Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:58 AM   #331
vibe240

Trader Rating: (0)
vibe240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Don't think only about the money that is going into the swap, the more money you put on your engine, the less you have for drifting.

I rather have my KA and drift 2 times per week than drift once a month because I spend all my moneys on my engine. Don't forget the more power you have, you need more tires (and bigger tires too), more fuel, it's break more....
Think about it.
vibe240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2010, 11:34 AM   #332
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
iamtheyi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
^ unless you're ballin out of control like some people.

iamtheyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #333
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrChow
can we stop going off topic...

take this crap to PM or to another thread...
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:07 PM   #334
Hellspeaker

Hellspeaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Just to try and clear somethings up for me though what motor should i be looking for. Theres an ls1 in the gtos right?
Hellspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #335
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellspeaker View Post
Just to try and clear somethings up for me though what motor should i be looking for. Theres an ls1 in the gtos right?
go to the V8 240sx faq thread.
do some reading there, its has all the info you need.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:49 PM   #336
Hellspeaker

Hellspeaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Sweet ill get right into that. Oh and to the hater up telling us this is off topic. I believe that falls into the "car setup" category.
Hellspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #337
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by word sux View Post
make sure you know what you are getting yourself into with an ls swap its gonna be 10-15k to do it right. and yea you are so right about hitting the drift button stepping into a good car

I am about to order PBM coilovers and full suspension arms + subframe inserts for my car

more like 7-8k....10k if your rebuilding/adding shit. If you are paying 15k, you should register on ls1tech.com

motors are at most 3k, paying for fab shouldn't be more than 2k, leaving you with another 2k in case shit break/ comes up....but this isn't the ls1 thread.

back on topic.... Rob...i want my car to drift for me...all i have to do is put a little input/ correction. haha
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #338
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
^^
Everyone has there own type of driving style.
FC like to let his car drift.
I like to be ahead of my car drifting.

Idk if that made any sense... =|
Old 08-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #339
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

^ didn't make any sense to me :P

Old 08-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #340
dat411kid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
dat411kid is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Wet conditions..
Took me awhile but i finally got it...

Coming out of a drift and connecting into a fairly sharp 180 deg left...
I found great success with a quick counter into the turn, with no gas whatsoever until mid apex then powering out with a little feather...Felt great to finally get that turn...
Old 08-14-2010, 03:37 AM   #341
CrazyRob
Zilvia Member

CrazyRob is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to CrazyRob
Quote:
Originally Posted by fckillerbee View Post
more like 7-8k....10k if your rebuilding/adding shit. If you are paying 15k, you should register on ls1tech.com

motors are at most 3k, paying for fab shouldn't be more than 2k, leaving you with another 2k in case shit break/ comes up....but this isn't the ls1 thread.

back on topic.... Rob...i want my car to drift for me...all i have to do is put a little input/ correction. haha
bro, no problem. i make magical shit happen.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:41 AM   #342
CrazyRob
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChow View Post
^^
Everyone has there own type of driving style.
FC like to let his car drift.
I like to be ahead of my car drifting.

Idk if that made any sense... =|
it doesnt make any sense. the video you posted shows that your car is poorly setup for drifting and you dont know how to drift with it setup that way. you do have skill but i dont know if you understand what FC is really talking about. when you were driving your car in the vid, the car was ahead of you and you were waiting for it to do what you wanted. FC wants his car do to exactly what he wants without him thinking of corrections or inputs to make the car react how he wants.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:12 AM   #343
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRob View Post
it doesnt make any sense. the video you posted shows that your car is poorly setup for drifting and you dont know how to drift with it setup that way. you do have skill but i dont know if you understand what FC is really talking about. when you were driving your car in the vid, the car was ahead of you and you were waiting for it to do what you wanted. FC wants his car do to exactly what he wants without him thinking of corrections or inputs to make the car react how he wants.
Oh wow.. I don't know if any of you have every drifted on a tight auto-x course before but if u have plz say so before you make comment on my drifting. My car is setup is about 50% setup atm, I messed up my balance there not much grip up front atm.
Yes I do know what FC is doing. He's letting his car come smoothly vs what I did on the tight course which is letting the swing out and making the car where I want it to go.
Not to talking like I know everything. I have good friend that instructs with Conrad Grunewald at Skip Barber teaching me a lot of this is how someone like Conrad would kinda of do on a tight course. There isn't a lot of room to get to a speed so I have to

Again my video is aim at a tight course so I have to input a lot of steering correction. Also there isn't a lot of room to get to a speed so I have to make do with what I have and since I can't get much speed I'm generally in about 4k - 5k rpm so I'm not getting much wheel spin so I'm having to keep my speed has much has I can do keep the car sideways.
VS
A big more open course which wouldn't need it and that fact he going into the drift at top of 2nd or in 3rd at 65ish so he have plenty of wheel spin and speed. I probably do the same amount input has FC but in a different style if I was on the same track.

