Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #361
Pure_JDM
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Pure_JDM is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Awesome thread guys, I wanted to let ya know that it's appreciated.
Pure_JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #362
3AM
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
3AM is making a name for him/her self3AM is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So does anyone have a source to get new pins from? doing my looms soon and have no idea where to start looking for new pins for the factory plugs.
3AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #363
mrchomponthis
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
mrchomponthis is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
just re use your old pins its already been covered
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3AM View Post
So does anyone have a source to get new pins from? doing my looms soon and have no idea where to start looking for new pins for the factory plugs.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #364
3AM
Leaky Injector

3AM is making a name for him/her self3AM is making a name for him/her self
do you mean removing the old pins and recrimping them? or soldering the old plugs into the new loom?,

both sound like bad idea.
3AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #365
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
You won't be able to de-crimp the old pins.

I've had great success with soldering new wire to the old pins by cutting ~1.5" pigtails (staggered so as not to cause a 'clump' when re-sleeved) and removing all the insulation. Then assuming the crimp and pin are in good condition, solder to the old wire and slide heat shrink all the way up the wire to the crimp.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #366
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
The pins are universal electric bullshit. it's the plugs you'd be hard to find new.

Last edited by Om1kron; 03-07-2011 at 02:28 AM..
Om1kron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #367
mrchomponthis
Zilvia Addict

mrchomponthis is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks for the info
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
You won't be able to de-crimp the old pins.

I've had great success with soldering new wire to the old pins by cutting ~1.5" pigtails (staggered so as not to cause a 'clump' when re-sleeved) and removing all the insulation. Then assuming the crimp and pin are in good condition, solder to the old wire and slide heat shrink all the way up the wire to the crimp.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #368
bb4_96
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
bb4_96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
The pins are universal electric bullshit. it's the plugs you'd be hard to find new.

Not entirely true on both accounts.
bb4_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #369
bb4_96
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideways74 View Post
I can't take credit for the wire tuck on my car. But I did work my ass off to make the money it cost me to have it done, so I'll take credit that way.

Full chassis rewire. Engine harness has all unnecessary wires removed. All wires sleeved. Fuse panel rebuilt and moved under dash. OBDII port wired in (its a 95 S14).Pictures are worth 100 words so...

You sir, are a motherfucker, I mean that in the best way.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #370
NORFY
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
NORFY is just really niceNORFY is just really niceNORFY is just really niceNORFY is just really niceNORFY is just really niceNORFY is just really niceNORFY is just really niceNORFY is just really niceNORFY is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My car is a s13 uk spec with a ca18det and silvia front

Over the past few months I've been working on making my car a bit tidier, namely building a custom loom and trying to tidy alot of the car up. I'm pretty much a wiring freak. Also worth noting is that this build is only semi-tucked/tidied, I use the car on track so need some function as well.

Anyway, the loom I've been working on.

To keep things neat, relocated the ecu to the centre and the ECCS loom to come through the firewall directly in front to keep it neat

My ECCS loom. Made it to hide under the inlet

Engine all wired in

Also I routed the afm cable down the passenger wing and up in the front of the arch (in my custom airbox)

Built up separate arch looms to feed the front lights. Now have 7 wires in each.

Most of this lot is for the central fuse boxes and switch panel

Central located maxi fuses

Switch panel

Couldn't lose or hide the wipermotor so this was the best I could do with hiding the wiring
Old 03-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #371
bb4_96
Zilvia Addict

Quote:

There is no trouble getting these at all. There just isn't enough demand for any individual or shop to stock them. You'll be lucky if the supplier will sell you only a single reel (3000 pins). In addition the reels aren't cheap when you can find them. I had a guy look me square in the eye and tell me he'd sell me 500 of everything I needed for $1 per contact lol. Or go the other route and buy chinese knockoffs of the original parts.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:29 AM   #372
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
Stock wiring . Stripped everything except head lights, tail lights, fuel. Ignition . I depinned from the main harness located on the driver side by your left foot. Still not done but almost. Need to finish the front headlights

Old 04-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #373
Wongger
Zilvia Member

Wongger is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow, I love this thread. I wish I could do something like this, but I do not have the patience lol.
Wongger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #374
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:

God I wish they were universal. There are as many different styles of pins as there are models of cars on the road. Now I don't rewire entire cars for a living, but I do some form of wiring in them all day long, 6 days a week. And I work on virtually every model of car out there new and old. I have unplugged and replugged at least a couple hundred thousand OEM plugs in my 19 years of installation. Anything from radio plugs to BCM, ECM, and anything and everything in between... from a Kia Spectra to Lamborghinis and Ferraris. Many times I have to add OEM pins if I'm adding cruise control or something of the sort.

