Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #3331
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Dan MAX USA View Post
Cody, its all about getting the roll center and ackermen correct, and the advantage to drifters is steering quickness, angle, and drastically reduced ackerman
With that considered though, I'll put out a few thoughts of my own. These could easily be wrong as I'm not a super duper chassis guy, but do think I know enough (well, we know how assuming can work for me haha)

1. How are we to know if the stock Knuckle/setup is true zero'd ackerman in regard to a steering sweep. Could the factory setup potentially be negative, thus making less ackerman harmful to a degree (as in, super amounts of toe in to me would scrub itself to death, thus causing the car to push)?

While my LCA mod obviously adds more ackerman (KPI all of that stuff) to the factory setup, what I would really be curious is if it's adding more to setup that already has + ackerman, or if it's taking a setup that may potentially be - ackerman and putting it slightly to + ackerman?

2. To me, on a track car, I don't really ever crank my wheel 'so far' to either lock (the only places where I would, we're going so slow that it really isn't making a different) to see where there would really be a huge ackerman change...

...so with that said at a normal 'track' turning radius, wouldn't you maybe want some positive ackerman angle to help with a bit of turn in? I'd assume that with your turning wheel 'toeing out' into a corner helps to a degree vs hurts? I know you're still scrubbing the tire to a point, but IMO (or at least to what my preference is) I'd rather have a car that turns in sharp, as I can then maybe get on the throttle sooner on corner exit, and not worry about it oversteering so quicky.

Again, just thoughts out there. Even for a drift car I can't see how a ton Negative ackerman being beneficial as now the front inside wheel is toeing in while cornering...that just seems like it would cause front end push more than turn in...

(again, pardon my random thoughts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
PSM and DW guys get 45mm correction. Yours looks like... 20mm? Plus they give a nice bump in steering speed.
It's between 1.5 and 1.75 inches IIRC...so we'll say maybe 40mm?

In regard to Ackerman, see if my 'musings' above make any sense...I could be wrong, but it's maybe due to my interpretation.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2011, 10:39 PM   #3332
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
You can possibly pick up from their shop, but it's still my design that I have Mike and Juan do the machining for some parts.
Yeah they made that clear. Do not worry no ethical dilemma here
Old 11-13-2011, 09:08 AM   #3333
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
For a track car ackerman doesn't really affect things much. Like Cody said, not much steering input in most corners to really build up a ton of angle difference.

That said, ackerman is mostly useful to keep the inner front tire at its optimal slip angle, which would probably mean negative ackerman for a high speed corner, but it would absolutely suck for slow speed corners.

I don't think the stock setup has 100% ackerman, but it's been a while since I messed with all the geometry. It was close to 100%, but a little bit off one way.

Around stock works fine on the track, and even more ackerman works fine on the track (maybe helps lower speed stuff a bit more, but higher speed stuff you unweight the inside front so much I don't think there could be a difference).

For a drift car obviously this all doesn't apply.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #3334
'97 S14 SE Turbo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
'97 S14 SE Turbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to '97 S14 SE Turbo
Quote:
I think you may be a tad, just a tad, biased there.
Yes, a tab bit biased there. But nice work on the brake package. I don't follow that and didn't know about the double bleeders. I stand corrected.
'97 S14 SE Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:34 AM   #3335
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (79)
DC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13silvia123 View Post
i've been wondering for awhile now if your knuckle mod will work on my SPL LCA.
It will work with any LCA, what made you wonder if it wouldn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
It's between 1.5 and 1.75 inches IIRC...so we'll say maybe 40mm?

In regard to Ackerman, see if my 'musings' above make any sense...I could be wrong, but it's maybe due to my interpretation.
Are you measuring between the ball joint and the knuckle to get that measurement? The question is what's the difference between stock length and yours, not overall distance.

