Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:34 PM   #3661
2stepGoesPowPow
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
2stepGoesPowPow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkid101 View Post
dakota box with stock cluster
what harness? apparently with wiring specialties [harness i have] they already have the wires ready and labeled to be hooked up. was wondering if anyones done it. you got the martin crawler speed sensor adapter too?
Old 03-13-2014, 10:40 PM   #3662
dpkid101
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
dpkid101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stepGoesPowPow View Post
what harness? apparently with wiring specialties [harness i have] they already have the wires ready and labeled to be hooked up. was wondering if anyones done it. you got the martin crawler speed sensor adapter too?
I did the harness myself so I cant comment on that issue but I would have to check to see which pin I used, and no I don't have my speedo hooked up

Edit: Just looked back at my notes and tach signal is pin F12 off of the body loom plug. You connect this to the Dakota box, from there to your tach.
dpkid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:50 AM   #3663
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaNMaN View Post
well then "they" are idiots. that's the exact same setup that I've been using for 3+ years. the only place my fuel setup has clamps is at the fuel cap. you can make 1500-1600whp using a single -8an feed and single -6an return on e98. my engine tuner's girlfriend's Supra is using that exact setup for around 1500-1600whp but respectfully I was asked to not go into any more detail than that.
so you have been using twist-lok hoses and fittings for fuel with no issues? that's what i like to hear. i was unsure of whether or not they would hold up, but from what i've been reading once you have the hose on the fitting it really doesnt like to come back off lol.
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:58 AM   #3664
RaNMaN
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
RaNMaN is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Double View Post
so you have been using twist-lok hoses and fittings for fuel with no issues? that's what i like to hear. i was unsure of whether or not they would hold up, but from what i've been reading once you have the hose on the fitting it really doesnt like to come back off lol.
No sorry for the confusion. I use clamps on my SS lines at the fuel cap on the barbs. The rest of my fuel line setup uses black anodized AN fittings. I have friends that use push lock hoses and fittings and they swear by it. It is much easier and faster to use push lock. Both ways work well and are proven but I think that some racing sanctions specify the use of AN fittings.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
RaNMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #3665
CooleyXXXIII
Leaky Injector

CooleyXXXIII is an unknown quantity at this point
Anybody have a vvti 1j ecu laying around for sale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2014, 12:41 PM   #3666
Sky80
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (17)
Sky80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Freed Mounts for sale - S14! Bump my thread if you take a look!

Thanks!

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=558333
Old 03-14-2014, 12:55 PM   #3667
Sky80
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Yes this is correct, you do not want to use any kind of clamps with the twist lok hoses. I ran them in my previous project which was a '06 STI. -8 Feed with -6 Return, everything was twistlok, and as you said not only are they hard to take off once they are on(I just cut mine if I needed adjustments) they are also a B**ch to put on!

Link to project -

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2285887
Old 03-14-2014, 01:33 PM   #3668
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
Hey guys how far should my wideband be from the back of the turbo? Gonna be running an innovate wideband as my O2 - no narrowband (AEM v2)
Old 03-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #3669
erics240sx
Leaky Injector

erics240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG MiKE86 View Post
Hey guys how far should my wideband be from the back of the turbo? Gonna be running an innovate wideband as my O2 - no narrowband (AEM v2)

About 6inches. Usually at the 90 degree bend. 👍👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
erics240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:00 PM   #3670
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for all of the information on the fuel hoses guys. Can i not clamp the open ends directly over the smooth barbs on the S14 OEM fuel pump assembly? Like will i have to terminate the twist-lok line with an AN fitting and then use an AN-to-barb adapter and then connect the two barbs using regular fuel hose?
Old 03-14-2014, 10:05 PM   #3671
dpkid101
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Thanks for all of the information on the fuel hoses guys. Can i not clamp the open ends directly over the smooth barbs on the S14 OEM fuel pump assembly? Like will i have to terminate the twist-lok line with an AN fitting and then use an AN-to-barb adapter and then connect the two barbs using regular fuel hose?
IMO I think you could use clamps at the tank and be safe since those barbs are not like push lock hose barbs. Really shouldnt be a problem. But this is just my
Old 03-14-2014, 10:11 PM   #3672
RaNMaN
Zilvia Member

RaNMaN is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
yes, clamp the open end over the smooth barbs, just make sure that you clamp it good and tight.
RaNMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:30 PM   #3673
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Cool i figured that was the case. I could see the hose getting cut by the sharp ass barbs if you used clamps on the fittings.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #3674
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
I think I need a fuel cut defender...

Running stock twins with an ebay y-pipe/downpipe, and straight blast pipes (all 3 inch no mufflers etc.)... FMIC, standard stuff, JDM Supra TT ECU. If I hit right around 6-6200rpm my car will cut really bad for a brief second, I let off the gas a little bit, and get back on it and its fine until I hit 6-6200 again...... Is this boost cut? I believe im boosting around 18psi but not 100% sure.

It also idles rich, like 12.1-12.3 on my wideband, and varies at throttle anywhere from 12.4-13.1 or so.... stock FPR and walbro 255

Last edited by xoxide; 03-16-2014 at 06:37 PM..
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #3675
supercompact
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
supercompact is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxide View Post
I think I need a fuel cut defender...

