down. This sounds really stupid, which it is, but i never put my foot down because theres no pressure in the clutch so it stayed down on the floor and i put it up one day and never thought of it because i didnt put my foot on it before, rookie mistake, lol.

All i need to drive the car is a bleeder for the clutch(does anyone know what size it is?) and a power steering res.

I also need to wire in my electric fans with a thermo switch. Video of car running: http://instagram.com/p/k2zt7eyIB5/ Its running rough cause i couldnt let it warm up for long cause the fans werent working, and it was tuned before i got the motor in 102 degree weather so it needs a re tune.

Also TIAL Q BOV is not setup because the valve spring is wrong so i need to get a boost gauge that tells me vaccum pressure so i can order the correct valve spring. the motor came with that BOV and spring so i have no idea what happened there.

1. It happens lol.

2. You shouldn't need a bleeder? Have a friend pump that bitch till she's firm and hold it, then quickly open and close the bleeder on the slave. Repeat until it doesn't bleed air.

3. Best setup I've been using for 2 years is a probe in the upper rad hose that grounds a relay for the fans. Got mine from jegs and is 180/165

4. And I'm confused what you mean by wrong spring? Wrong spring as in too stiff for the boost your running? Why would you need a vac gauge for a BOV spring?
Old 02-26-2014, 07:48 PM   #412
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev71893 View Post
1. It happens lol.

2. You shouldn't need a bleeder? Have a friend pump that bitch till she's firm and hold it, then quickly open and close the bleeder on the slave. Repeat until it doesn't bleed air.

3. Best setup I've been using for 2 years is a probe in the upper rad hose that grounds a relay for the fans. Got mine from jegs and is 180/165

4. And I'm confused what you mean by wrong spring? Wrong spring as in too stiff for the boost your running? Why would you need a vac gauge for a BOV spring?
There is no bleeder on the slave..thats what im missing lol.

Yeah my friend has a kit from summit racing thats $35 new and its still in box so im just gonna grab that from him for $20.

I am confused too... this is how it was explained to me: all the intercooler piping is like a penis and the blow off valve is acting as a hole in the penis, so you are peeing on the side of your leg.. literally it was explained like that lol. It stays open at the wrong times because the valve spring is the wrong one. its like all the air going in to my turbo is not going there and its going out.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:50 PM   #413
Lt Shinysides
Leaky Injector

Lt Shinysides is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

Yeah my friend has a kit from summit racing thats $35 new and its still in box so im just gonna grab that from him for $20.

I am confused too... this is how it was explained to me: all the intercooler piping is like a penis and the blow off valve is acting as a hole in the penis, so you are peeing on the side of your leg.. literally it was explained like that lol. It stays open at the wrong times because the valve spring is the wrong one. its like all the air going in to my turbo is not going there and its going out.

Penis......?
Lt Shinysides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:53 PM   #414
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Quote:

What? Lol. Ok look. If it's randomly opening and closing during vacuum and/or boost you might have a combo of the BOV being dirty/sometimes stuck and a weak and worn spring. That's all there is to it. Unless if the flange is leaking, then it needs to be sealed. Idk wtf was that penis thing and uncontrolled bladder shit lol.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:17 PM   #415
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev71893 View Post
What? Lol. Ok look. If it's randomly opening and closing during vacuum and/or boost you might have a combo of the BOV being dirty/sometimes stuck and a weak and worn spring. That's all there is to it. Unless if the flange is leaking, then it needs to be sealed. Idk wtf was that penis thing and uncontrolled bladder shit lol.
Lmfao it makes sense though..thats how it was explained to me and it made sense. Russ from dangdrifters told me that and that its the valve spring.. it stays wide open at idle
Old 02-26-2014, 08:50 PM   #416
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Lmfao it makes sense though..thats how it was explained to me and it made sense. Russ from dangdrifters told me that and that its the valve spring.. it stays wide open at idle

Well cleaning it and lubeing it are practically free so I'd try that to eliminate it being stuck
Old 02-27-2014, 03:07 AM   #417
OMFGeofffff
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
OMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Glad you got the car started. Look back at post #400
OMFGeofffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:56 PM   #418
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFGeofffff View Post
Glad you got the car started. Look back at post #400
Yeah man.. thanks for that lol i never even thought of it even after reading your post because there was no seat in the car anyway so i really just leaned in the window and turned key..stupid mistake
Old 03-01-2014, 03:23 PM   #419
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

if anyone has a s13 dohc powersteering res i will buy it asap. lmk
Old 03-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #420
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:

thanks man..and it really is all me with the help of a few friends when i get stuck..but thanks man.