Nissan got the Ackerman right for grip but...It's good to think about these specs, and you can see what actual change your alteration made by putting a straight edge on the wheels lip, and marking the angle per steering wheel half turns with tape lines on the ground (versus stock)

But originally your question was are the aftermarket companies knuckles worth the difference in money versus your DIY mod. If you are happy with your cars performance then maybe it's not worth it for you, but technically our grip spec knuckles are a better way to correct RC without side effects, and for drifting, the new knuckles are far better than DIY options.
How To order: You can order directly from our zilvia advertiser threads. When you add to cart, you get an instant shipping estimate, & the cart will remember all of your items as you move between forum threads and our website www.poweredbymax.net until you remove them or check out. I can also calculate estimates manually for you but the cart's estimates are way faster and more accurate.
Order Inquiry: IM me your real name and paypal address.
Thanks for your business!
DC Dan MAX USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #3336
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by '97 S14 SE Turbo View Post
Yes, a tab bit biased there. But nice work on the brake package. I don't follow that and didn't know about the double bleeders. I stand corrected.
The comment about it being "the best" was more than a bit tongue in cheek. I'd gladly trade my BBK setup for a set of PFC forged monoblocks.

It's still the cheapest way to go for track usage though, even over stock, which was its primary design target. So it does that very very well.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #3337
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Dan MAX USA View Post
It will work with any LCA, what made you wonder if it wouldn't?

Are you measuring between the ball joint and the knuckle to get that measurement? The question is what's the difference between stock length and yours, not overall distance.

Nissan got the Ackerman right for grip but...It's good to think about these specs, and you can see what actual change your alteration made by putting a straight edge on the wheels lip, and marking the angle per steering wheel half turns with tape lines on the ground (versus stock)

But originally your question was are the aftermarket companies knuckles worth the difference in money versus your DIY mod. If you are happy with your cars performance then maybe it's not worth it for you, but technically our grip spec knuckles are a better way to correct RC without side effects, and for drifting, the new knuckles are far better than DIY options.
Yeah, mine was maybe 20mm over stock and I had to trim the shit out of my LCA to keep it from hitting my rotor. Even if the aftermarket LCA has less material, I would doubt you can get more then 22-25mms of correction on a DIY set up.

With just driving my car around on the street I noticed a huge difference with the Pro Knuckle mod. It feels way flatter and more stable, with much quicker steering input. I can't wait to test these things out on the track....I just wish you all had offered this stuff in 2009 when I was building my original DIY shit. I essentially wasted quite a bit of money.

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:30 AM   #3338
ch1873857
Nissanaholic!

ch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to ch1873857
ok. sadly i have not been able to completely keep up with this thread. i could sort through 84 pages of reading to try to find the answer. got 2 questions.

first. i managed to get my hands on a pair of R.Y.O. drift knuckles

i know nothing about them other than i got a sick deal along with these

about 1200 for both.. my question is, does anyone know anything about these knuckles? they are pretty rare and i bought them before the PRO knuckle came out from PBM which im still contemplating getting. since i bought pretty much everything else PBM carries..

i can tell right away that it wont help my roll center or ackerman probably. Pretty sure they will just help my angle. which is ok i guess, not sure which tie rods to use though as far as length is concerned. im still deployed so i cant play with it but it would be nice to have my ducks in a row when i get home even if that means picking up some pro knuckles. any help would be much appreciated.

second. has anyone heard or used these DME angled tie rods i guess instead off using spacers to lower the tie rod to parallel the angle the rods to prevent binding of the ball joint. these are fairly cheap at 110 for the ends and 110 for the inner. thoughts?
ch1873857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #3339
bataangpinoy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
bataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
try em out, they seem like they'd hold up well.
the only thing of concern would be the added stress to the outer because of the slight angle..

how would you make it bolt up to the s13? are they the same PTC?
bataangpinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #3340
ch1873857
Nissanaholic!

ch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the rough
the ends? they are made for s13 so yeah i would assume they would. Ikeya Formula just brought some out. pillowball type. like 350 bucks though. may be worth trying but i hate being the guinea pig
Old 11-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #3341
bataangpinoy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
bataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1873857 View Post
the ends? they are made for s13 so yeah i would assume they would. Ikeya Formula just brought some out. pillowball type. like 350 bucks though. may be worth trying but i hate being the guinea pig
excuse my ignorance. when i saw DME i immediatiely thought mitsubishi application. i should have read it more carefully.
bataangpinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #3342
ch1873857
Nissanaholic!

oh no worries. you just confused me at first. wasnt sure if you were talking about the knuckles or the rod ends. ive never even heard of DME...
Old 11-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #3343
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Motary
Well, here it is:

Wisefab kit for S chassis:

Video

65 degrees of lock and lower balljoint pickup point lowered 56mm!