I am sorry if my English isn't correct I don't have really good english and didn't reread any of that.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:16 AM   #344
CrazyRob
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Oh wow.. I don't know if any of you have every drifted on a tight auto-x course before but if u have plz say so before you make comment on my drifting. My car is setup is about 50% setup atm, I messed up my balance there not much grip up front atm.
Yes I do know what FC is doing. He's letting his car come smoothly vs what I did on the tight course which is letting the swing out and making the car where I want it to go.
Not to talking like I know everything. I have good friend that instructs with Conrad Grunewald at Skip Barber teaching me a lot of this is how someone like Conrad would kinda of do on a tight course. There isn't a lot of room to get to a speed so I have to

Again my video is aim at a tight course so I have to input a lot of steering correction. Also there isn't a lot of room to get to a speed so I have to make do with what I have and since I can't get much speed I'm generally in about 4k - 5k rpm so I'm not getting much wheel spin so I'm having to keep my speed has much has I can do keep the car sideways.
VS
A big more open course which wouldn't need it and that fact he going into the drift at top of 2nd or in 3rd at 65ish so he have plenty of wheel spin and speed. I probably do the same amount input has FC but in a different style if I was on the same track.

I am sorry if my English isn't correct I don't have really good english and didn't reread any of that.
since you have so much grip, i would recommend clutching in and revving on transitions to make the rear break when you would like to and have the engine speed to break them hard. i have drifted very tight courses before and i understand that to even get through the course is difficult. but it seems like your car is ahead of you because of how your rear grip reacts to your driving style. it seems like you are putting too much into the steering for you to be comfortable instead of steering with the throttle.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:33 AM   #345
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

hey fckillerbee, want to share with us your car setup/stuff on the car? I have a couple friends with stock KA's, me included, and you make drifting with a KA ridiculously easy lol. Maybe it's just cause I'm super n00b

Old 08-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #346
CrazyRob
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheyi View Post
hey fckillerbee, want to share with us your car setup/stuff on the car? I have a couple friends with stock KA's, me included, and you make drifting with a KA ridiculously easy lol. Maybe it's just cause I'm super n00b
hit me up, ill help you out lol search me on fb= robert airth
Old 08-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #347
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheyi View Post
I've tested many different outcomes of setup. All of which require practice.

My favorite setup
front 225/40r18 dunlop star specs @ 32 psi with about -5.5 degrees of camber
Cheap aftermarket front sway bar (bought from sonic motor)

rear is 225/40r18 Triangles @ 55psi with about -1 degrees of camber(shitty tires..but last long, easy to break loose)
no rear sway bar (compensates for shitty tires/gives grip)

zero toe all around
caster is stock...whatever that is (i've never understood it, so i've never played with it)
stance coils...i'm sure most coilovers will work

6 puc unsprung clutch and pressure plate with 11.5 lbs flywheel. (easy to bring the revs up on clutch kicking)

Welded diff (most lsd's i've driven on require more power than what the stock ka puts out, so i would have locking problems)....plus, it's predictable...always the same.

All of this is setup cold, as I prefer to be consistent on my first laps...then after tires warm up for a couple minutes....typically in a competition, you don't get warm up laps to prepare your car for "your ideal temperature", so I prepare my car cold....

that's as much as I can think of off the top of my head....

If you run a non-r compound tire, you will get less input to your steering (as I have said I like the car to drive for itself, and just give it little input)

So when I switched to a federal in the front, the car slid out farther, and created a lot more smoke...made it harder to drive, and point the car, but definitely made some cool photos.

i've never had smoke....so I thought it was rad when I parked the car....to see the tires sizzle....and you could see the smoke just pouring from the tire....even parked. And this was a windy day

and I highley recommend....16's for beginners....once you get weight shifting down...then you can move up to bigger sizes....and then drive even harder to keep them spinning.

for the record..i don't want to be a stock ka...lol...i want powah!

Castro....the man.....the myth...the legend....post your setup
if these guys saw you drive!!!
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:31 PM   #348
CrazyRob
Zilvia Member

legit post hammy. i dont exactly approve of this thread but i cant win em all. caster=the amount of leverage the vehicles momentum transmits to the steering system to make the car countersteer itself(for drifting). more positive caster=more self countersteering. the issue with making the caster positive is that the more positive it goes, the more the driving wheel "rolls-over"(aka-positive front camber" as steering angle increases. one of the basic ways of compensating for positive caster is to increase negative camber. the reason why FC runs soo much negative camber in the front is to compensate for the +6.5* caster that s14's run "stock". compensation meaning to balance the vehicles drift angle with the front end's maximum traction. there is a point at which the car is within a range of being perfectly setup for a drivers preference then it goes too much neg camber(understeer at low drift angle) and too little negative camber(understeer at high drift angle). just fyi.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:04 AM   #349
jspec240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (19)
jspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
If you dont approve of this thread then why are you still on it? if you dont have anything good to say stop commenting.

