Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-23-2010, 11:26 PM   #3481
iStayBroke
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
iStayBroke is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
So I've come across a complete SR20det engine/tranny set for sale.
It's about a 6-hour drive from where I am. Downside is bad piston rings.
It supposedly still starts and drives.
What damage if any would I risk swapping it and then driving it back home (6 hours still)?
And since I'm already asking a question how would I go about transporting it if I decide to get it but don't do the swap right away?
iStayBroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2010, 12:11 AM   #3482
kalypso123
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡

Trader Rating: (2)
kalypso123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
you can take the motor off the tranny in about 5 minutes, and then throw the engine in the trunk, wrap the trans and put it in the passenger seat
kalypso123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:12 AM   #3483
kalypso123
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡

kalypso123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooopreme View Post
Coilover Noob Question (I never adjusted damping settings on Megans):

But uh, on my Fortune Autos, I tried adjusting the dampening using the knobs. And I noticed that y'all use the word "clicks" when you guys are talking about how much you turned the knob.

But when I tried adjusting it, I did not hear any clicks. Are my coils different? Am I supposed to just adjust according to how many spins I put in?
adjust according to how many degrees you turn. as long as its the same for both your good

check your manual or contact fortune auto.
kalypso123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:48 AM   #3484
iStayBroke
Zilvia Addict

iStayBroke is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalypso123 View Post
you can take the motor off the tranny in about 5 minutes, and then throw the engine in the trunk, wrap the trans and put it in the passenger seat
Okay, thanks.
iStayBroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:29 AM   #3485
axiomatik
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
axiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fckillerbee View Post
so problem still is there. I swapped out a fuel rail, injectors, and fuel pressure regulator...still having sputtering problems under accel between 1-3k.

question 1. what would foul spark plugs do in a working motor?
question 2. what happens when the car has too much backpressure?

and please...no guessing. if you have experienced it, or was involved with the experience...please help. I've changed things that we have already guessed about.
Fouled spark plugs could give you poor or no spark. What do your spark plugs look like?

Reading Spark Plugs: NGK Spark Plugs USA
Old 11-24-2010, 09:51 AM   #3486
Mesarina
Zilvia Member

Mesarina is an unknown quantity at this point
Just bought this master cylinder on ebay as a " Nissan 300ZX brake master cylinder BM50
ORIGINAL JDM RHD!!!!!! "

Is there any diference between this master cylinder and the one on my 94 180sx? looks like its the same, the plug on the reservior is the same, but the reservoir is a lhd one, also I don`t need the adapter fitting I bought separate for the install... It doesn`t have the diameter of the piston engraved like the lhd z32...

Mesarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:05 AM   #3487
Mesarina
Zilvia Member

Mesarina is an unknown quantity at this point
Never mind, I got a Tokico BM50 and I have a Nabco BM44.. acording to this chart, I have a z32 one...

BM33 = 13/16
BM38 = 7/8
BM44 = 15/16
BM50 = 1"
BM57 = 1 1/16
Mesarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #3488
oilsquirt
BANNED

oilsquirt is an unknown quantity at this point
Going to try this again...
I bought a new head gasket and put it on the head, assembled everything the put on front cover and it messed up a small part of it so i cut it off...

I used silicone gasket maker used for oil, and can withstand 500 degrees of temp.
Car runs fine and does not leak oil.
What do you guys think about this? Is it a big deal? Can i keep driving it like this?
oilsquirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:19 AM   #3489
ViciousCesar!
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (8)
ViciousCesar! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
car drives though...does it drive different than normal. think you an i may be having a similar problem from what it sounds like.
yeah, it drives normal for the most part. just high idle once it gets going and smoke out the back. somebody said it might be my FPR...

http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/354283...-randomly.html
ViciousCesar! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #3490
Odysseus
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
Odysseus is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by c72c View Post
some cages have the harness bar already on, or you can buy a weld in bar and put it there. the one you see behind the cage is a bolt in harness bar, it bolts to the upper and lower seat belt mounting points.
No, I meant the recessed bar is still on the main hoop. Im not talking about an actual harness bar to the chassis. Everything Im talking about is on the main hoop. Some harness bars go straight across the main hoop and some bend back on from the main hoop. Why?
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #3491
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by axiomatik View Post
Fouled spark plugs could give you poor or no spark. What do your spark plugs look like?

Reading Spark Plugs: NGK Spark Plugs USA
well i put in new plugs at the beginning of the year...so i haven't actually checked that yet. I was assuming they would be fine.....but now i'm having to go through a checklist to try and find this problem whether i replaced parts or not...so gay.
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #3492
whitesemen
Banned from the Marketplace

whitesemen is an unknown quantity at this point
Wasuup fellas quick question am going NA on my KA(dohc) i have fujita intake and dc headers now, i wanna go with a straight pipe setup but what sizing is better hp gain wise 2.5 or 3" i will have blast pipes and a 3" test pipe. thanks!
whitesemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #3493
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesemen View Post
Wasuup fellas quick question am going NA on my KA(dohc) i have fujita intake and dc headers now, i wanna go with a straight pipe setup but what sizing is better hp gain wise 2.5 or 3" i will have blast pipes and a 3" test pipe. thanks!
your gain is going to be about 1-3 horsepower most. but bigger is always better for flow.

just remember....just cause you can exhale out of a 4 inch tube...doesn't mean you are breathing out of the same tube....if you do exhaust for gains...intake side's gotta match.

but 3 inch would be best. I ran a strait 4 inch on my stock ka....not much gain (3 ish?) ...def notice the waste in gas mileage though.
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:06 PM   #3494
xBtony
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (21)
xBtony is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Whats the best timming setting for a single cam ka, if im lookin for only performance?
xBtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:34 PM   #3495
JKL1031
Zilvia Junkie