Motary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #3344
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Well that's pretty retarded they wont even show what it looks like.

Instagram - SJKnoop
Old 11-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #3345
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Motary
I suppose all in good time?

Updated BMW kit is like this:

Motary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #3346
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Wow, ackerman adjustment, 56mm roll center, 65 degrees of lock? Wisefab looks to be killing it on paper. I'm looking forward to more videos!!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #3347
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Now people need to get to work on rear suspension geometry so we have like 5 options for that too, hahaha.

Instagram - SJKnoop
Old 11-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #3348
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Wow, ackerman adjustment, 56mm roll center, 65 degrees of lock? Wisefab looks to be killing it on paper. I'm looking forward to more videos!!
omg! omg!!!!!! lets wait for PBM to REPLY now....

Old 11-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #3349
icedsole
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (24)
icedsole is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
that wisefab kit looks silly. big angle is cool and stuff but i think that is too much imo

does anyone else feel the same way? can we share feels?
Old 11-23-2011, 09:03 PM   #3350
ch1873857
Nissanaholic!

dont worry about that. i think its too much also. wheels almost 90. in the suspension world to much and too little of a certain thing is a bad thing. in this case i could definately having adverse effects. i couldnt even begin to explain why i think that but i agree with you.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #3351
s13 loverr
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
s13 loverr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Wow, thats a great job on their part is it just me or do they have zero camber at full lock? I am super interested to see how these turn out! Paired with psm's tie rod spacers they could have crazy amounts of angle.
s13 loverr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #3352
ch1873857
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 loverr View Post
Wow, thats a great job on their part is it just me or do they have zero camber at full lock? I am super interested to see how these turn out! Paired with psm's tie rod spacers they could have crazy amounts of angle.
yeah crazy, stupid, useless amounts of angle
Old 11-23-2011, 10:48 PM   #3353
IIIXziuR
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
IIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Guys we need a kit that delivers complete 90 degrees of turning angle.

They have not yet seen REAL backwards entry.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:13 PM   #3354
Otto347
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Otto347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Just throw some Omi-directional wheels on, save some time....

Otto347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:28 AM   #3355
swiftmini
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
swiftmini is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Personally I dont think that new kit has as much angle as they like you too believe!

Always looks like more with no bumper and clever picture angles make it look more!

Geomasters or pro knuckle for the win

I honestly reckon my geomasters have atleast the same as wise flab
Old 11-24-2011, 12:25 PM   #3356
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Wisefab kits are no joke guys. Who else do you know that 3d models the front suspension before they go about modding it?

Their 3-series kits are very well thought out and very effective in competition, I'm betting this kit will be just as good. It probably won't be as cheap as the PSM or Driftworks kit, but it will be just as good IMO.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #3357
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Not really digging the wisefab kit.

Not sure why.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:08 PM   #3358
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Well I know now what i'm getting for christmas haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95KA-Turbo View Post
Now people need to get to work on rear suspension geometry so we have like 5 options for that too, hahaha.
Apparently someone is trying to copy their design already so they blurred it out for now.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:42 PM   #3359
Pantaloons
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Pantaloons is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Explaining the Wisefab Nissan kit - YouTube

im interested to see the kit
Old 11-24-2011, 03:12 PM   #3360
articdragon192
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
articdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to articdragon192
Quote:
Originally Posted by icedsole View Post
that wisefab kit looks silly. big angle is cool and stuff but i think that is too much imo

does anyone else feel the same way? can we share feels?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gatmwytEdn0
I dunno, looks pretty awesome.

Need help?
Click here
Still stumped?
Try this
Can't find what you're looking for?
Here you go.
articdragon192 is offline   Reply With Quote