As for the plugs, you can get them brand new, you just may need to buy them in bulk. I know Chase has all of the new OEM KA, SR, LS, Honda plugs and so on in stock.... so they can definitely be had. But I guarantee you he had to buy most of them in bulk.

I can't wait till I can post a picture of mine in here again.

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:55 AM   #375
JaredP
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
JaredP is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
good thread, but a couple questions:

1. is it ok (electrically, considering resistances) to cut that much out of the interior/engine room harness? im assuming yes since no one has complained about stuff not working after.

2. whats a good "off the shelf" fuse/relay holder i can use if i choose to get rid of the fuse/relay boxes? also assuming most will work as long as you get the right type of relays

3. can anyone post more pics of how the wiring is ran inside behind the dash. wouldnt mind getting some ideas that way

4. what about grounds? did you all keep the grounds grouped like they come stock (only 3 or 4 main chassis grounds for the interior harness) or did you remake most of them
JaredP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #376
WISH ONE
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
WISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WISH ONE
What about vibration, are old connectors more prone to failure due to excessive vibration racing-wise?
When re-doing a harness is everyone replacing all these ends or continuing to use the old ones?
Old 04-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #377
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

^
it could just be me but got some of my connectors they were hard to remove. So I doubt I'll have issues. But this I's for the chassis harness and the one going to the fuse boxes I'n the engine bay. The wires I did have to cut . I heat shrink them and soder them.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #378
PerilousActs
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
PerilousActs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by godrifttoday View Post
^
it could just be me but got some of my connectors they were hard to remove. So I doubt I'll have issues. But this I's for the chassis harness and the one going to the fuse boxes I'n the engine bay. The wires I did have to cut . I heat shrink them and soder them.
The proper way is to actually crimp them back. Solder does not hold up well to vibration. I know a lot of people do it and have no problems, but keep it in mind. As long as there is proper strain relief, you might be able to get away with it (which is what the heatshrink should help with).
PerilousActs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #379
unpaintedhatch
Leaky Injector

unpaintedhatch is an unknown quantity at this point
That Dakota Digital encoder looks exactly like the programmable logic controllers i use at work... I love this thread..
unpaintedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:09 PM   #380
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerilousActs View Post
The proper way is to actually crimp them back. Solder does not hold up well to vibration. I know a lot of people do it and have no problems, but keep it in mind. As long as there is proper strain relief, you might be able to get away with it (which is what the heatshrink should help with).
i did notice that on the stock wiring, they are criped on their but for the wiring i did solder and heat shirnk their is plenty of slack its for the rear lights
Old 04-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #381
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredP View Post

1. is it ok (electrically, considering resistances) to cut that much out of the interior/engine room harness? im assuming yes since no one has complained about stuff not working after.

2. whats a good "off the shelf" fuse/relay holder i can use if i choose to get rid of the fuse/relay boxes? also assuming most will work as long as you get the right type of relays

3. can anyone post more pics of how the wiring is ran inside behind the dash. wouldnt mind getting some ideas that way

4. what about grounds? did you all keep the grounds grouped like they come stock (only 3 or 4 main chassis grounds for the interior harness) or did you remake most of them
No offense, but if you have to ask these types of questions, then you have no business rewiring your entire vehicle yourself.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 04-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #382
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredP View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
No offense, but if you have to ask these types of questions, then you have no business rewiring your entire vehicle yourself.
Some of the questions are valid.

1. I don't know shit about resistances I know I cut a good 3 feet of wire out of my sr20 harness.

turned these two

into this

turns out I used non adhesive heat shrink in a few places so had to re-heat shrink all of the soldering just in case. Also had to open it up a few nights ago turns out some shielding was touching a solder joint in heat shrink on the tps wiring. (my fault)

that's what it looks like now. Going to make an all new harness with my engine management wired into the mix and replace a few oem components with those fancy douche connectors (lol too lazy to find the proper spelling)

2. There is no off the shelf relay holder, you won't find half of the shit you need in a store. Blue Sea is a good one (google it, not spoon feeding you.) There is a s14 fusebox relocation thread you can reference that. The rest you need to study your service manuals electric section and learn how to understand that.