JKL1031 is an unknown quantity at this point
anyone ever use the turtle wax headlight resotration kit?
JKL1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:39 PM   #3496
Wake
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (8)
Wake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wake Send a message via Yahoo to Wake
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesemen View Post
2.5 is plenty big for NA, back pressure can equal power

Bigger = more flow is only beneficial on turbos. Hence companies like Apex'i and HKS making 60mm Na exhaust and 90mm turbo exhaust.
S.P.P.S. Member #00
**CoUpe LOve** Member #00
Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #3497
rgts4 4dr widebody

rgts4 4dr widebody is an unknown quantity at this point
quick question; im into getting my car low and aggressive as physicaly poss,regardless ov my unsealed driveway,but the skyline is off the road while its getting bodywork done,1st question: wheres the best place to post thats not going to be out of place but still be veawed easly by you guys
also cheeki 2nd question, whats a good fittement/offset thread that i can follow and get you peoples opinon on my car on the other side of the world?
cheerz
had a silvia before,most of yours are better tho nice car culture you have
Old 11-25-2010, 01:54 AM   #3498
whitesemen
Banned from the Marketplace

whitesemen is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
your gain is going to be about 1-3 horsepower most. but bigger is always better for flow.

just remember....just cause you can exhale out of a 4 inch tube...doesn't mean you are breathing out of the same tube....if you do exhaust for gains...intake side's gotta match.

but 3 inch would be best. I ran a strait 4 inch on my stock ka....not much gain (3 ish?) ...def notice the waste in gas mileage though.
Alright am starting to understand. So I need to have the correct sizing on how much air am taking in and breathing out?
whitesemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #3499
JKL1031
Zilvia Junkie

NA 2.5"
Turbo 3'
Old 11-25-2010, 08:06 PM   #3500
Persona
Zilvia Addict

Persona is an unknown quantity at this point
So I lost that little bronze washer that helps seal the bleed valve for the coolant. Anyone know where to pick up a good replacement? I've tried some I had laying around but they dont seal.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:43 PM   #3501
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKL1031 View Post
NA 2.5"
Turbo 3'
Not on a 2.4L... 3" for both. The 2.5" are for SR20DE's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona View Post
So I lost that little bronze washer that helps seal the bleed valve for the coolant. Anyone know where to pick up a good replacement? I've tried some I had laying around but they dont seal.
They are soft copper washers that crush. I've had the same problem with copper washers that were to hard to conform. Just get some liquid thread sealant if you can't find any local and need to use the car.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:31 AM   #3502
IMSLIDIN

IMSLIDIN is an unknown quantity at this point
ok i figured i would post a question here well its a couple questions

1.there is a spring and a ball in the tranny under the shifter well its a used tranny and the ball is missing and i have a spring that i can cut a little to fit they look the same its just this one is a little longer

2. my friend was telling me that i need to ether reflash the maf to turbo my car or get one that reads more air (or something like that) im looking to make 500 (so if i fall short i still make my original goal of 400)

3. and my final question is there anywhere i can get the all the tranny sensors and there is what looks like a bleeder hose or something and if i leave off the 4th and 5th gear limiters will my sepometer still work? and what are the other sensors

that you all in advance feel free to pm me or reply on here
IMSLIDIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #3503
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Does anyone make an aluminum S14SR non-hicas(3-Rib) PS pulley? Every kit I have ordered for S14 has come with the 4-rib.

I even had a place send me a kit that said S13 on the box when they had separate listings for S13 and S14. Reply was, "Oh, S13/S14 are the same so now we only sell the S13 kit for both..." It's not the aesthetics, I don't care what color it is. It's just that the PS pulley was much heavier then any of the other pulleys. I only got the first kit for the Alt pulley to swap. Now this PS pulley is bugging me.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #3504
next_train

next_train is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil pick up to oil pan clearance

Money is tight at the moment and I have a dent in my oil pan. Would anyone happen to know the distance between the bottom of a ka24de oil pan and the oil pick up?
next_train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:27 PM   #3505
JKL1031
Zilvia Junkie

Which rad hose is the return or cool side?
Old 11-26-2010, 11:02 PM   #3506
N.z33
BANNED

N.z33 is an unknown quantity at this point
how come i cannot post in classifieds? do i need more posts or be a member longer? lmk thanks ! pm me the answer
N.z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:08 PM   #3507
1on1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
i ordered the "colder themostat" from frsport, and I am wondering if i am using that on a stock KA, will it mess up the engine?

I have read online for another car, that it can damage the engine. something about the engine temp would not be running at a specific temp that the ecu reads.

Running Too Cold Bad for Engine? [Archive] - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

if i can get a solid answer, I will contact frsport asap about my order and swap the thermostat to a regular one.

thanks in advance.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:58 PM   #3508
Zacho
Zilvia Member

Zacho is an unknown quantity at this point
^The issue is there on a stock ECU.

The stock ECU maps will be in cold enrichment(extra fuel being added) when the temp is below a certain amount. In my experience this is usually anything around 160 ish F and below on a nissan ECU. So these lower temp thermostats usually leave the engine running in cold enrichment parts of the map = no good.

They have a purpose but on a stock ECU it is a bad idea.
Zacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:14 AM   #3509
1on1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Thanks for the input, I will contact frsport and have them track my order, change the item, and refund the price difference.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:48 PM   #3510
JKL1031
Zilvia Junkie

can anyone tell me quickly which side of the thermostat has the temp sensing element. the side into the block, or facing the radiator?