Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-10-2011, 02:47 AM   #3991
Homer_Simpson
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Homer_Simpson is on the path to ruinHomer_Simpson is on the path to ruinHomer_Simpson is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr23det View Post
S13 SR, having a hard time starting when cold. starts fine when hot
Cold start signal wire.
Homer_Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2011, 05:46 AM   #3992
sr23det
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
sr23det is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i cant seem to find that in the fsm, well atleast in the s14 fsm since i cant read japanese for the s13.
sr23det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:48 AM   #3993
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to smoked240
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150james View Post
Thank you smoked240 for all your help! Just finished up gettin it recirculated an took it for a ride. Didn't stall once an I didn't have to fluter the gas to keep it from not stalling. It still was having a ruff time idling though. It would drop down then come up to 900rpm sit for a while then go to normal
You are welcome. For the idle issue it sounds like it may a vacuum/boost leak. I would go around to each clamp and just tighten them all up. Or with the engine running take a can of carb cleaner and spray around each vacuum line and intercooler tube,around the couplers.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #3994
obsolete
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
obsolete is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr23det View Post
i cant seem to find that in the fsm, well atleast in the s14 fsm since i cant read japanese for the s13.
http://zilvia.net/f/engine-tech/1911...when-cold.html
obsolete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:52 AM   #3995
sr23det
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
sr23det is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
thanks

msglenght
sr23det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:48 AM   #3996
ichihachizero
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (13)
ichihachizero is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Anyone know where to get the t28 to redtop oil dump ??
ichihachizero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #3997
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichihachizero View Post
Anyone know where to get the t28 to redtop oil dump ??
Talking about the flange on the bottom

Just us ea drill to slot the lower holes, and the redtop oil drain will work just perfectly. Same with GT series turbos.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #3998
ichihachizero
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (13)
ichihachizero is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Thanks!!^^
ichihachizero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #3999
RNGWLD
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
RNGWLD is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
'Sup guys. I just installed a "new" exhaust on my s13. In reality, its a super ghetto 2.5" straight pipe to muffler from the catback which was originally fitted on an s14. I had to mod it to get it to fit, but the muffler sits less than 1 inch from the gas tank.

Can I get away with covering the gas tank with heat wrap? Or should I add a sort of metal heat shield as well to avoid going BOOM
RNGWLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #4000
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNGWLD View Post
'Sup guys. I just installed a "new" exhaust on my s13. In reality, its a super ghetto 2.5" straight pipe to muffler from the catback which was originally fitted on an s14. I had to mod it to get it to fit, but the muffler sits less than 1 inch from the gas tank.

Can I get away with covering the gas tank with heat wrap? Or should I add a sort of metal heat shield as well to avoid going BOOM
should be fine. Heck on most cars it's only 1-2 inches away as it is. If your'e concerned, wrap that section

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 01-11-2011, 08:30 AM   #4001
hellion240sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
hellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm looking to paint my strut bar. What should I go by. Not the whole bar just the plates. Thank you. If I do it today I will post a vid
Old 01-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #4002
Melo_speed

Melo_speed is an unknown quantity at this point
Im planning on getting a s14 and i want to stuff some massive tires under it i was thinking 17" or 18" by f 9/r 10 0+ offset all around.

Will this be a good setup or can i go wider without having major issues, front tires 255+ and rear 275+

Pictures will be helpfull.

Thanks in advanced.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #4003
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
RedSiBaron is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
alright, i have searched and searched and i cant seem to find any talking about this or asking this question...i just bought an entire s13 subframe assembly which includes the differential...all in wonderful condition...

MY QUESTION:
is an s13 automatic differential the SAME as a manual? my car is manual and my spare subframe assembly came out of an auto...

EDIT:SORRY, I FOUND MY ANSWER...THEY ARE THE SAME
RedSiBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #4004
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellion240sx View Post
I'm looking to paint my strut bar. What should I go by. Not the whole bar just the plates. Thank you. If I do it today I will post a vid
Sand em
Primer them
Rustoleum them.

or just get them powdercoated for the 15-20 bucks it costs.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #4005
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Why would you post a video of something so trivial?
Old 01-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #4006
hellion240sx
Zilvia FREAK!

hellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Sand em
Primer them
Rustoleum them.

or just get them powdercoated for the 15-20 bucks it costs.
Well I didn't have of today, Got caslled in to work right after I posted this

anyway I know thats the jist of it. But I was looking more for what grit, how many coats, etc. Thanks again. I want to do it you know. Want to do a vid in case anyone else iswondering how to do it. i youtubed "how to paint a strut bar" and nothing came out. So if you can give me some pointers, that would be great!
Old 01-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #4007
hellion240sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSiBaron View Post
Why would you post a video of something so trivial?
cause there isn't one out yet In case someone else was wondering the same.

well that and youtube doesn't have enough trivial videos. imho
Old 01-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #4008
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Well I didn't have of today, Got caslled in to work right after I posted this

anyway I know thats the jist of it. But I was looking more for what grit, how many coats, etc. Thanks again. I want to do it you know. Want to do a vid in case anyone else iswondering how to do it. i youtubed "how to paint a strut bar" and nothing came out. So if you can give me some pointers, that would be great!

You're looking pretty far into it haha. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's a simple paint job. Just scruff the surface of them, primer them, and then give them a final coat with color of choice.

If you are pront to lay tools in that area, they can chip and look funky. This is why powdercoat is such an attractive option.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:36 PM   #4009
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
cause there isn't one out yet In case someone else was wondering the same.

well that and youtube doesn't have enough trivial videos. imho
There are plenty of videos on how to paint metal objects...
Old 01-11-2011, 04:38 PM   #4010
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melo_speed View Post
Im planning on getting a s14 and i want to stuff some massive tires under it i was thinking 17" or 18" by f 9/r 10 0+ offset all around.