You will quickly come to realize only like 6 fucking people on this website know what they're talking about when it comes to wiring and wiring diagrams, etc. and only like 1 person I trust as far as how electronics essentially even work.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #383
JaredP
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
the only questions i can see not being an issue with someone who was very comfortable with wiring are 1 and 4, and even 4 is more of a "is the grouped grounding enough or were better results found with splitting them up a little more." i knwo enough about grounds to know that theyre critical in a circuit and you need a good, solid connection. my bad for not knowing the 100% details of every load in the car to know if its resistance dependant. i assumed not but it cant hurt to ask.

thank you omikron for your answer. maybe "off the shelf" was a bad way of putting it. i know what relays i need (and how relays work), just wondering if there were any tips and tricks for getting a number of them to fit together. ive never attempted something like this but feel confident that i could do it. at any rate i dont frequent electrical stores to see what i like.

something like this:

looks really good, and i wouldnt mind knowing some of the details, but i will be pm'ing the one who did it
Old 04-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #384
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Ok, maybe I was a little too hasty. Some of your questions came across as very basic, but I guess I have been doing this stuff forever and forget that it's not always common knowledge to everyone. So I sincerely apologize for that and will try to help out.

Resistance is really only important in your ground wires. Typically you want them as short as possible. This will yield the least resistance to ground which is always a good thing. I have extended wires over 80 feet when doing backup cameras on 18 wheelers on the trailer for example. Or when I'm doing 50 ft. speed boats and need to run wires(speaker, power, audio signal etc.) from one side down the boat, across and back up the other side. As long as the wire can handle the current flow needed for it's given gauge and length then you are good to go.

As for some basic fuse holders, you can check this place:

Fuse Blocks and Fuse Panels

You can also find OEM quality SAE certified wiring here along with other goodies:

Waytek Inc, Home page to buy fuses, circuit breakers, cable ties, wire and other electrical supplies By Waytek Inc.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 04-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #385
JaredP
Zilvia Junkie

thank you very much broadfield. i understand how often noobs can come into a thread and just ask things over and over and it gets a little tiresome after a while. i will definitely look into those links
Old 04-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #386
Om1kron
Post Whore!

as for the relays I had a site not long ago I originally was going to purchase mine from, they come with the relay in different sizes depending on what you need and if you want have the plugs you can wire up. painless relay kits I believe can be grouped together.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:46 PM   #387
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
as for the relays I had a site not long ago I originally was going to purchase mine from, they come with the relay in different sizes depending on what you need and if you want have the plugs you can wire up. painless relay kits I believe can be grouped together.
That second link I posted, Waytek, has a gnarly load of different relays and solenoids.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 04-07-2011, 08:01 AM   #388
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Broadfield makes very good points here. I have an account at Waytek and will be gather up connectors and such to rewire the entire chassis on my S13.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #389
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
figured id ask the pro's a quick question:

preparing for potential flaming,...lol

I eliminated all fusebox's in my s13, and running basic essentials with my Arc Panel. Just trying to mock up finally giving everything power.

Was going to run from the battery to a 120amp circuit breaker, from there to a 3 split distribution block. 1 for ALT, 1 for Starter, 1 to Arc fuse panel, with Kill switch inbetween.

This is simplified, there are going to be a couple other randoms going to constant power, but these are the big things im worried about.

see ok?,...or completely not?

I read somewhere in here or maybe somewhere else (could have been jordan) saying he runs a 100amp between alt and starter, and 200-300amp coming straight off the battery.

thanks for the input/help!
Old 04-10-2011, 10:49 PM   #390
whatbrokethistime
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
whatbrokethistime is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
RB25 neo S14 wire work

Engine harness (rb25 neo to S14)

Dash harness

Chassis harness - relocated fuse box

[img\http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj56/fastboy501/fuel%20pump%20wiring/IMG_51902.jpg[/img]

whatbrokethistime is offline   Reply With Quote