Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-20-2007, 03:55 PM   #331
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
ctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ctnewman
oh. i guess i forgot to update you guys.

I traded in the elise on an 04 RANGE ROVER. I also sold my SR20 240sx.

(that is not my black M3 next to the STi.)

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2007, 03:58 PM   #332
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
^^^ Not bad, a Range huh?

*cough* balllinnnnnnnn */cough*

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:40 PM   #333
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

ctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of light
Spent most of my day at work today blasting suspension components. I blasted:

Rear control arms
Front Control Arms
Top Hats
Front shock tubes/knuckles
F&R Hubs
F&R subframes
Rear subframe mounting plate

I powdercoated the subframes orange (as planned) and they came out great.

Everything else is going to be powdercoated black. The differential is going to be bright green and the swaybars are powder blue. I like that the exterior of the car is fairly subtle, while the underbody is bright.

Also, before i completely blasted the rear control arms i made new spring perches and welded a backing plate on to the swaybar mount. The stock perches were fairly corroded, and while in good condition, the rear swaybar mounts are weak by design.

Some shitty cell pics:

Old 12-21-2007, 08:51 PM   #334
projekt_s13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
projekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to projekt_s13
YES!! finally updates..

Keep them coming dude, ive been watching your thread for a long ass time.

projekt_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:11 AM   #335
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

started grinding off the undercoating.

this is going to suck.

BADLY.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:59 AM   #336
RUTH'LESSDET
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
RUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to RUTH'LESSDET
"oh you a baller huh"???
Old 12-23-2007, 10:17 AM   #337
Edgar
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Edgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Edgar
I just read everything, this build is so amazing.

How far are you from Williamsville? I think i'm going to be visiting there for a bit.
Amazing!
Old 12-24-2007, 06:44 AM   #338
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
I just read everything, this build is so amazing.

How far are you from Williamsville? I think i'm going to be visiting there for a bit.
Amazing!
about 10 minutes.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:54 AM   #339
Inlandsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (25)
Inlandsilvia has a reputation beyond reputeInlandsilvia has a reputation beyond reputeInlandsilvia has a reputation beyond reputeInlandsilvia has a reputation beyond reputeInlandsilvia has a reputation beyond reputeInlandsilvia has a reputation beyond reputeInlandsilvia has a reputation beyond reputeInlandsilvia has a reputation beyond reputeInlandsilvia has a reputation beyond reputeInlandsilvia has a reputation beyond reputeInlandsilvia has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Inlandsilvia
wow, you got skills my man!!! Sick build, can't wait till it's done.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:32 AM   #340
brewster240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
brewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brewster240
you traded a lotus for a rover?
brewster240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:56 AM   #341
ilia
Zilvia Junkie

ilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to allilia is a name known to all
I would suggest welding a triangular tab perpendicularly to the swaybar mount tab. As you may already see, the stock E30 rear sway bar mounts are loaded in bending, which is not an ideal condition. Welding a second tab transfers the load to tension, which prevents the inevitable- those stock mounts break every time with a big rear sway.

Also, buy the sway mounts from ireland engineering. They go on the chassis side of things in the rear, and bolt through the trunk floor. The rear sway rips out of it's chassis mounts, too.
ilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:49 PM   #342
sillyvia13
BANNED

sillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfection
HOLY SHIT about an hour of reading, I couldn't go away!
1. you are the MAN. w/ different personal stlye, but I dig it, kinda rat rod look!
2. you are the man
3. your work is sick.
4. nice fucking work
5. how old are you? you spend money like it has no meaning!!! I WANT THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
stay up homie! keep the good work up! I know you will.
sillyvia13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:58 PM   #343
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster240 View Post
you traded a lotus for a rover?
yeah, i needed a winter car. Originally my STi was my winter whip, but after the 35R it's no longer really a "winter car". I weighed the pros and cons of the elise and sti, and the STi is far more fun to drive, so i kept that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilia View Post
I would suggest welding a triangular tab perpendicularly to the swaybar mount tab. As you may already see, the stock E30 rear sway bar mounts are loaded in bending, which is not an ideal condition. Welding a second tab transfers the load to tension, which prevents the inevitable- those stock mounts break every time with a big rear sway.

Also, buy the sway mounts from ireland engineering. They go on the chassis side of things in the rear, and bolt through the trunk floor. The rear sway rips out of it's chassis mounts, too.

