Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #3361
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
EsChassisLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftmb View Post
Are there any dyno's/info on guys running the S3HL's? I was originally going to go with the standard S3 setup with stock valvetrain, but found out about these HL's today. It seems like with 11.5mm lift and 260 duration they should be fine still.

FWIW, I'll be running the gtx2867 .64 with a DocRace mani and Tial MVS.
Standard S3s are 11.2 lift. S3HLs should be in the 12 lift range. Not a dinky 11.5.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #3362
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsChassisLove View Post
Standard S3s are 11.2 lift. S3HLs should be in the 12 lift range. Not a dinky 11.5.
S3 = 11.2 / 0.442 lift

S3HL = 11.6 / 0.457 lift

Remember the S3 cams are all stock valvetrain to 8000 rpm safe.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #3363
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
EsChassisLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
The entire S series is safe for stock valve train.

12.5 would be fine for stock haha
Old 07-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #3364
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsChassisLove View Post
The entire S series is safe for stock valve train.

12.5 would be fine for stock haha
Then go get some C3's
Old 07-24-2013, 11:26 PM   #3365
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cody, you've convinced me that JWT is the way to go. Namely, the fact that it is more cost effective to use S3/S4 vs Procams / HKS Step 2 and springs

I don't think there is a single dyno result in here of someone using S4's on a DET. However the SCC article posted in the teen pages of this thread are pretty convincing, minimal midrange loss with more top end.

I must still decide between S3HL, S4 or S4HL, but at this point, I am leaning towards S3HL, the page before shows a 40 WHP gain with those! The motor is used for drifting and spends more time at redline than conventional road racing, where an upshift would occur. If the powerband is limited to 6500-7000, then there is less of a chance of throwing a rocker.

My setup:

S13 SR20DET
GT2871R .64 52 Trim
Haltech PS1000
555cc Injectors

323 WHP @ 15 PSI on Dyno Dynanamics

Looking to do Cams, Intake Manifold, 740cc Injectors and 20 PSI next to get around 400whp.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:21 AM   #3366
gotta240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
gotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Whats the difference in a low boost vs high boost tune? Shouldn't a high boost tune be just fine for daily driving as long as the injectors/turbo, etc are the same?
gotta240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:14 AM   #3367
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Screw the intake manifold you wont need it for 400whp on that setup, use that money for the retune and gas
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:19 AM   #3368
zombiewolf513
BANNED

zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Sorry for double post, but i think the only difference is boost control settings. Youre trims and timing are going to be different for corresponding boost levels, so if you have a tune for say 22psi you should be able to run 8psi through the whole power band if you wanted to (asuming you didnt change the turbo or other engine components). I daily a 22psi tune with no hi/low switch. Of course my engine is built for it, but most of the time i dont even pop out of vacuum unless i need to pass someone or im drifting. I honestly dont see a point in having two settings if you have a solid tune and ability to control your throttle. I know i tend to accidently or incidently post misinformation sometimes so someone correct me if im wrong.
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:39 AM   #3369
Q.Smooth127
Zilvia Junkie

Q.Smooth127 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiewolf513 View Post
Sorry for double post, but i think the only difference is boost control settings. Youre trims and timing are going to be different for corresponding boost levels, so if you have a tune for say 22psi you should be able to run 8psi through the whole power band if you wanted to. I daily a 22psi tune with no hi/low switch. Of course my engine is built for it, but most of the time i dont even pop out of vacuum unless i need to pass someone. I honestly dont see a point in having two settings if you have a solid tune and ability to control your throttle. I know i tend to accidently or incidently post misinformation sometimes so someone correct me if im wrong.
you pretty correct. I mean if we both wrong, then i sorry too lol.

i daily'd my all stock internal SR (other then ARP studs and an apexi HG... which really isnt much of an internal mod anyway) on 18lbs wit my gt2871r + z32 maf setup, and on a daily communte, i barely ever pounded on it unless i was late for work or something. And the SR is still holdin strong from over 2 years since i tuned it. Just regular driving and occasional spirited driving.

A good tune and that shit will be fine. The only time i could see not dailyin on high ass boost is if you drive like an idiot and redline it everytime you in the car for like a year everyday lol. Its just using common sense you know?
Q.Smooth127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #3370
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BlackZenkiS14
Ok, so I'm going to go look at a GT2871R tonight that a buddy is selling, he thinks it might need a rebuild, but that seems strange because it can't have too many miles on it. And he says it has a bit of shaft play. Now being a ball bearing turbo, I know these inherently have a little bit of play, but how much is too much? And in/out or up/down?

He's only asking 300 for it total, so it could be a crazy good deal! Lol
Old 07-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #3371
Tom N
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Tom N is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Keep in mind rebuilding a BB turbo is not like a journal bearing turbo. Most people just replace the chra.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #3372
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
Keep in mind rebuilding a BB turbo is not like a journal bearing turbo. Most people just replace the chra.
Which will cost you $600-800.

To my knowledge if the bearings are bad, thats your only option.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #3373
Tom N
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Which will cost you $600-800.

To my knowledge if the bearings are bad, thats your only option.
It's your only sensible option. I know there are people out there that will attempt BB rebuilds. But they seldom last very long. It's a waste of money IMO. Just get a new chra.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #3374
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Yea exactly, I knew that, so I wasn't willing to buy it unless it wasn't actually blown. But I looked at it, bearings audibly sounded like garbage. plus, it was the .86 hot side, which I don't really care for. especially since I want the GTX2867, but figured if this was a good enough deal I could be in for it.