661 sliders Gymkhana @ buttonwillow
http://zilvia.net/f/south-western-st...-sessions.html

>> Bakersfield Hook up thread <<
jspec240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:19 AM   #350
DJDANGER24
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
DJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond reputeDJDANGER24 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJDANGER24 Send a message via MSN to DJDANGER24 Send a message via Yahoo to DJDANGER24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspec240 View Post
If you dont approve of this thread then why are you still on it? if you dont have anything good to say stop commenting.
+1 for you bud. i dont anything better to add to that so, yea.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:48 PM   #351
jspec240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (19)
jspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
thanks^^^ I mean really why would you even look at a thread you didnt like??? FCKillerb.... why dont you throw a t25 or 28 on your KA???

661 sliders Gymkhana @ buttonwillow
http://zilvia.net/f/south-western-st...-sessions.html

>> Bakersfield Hook up thread <<
jspec240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #352
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
since you have so much grip, i would recommend clutching in and revving on transitions to make the rear break when you would like to and have the engine speed to break them hard. i have drifted very tight courses before and i understand that to even get through the course is difficult. but it seems like your car is ahead of you because of how your rear grip reacts to your driving style. it seems like you are putting too much into the steering for you to be comfortable instead of steering with the throttle.
Um... I have no problem breaking the rear loose at all... It's keeping a tight angle drift in small track without have a lot of room to get good amount of speed. I will say that I did forget to raise the psi in my rears tires so they were getting some grip again in mid drift.
I'm super aggressive on my transitions so I can keep my speed up so I could keep connect everything. TBH I don't have time to do that. If I were to do something like that I'd lose speed and then I would having problems with the drifts.

And really? Didn't already say that I wasn't taught by a pro driver??? You don't have to try to help me. I'm just here to show how I do my entrances...
Old 08-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #353
flyspyder55

flyspyder55 is an unknown quantity at this point
poooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tp drama
flyspyder55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:11 PM   #354
Csomme
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
Csomme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
lol @ kid you thinks he's cool cause he "drifts" at autoX events.

Some people are giving good solid tips, others are cluttering the thread with HOLIER THAN THOU talk.

Shut the fuck up and get back on topic. I like reading.
Csomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #355
CrazyRob
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Um... I have no problem breaking the rear loose at all... It's keeping a tight angle drift in small track without have a lot of room to get good amount of speed. I will say that I did forget to raise the psi in my rears tires so they were getting some grip again in mid drift.
I'm super aggressive on my transitions so I can keep my speed up so I could keep connect everything. TBH I don't have time to do that. If I were to do something like that I'd lose speed and then I would having problems with the drifts.

And really? Didn't already say that I wasn't taught by a pro driver??? You don't have to try to help me. I'm just here to show how I do my entrances...
youre not aggressive on your transitions. you generally take a good line, but youre not aggressive. im trying to help you bro, constructive criticism. whats the point of posting up your technique if youre not down to have it critiqued...? to each their own. you could be faster and more aggressive.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #356
CrazyRob
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspec240 View Post
thanks^^^ I mean really why would you even look at a thread you didnt like??? FCKillerb.... why dont you throw a t25 or 28 on your KA???
dont take it personal, but fuck off cone killer. lol. seriously tho, its not that i dont like this thread, its that it really wont do much for anyone. its just kinda useless. im trying to add some function to this thread by critiquing and providing answers to questions. sorry if you dont like me saying people can do better. and btw jspec240, get a more defined course to practice on.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #357
vibe240

vibe240 is an unknown quantity at this point
KA

I have problem getting alot of angle on entry.

any tips?

I mainly use a feint to initiate.
vibe240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #358
CrazyRob
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibe240 View Post
I have problem getting alot of angle on entry.

any tips?

I mainly use a feint to initiate.
what are your alignment settings?
Old 08-15-2010, 07:41 PM   #359
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
dont im trying to add some function to this thread by critiquing and providing answers to questions. :
umm..so then you are following exactley what the thread is for , therefore you do like the thread!!??
make up your mind.
I agree if someone is critiquing your style lets not get butthurt, but Crazyrob you can also be less agressive when posting, you are basically chalenging and picking fights as you post.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:11 PM   #360
CrazyRob
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeS14 View Post
umm..so then you are following exactley what the thread is for , therefore you do like the thread!!??
make up your mind.
I agree if someone is critiquing your style lets not get butthurt, but Crazyrob you can also be less agressive when posting, you are basically chalenging and picking fights as you post.
i expressed my opinion and people got aggressive, which inspired my aggressiveness. i guess i like this thread as long as people post relevant stuff that hasnt already been posted and people dont talk out of their asses.