Running stock twins with an ebay y-pipe/downpipe, and straight blast pipes (all 3 inch no mufflers etc.)... FMIC, standard stuff, JDM Supra TT ECU. If I hit right around 6-6200rpm my car will cut really bad for a brief second, I let off the gas a little bit, and get back on it and its fine until I hit 6-6200 again...... Is this boost cut? I believe im boosting around 18psi but not 100% sure.

It also idles rich, like 12.1-12.3 on my wideband, and varies at throttle anywhere from 12.4-13.1 or so.... stock FPR and walbro 255

Idling that rich at idle probably means you have a vacuum leak somewhere post throttle body. Could also be the reason for the hiccup.
supercompact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:01 PM   #3676
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Correct me if im wrong but doesnt the factory ECU cut fuel after 14lbs of boost? I could have sworn that i read somewhere that if you are using the stock ECU it's always best to get a fuel cut defender.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:03 PM   #3677
supercompact
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
supercompact is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dook-E View Post
Correct me if im wrong but doesnt the factory ECU cut fuel after 14lbs of boost? I could have sworn that i read somewhere that if you are using the stock ECU it's always best to get a fuel cut defender.

Yes, 14.7. At least that's how it was on my supra.
supercompact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:06 PM   #3678
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Would make sense since 14.7lbs is 1bar. i would suggest getting an FCD, but i dont think that is going to fix your idling issue.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:15 AM   #3679
xoxide
Post Whore!

Im not terribly concerned about the rich condition... Id rather it run rich than lean lol.... Main concern is the cutting.... Going to perform a boost/vac leak test today some time... I thought the 2j cut was 17psi? Could be wrong though.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #3680
dpkid101
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxide View Post
Im not terribly concerned about the rich condition... Id rather it run rich than lean lol.... Main concern is the cutting.... Going to perform a boost/vac leak test today some time... I thought the 2j cut was 17psi? Could be wrong though.
17psi? That changes things up a bit, I also thought it was around 14.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #3681
xoxide
Post Whore!

Also, noticed quiet a bit of oil blasted up on my firewall.. I felt around and it seems like most of it is coming from the bottom of the stock TT hotpipe... Took an IC pipe off and there is oil blown on the inside of the piping (not a TON just enough to make everything slightly covered).... What would this indicate, blown turbos?
Old 03-17-2014, 08:22 PM   #3682
AS240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (18)
AS240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLspeed View Post
Anyone using Freed Engineering mounts (s13)? I was told the head has about half an inch of clearance between the head and firewall.
I'm using Freed mounts. I have 1" of clearance from the head to firewall per digital micrometer.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #3683
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by AS240 View Post
I'm using Freed mounts. I have 1" of clearance from the head to firewall per digital micrometer.

I'll measure mine tomorrow - I think that's about where I'm at as well. Get nuts lab brackets and custom 2" aluminum mounts
Old 03-18-2014, 06:20 AM   #3684
ATLspeed
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
ATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Thanks, looking to switch my eBay brackets later down the road and it'll be between Get Nuts Lab and Ben Freed.

*Also, those with Tweakd and Wire Specialties harness did you have to run your fuel pump off a separate relay? Or does it just come on like the stock harness?

I have a Chasebays ( ._.), sent it out to get "fixed" and of course it still doesn't work. Not sure if it's because I swapped everything into my s13 vert (I did the whole 5sp swap before hand) or just the harness itself.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:18 AM   #3685
Mr. Phonso
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Mr. Phonso is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
if you have stock ecu i dont think it can control the nissan 12v relay
Mr. Phonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #3686
ATLspeed
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
ATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Phonso View Post
if you have stock ecu i dont think it can control the nissan 12v relay
My thoughts exactly. They (CBs) is for certain that it will with one of the unused slots/pins on the ecu. I've studied the ecu pinouts so many times that I could make my own harness but I can't due to work schedule.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:31 PM   #3687
Sky80
Zilvia Junkie

I have a Tweaked harness and it came with a built in relay for the fuel pump. Turns on just like it always has!
Old 03-18-2014, 12:38 PM   #3688
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky80 View Post
I have a Tweaked harness and it came with a built in relay for the fuel pump. Turns on just like it always has!

I believe my wiring specialities also has this same deal - there are 1-2 relays right next to the ECU probably for this as well. Car starts up no issue with stock ECU / AFC NEO
Old 03-19-2014, 08:50 AM   #3689
xoxide
Post Whore!

Something else id like to get worked out before the next event....

I remember reading JZ's run hot, but sitting on the grid my water temp is around 190ish on a hotter day, 180 on a cooler day.... After I go for a run and come back to the grid my water temp ranges from 220-250 and then lowers back down to 180-190.... It doesn't seem like it should be getting that high?

I have a Koyo 2 rod radiator, dual 12 inch flex-a-lite pusher (normal configuration) fans, stock t-stat, distilled water, and problend motorsports 40 below water additive. 1.1 bar radiator cap.

Any ideas on what I can do to get it to run cooler? There are no air bubbles in the system, ive bled it multiple times, and top off the water after every few runs if it needs.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #3690
Mr. Phonso
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Mr. Phonso is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
lower temp t stat will help you greatly. My cruising temps stayed at 180F but when I romp on it I noticed with the lower temp t stat my temps dropped about 20F cooler than with the stock stat

I'm using a forged racing tstat. I would have gone TRD if it wasn't insanely priced at $120
Mr. Phonso is offline   Reply With Quote