I have the IE sways. The 10GA backing plate will sufficiently reinforce the tab. From an engineering standpoint, all you have said is correct, but it's unlikely that the joint will be loaded past any yield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyvia13 View Post
HOLY SHIT about an hour of reading, I couldn't go away!
1. you are the MAN. w/ different personal stlye, but I dig it, kinda rat rod look!
2. you are the man
3. your work is sick.
4. nice fucking work
5. how old are you? you spend money like it has no meaning!!! I WANT THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
stay up homie! keep the good work up! I know you will.
I'm 26. I'm a mechanical engineer.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:18 PM   #344
brewster240
Zilvia FREAK!

brewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond repute
hes right about the sway bars. extra is better.

e46's rip out rear floor pans
e36's break rear subframe mounts
e30's do their thing.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:20 PM   #345
sillyvia13
BANNED

sillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctnewman View Post
yeah, i needed a winter car. Originally my STi was my winter whip, but after the 35R it's no longer really a "winter car". I weighed the pros and cons of the elise and sti, and the STi is far more fun to drive, so i kept that.

I have the IE sways. The 10GA backing plate will sufficiently reinforce the tab. From an engineering standpoint, all you have said is correct, but it's unlikely that the joint will be loaded past any yield.

I'm 26. I'm a mechanical engineer.
I ask age, and say you spend monet alot! lol
you answer...26 and mechianical engineer, lol...that a GREAT paying job...
Old 12-24-2007, 09:38 PM   #346
thetopcow
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
thetopcow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
glad to see the thread active again, keep up the good work
thetopcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:09 PM   #347
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

OK. I have been a little bit busy. With the car and GF.

But i have the car ready to go back to the blasters. I have been removing the undercoating for the past few weeks now, and i am going to take it back to the blasters to get all the nooks and crannies. From there, i will paint the undercarriage/engine bay and reinstall the suspension... Then i think i will fit the fenderflares and paint the body...

What's slicker? Body color engine bay or black engine bay? At this point i think i am leaning toward black for ease of touchup/cleanup...
Old 01-09-2008, 09:29 PM   #348
TheArkitekt
Zilvia Member

TheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the rough
im a fan of the flat black engine bay. makes the engine pop more, not that your build needs any help with that...lol
TheArkitekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:30 PM   #349
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
I vote black engine bay
Old 01-09-2008, 09:44 PM   #350
Neejay
Post Whore!

Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
black engine bay
Neejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:31 PM   #351
Edgar
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Edgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Edgar
Body Color Engine Bay

might as well
Old 01-14-2008, 04:10 AM   #352
SaintlyCharBoy
Premium Member

SaintlyCharBoy is making a name for him/her selfSaintlyCharBoy is making a name for him/her selfSaintlyCharBoy is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via ICQ to SaintlyCharBoy Send a message via AIM to SaintlyCharBoy Send a message via Yahoo to SaintlyCharBoy
well, with a black engine bay, you hide any possible issues
but on the other hand
you can't see any possible issues...

body color
Old 01-14-2008, 10:02 AM   #353
wannabe_drifter
Zilvia Member

wannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to behold
Body color definitely, otherwise it looks like its been half-assed ...
Old 01-14-2008, 11:25 AM   #354
brewster240
Zilvia FREAK!

silver or machine gray engine bay.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:38 PM   #355
sillyvia13
BANNED

TRUE BALLERs ROLL WITH WHITE...
just be real careful with assmebly/...

you don't dare...lol...you'll be cleaning everytime you open bonnet...

Last edited by sillyvia13; 01-14-2008 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: forgot stuff
Old 01-14-2008, 02:53 PM   #356
shift_boost

shift_boost is an unknown quantity at this point
body colored engine bay
shift_boost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:57 PM   #357
Kinzer SR13gtR

Kinzer SR13gtR will become famous soon enoughKinzer SR13gtR will become famous soon enoughKinzer SR13gtR will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Kinzer SR13gtR
If you paint it anything other than BODYCOLOR,
it may look like a half assed after accident repaint!
Then again, only an idiot would think that, looking at your finished machine.
If I were to paint it differently, I would do it in Gray! Black creates to much
shadow, and its harder to "see" when you are working on it.
Parts, and bolts that may "slip out of your hands" will stand out against the gray paint. Making it easier to find them afterwards.
Have you thought about wrapping it?
Sound deadening, or heat wrap. Something With a repeating logo pattern.
Or something trick... Carbon fiber. Kevlar... Carbon/Kevlar dry weave!
Are you hiding all your harnesses, in the frame-rails?
Wires and Tubes, look like crap contrasted against a lighter colored background! Just some ideas that I have had for myself!
Kinzer SR13gtR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:43 PM   #358
Rusker
Zilvia Junkie

Rusker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe_drifter View Post
Body color definitely, otherwise it looks like its been half-assed ...

Agreed. Nothing on this car should be half assed
Old 01-14-2008, 05:31 PM   #359
acheron
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
acheron will become famous soon enoughacheron will become famous soon enoughacheron will become famous soon enoughacheron will become famous soon enoughacheron will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
awesome build man, thumbs up... keep up the work and fill in more pics. good luck !!
acheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:56 PM   #360
300hp owen
Zilvia Junkie

300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future
nice work newman, cant wait to meet up this year and have some chit chat.

too bad the elise is gone but youre riding in style now huh? comfyyyyyy.

sti is looking good too.

sheeeeeesh.