I bailed on it, gonna keep saving for that GTX...
Old 07-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #3375
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
I must still decide between S3HL, S4 or S4HL, but at this point, I am leaning towards S3HL, the page before shows a 40 WHP gain with those! The motor is used for drifting and spends more time at redline than conventional road racing, where an upshift would occur. If the powerband is limited to 6500-7000, then there is less of a chance of throwing a rocker.
If you're going to be hanging out in the top end, I'd go with the S4HL's IMO.

Looking to do Cams, Intake Manifold, 740cc Injectors and 20 PSI next to get around 400whp.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotta240 View Post
Whats the difference in a low boost vs high boost tune? Shouldn't a high boost tune be just fine for daily driving as long as the injectors/turbo, etc are the same?
There shouldn't be any difference unless high/low tunes involve race gas and then pump gas as timing/fueling would be different...but on a pump gas car that has been tuned properly it won't/shouldn't need two maps.

Quote:
Screw the intake manifold you wont need it for 400whp on that setup, use that money for the retune and gas
You would be hard pressed to make 400whp without an aftermarket intake manifold on the 2871/gtx2867 setup. The stock manifold (while sufficient) is not conducive to top end power production.

Quote:
Sorry for double post, but i think the only difference is boost control settings. Youre trims and timing are going to be different for corresponding boost levels, so if you have a tune for say 22psi you should be able to run 8psi through the whole power band if you wanted to (asuming you didnt change the turbo or other engine components). I daily a 22psi tune with no hi/low switch. Of course my engine is built for it, but most of the time i dont even pop out of vacuum unless i need to pass someone or im drifting. I honestly dont see a point in having two settings if you have a solid tune and ability to control your throttle. I know i tend to accidently or incidently post misinformation sometimes so someone correct me if im wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZenkiS14 View Post
I bailed on it, gonna keep saving for that GTX...

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 07-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #3376
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
Yeah, if you have a complete tune and not just a WOT tune. The MAF or MAP has different values for the flow vs demand. The timing map should be different at 8psi @ 6k rpm vs 22psi @ 6K rpm. But if someone did a WOT tune at 22psi and just filled in bulk(trimed) values at high rpm for lower flow you could run into some problems. Would be advisable to have a tuner clean up the map running 8psi if you are going to run a boost switch.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #3377
Tom N
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post

You would be hard pressed to make 400whp without an aftermarket intake manifold on the 2871/gtx2867 setup. The stock manifold (while sufficient) is not conducive to top end power production.
Any experience with a extrude honed intake off a S14/15 SR20?
Old 07-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #3378
S14DB
AFC #1

Quote:
On what? Won't fit on an S13.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:50 AM   #3379
AsleepAltima
Zilvia Addict

AsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Ok, so I'm going to go look at a GT2871R tonight that a buddy is selling, he thinks it might need a rebuild, but that seems strange because it can't have too many miles on it. And he says it has a bit of shaft play. Now being a ball bearing turbo, I know these inherently have a little bit of play, but how much is too much? And in/out or up/down?

He's only asking 300 for it total, so it could be a crazy good deal! Lol
ive got one you can have for 200. has about 1500 miles on it. oil line kinked and starved the chra. i have video of it if youre interested.
AsleepAltima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #3380
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Lol thanks man, but not interested at all. I don't want to spend the money rebuilding one.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #3381
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsleepAltima View Post
ive got one you can have for 200. has about 1500 miles on it. oil line kinked and starved the chra. i have video of it if youre interested.
Get it rebuilt, buy another and then bring your new car down to us and lets get some air cooled twin action happening

Quote:
Can't say I do, but the high port intakes are 'supposed' to make slightly better top end power...however for the cost of extrude honing a stocker, you can get a 'Freddy' for less and be fine. Just retap all the tappered thread holes or have a welder weld bungs on them and you'll be fine.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #3382
S14DB
AFC #1

Quote:
Lol thanks man, but not interested at all. I don't want to spend the money rebuilding one.
The value is in the housings. You drop a center section of your choosing in.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:50 AM   #3383
AsleepAltima
Zilvia Addict

AsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Get it rebuilt, buy another and then bring your new car down to us and lets get some air cooled twin action happening

how awesome would that be? lol

looking into these guys at the moment though...
Renegade Hybrids
Old 07-29-2013, 01:51 AM   #3384
AsleepAltima
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
yup. pure turbos is real close to where i live and dude said he can put whatever i want it for about 4-600 bucks, depending on which impellers i want.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #3385
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
I might know a guy with a 2871r?.....lol
Old 07-29-2013, 07:46 AM   #3386
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
Yea, but I would still rather have the .64 ex housing, and it's like 1200 for a gtx1867 chra...
Old 07-29-2013, 11:47 PM   #3387
sr20det_510
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
sr20det_510 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
So I know this thread is about the gt2871r but what about the turbonetics, precision, and or like the tomei Gsp, Isis turbos? With the same specs? Or is this a stupid question if so sorry!!
sr20det_510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:33 AM   #3388
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
inopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr20det_510 View Post
So I know this thread is about the gt2871r but what about the turbonetics, precision, and or like the tomei Gsp, Isis turbos? With the same specs? Or is this a stupid question if so sorry!!
stupid question to ask in the garrett thread but from what i have seen there are several options (superior) for 400whp and full boost under 4k rpm vs the gt2871
inopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:21 AM   #3389
sr20det_510
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
sr20det_510 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by inopsey View Post
stupid question to ask in the garrett thread but from what i have seen there are several options (superior) for 400whp and full boost under 4k rpm vs the gt2871
Sorry for the offense!! Thanks
sr20det_510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #3390
Ka-t in progress
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Ka-t in progress is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr20det_510 View Post
I'm running the precision 5128(.64) and I love it so far. Turbo pulls great and is very smooth. No mounting issues with the stock redtop mani if that is something you was curious about
Ka-t in progress is offline   Reply With Quote