Will this be a good setup or can i go wider without having major issues, front tires 255+ and rear 275+

Pictures will be helpfull.

Thanks in advanced.

275's on a 10" wide wheel with 0 ofset will NEVER fit without some serious bodywork/over fenders. Same with the front, fitting a 255 on such a wide and huge offset will be almost impossible on stock stuff.

If you're looking for a real grip monster you could probably go with a 8.5 front and 9 rear, and fit those size tires and be closer to fitting with something in the 25ish offset range all around.

I currently run 8" front and 8.5" rear Z33 Track 18's (i think both are like +30) with a 245 up front and a 265 out back (NT05's, big wide square sidewall) and they required a little roll front and rear. I actually had to run a 10mm spacer up front to help bring it away from the koni's haha.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #4011
hellion240sx
Zilvia FREAK!

ok so based on sand, primer, paint. looks like these are the things i need....

first. should I just use one type of sandpaper? or should i use a coarse then fine, or just fine?

Advance Auto Parts: Search Results for sandpaper

I'll use this primer :

Advance Auto Parts: Brite Touch Gray Primer by Brite Touch - Part BT49

and color it with this:

Advance Auto Parts: Rust Tough&#174 by Krylon - Part RTA9202

AM I on the right path? thanks again.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #4012
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to smoked240
Quote:

first. should I just use one type of sandpaper? or should i use a coarse then fine, or just fine?

I'll use this primer :

and color it with this:

For the primer I would get a sandable primer filler so it will sand smoother and look so much cleaner. I used High build sandable primer from PPG on my old rims and they turned out great.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #4013
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:

I'll use this primer :

and color it with this:

Sure I guess, this isn't rocket science...you don't need to sand down the bracket, just scuff it to promote adhesion, use between 300 and 400 grit sand paper, wet or dry paper, don't need to wet sand...if you are good at painting you can just shoot sealer primer and then shoot a paint of the same brand...if you are worried about getting a run in the paint, use a sandable primer, that way it builds thicker and if you need you can sand out the run...

I like duplicolor products for rattle can jobs, they make a good product...always match primer to paint to ensure compatibility...since primer acts as an adhesion layer between surface and paint, you need to ensure that the proper chemical reaction between primer and paint occurs...

Another trick is make hangers out of clothes hangers (I usually use a length hanger wire to make a line of wire with a j hook at either end) that way you can shoot in a full 360 around the part without having to shoot, wait, flip, then shoot the part...

You can apply this method to anything you paint, though doing a good high grit staged process 300ish grit to 400ish grit to 600 grit wet sand finishing on primer will result in smoother paint, but what you're doing shouldn't require this method
Old 01-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #4014
slideways2004
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
slideways2004 will become famous soon enoughslideways2004 will become famous soon enoughslideways2004 will become famous soon enoughslideways2004 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slideways2004
Making a hydraulic ebrake and need some help on bore size.

Z32 rear calipers
hawk hps pads
wilwood cylinder - 5/8 or 3/4"?
slideways2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:45 PM   #4015
Melo_speed

Melo_speed is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
275's on a 10" wide wheel with 0 ofset will NEVER fit without some serious bodywork/over fenders. Same with the front, fitting a 255 on such a wide and huge offset will be almost impossible on stock stuff.

If you're looking for a real grip monster you could probably go with a 8.5 front and 9 rear, and fit those size tires and be closer to fitting with something in the 25ish offset range all around.

I currently run 8" front and 8.5" rear Z33 Track 18's (i think both are like +30) with a 245 up front and a 265 out back (NT05's, big wide square sidewall) and they required a little roll front and rear. I actually had to run a 10mm spacer up front to help bring it away from the koni's haha.
I dont mind working on the body and installing over fenders i just want a beefy wide stance that can handle any corner i throw at it.

And as for parts i plan to replace everything, nothing will remain stock with the suspension.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #4016
arj

arj is an unknown quantity at this point
i know this is stupid question but i gotta ask you guys if i can use same gear oil/fluid in my transmission and differential? like the amsoil transmission and transaxle gear or like the lucas oil syn 75/90 trans & diff lube? thanks
arj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #4017
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by arj View Post
i know this is stupid question but i gotta ask you guys if i can use same gear oil/fluid in my transmission and differential? like the amsoil transmission and transaxle gear or like the lucas oil syn 75/90 trans & diff lube? thanks
You can use GL4 in both. Diff can use GL5 cause there is no yellow metal in it.

AMSOIL - Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90 (MTG)
Old 01-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #4018
arj

arj is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
You can use GL4 in both. Diff can use GL5 cause there is no yellow metal in it.

AMSOIL - (MTG)
Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90

you mean i can use Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90 in my tranny and diff?
arj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #4019
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by arj View Post
Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90

you mean i can use Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90 in my tranny and diff?
The transmission in our cars have a certain metal in it, i think its copper but i don't remember so don't quote me, that is eaten away by GL-5 gear fluid. The differential doesn't use this metal, since it's pretty much one giant gear, so you can use GL-5 gear oil in it (which is most common now.)

The transmission, however, uses these metals in the synchros i believe, again don't quote me i might be wrong, and these will eventually be corroded with the GL-5 fluid, so we need to strictly use GL-4 gear fluid, not a blend.

Synthetic or not doesn't matter, as long as it isn't GL-5 of GL-4/5 blend.

Companies that make GL-5 is Redline (amazing) AMSOIL (just as good) Royal Purple (meh) and a few other "performance" oil companies.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:49 PM   #4020
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Does anyone know the blinker rate for s13 blinkers? Or can i just count it with a counter and a stop watch?